About The New Forum Emoji Reactions - Just As Bad As The Old Thumbs Up Or Thumbs Down Vote [Merged]

Honestly I'd rather see a better method of identifying and punishing this behaviour get implemented instead.
Should be possible to identify data patterns to figure out who is doing this and what accounts belong to the same individuals.

I don't see why the rest of us should have to miss out on fun things like emotes just because a handful of bad actors abuse them.
There's far too much of this punish the majority for the actions of a minority crap going on in the world already.. we should be going in the opposite direction from that and holding individuals accountable for their own actions.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, Teratus.2859 said:

Honestly I'd rather see a better method of identifying and punishing this behaviour get implemented instead.
Should be possible to identify data patterns to figure out who is doing this and what accounts belong to the same individuals.

I don't see why the rest of us should have to miss out on fun things like emotes just because a handful of bad actors abuse them.
There's far too much of this punish the majority for the actions of a minority crap going on in the world already.. we should be going in the opposite direction from that and holding individuals accountable for their own actions.

Good point.

Another method would be to restrict the number of forum accounts to one forum account per IP address.

You could have as many game accounts as you wish, but only access the forums with one chosen main account.

Nexon forums later implemented that method after they started being bombarded with complaints reports over the very same thing.

Edited by SoulGuardian.6203
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

Read the thread.

This isn't about wah wah wah QQ.

This is about not admitting propaganda which alters the true course of actual real feedback.

Precisely this.

A forum that allows several forum accounts from the same IP cannot be a healthy forum, when the same individual has the ability to post many times in order to increse credibility for them selves and alter the course of genuine feedback and debate.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, The Greyhawk.9107 said:

Frankly, I'm the kind of person that there should be both an up and down vote button on comment sections and forums (or at least if you have the former you should have the latter).  Just maybe facing that objectively minor bit negativity might be good for people in general.

You don't think that negative posts that follow in the thread are enough of a hint?

Given that I've already seen people responding to threads with remarks like 'well, only x amount of people liked OP's post, so clearly no one cares', that's evidence enough for me to see that emoji reactions are already causing trouble. They are a distraction, and because they're weird expressions like 'sad' and 'confused' and 'haha', their meanings are not clear and therefore they're getting used sarcastically with the intent to jeer. We can pretend like it's not happening or like we don't care about reactions ourselves, but that's a pretty naive view of what forums devolve into when allowed.

A simple thumbs up/thumbs down or even just thumbs up (lack of this on a post would translate to 'no one liked that') would suffice, but only if ArenaNet themselves are using those reactions as some method of judging player interest in an idea. If ArenaNet is not using them as a measure of anything, then I'd wager we don't need reactions at all.

To the point of people running around on alt accounts, that's already against the forum TOS. ArenaNet has a 'one player, one voice' policy, so if you suspect that's what you're seeing, submit a report.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

One person suggests posters might be using alternate accounts to click emoji buttons, and all of a sudden it's fact?

Rumor sure does easily become fact on these forums.

Again, if you feel sure it is alt accounts, bring it to the attention of the Moderators.  They can easily see all connected accounts. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Touchme.1097 said:

It always amazes me how humans waste their time doing silly things like making alt accounts just to add extra negative reactions on posts and ideas they take so much to heart, it's almost adorable

Not just making them, they have to fork over cold hard cash to be able to emote in the forums.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

That's an interesting take on these emojis. When glancing at them upon inception, I didn't perceive any of them to have negative connotations.

Sadness and confusion are states of mind someone can find themselves in when reading something...They don't mean someone's hating on your post or you for posting it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Anyone else notice how all the accounts that have come in here and posted unusually snarky negative responses are all accounts with ridiculously low post counts? Scroll back through, check it our for yourselves.

These aren't accounts that participate very often in forum discussions at all, but for some reason they are showing up to this thread.

Strange no?

Edited by Trevor Boyer.6524
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

On 5/1/2021 at 9:38 PM, Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

People are logging into their alt accounts to stack negative post response emojis vs. people they are arguing with.

IE: Someone doesn't like your suggestion, so they log into their alt accounts and make sure to spam as many laugh or confused emojis as they can to make sure what you said looks bad. As much is obvious that this is going on when the new notification system shows you that you've somehow received 5 or 6 confused faces in the time span of 2 minutes, when there were no responses at all to your post several hours before or several hours after.

This is as bad as that old "thumbs up or thumbs down system" that eventually was removed for the same reason of people just spamming thumbs down from several alts to make a post look bad. These kinds of systems do nothing but propagate a lot of unnecessary toxicity in the forum.

The emoji responses need to be removed for this reason.

Having a simple system where you click "Like" if you like it or don't click "Like" if you don't like it, is better. The worst they can do is just not click like.

Yeah one of my biggest peeves is when people use the "haha" emoji as a means of mockery or insult instead of the intended "funny" use. Especially if you have an opinion others don't like or think would be great to troll/insult you on. Like my opinion of Anet being a great company - got a lot of hate for that, but I don't care. I know what I know and that's that.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

16 hours ago, Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

Anyone else notice how all the accounts that have come in here and posted unusually snarky negative responses are all accounts with ridiculously low post counts? Scroll back through, check it our for yourselves.

These aren't accounts that participate very often in forum discussions at all, but for some reason they are showing up to this thread.

Strange no?

Indeed.

Is it so hard to believe that people comments such as "Guild Wars 2 is dead" and "I play WOW... and it's so much better" and "Your suggestion to improve GW2 is rubbish" etc etc may come exactly from wow employees to try get people away from gw2?

Is it so hard to believe that narcissistic people exist and what to you and me may seem benign, such as someone else having a different oppinion, to others maybe something they cannot live with?

I'm not a skeptical, but I am not naive nor gullible.

People do worse for less.

I had this one dude in Nexon forums that could not take facts against his oppinion that Nexon should have a server solely dedicated to his country, when they had only continent servers, eg Europe, US, Oceania.

I said to him that I knew all the other 10+ accounts were his and not friends or same country citizens supporting him.

He went ballistic, and called me all names under the sun, because he couldn't handle it.

In the end I end up stop playing the game and using the forums.

I washed my hands of Nexon and never played again.

Even to this day, I still think about if he was just doing that on purpose to make me stop playing the game, or was he really that hurt that my logic made more sense than his wishful thinking.

Edited by SoulGuardian.6203
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, SoulGuardian.6203 said:

Is it so hard to believe that people comments such as "Guild Wars 2 is dead" and "I play WOW... and it's so much better" and "Your suggestion to improve GW2 is rubbish" etc etc may come exactly from wow employees to try get people away from gw2?

Why would they try to poach the few people still playing GW2 that are very unlikely to move to a subscription MMO?  It's way more likely that the new patch has players salty and creating an account to vent.

If anything, you'd try and poach people from FFXIV that has a sub model and a low quality product.

On 5/6/2021 at 3:43 PM, Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

However with just emojis, a person can show up and drop a single response to those 10 people who are agreeing upon a well written suggestion and say something like: "This thread is hilarious. You guys need to stop QQing and l2p" and then proceed to log into the alts and click several likes and thank you trophies on that comment, to make it look like a large portion of the community feels that same way. Then he proceeds to click several cry emojis on the OP post to rub it in.

In your OP you stated that there should only be "likes" available. 

In the scenario you present in bold you state that people can post a comment and use alt accounts to give likes or trophies to their comment.  So I don't see how only allowing likes will solve the issue in bold.  I also find it interesting that you didn't mention that until it was brought up by other posters in this thread later. It seems to me your bigger issue is with people possibly using alt accounts to, as you see it,  manipulate the discussion or give a frown face etc.  As mentioned sock puppet accounts are against forum rules.  So perhaps you should be lobbying for Anet to monitor that more closely as opposed to concerns over emojis. 

That said, I'm going to try to respectfully give some feedback and not directed at any particular forum member.  I think there is a bit of hyperbole involved in this discussion to try to make a point and perhaps a bit of not being able to understand that maybe certain posts are just not very popular based on their content.   With that I'm out of the discussion.  Thanks for the topic.  It certainly is interesting.

I'll give myself a frown face.   🙁

Edited by JustTrogdor.7892
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, HappyHubris.1096 said:

Why would they try to poach the few people still playing GW2 that are very unlikely to move to a subscription MMO?  It's way more likely that the new patch has players salty and creating an account to vent.

If anything, you'd try and poach people from FFXIV that has a sub model and a low quality product.

Great news for ArenaNet if players are 'salty and creating an account to vent' since only paid accounts can post on the forums.  :classic_tongue:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

Strange no?

I counted. Before you made this post there had been replies from 4 people with fewer than 100 posts (all of whom have over 50 posts), one of whom still has the 'new member' badge. 2 of them posted once each and 2 posted twice. In a topic with 70 replies I think that's pretty insignificant. Oh, and one of them was actually agreeing with you.

Incidentally this is why I'm not keen on forums showing post counts. It can end up being used to judge posters and not only is it not a meaningful measure of anything except how much time you have to waste on forums and choose to use on this one but it also then encourages spamming the forum to artifically inflate your post count so that you might be allowed to have an opinion on something meaningful.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 5
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Danikat.8537 said:

I counted. Before you made this post there had been replies from 4 people with fewer than 100 posts (all of whom have over 50 posts), one of whom still has the 'new member' badge. 2 of them posted once each and 2 posted twice. In a topic with 70 replies I think that's pretty insignificant. Oh, and one of them was actually agreeing with you.

Incidentally this is why I'm not keen on forums showing post counts. It can end up being used to judge posters and not only is it not a meaningful measure of anything except how much time you have to waste on forums and choose to use on this one but it also then encourages spamming the forum to artifically inflate your post count so that you might be allowed to have an opinion on something meaningful.

I dont like that you hit the nail on the head.

Let me have my forum wasting without reason to myself please 🤪

• Haha 5
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

I dont like that you hit the nail on the head.

Let me have my forum wasting without reason to myself please 🤪

You see? Post counts: bad idea. I don't want to know exactly how much time I spend here either. 😆

(Oh no, I made it worse.)

Edited by Danikat.8537
  • Like 1
  • Haha 8

20 minutes ago, Danikat.8537 said:

This I think I could agree with.

1 hour ago, HappyHubris.1096 said:

As an attempt to try to get rid of the opposition.

I don't know about FFXIV.

So I can't comment on that.

Besides people are missing the point.

The OP main point, as far as I can understand is people using multiple accounts to increase credibility in their posts and attempt to ridicule the other person.

This has two negative effects.

Spam, and changing the course of legit feedback and debate.

I think we've established that.

However, if using the forums require full accounts.

Yes, it's good for ANet of course. 

But in the long run, one or two people using three accounts each, might make six accounts, but those two people alone can make a dozen people or more quit the game.

To keep a balance, where do you wanna draw the line?