Did we really need *more* legendaries?

11 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

If you "purchased legendary skins", then you've bought gen 1, which was already "supplanted by flashier, more up-to-date looking" gen 2 skins. So... I'm not sure about the validity of this complaint in the first place (even if we forget that it's based on "if you release new content, the old loses value, so don't release new content").

This.

There will always be new skins until they shut down the game.  Even if they decided to stop development of game, as long as it is running skins will be one of the things that would continue to get updates unless an engine limitation prevents new additions.

So...because you have what you want, no one else should have the possibility of getting a Legendary they want?!?

Sorry, but I look forward to seeing what they have available. I've been disappointed in a few of them: the confetti-shooting pistol, a rifle that looks like a galleon, the quaggan bathtub, and the 1970s disco-mace just to name a few. 

I'm hoping for a good scepter and pistol to fit my characters.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Mortifera.6138 said:

I spent $200 during the gem card sale to purchase 3 legendary skins. Now ANet announces there are going to be gen 3 legendaries. In other words, my legendary skins will be supplanted by flashier, more up-to-date looking skins. Is everything being added to the game just a grind for legendary-everythings? How can food be "ascended"? Kitten design.

This game needs more long term goals that cannot be whaled on the TP, not less.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Voltekka.2375 said:

What is prestigious about legendary skins when you can just... Swipe that credit card and obtain them? Absolutely nothing. Zero.

Legendary skins are not special, theyre simply overpriced skins. Its only the QoL they provide, for those who need that qol. 

So can you buy gen 2 legendaries now? I haven't played for a long time, so don't mind me asking.

27 minutes ago, Aza.2105 said:

So can you buy gen 2 legendaries now? I haven't played for a long time, so don't mind me asking.

Gen2 (Chuka, Nevermore, HOPE, Astralaria) have lots of events that you need to complete. Gen2.5 however don't. You can just spend cash to buy a huge amount of mithril and elder wood. Desert gift or HoT gift is the only thing you cant buy, but it is so darn easy to get. 

I get that some people hate being told that leggies are not really THAT prestigious, in this age.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Gen 2.5 *may* seem easy. But to Ms or mr Casual, even with farming the wood and metal, you still have a stack of MC's to get, not including the bonus 77 clovers, and various mats, as well as time gated mats to finish off the pre. At the moment they hitting the door of 3k gold to make thanks to the armoury. 

It's pretty harsh to knock down people who have worked for those.

We all have our reasons to play.

BTW you can't buy GOB.

Edited by Dami.5046

9 hours ago, Mortifera.6138 said:

I spent $200 during the gem card sale to purchase 3 legendary skins. Now ANet announces there are going to be gen 3 legendaries. In other words, my legendary skins will be supplanted by flashier, more up-to-date looking skins. Is everything being added to the game just a grind for legendary-everythings? How can food be "ascended"? Kitten design.

Considering that gen 2 legendaries didn't supplant gen 1 ones, i don't think you have anything to worry about. Yes, there will be more choice, but more choice is good.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dreamy Lu.3865 said:

Side note: I'm very disappointed that some legendary weapons are now available on TP. For me, they were the "ultimate" we can do in this game, requiring to "touch" everything of the game content and to invest time and efforts to obtain one. It was a huge satisfaction to obtain one.

Now, it just needs to farm enough gold (what can go fast the way the game is nowadays), and everybody can have a legendary weapon. To my eyes, there is nothing "legendary" anymore into that. Very personal opinion of course. ☺️

I understand how you feel and I think you're probably right that it would be better if they weren't tradable, but it's not new, gen 1 legendaries have always been tradable.

I didn't check all of them but GW2 Spidy (which tracks TP prices) has data going back to at least December 2012, meaning some of them were being sold 5 months after the game came out, and some of the ones I didn't check might have been on there even earlier. I think it only took that long for someone to sell them because it took a while for players to figure out how they were made and to finish the process.

6 minutes ago, Danikat.8537 said:

I think it only took that long for someone to sell them because it took a while for players to figure out how they were made and to finish the process.

Many players already crafted and got them during the core alpha and betas. Way before the release.

This thread is a joke right? Late April Fool's?

When is the last time someone complained about having more options?

P.S. If the legendary you bought was off the TP there are plenty of other copies that other people also bought.

2 hours ago, Voltekka.2375 said:

Gen2 (Chuka, Nevermore, HOPE, Astralaria) have lots of events that you need to complete. Gen2.5 however don't. You can just spend cash to buy a huge amount of mithril and elder wood. Desert gift or HoT gift is the only thing you cant buy, but it is so darn easy to get. 

I get that some people hate being told that leggies are not really THAT prestigious, in this age.

👍
Thanks for reminding me to finish HOPE even though I don't have much use for a pistol. Have Astralaria, Nevermore, Chuka completed.

21 minutes ago, Extacy.6192 said:

Many players already crafted and got them during the core alpha and betas. Way before the release.

No one could craft legendaries during the beta tests because (among other things) most of the dungeons were unavailable (Ascalon story mode was available for some, but not all, betas) so there was no way to get dungeon tokens, and if I remember correctly some of the maps were locked too so there was no way to get the Gift of Exploration even if there was enough time. Also everyone's accounts were entirely wiped between most of the beta weekends so any progress you made didn't carry over.

I don't know what happened during the alpha tests because I wasn't involved, but I do know anything that had been done was wiped when the first beta test started and anything done during the betas was wiped before the game started, so any progress anyone made towards a legendary was lost.

I suppose it's possible some people figured out how to make them and then just kept quiet (or played along) during the early days when people on the forum and reddit were figuring out the recipies and documenting them on the Wiki, I have no way of knowing what other people knew and kept secret.

But I'm not saying December was the earliest anyone made a legendary (if I remember correctly that was mid-late September 2012), just that it's the earliest I could find records of one having been sold on the Trading Post.

The famous prestige of legendary weapons, the king of spam 1 bus farmers?

legendary armor has a bit of it with raids but weapons it only shows your ability to chain boring content to make money, nothing else
I hope the next gen will make raids /cm fractals mandatory and  maybe a new type of difficult content in cantha to have a minimum of prestige .

when i see people barely able to dodge or make a proper rotation having lots of legendaries, it really makes me laugh, i admit .

Edited by radda.8920
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Danikat.8537 said:

No one could craft legendaries during the beta tests because (among other things) most of the dungeons were unavailable (Ascalon story mode was available for some, but not all, betas) so there was no way to get dungeon token...

I am not talking about the open beta weekends. In core beta they were already craftable.

11 hours ago, Mortifera.6138 said:

Did they ever say they would never do a gen 3? Unless you are mad for your own reasons adding gen 3 weapons and gen 2 armors is a net positive for the game. Se3 and 4 had a good amount of hype just from mew legendaries.

11 hours ago, Mortifera.6138 said:

Hopefully you bought legendaries that you like. Hopefully those who pursue gen 3 legendaries go for the one's they like. How is variety a bad thing?

• Like 1