I never been that much filled with sadness, anger, and disappointment as with the last chapter release. [Spoilers, any gw2 plot/story]

hugo.4705

On 5/2/2021 at 2:44 AM, Pyriin.3291 said:

90% of players: "this content sucks!!! Gameplay is horrendous and killed lore and story"

Anet: "players are expressing their discontent on the forums??? Shut it down and prepare the next wave of crap content"

10% of players: we love you anet we will play anything you give us, here is more money for skins in gemstore"

How do you know those statistics? Do you have access to some analytics that we don't know about?

On 5/1/2021 at 12:01 PM, ProtoGunner.4953 said:

Dude chill, you talk like it's your whole life story. It's a game. I play the franchise since 2006 and I don't really care what happened. They move on, everything comes to an end. Just play it from time to time, go out, lie on a beautiful meadow and enjoy the warmth of the sun.

The fact that people get emotional over their favorite novels, games, tv shows, movie franchises etc proves that those things are as much part of their lives as the RL aspects of it. You can get invested in a fictional thing just as much as you can in anything tangible. Or at least a portion of humanity can; I guess it all depends on the power of your imagination and the level of your empathy for fictional characters. Star Wars, Game of Thrones, the now expanded Harry Potter universe - they all have vocal critics, and for good reason if you consider the contents dear to your heart.

Of course, I agree that actually crying in pain and frustration over a ruined franchise can't be healthy for the heart. 😉

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Plagiarised.2865 said:

How do you know those statistics? Do you have access to some analytics that we don't know about?

nope , my previous coment you replied, was regarding the poll that was shutdown, where the overwelming majority of players that voted actualy consideded the patch to be pure trash or didnt actualy bothered to play it and a very low amount of players found it good

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Pyriin.3291 said:

nope , my previous coment you replied, was regarding the poll that was shutdown, where the overwelming majority of players that voted actualy consideded the patch to be pure trash or didnt actualy bothered to play it and a very low amount of players found it good

In that case I want to apologise for jumping the gun. But I hope people understand that a poll conducted on the forums is inherently not going to give an accurate view of a playerbase. Its too small of a sample size and way too self-selecting. 

I feel in many ways like the op. Story/Lorewise i'm so frustrated how things are played out. The whole saga was not really my cup of things until Jormag showed really up. Jormag was well written and interresting like Joko. He pulled me into the saga wanted me to know what's going on next. I was invested into what will he do where will this go? Everything he was talking about something felt like there was more into it, hidden deeper layers of his sight on tyria and the actual events. Most time i asked myself if it's his real truth he speaks or is he just trying manipulating everyone playing some type of 3D chess. Overall he had so much potential. Just like Joko who was a really good villain too. An even bigger upset was the treatment ANet gave Kralkatorrik.... There was so much potential for an more Asura based expantion leading us into the earthen depths of Tyria and give Kralk the story arc which he deserves imo in retrospective from GW1 on.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Pyriin.3291 said:

I imagine it was shut down because they used the term "pure trash." As bad as it was, and as telling as it is about how chaotic and unorganized the studio seems to have been over the past few years.. calling it "pure trash" was probably a bit much.

Was it subpar? Sure. But it's still free content. And frankly, I get the impression by the total silence about the episode, the lack of a guild chat post-release considering the content covered, and the fact that the blog post and road map were released along with TWO free black lion keys.. I'm guessing they're pretty disappointed with it as well and knew how poorly it would be received.

It was probably also an extremely small team working on it and calling it "pure trash" is probably not great morale for the people responsible for trying to salvage the mess that they were left with. 

I still think that it would be wise to not postpone news about the expansion for some "tidal wave" announcement though. Release small things here and there. Not because the player base is eager to learn more, and not to do damage control for THIS release.. but to help temper expectations for the expansion itself. It may be great, it may not. I'm sure some people will see it whatever way they choose regardless of what they have planned but I don't know that complete silence is the best plan of action. I guess "complete silence" is a bit hyperbolic considering they DID give us a roadmap and reveal information about next gen legendaries, but I'm hoping they have some plan to potentially pick up momentum and keep it rolling.

• Like 1

Have only played up until Visions of the Past - and just started with Drizzlewood and the story there. But I noticed some different things I disliked in the past already.

Deaths really feel meaningless and I do not really care. Probably the best here was core story and later in Maguma a bit with Trahearne. (Though the story felt rushed at the end.) I also liked the chapter (with Demmi) in Lake Doric - as a player that joined order of whipsers back then with the first main character.

But Almorra and her death ... I really didn't care. The visions of the past chapter was nice. And I immediately recognized some of the warband from Ryland when I started Drizzlewood and they appeared somewhere there. But Almorra: The eerie feeling in Bjora was great at the beginning. They also used that spirits that showed where Jhavi moved. They should have shown a bit more dramatic death of Almorra there. The way they moved this to the vision of the past ... it didn't really create a good atmosphere for me.

Now I really had hoped for some bromance with Braham and Ryland ... or Ryland + Rox and Braham +  Jhavi. (The only cross species "shipping" I did was Anise and Canach lol. But Anise technisally is "married" to Jenna only lol. And those good moments stopped when Canach got released. Also the Goldclaw writer is writing about cross-species romances.)

I fear it might go to friendship moments between Rox and Braham (where they bait with a possible romance that isn't really possible or can only be platonic since they can't have kids). When I spoilered myself about the last story chapter (the one recent as of now) and read about Braham being a champion of Jormag I was like "wtf, what did they do? he managed to stand up to Drakkar and had the help of the 3 minor lost spirits and even turned into wolf ... how could this happen?"

And the future probably will just bring the usual Dragons Watch without any new changes I guess. (Hopefully a bit more Kasmeer and Jory moments at least then.) Would be sad if they just stop mentioning Jhavi later (or if she just appears as vigil leader every now and then). What about Bangar? What happened to him? Last time I spoilered myself it seems like the player beat him and he is still alive. Would be fun if he joined Aurene's soldiers (similar to Caithe). But I guess they will just let him disapper as well? (= getting unimportant ... alive but not mentioned again.)

So far I mainly dislike how they introduced chars and what they did to existing thars. (Then again: it is a matter of taste and I'm only starting with the "no quarter" chapter and have future stuff only  a few fragments of the story that I read in the wiki.)

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Plagiarised.2865 said:

In that case I want to apologise for jumping the gun. But I hope people understand that a poll conducted on the forums is inherently not going to give an accurate view of a playerbase. Its too small of a sample size and way too self-selecting. 

It's accurate enough for most social sciences, hilariously enough...

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/4/2021 at 2:10 PM, Ashantara.8731 said:

The fact that people get emotional over their favorite novels, games, tv shows, movie franchises etc proves that those things are as much part of their lives as the RL aspects of it. You can get invested in a fictional thing just as much as you can in anything tangible. Or at least a portion of humanity can; I guess it all depends on the power of your imagination and the level of your empathy for fictional characters. Star Wars, Game of Thrones, the now expanded Harry Potter universe - they all have vocal critics, and for good reason if you consider the contents dear to your heart.

Of course, I agree that actually crying in pain and frustration over a ruined franchise can't be healthy for the heart. 😉

I understand that emotion, but it also shows a certain form of decadence. It shows if you don't have any other concerns or at least if this concerns you so much, you must otherwise have a rather uneventful life. Concern is fine, it's not that I don't care at all. But I don't feel eligible to write such a pathos of emotions over a franchise.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, ProtoGunner.4953 said:

I understand that emotion, but it also shows a certain form of decadence. It shows if you don't have any other concerns or at least if this concerns you so much, you must otherwise have a rather uneventful life. Concern is fine, it's not that I don't care at all. But I don't feel eligible to write such a pathos of emotions over a franchise.

I do get what you're saying in terms of "decadence" - only if your life is pretty solid on all of the essentials do you have the luxury of caring this much about a game.

For me though, it's less about the privilege and more about the "I've tied so much of my emotions into someone else's product entirely in someone else's control." Why? Why would anyone ever do that?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I can't understand why you'd get attached to something someone else created. I've felt physical pain when thinking about what's happened to the Star Wars film canon, and feel a real sense of loss when looking over what's happened to the Aliens franchise over the years. Of course, this range of feelings also includes GW2 and the many lost opportunities it represents. But all the same, those were things I merely enjoyed as a consumer, and they were never really mine to direct. It stings when they go in a different direction than I like, but that just means we get to part ways.

To me it's the same feeling of confusion I get when people get so worked up about their local sports teams, especially when these teams pack up and leave for another city because - GASP! - they are a business, not your neighbors and friends! The fans never had a say in what the organization does in the first place. You were always an outsider to the product, and the people selling it to you were only deceiving you into thinking you had a greater role because that's what gets them paid.

Edited by voltaicbore.8012
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1