About The New Forum Emoji Reactions - Just As Bad As The Old Thumbs Up Or Thumbs Down Vote [Merged]

On 5/2/2021 at 2:38 AM, Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

People are logging into their alt accounts to stack negative post response emojis vs. people they are arguing with.

IE: Someone doesn't like your suggestion, so they log into their alt accounts and make sure to spam as many laugh or confused emojis as they can to make sure what you said looks bad. As much is obvious that this is going on when the new notification system shows you that you've somehow received 5 or 6 confused faces in the time span of 2 minutes, when there were no responses at all to your post several hours before or several hours after.

This is as bad as that old "thumbs up or thumbs down system" that eventually was removed for the same reason of people just spamming thumbs down from several alts to make a post look bad. These kinds of systems do nothing but propagate a lot of unnecessary toxicity in the forum.

The emoji responses need to be removed for this reason.

Having a simple system where you click "Like" if you like it or don't click "Like" if you don't like it, is better. The worst they can do is just not click like.

This suggestion gets a thumbs down from me. Well, it would if it were available.

Instead it gets a "confused face" emoji from me. Whatever that means.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hmm...how do you know who is using the emoticons?  Does it show somewhere?  I haven't been able to find it.

Also, is there a consensus on what each one means?

Does the confused one mean you found it confusing?  Or does it mean you disapprove? 

Does the laughing one mean you found it funny/amusing or does it mean something more nefarious?

What about the thank-you one?  Thanks, approve, or making fun of?

I'd really like to know what each one denotes, absolutely. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Now we've had the system for a while I have found I mainly use the 'like' reaction, occasionally 'thanks' (if I asked a question and it got answered) and sometimes the laughing one, if someone made a joke and I think it's funny. (But only if I'm sure it was supposed to be a joke, I don't want to offend anyone by misusing it.) I'm not sure when I'd use the other two.

As I said earlier in the thread I think the confused face is especially ambiguous - are you saying the post doesn't make any sense at all? Do you think they got something wrong? (If so what, and what is the correct answer?) Are you disagreeing with their opinion? Without more information "someone, at some point thought this was confusing" is useless information so you need to post a reply as well for it to mean anything, and then you may as well just say what you were confused by in that reply.

Maybe I'd use the sad reaction if someone posted something that's supposed to be sad, like...I don't know..."I accidentally salvaged a precursor" or "I dyed my springer to remind me of my dead pet rabbit" but just clicking a reaction button and not saying anything feels pretty trite and then, again, you may as well express your feelings in the post.

Edited by Danikat.8537
  • Sad 2

On 5/6/2021 at 6:26 AM, The Greyhawk.9107 said:

Imagine actually doing something like that, getting multiple paid accounts with at least part of the purpose for doing so to rustle some jimmies on the forum. 

Frankly, I'm the kind of person that there should be both an up and down vote button on comment sections and forums (or at least if you have the former you should have the latter).  Just maybe facing that objectively minor bit negativity might be good for people in general.

Are we sure people are doing that? I can't find a way to tell who may have clicked an emoji. It seems to be completely anonymous. Are people running around saying they're doing it, or is there just a general feeling they might be?

Another user addressed emoji toxicity, and I can see the point there, but also maybe an emoji might be a way to anonymously register a sad trombone to a post that is toxic without having to identify oneself and become the subject of more toxicity.

I don't really have strong feelings on the subject either way, other than agreeing that someone purchasing a separate account to troll forums is a special kind of self-own.

Edited by Danger Ferret.6342
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Wait, people actually care about those emojis? kitten, I've been going on about this forum thing all wrong...

Honestly, this is probably my age talking and the fact I really dislike this culture we are in where everything needs to be expressed with some type of emoji, just ignore them. I personally don't care about having them there, just as little as I cared about the voting system before. Remove post count while at it, Idm.

If people give more credit to numeric or visual representations of opinions and arguments, and yes they do because it is always easier to swim with the current, instead of what was actually written and the content of the message, I do not care for their approval or disapproval. But that is just me, everyone gets to have their own opinion on this.

EDIT:

Wait, let me make a use of this. Put any type of emoji below this post if you agree, or do not put an emoji there if you also agree. This will be the unilaterally most agreed on post in this forums history!

Edited by Cyninja.2954
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

I mean if people can't even give a proper rebuttal, and just give you an emoji, what makes you think conversing with them wouldn't be a complete waste of time lol?

It's kinda like people that can't respond and just downvote on reddit; it's just more funny than anything else.

To be fair though, I have disabled  notifications on this forum.

35 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

The Confused emoticon really needs to be removed. It is mostly used by trolls (e.g., the latest patch notes). Just stupid.

Well, most patch notes are pretty confusing. But yea I suppose that and sad could be taken the wrong way.

Edited by ArchonWing.9480
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

48 minutes ago, Blude.6812 said:

If you could be completely honest with out getting infracted (not rude, not swearing etc) then it would be fine. I would like another one like a dunce cap and a beating the dead horse emoji would be more than welcome.

I personally don't support a dunce cap, but the beating the dead horse emoji? Yes.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Danger Ferret.6342 said:

Are we sure people are doing that? I can't find a way to tell who may have clicked an emoji. It seems to be completely anonymous. Are people running around saying they're doing it, or is there just a general feeling they might be?

Another user addressed emoji toxicity, and I can see the point there, but also maybe an emoji might be a way to anonymously register a sad trombone to a post that is toxic without having to identify oneself and become the subject of more toxicity.

I don't really have strong feelings on the subject either way, other than agreeing that someone purchasing a separate account to troll forums is a special kind of self-own.

I have no idea if the claim of muli-accounts being used to "emoji bomb" posts is true or not, hence my incredulity.

6 hours ago, Blude.6812 said:

If you could be completely honest with out getting infracted (not rude, not swearing etc) then it would be fine. I would like another one like a dunce cap and a beating the dead horse emoji would be more than welcome.

Make that an Animated dead horse emoji!!

Edited by The Greyhawk.9107
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I have someone stalking and trolling me with the ":classic_blink:" emoji. It's hysterical - the person probably thinks they are somehow getting to me. 😂 How sad for them to waste their time that way. (That actually deserves a "☹️" emoji! 🤭 )

Anyway, I got used to all the available reaction options by now. Two of them truly are completely unnecessary and overused by trolls (see reactions to dev posts, for instance), but if ANet hasn't changed it by now it's probably something in the forum software that cannot be modified.

• Confused 4
  • Sad 1

I dont like any kind of voting system honestly. It detracts from the content of the post, and in some cases has a mob effect. Social media has insinuated itself into every aspect of our daily lives. Enough is enough let comments and posts stand or fall on their own merit.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

I have someone stalking and trolling me with the ":classic_blink:" emoji. It's hysterical - the person probably thinks they are somehow getting to me. 😂 How sad for them to waste their time that way. (That actually deserves a "☹️" emoji! 🤭 )

Anyway, I got used to all the available reaction options by now. Two of them truly are completely unnecessary and overused by trolls (see reactions to dev posts, for instance), but if ANet hasn't changed it by now it's probably something in the forum software that cannot be modified.

Hey me too!! its like the most common one it looks like!!

• Confused 1

On 7/20/2021 at 11:46 PM, Zuldari.3940 said:

I dont like any kind of voting system honestly. It detracts from the content of the post, and in some cases has a mob effect. Social media has insinuated itself into every aspect of our daily lives. Enough is enough let comments and posts stand or fall on their own merit.

I'm very much of this same opinion.

I find the smily/reaction system pointless. And would like an option to just disable it, so I can't see it. Or even so people can't put them on my post so they realise I can't see them anyways.

If you're going to have a reaction system, a simple (+) Agree and (-) Disagree, would work the best. Anything else will just further encourage all the "passive aggressive" trying to make stuff like the confused or sad emotes into negative ones. Pretty much like how "kitten" has become an allowed swear word here, everyone knows/understands what it is supposed to mean, so people just use it like that.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1