Did we really need *more* legendaries?

I spent $200 during the gem card sale to purchase 3 legendary skins. Now ANet announces there are going to be gen 3 legendaries. In other words, my legendary skins will be supplanted by flashier, more up-to-date looking skins. Is everything being added to the game just a grind for legendary-everythings? How can food be "ascended"? Kitten design.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 16

42 minutes ago, The Greyhawk.9107 said:

In which the Endgame is predominately Fashion Wars? Let me thing about that for a second....

spacer.png

Except legendaries are counterintuitive to fashion. They’re harder to obtain, which makes people wear them for prestige and not because they’re the best matching.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

1 minute ago, Mortifera.6138 said:

Except legendaries are counterintuitive to fashion. They’re harder to obtain, which makes people wear them for prestige and not because they’re the best matching.

No it isn't.  The point is to earn the skins, not have them given to you or buy them like a whale.  its supposed to be challenging.  People get which Legendaries they like, no one is forced to choose a specific one, and with the myriad of options available at this point its perfectly feasible to make a set that "matches"...which is going to be different depending on a persons tastes.  And this is all on top of the fact that the term "Fashion Wars" is a meme and not meant to be as literal as you seem to be taking it.

If you don't want to get any of the Gen 3's no one is forcing you, but its extremely arrogant of you to want to deny the rest of us the options to go after anyone of these new skins should any of them be appealing.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Mortifera.6138 said:

I spent $200 during the gem card sale to purchase 3 legendary skins. Now ANet announces there are going to be gen 3 legendaries. In other words, my legendary skins will be supplanted by flashier, more up-to-date looking skins. Is everything being added to the game just a grind for legendary-everythings? How can food be "ascended"? Kitten design.

Legendaries are just one of the types of reward that are used to increase player retention.

What this has to do with ascended food i don't know though.

• Like 1

Did you really think they would launch an expansion without throwing in new legendaries?

I remind you that going after legendaries and their flashy skins is one of the actual endgame goals for many people and I myself am hyped aswell and was really hoping they would throw in new ones to the bunch.

Cant really say you made a bad investment but for me, farming the stuff for a legendary makes the last reward so much juicier rather than just clicking 3 times and buying it off the trading post.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

I'm happy they're adding new legendaries because I like the idea of having a legendary weapon for each character but I've got several characters where none of the existing weapons suit them, so if they add more there's a chance I'll be able to find some to make. I don't care what anyone else thinks of them because I dress my characters up for my own entertainment, as long as I think they look good it doesn't matter if anyone else is impressed.

Also newer legendaries aren't guarenteed to be flashier. The Claw of the Khan-Ur is a gen 2.5 legendary and it's a lot more understated than the Incinerator.

• Thanks 1

What is prestigious about legendary skins when you can just... Swipe that credit card and obtain them? Absolutely nothing. Zero.

Legendary skins are not special, theyre simply overpriced skins. Its only the QoL they provide, for those who need that qol. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Mortifera.6138 said:

That's why it's important to have more legendaries, not less.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Voltekka.2375 said:

What is prestigious about legendary skins when you can just... Swipe that credit card and obtain them? Absolutely nothing. Zero.

Legendary skins are not special, theyre simply overpriced skins. Its only the QoL they provide, for those who need that qol. 

Gen 2 legendaries can't be bought, nor can their precursors, they can only be crafted. Many of their components of course can be bought, but a sizeable chunk cannot and as such require actual effort and time in game.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, The Greyhawk.9107 said:

Gen 2 legendaries can't be bought, nor can their precursors, they can only be crafted. Many of their components of course can be bought, but a sizeable chunk cannot and as such require actual effort and time in game.

Also some of the collections are really fun imo. I hope they will do something like this again in the next generation.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, The Greyhawk.9107 said:

Gen1 can be bought from tp 

Gen2 are 4 (four), it is a REALLY small number.

Gen2.5 can pretty much be bought  (15k mithril plus 35k elder wood, so exciting), the only thing you actually need to do is HoT map comp (4 maps) or the equivalent desert gift. Yay. Such a legendary feat. Wow.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 3

With all the nerfs this company enjoys which means changes of builds which to a WvWer is a thing, cos you know 'meta' someone sure sounds salty. 

QoL is everything. 

fashion is everything.

Shame with the amount of gold brought you could of made 4 weapons with a little bit of work.

Edited by Dami.5046

Yes, I would like to keep getting new legendaries. For me, it's more a matter of working in game for a beautiful object with a sense of it being "unique". It's a hard work, but at the end, I have something I don't see on all players around me. Now the point is that I don't want all of them. I want only those I love. As of today, I have all those I find beautiful. So I would enjoy seeing new adds giving me a reason to start hard work again. 

Side note: I'm very disappointed that some legendary weapons are now available on TP. For me, they were the "ultimate" we can do in this game, requiring to "touch" everything of the game content and to invest time and efforts to obtain one. It was a huge satisfaction to obtain one.

Now, it just needs to farm enough gold (what can go fast the way the game is nowadays), and everybody can have a legendary weapon. To my eyes, there is nothing "legendary" anymore into that. Very personal opinion of course. ☺️

I had two legendary skins since year two (crafted eternity and gave it away, so I had sunrise and twilight unlocked in the wardrobe).
Just a week or two ago I unlocked bolt. I have no desire in crafting any of the second tier legendaries. I would only do such a time consuming effort for my main character and do not compromise on the weapon types. I like bolt on my holosmith, but I dislike any of the other legendary weapons for the engineer. For the gen 2 I like the bows and the binding of ipsos.But I would not use them often so not going after them.

Long story short. I would love to see more legedary options and more weapon type options with new elite specs. Just to have more options

It would be nice to be able to get a full set of legendary armor and all trinkets in the game type of your choice in the long run.

So, if you just play open world PvE, story, living world and achievements, you can get a full set of legendary equipment that way.

If you just play raids, you can get a full set of legendary equipment that way.

If you just play fractals, dungeons, strikes and DRMs you can get a full set of legendary equipment that way.

If you just play WvW, you can get a full set of legendary equipment that way.

If you just play sPvP, you can get a full set of legendary equipment that way.

• Like 1

I have to agree though, there isn't much prestige to having purples. I still think my Fow Armour from the  last game meant more.

It's insulting that you take the time and effort to make these things, which for me is 3-4 weeks of farming for each, and someone can get the same in a matter of seconds.  Getting them isn't a race.

This game seems to encourage the lazy, the skyscale was a prime example of that. 

I am happy that I will just add things to my 'to do' list, however i hope this time round they mean something other than, ' you just brought that off the broker' kind of comment.

6 hours ago, Mortifera.6138 said:

If you "purchased legendary skins", then you've bought gen 1, which was already "supplanted by flashier, more up-to-date looking" gen 2 skins. So... I'm not sure about the validity of this complaint in the first place (even if we forget that it's based on "if you release new content, the old loses value, so don't release new content").

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 6
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Mortifera.6138 said:

Do you have a need to be flashy like that? I mean, if you didn't buy these legendary weapons for "prestige" I hope you've found the meanest mix-and-match setup. And if you did, that's valuable in its own right.

Edited by MrForz.1953