Can someone explain this "Dragonstorm" to me?

BadHealer.3608

So you got there, fight a little, jump a little, shoot a little and than you are the the [Group Event] Defeat the Dragon Champions and wait till the time runs out and you got kicked out of the instance?

Shouldn't there something more? Like enemies that you can fight against?

• Like 1

Of course! the really pressing question is, why there isn't? and no, I'm not expecting the typified answer "because they're working on an expansion" since that explains nothing, neither in the genre nor in this game's history itself - they could've done more sensible releases whilst still working on an expansion, or if they couldn't, they still could've done something else that didn't completely and mindlessly botch not only the Saga but the long-running story of the elder dragons. Many have already pondered and offered many different ways they could've gone about this and yet, somehow, the direction of the game seems to have chosen the worst possible way.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

To be honest ... what more does it need? Everything that was necessary for the confrontation to take place was already done in the previous Saga episodes. It really doesn't make sense the way most people imagine how this should have worked where we fight the dragons ... the whole IBS set us up to facilitate the dragon confrontation on purpose because of 'balance' to magic. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Well, maybe at least some loot at the end and not always a failed instance?

Seeing the champions get killed from 10% than than stand around for 20 minutes till you get kick out of the instance sounds so lacklustre? Shouldn't there any way to win?

I found the idea that if you start "Dragonstorm" you are anyway designated to fail really a bad concept. If you play this, you wont get loot, you will waste your time and the whole thing is pointless? Why did they expect player to play something that they can't win?

13 minutes ago, BadHealer.3608 said:

Seeing the champions get killed from 10% than than stand around for 20 minutes till you get kick out of the instance sounds so lacklustre? Shouldn't there any way to win?

I found the idea that if you start "Dragonstorm" you are anyway designated to fail really a bad concept. If you play this, you wont get loot, you will waste your time and the whole thing is pointless? Why did they expect player to play something that they can't win?

I've never failed a dragonstand and I've done it 7 times. I'm not even sure how you fail it. Are you entering a private instance by yourself maybe and not waiting until the public instance is open?

Edited by Vayne.8563
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, BadHealer.3608 said:

Well, the encounter isn't always a failed instance and it does give loot so something you are saying is wrong here. If you are failing it, it's something you or the people in the instance are doing wrong. The content isn't designed to be something players can't win ... because they do win. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Sobx.1758 said:

@BadHealer.3608 tbh I don't understand what you mean by "defeat champions, wait and then get kicked". You complete the event, get rewards and then you can choose to go out of the instance. It seems you're just... failing for some reason?

Apparently sometimes the champions get stuck in cc animation without the cc bar.

People can then not complete the fight and get no loot, I guess this is what happened.

• Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

Apparently sometimes the champions get stuck in cc animation without the cc bar.

People can then not complete the fight and get no loot, I guess this is what happened.

Are you saying that there is a way to win this? I got this 5 times in a row, that is why I'm asking. What can you do to make sure that you can win this encounter? Are there any tricks to win it?

10 hours ago, Orion Templar.4589 said:

Sounds like you've had a streak of bad luck hitting that bug.

Well, 7 times the champions got stuck in the 10% phase so far. Sounds like I'm pretty "lucky" so far. Maybe I will once finish this instance when I hit "unlucky" 13...

I think the main failure is the way this final chapter has been brought to us.
I understand they have limited resources. I also understand that plans where changed cause icebrood saga would have been the main focus and they shifted this to also work on an expansion.
What did not work was splitting the final release in four tiny bits. Those bits where very underwhelming and the entire episode did not contain more content then a single episode before (and with the lack of a map, it is more like it is less).

I really wonder what could have been wrong with a statement from Arenanet a year or so ago that sounded like this:
"We announced a while ago we where not planning on a new expansion. We heard you. This was a bad decission . We are going to release an expansion and we have started working on it. So far the good news, but I do hope you understand that we will not continue the icebrood saga as it was planned, it will be more like a regular living world seasons. simular to the previous season. We do understand this is not what you hoped for, but while also working on an expansion it is the best we can do. We promise we still do our best to make it an exiting seasons!"

I'm not a pr-guy and think they can make a much better post, but something simular would have made a lot of difference.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, BadHealer.3608 said:

Well, 7 times the champions got stuck in the 10% phase so far. Sounds like I'm pretty "lucky" so far. Maybe I will once finish this instance when I hit "unlucky" 13...

Aint the 10% phase when you go to crystals and press special action to help aurene absorb magic by doing the spirit bomb thing?

No cc is needed there.

I think one of the annoyances for me is less about the boring DRM style two champion boss fight and more...

Why are these champions seemingly not interacting with each other? Why are they not fighting each other?

Why are the dragons not fighting each other and just staring from opposite sides of the field? 

We're there to prevent the scales from tipping but the actual gameplay is them standing 60 feet apart not interacting with each other waiting to be beaten down. Is it even possible to fail this?

I feel like a more interesting encounter would be one where the two dragons ARE fighting each other, and we have to do breakbar damage or something and cc it to keep it from killing the other. Maybe during this time we can at least show the Braham and Ryland fighting each other. I don't know. There's just no interaction between them outside of a random guardian bubble that we have to break the bar of.  

It honestly looks more like these two dragons are working WITH each other than against, up until the moment they get in a fist fight. 

• Like 1

What is dragon storm?

I think it has something to do with the eye of the north. There are always a lot of people standing around there but I have no idea what is happening there. Ive heard there is an instance ever couple of hours.. How do can you join it and how do you know when it starts?

13 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

Aint the 10% phase when you go to crystals and press special action to help aurene absorb magic by doing the spirit bomb thing?

No cc is needed there.

I believe he's referring to the third break the champions defiance bar bit.

I saw that get stuck once, you break the bar and that event ends but Braham and Ryland get stuck, keep holding hands and staring into one another's eyes until the meta ends. 

7 hours ago, Pifil.5193 said:

I believe he's referring to the third break the champions defiance bar bit.

I saw that get stuck once, you break the bar and that event ends but Braham and Ryland get stuck, keep holding hands and staring into one another's eyes until the meta ends. 

Yes, 10 times in a row for me.

I saw videos about this. Other seems to be much lucky and just break the bar, got flown back and get a video and reward.

For me Dragonstrom is that same minus the flow back the video and the reward.

17 minutes ago, BadHealer.3608 said:

Yes, 10 times in a row for me.

I saw videos about this. Other seems to be much lucky and just break the bar, got flown back and get a video and reward.

For me Dragonstrom is that same minus the flow back the video and the reward.

Wow, that's completely amazing to me. I've done it every day since it launched last week - I had just one time where we caused them to fight endlessly, and once that happened, the bulk of the players joined a commander, we all left and started a private instance to run it successfully.

It's a bug, and I'm not sure how you've had it happen so many times in a row. It's almost unbelievable.

It seems that players are able to damage the clashing champions when they are only supposed to break the bar, and if they hit 0 health before the bar breaks, it bugs the fight. I've heard people in chat saying it's conditions that are doing this - because all power damage is 0'd out from what I can see. Are you playing some kind of crazy condi build and causing it to happen for your entire public instance somehow?

Next time, before the 10%, tell everyone in map chat to CC ONLY and no conditions. Hopefully that will slow any damage down enough. Drop a United Legions Portable Waystation if you can so everyone has access to EMP (if they have the mastery). I cannot possibly imagine this would happen to you again if you take the right steps. And, with luck, by tomorrow this will be fixed so it can't happen at all.

13 hours ago, Mordante.8743 said:

What is dragon storm?

I think it has something to do with the eye of the north. There are always a lot of people standing around there but I have no idea what is happening there. Ive heard there is an instance ever couple of hours.. How do can you join it and how do you know when it starts?

Here you go:  https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Dragonstorm

4 hours ago, DaG.5103 said:

Wow, that's completely amazing to me. I've done it every day since it launched last week - I had just one time where we caused them to fight endlessly, and once that happened, the bulk of the players joined a commander, we all left and started a private instance to run it successfully.

It's a bug, and I'm not sure how you've had it happen so many times in a row. It's almost unbelievable.

It seems that players are able to damage the clashing champions when they are only supposed to break the bar, and if they hit 0 health before the bar breaks, it bugs the fight. I've heard people in chat saying it's conditions that are doing this - because all power damage is 0'd out from what I can see. Are you playing some kind of crazy condi build and causing it to happen for your entire public instance somehow?

Next time, before the 10%, tell everyone in map chat to CC ONLY and no conditions. Hopefully that will slow any damage down enough. Drop a United Legions Portable Waystation if you can so everyone has access to EMP (if they have the mastery). I cannot possibly imagine this would happen to you again if you take the right steps. And, with luck, by tomorrow this will be fixed so it can't happen at all.

Nah cant be that I burn when I cc on my renegade.

Saw in another thread that ccing with rollerbeatle was not good tho use bunny instead.

On 5/1/2021 at 5:57 PM, Perisemiotics.4579 said:

Of course! the really pressing question is, why there isn't? and no, I'm not expecting the typified answer "because they're working on an expansion" since that explains nothing, neither in the genre nor in this game's history itself - they could've done more sensible releases whilst still working on an expansion, or if they couldn't, they still could've done something else that didn't completely and mindlessly botch not only the Saga but the long-running story of the elder dragons. Many have already pondered and offered many different ways they could've gone about this and yet, somehow, the direction of the game seems to have chosen the worst possible way.

"because they're working on an expansion" would be the lamest excuse ever, anyway.

The expansion is as much part of the 'main/core content' as the living world is.

You can't just drop a part of the game because you're working on the next part.

That would be like rushing and cramming star wars V through the drain because the director and most actors are working on star wars VI.

that skritt don't fly

• Like 4