Jump to content
  • Sign Up

Please make the world bosses harder


Recommended Posts

As the conversation has moved on to players doing essentially nothing in the pre-events (e.g. pinata) being rewarded as though they had contributed, and the Verdant Brink matriarch could be brought in here as well, the main solution would appear that doing the pre-events should count towards the main reward.

 

Want to afk, or simply not bother with pre-events, get some rewards for hitting the boss. But don't get as much as people who actively contributed to make the boss event start. Because if the pre-events aren't done within the time, there is no boss that will spawn. And no rewards. So leeching wouldn't be rewarded. Yes the people trying to do the pre-event won't get rewarded either, but they were never in a position to have this happen.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/2/2021 at 3:40 AM, mindcircus.1506 said:

The players who include World Bosses in their gameplay loop have little interest in challenge.

They do so for social reasons primarily.
The rewards aren't stupidly out of control. The rewards for Teq (unless a player really lucks out with an Ascended drop) are pretty in line with the low effort "everyone press 1" gameplay style. I doubt an hour on a world boss train gets you more than 8 gold per hour average
And yet these events are usually packed.

Lots of people enjoy these activities, they aren't unbalancing the economy, the vast majority of players doing them are there because they are easy.
 

The only thing that does need to be looked at is the blatant leeching like players getting full rewards of the Choya Pinata without working the pre events, or the ones who afk, tag the boss a couple times and then AFK again.

That goes against TOS but its impossible to catch them heh. I just read some of their AFK rules and this was one of them. It's not allowed to participate in events while being AFK

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would say make the world bosses more engaging but we know ANet would not go back to totally rework those, so I would suggest to just scrap the old world bosses style and make them more interesting as a fight.
Make the dragon minions/big monsters move around a lot stomping, if the problem is the size scalethem down a little so that you can get the right balance of player engagement with moving/dodging.
Stationary bosses that move maybe once are not that interesting to me.
And yes make them more dangerous for players.
In a perfect world I would love to see Anet take inspiration from monster hunter fights for their bosses.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jin.8501 said:

That goes against TOS but its impossible to catch them heh. I just read some of their AFK rules and this was one of them. It's not allowed to participate in events while being AFK

Please quote the relevant passage from the ToS where it says a player cannot go AFK during an event.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Hesione.9412 said:

As the conversation has moved on to players doing essentially nothing in the pre-events (e.g. pinata) being rewarded as though they had contributed, and the Verdant Brink matriarch could be brought in here as well, the main solution would appear that doing the pre-events should count towards the main reward.

 

Want to afk, or simply not bother with pre-events, get some rewards for hitting the boss. But don't get as much as people who actively contributed to make the boss event start. Because if the pre-events aren't done within the time, there is no boss that will spawn. And no rewards. So leeching wouldn't be rewarded. Yes the people trying to do the pre-event won't get rewarded either, but they were never in a position to have this happen.

I don't see the point of this either ... Re-program old content just to be heavy handed on a few leechers? I mean ... who cares?

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hard content is very ableist! Can't have that. Each and every one who plays the game is entitled to each and every reward. PlAy HoW yOu WaNt ThEy SaId!!!
/sarcasm

For realsies, I wouldn't mind it, but sooner or later, every encounter becomes "easy" as a player gets accustomed to it. And with such a wide spread of "skill" within the community, it's even harder to find that sweet spot. As much as I'd like to have some more challenging world bosses, I think challenging group content is best developped as raids/strikes and the like.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Hesione.9412 said:

As the conversation has moved on to players doing essentially nothing in the pre-events (e.g. pinata) being rewarded as though they had contributed, and the Verdant Brink matriarch could be brought in here as well, the main solution would appear that doing the pre-events should count towards the main reward.

 

What is the problem with the matriarch? To my understanding (I might be mistaken), there are no pre-events attached to it, it spawns at exactly the same time during the event cycle, irrespective of whatever outposts are held or not on the map below. The people waiting for it on its perch are certainly not afking  but quite skillful at cc-ing and killing it quickly (the fight gets a lot messier when people that flew up with the helicopter enter it). 

(The real problem with the matriarch event is, that the patriarch event is much better but doesn't line up well with Tangled Depths since it is done too late, if at all. So Anet - please make the patriarch spawn first and the rest of the bosses only after it's been killed 😉).

As to the Pinata - if you want more people participating in the pre-events the rewards for the coins should be better. I don't particularly enjoy navigating Amnoon which tanks my framerate even when not many other players are around, with my mount and I already got everything I want to buy from the coins 🤷‍♂️

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BolkovonHarnfeldt.1372 said:

What is the problem with the matriarch? To my understanding (I might be mistaken), there are no pre-events attached to it, it spawns at exactly the same time during the event cycle, irrespective of whatever outposts are held or not on the map below. The people waiting for it on its perch are certainly not afking  but quite skillful at cc-ing and killing it quickly (the fight gets a lot messier when people that flew up with the helicopter enter it). 

(The real problem with the matriarch event is, that the patriarch event is much better but doesn't line up well with Tangled Depths since it is done too late, if at all. So Anet - please make the patriarch spawn first and the rest of the bosses only after it's been killed 😉).

As to the Pinata - if you want more people participating in the pre-events the rewards for the coins should be better. I don't particularly enjoy navigating Amnoon which tanks my framerate even when not many other players are around, with my mount and I already got everything I want to buy from the coins 🤷‍♂️

Matriarch has been a quite active discussion over the past few years, I believe since PoF came out because mounts made it stupid easy to get up there.

 

The problem with matriarch is the people waiting on the perch for it to spawn. It spawns immediately, even if the camps associated with the helos to get up there aren't held. Again, an example of players not contributing to a pre-event (hold/take back the camp) but simply smacking the boss and getting credit.

 

As the new player discussion has already been mentioned in this thread, any HoT or PoF event is more difficult for the newer players due to a lack of completed skills (advanced gliding, advanced bunny - the latter particularly so for the pinata pre-events - etc). Due to matriarch's scaling, it is easy to quickly kill this boss with relatively few players, who have their elite skills. In the time it takes to get a camp back, matriarch can be killed.

 

When you say that the people who come up in the helo make it messier, those are the people who have assisted in taking/holding a camp. They are not a negative contribution to the matriarch fight.

 

Which brings us back to: can there be a requirement for participation in pre-events be associated with the main reward from a boss kill?

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Hesione.9412 said:

Matriarch has been a quite active discussion over the past few years, I believe since PoF came out because mounts made it stupid easy to get up there.

 

The problem with matriarch is the people waiting on the perch for it to spawn. It spawns immediately, even if the camps associated with the helos to get up there aren't held. Again, an example of players not contributing to a pre-event (hold/take back the camp) but simply smacking the boss and getting credit.

Which in my opinion indicates that the matriarch isn't tied to the events on the ground so these shouldn't be referred to as pre-events. These are only needed if you don't want to get up into the canopy with your mount. Which everyone can do without hassle nowadays. And which could be done before by parking an alt.

5 hours ago, Hesione.9412 said:

 

As the new player discussion has already been mentioned in this thread, any HoT or PoF event is more difficult for the newer players due to a lack of completed skills (advanced gliding, advanced bunny - the latter particularly so for the pinata pre-events - etc). Due to matriarch's scaling, it is easy to quickly kill this boss with relatively few players, who have their elite skills. In the time it takes to get a camp back, matriarch can be killed.

This honestly never happend to me when I was still doing the events on the grounds. When I arrived in the canopy the matriarch was never dead (the hold the camp event timer is set so, that it stops right before the matriarch spawns).

 

5 hours ago, Hesione.9412 said:

When you say that the people who come up in the helo make it messier, those are the people who have assisted in taking/holding a camp. They are not a negative contribution to the matriarch fight.

 

Which brings us back to: can there be a requirement for participation in pre-events be associated with the main reward from a boss kill?

No sorry, I am firmly against that. It's a game. If you like doing pre-events, do them (the game doesn't in any way punish you for doing them). I you don't, don't. Some of them I always do because I think they are fun, some I don't.

I honestly have only once witnessed a world boss fail because no one did the pre, it was the megadestroyer and it was hilarious as we waited for the clock to tick down and then 50 corpses or so littered the ground.

There are systems in place (map-participation in HOT maps and Drizzlewood, chest keys earned through doing events (Drizzlewood, Dragonfall)) to make sure players can doing more are rewarded.

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

I agree that "World Bosses" need to scale up more.  The last several times I have attended Karka Queen it took less than 2 min to kill her.  Depending on where& when the last outpost was captured and where she spawns it can take that long to get there, esp if players don't have mounts.  But, in any case, it's pretty farcical for a creature called a "World Boss" to be so easily and quickly bested. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/5/2021 at 9:45 AM, Jin.8501 said:

That goes against TOS but its impossible to catch them heh. I just read some of their AFK rules and this was one of them. It's not allowed to participate in events while being AFK

It's against the TOS...only if you are "AFK". Since pressing a button to (auto)attack the boss counts as being on the keyboard, the rules are garbage. Their purpose is to cover anets interests and nothing more. Removing (possibly) paying customers would be bad for anet. Simply put: the answer is nope, nothing will happen since it's not against the rules to be lazy and get rewarded for the effort of other players.

Edited by Yggranya.5201
Link to post
Share on other sites

Regarding the original topic, the real problem is the insane DPS output in PvE now. It got worse with Heart of Thorns, but with Path of Fire it went off the charts--a single player does about the DPS of an entire party (at release) even with the same Exotic Berserker's gear.

 

Currently, a player can output 2-3 times their own health in damage, per second. And around half of that can be accomplished with a low skill level, so it happens even with skill spam on relatively average gear and builds.

 

They fixed this in competitive modes with a ~33% damage nerf across the spectrum. You could shave that much off in high-end instanced PvE and still have the damage output of parties feeling very comfortable even in Fractal CMs an raids; open-world would probably need a reduction of up to 50% and it still wouldn't be as low as it was at release.

 

A good start would be to split open-world/dungeon balance away from lv80 instanced-content balance, similar to how PvE was split from WvW/PvP.

Edited by Hannelore.8153
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

You mean "harder" like shatterer or the trouble worm? No thanks.

Useless mechanics for which you need coordinated people to get the achievements I do not want to see in gw2 any more. If you don't do the achievements actively the first weeks, you are forced to adapt to the times of community guilds or need luck ...
Randoms in GW2 care very little about what is happening around them and even less about the people who might need achievements that they are ruinning uu.
No thanks.

 

Just leave them alone. It is a nice distraction when you just want to have a fun with friends or something. Not everything has to be hard and difficult ...

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...