Is it just me, or mesmer is completely overpowered? Answers from non-mesmer players please.

miifi.2150

22 hours ago, Multicolorhipster.9751 said:

"Answers from non-mesmer players please" 

Thread almost exclusively filled with replies from mesmer players.

A rather silly request anyhow. Can't expect the best advice from those who don't even play the class. That goes for any class.

OP basically assumes mains can't be unbiased, which isn't true. Some are, some aren't. Some, like Jazz, are as objectively analytical as it gets and just tell it like it is.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

41 minutes ago, Twilight Tempest.7584 said:

A rather silly request anyhow. Can't expect the best advice from those who don't even play the class. That goes for any class.

OP basically assumes mains can't be unbiased, which isn't true. Some are, some aren't. Some, like Jazz, are as objectively analytical as it gets and just tell it like it is.

❤️

btw i was planning to make a more meme orientated but still educational guide for how to play vs pb/ mantra mesmers and already did a lot of research for the meme part by skipping through a lot of twitch content incl tourny vods etc to find intended and unintended counterplays to pb/ mantra in high lvl plays (and found a lot), also frealina doing a rly good job commentating on some plays. i also found funny stuff like ppl dying 2 secs after healrupt and crying about pb while the trait lit had zero value/ impact in that moment, or members of the so called "educated majority" blaming pb for an interupted channel heal going full cd, missing that it was the thief interrupting and that channelskills always go full cd after interupt also without pb (also no weakness application happend).

so you can see the main issue is missing knowledge even from high lvl players about how to read mes and how to counterplay pb mes. anyway im not sure if i find the time to ever finish that meme guide, also bc my editing skill is not rly good enough for all the meme editing needed to make that thing good. also i usually dont rly get much views on guides worth all the extra effort, means the interest in guides seems low sadly (prob bc crying in forums and discord and get stuff nerfed is easier than learning the counterplay). also with the upcoming changes mantras/pb might be deleted out of viability so no clue if a guide will be needed anymore then.

however who dont want to get farmed by healrupt mesmers anymore and want to know all the possible counterplay, can check my last pvp vid (the ranger/ mes one) on my youtube channel for soem hints and ingame examples and the arenalabs interview part 2 (see timestamps in the comment under the vid) for that already (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BD0SBZK-62w)

but i found some other piece of gold on helseth stream talking with his chat about pb. its maybe more entertaining to listen to that than reading/hearing my essay analyses. ofc its helseth how we know and love him so dont feel personally attacked by him, but he clearly has some good points about pb, so i just leave that here: 

Edited by JazzXman.7018
  • Like 5

I don’t think mes is overpowered. Good players know how to counter it. 

I think the real reason we keep seeing this specific question is because while mes is a cool idea, it’s built around the targeting system. The de-targeting, searching a sea of clones for the real player, trying to tab to them and failing, then letting go of camera control to click a moving player is overwhelming to someone new. I’ve been playing since launch and I still don’t enjoy fighting mes for this reason.

• Like 8

14 hours ago, JazzXman.7018 said:

btw i was planning to make a more meme orientated but still educational guide for how to play vs pb/ mantra mesmers and already did a lot of research for the meme part by skipping through a lot of twitch content incl tourny vods etc to find intended and unintended counterplays to pb/ mantra in high lvl plays (and found a lot), also frealina doing a rly good job commentating on some plays. i also found funny stuff like ppl dying 2 secs after healrupt and crying about pb while the trait lit had zero value/ impact in that moment, or members of the so called "educated majority" blaming pb for an interupted channel heal going full cd, missing that it was the thief interrupting and that channelskills always go full cd after interupt also without pb (also no weakness application happend).

so you can see the main issue is missing knowledge even from high lvl players about how to read mes and how to counterplay pb mes. anyway im not sure if i find the time to ever finish that meme guide, also bc my editing skill is not rly good enough for all the meme editing needed to make that thing good. also i usually dont rly get much views on guides worth all the extra effort, means the interest in guides seems low sadly (prob bc crying in forums and discord and get stuff nerfed is easier than learning the counterplay). also with the upcoming changes mantras/pb might be deleted out of viability so no clue if a guide will be needed anymore then.

however who dont want to get farmed by healrupt mesmers anymore and want to know all the possible counterplay, can check my last pvp vid (the ranger/ mes one) on my youtube channel for soem hints and ingame examples and the arenalabs interview part 2 (see timestamps in the comment under the vid) for that already (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BD0SBZK-62w)

but i found some other piece of gold on helseth stream talking with his chat about pb. its maybe more entertaining to listen to that than reading/hearing my essay analyses. ofc its helseth how we know and love him so dont feel personally attacked by him, but he clearly has some good points about pb, so i just leave that here: 

Honestly as someone that has 90% games on mesmer I still ocasionally get kitten on by mesmer, why?
cuz im playing on auto-pilot and using healing skill in the open and when I die, I dont go to forum and complain, and instead hit myself on the head and realize, why the kitten did I try to heal next to mantra mes when I could stealth with smokescale first for example. But haters gonna hate yo

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Leonidrex.5649 said:

Honestly as someone that has 90% games on mesmer I still ocasionally get kitten on by mesmer, why?
cuz im playing on auto-pilot and using healing skill in the open and when I die, I dont go to forum and complain, and instead hit myself on the head and realize, why the kitten did I try to heal next to mantra mes when I could stealth with smokescale first for example. But haters gonna hate yo

yep true dat

Try the class, learn how it works and you will have an easier time dealing with it.

If you're a thief player try sticking to fighting 2v1 against others and speeding across the map to get to these 2v1 fights. Hit your steal and you get most boons in the game which helps, you even get it off a downed mesmer so it can be helpful if another class comes to help the mesmer.

• Like 1

On 5/2/2021 at 3:07 PM, LuRkEr.9462 said:

In PVP mesmer is bottom tier, especially if its mesmer and not mirage or chrono.  Mesmer is one of those classes where you are only going to beat the other class if you are better than them. On equal footing a mesmer will pretty much always lose. 

Mesmer is all about capitalizing on the mistakes / daze windows of the opponent.

This is from plat 1 point of view. I know mesmer does better in lower ranks because people get confused on the real target 😆

LOL shorts is top 2 playing condi mirage and himself says it needs nerf in stream.

not saying its meta in tournament, but definitely a rankedQ destroyer

Edited by felix.2386
  • Thanks 1

On 5/2/2021 at 2:07 PM, LuRkEr.9462 said:

In PVP mesmer is bottom tier, especially if its mesmer and not mirage or chrono.  Mesmer is one of those classes where you are only going to beat the other class if you are better than them. On equal footing a mesmer will pretty much always lose. 

Mesmer is all about capitalizing on the mistakes / daze windows of the opponent.

This is from plat 1 point of view. I know mesmer does better in lower ranks because people get confused on the real target 😆

So isn't this completely false, aren't there quite a few mesmers in the top...10?

The answer is yes, no matter what balance patch is coming for us, Mesmer is ArenaNet's PvE favourite child. 

It's designed to be OP, we can all roll a mesmer, it's a more secure investment than a house insurance.

What about PvP? One shot 

GW2 EPIC (muha) GUIDE Mesmer Burst/ Oneshot + Chronomancer F5 - YouTube

Why wasting time rising another profession to 80 for DPS? Roll a mesmer

Why wasting time rising another character to 80 to provide alacrity or quickness? Roll a mesmer, you can provide both...And might too.

Why wasting time rising something to 80 to be hit by the nerf bat and be quarantined to the bottom tier corner of the wall? Roll a mesmer

Edited by Touchme.1097
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Touchme.1097 said:

The answer is yes, no matter what balance patch is coming for us, Mesmer is ArenaNet's PvE favourite child. 

It's designed to be OP, we can all roll a mesmer, it's a more secure investment than a house insurance.

What about PvP? One shot 

GW2 EPIC (muha) GUIDE Mesmer Burst/ Oneshot + Chronomancer F5 - YouTube

Why wasting time rising another profession to 80 for DPS? Roll a mesmer

Why wasting time rising another character to 80 to provide alacrity or quickness? Roll a mesmer, you can provide both...And might too.

Why wasting time rising something to 80 to be hit by the nerf bat and be quarantined to the bottom tier corner of the wall? Roll a mesmer

You're posting a video from 2019
 Back then, chronomancer had normal shatters, distortion, lost time (like lightning rod, but with slow instead of weakness), every gs skill dealt cripple (so 5% more damage from adept trait in chronomancer and 5% more damage from sigil of opportunity), gs4 dealt some good 17% more damage + 6stacks of vuln (it's 9% more damage on subsequent attacks with domination) + 1k from returning greatsword and gs trait reduced cooldowns, which now it doesn't.
This on top of the 33% damage reduction on everything after 25feb patch.

This video shows the mechanics of something that can't be done anymore. It's not possible. Damage multipliers are gone, the damage is reduced, the shatters work in a totally different way. And you know that because the video date is there, yet you posted this anyway. I am formally accusing you of being a cringelord.

Edited by Terrorhuz.4695
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Terrorhuz.4695 said:

You're posting a video from 2019
 Back then, chronomancer had normal shatters, distortion, lost time (like lightning rod, but with slow instead of weakness), every gs skill dealt cripple (so 5% more damage from adept trait in chronomancer and 5% more damage from sigil of opportunity), gs4 dealt some good 17% more damage + 6stacks of vuln (it's 9% more damage on subsequent attacks with domination) + 1k from returning greatsword and gs trait reduced cooldowns, which now it doesn't.
This on top of the 33% damage reduction on everything after 25feb patch.

This video shows the mechanics of something that can't be done anymore. It's not possible. Damage multipliers are gone, the damage is reduced, the shatters work in a totally different way. And you know that because the video date is there, yet you posted this anyway. I am formally accusing you of being a cringelord.

It's an old pre-patch video, wait for the Mirage version of it

2 minutes ago, Touchme.1097 said:

It's an old pre-patch video, wait for the Mirage version of it

1) The mirage version is already there on that same channel, jazz regularly posts footage of power mirage with some occasional chrono here and there
2) What you gonna do, post a version with 2 dodges? Just to be sure we talk about stuff that has been deleted from the game ages ago?

On 5/11/2021 at 11:06 AM, felix.2386 said:

LOL shorts is top 2 playing condi mirage and himself says it needs nerf in stream.

not saying its meta in tournament, but definitely a rankedQ destroyer

I don’t think you actually follow at all what Shorts is saying. Shorts is top 2 because he is mechanically and game sense MUCH better than almost everyone else left playing this game. Not because Mirage is busted. 

He calls for nerfs in the inspiration and chaos trait line (which he does not play) so that way other parts of Mesmer can be buffed without those two trait lines becoming too dominant. 

He calls for nerfs to mechanics that are unhealthy for the game even if they aren’t performing strongly so that way things can be balanced in a way that is healthy for the state of the game.

So you are being extremely disingenuous for

implying that Mirage is any way busted or a pub stomper. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ronald McDonald.8165 said:

I don’t think you actually follow at all what Shorts is saying. Shorts is top 2 because he is mechanically and game sense MUCH better than almost everyone else left playing this game. Not because Mirage is busted. 

He calls for nerfs in the inspiration and chaos trait line (which he does not play) so that way other parts of Mesmer can be buffed without those two trait lines becoming too dominant. 

He calls for nerfs to mechanics that are unhealthy for the game even if they aren’t performing strongly so that way things can be balanced in a way that is healthy for the state of the game.

So you are being extremely disingenuous for

implying that Mirage is any way busted or a pub stomper. 

IDK if shorts really said that because I don't follow him. If he did, he's wrong.

We already have 0 resustain, am I supposed to lose the one thing I have too? Because I have the absurdely high defense of, lemme check... blurred frenzy and distortion (if you're running chronomancer you have no distortion either, but let's pretend).

If that's the case let's make it clear once and for all, you aren't allowed to play mesmer when a thief is around. A thief must be allowed to backstab you for 15 minutes until you die and there's nothing you can do about it, no heal no cleansing that blind, nothing. There's a thief, you must die, it's the law. Condi thief opens up on you? 8 stacks of poison, 12 stacks of bleeding, weakness torment and what not from stealth, that's balanced but God forbids you even think of taking an entire defensive traitline to cleanse and be allowed to at least disengage, oh no you can't. Necromancer places a mark below you? Tough luck buddy, you should have thought about it before playing the overpowered mesmer, now you stay permachilled and permafeared like you deserve. A ranger hits you with winter's bite? A normal class cleanses, if you play mesmer you need to bleed for all the 12s from a skill with 10s cooldown. That's how it works on this earth buddy.

Listen, I'm honestly fed up with this kitten. Our most damaging weapon should be gs; Phantasmal Berserker is our best skill and deals 5k damage on 20s cooldown with berserker amulet (if all stars align; if RNG decides to place the phantasms in some funny ways you get some 3k; I repeat in case it's not clear, 20 SECONDS COOLDOWN ON BERSERKER AMULET WITH TRAIT FOR ONE EXPLOSIVE ENTRANCE WORTH OF DAMAGE).
So, to sum it up, I'm not allowed to deal power damage, condi damage was removed because no bleed from illusions and torment changed, all we have left is confusion and 2 stacks of burning on torch. In other words, I drop a thousand skills to inflict 10 stacks of confusion and 10 stacks of torment on you, and then all you have to do is just kittening ignore me and jog away while I scream helplessly behind you.

But now of course we get a new storm of crybabies on the forum because some PvE developer thought it was a good idea to buff staff autoattack -which was already problematic in the past and we want to make sure to alienate the whole playerbase, both mesmers and non-mesmer- and the only thing left is running full sustain with staff and hope enemy kills themselves with confusion while 3 clones autoattack all day long, on a node you can't cap anyway because you distort the whole time, as if it was fun for anyone being or meeting a scourge cosplay on mesmer.

So, tldr: I had enough of people bringing up streamers' opinion like it mattered. Nobody cares about their opinion and even if someone did, that's a wrong claim. Every class running 3 defensive traitlines would be tanky. Nerf chaos\inspiration until we go from almost no sustain to literally 0 sustain, sounds like a great idea; we're already squishy enough, but the one player who tries to take the smallest sliver of risk is going to be permafarmed by literally everyone else, solid reasoning. Which will in turn dig up even more crybabies on the forum because at this point you won't be able to tell the mesmer from the clones anymore, but who gives a kitten, right now I surely don't.

Edited by Terrorhuz.4695
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 5/7/2021 at 9:23 PM, Boggs.6482 said:

I don’t think mes is overpowered. Good players know how to counter it. 

I think the real reason we keep seeing this specific question is because while mes is a cool idea, it’s built around the targeting system. The de-targeting, searching a sea of clones for the real player, trying to tab to them and failing, then letting go of camera control to click a moving player is overwhelming to someone new. I’ve been playing since launch and I still don’t enjoy fighting mes for this reason.

This is the objective and reasonable answer, and how it as always been. With the exception of S1 Chrono bunk, and Glamor in WvW years ago.

But if we're being honest this is a fairly garbage standard. People are not deceived, even the most deceptive mesmer who matches their attacks with their clones and properly positions etc, is still outed by health, movement, by boons, by signets, if you're in the giant FFA area the "cannot mount, cannot glide" bars, and AoEs screw up the entire set up. Not to mention all of the control after summoning is in the opponents hands, and these are the resources to do damage. All the methods of pulling mobs in PvE to cleave them down work on illusions, and AGAIN this is BOTH your damage AND survivability mechanic.

And honestly there is a tabbing priority based upon where your screen in facing, and any decent player can tab to what they are sure is the original reliably at worst. Much like a thief's stealth and evade this is relied upon to survive; and this entire system is vastly inferior. Stealth can be subject to AoE but it's something you can avoid with movement, illusions and a deception setup where you shuffle all your clones doesn't do this, in fact target breaks only happen for a few limited skills and that limitation is FAR less than thief's access to stealth, and if we're going to talk evasion Thief already won out over mirage and now mirage has one less evade.

Condi mirage works for now because of how hard A-net tried to make it fit into the meta, Literally cut a puzzle piece to make it fit, and at the end of the day Condi mirage only works because of the nature of condi. Power Mirage with a similar setup doesn't come anywhere close to the level of survivability which is telling, while also doing less pressure, and even then I'd argue condi mirage is still worse for 1v1s than most of the meta. So you're doing a thief's job, but worse.

Given the nature of illusions and how reliant the class is on them, and that isn't even the end of the negatives that plague the class with positives that are across the board inferior to others: I'd argue Mesmer on a whole is underpowered.

Edited by Daishi.6027
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

IDK if shorts really said that because I don't follow him. If he did, he's wrong.

We already have 0 resustain, am I supposed to lose the one thing I have too? Because I have the absurdely high defense of, lemme check... blurred frenzy and distortion (if you're running chronomancer you have no distortion either, but let's pretend).

If that's the case let's make it clear once and for all, you aren't allowed to play mesmer when a thief is around. A thief must be allowed to backstab you for 15 minutes until you die and there's nothing you can do about it, no heal no cleansing that blind, nothing. There's a thief, you must die, it's the law. Condi thief opens up on you? 8 stacks of poison, 12 stacks of bleeding, weakness torment and what not from stealth, that's balanced but God forbids you even think of taking an entire defensive traitline to cleanse and be allowed to at least disengage, oh no you can't. Necromancer places a mark below you? Tough luck buddy, you should have thought about it before playing the overpowered mesmer, now you stay permachilled and permafeared like you deserve. A ranger hits you with winter's bite? A normal class cleanses, if you play mesmer you need to bleed for all the 12s from a skill with 10s cooldown. That's how it works on this earth buddy.

Listen, I'm honestly fed up with this kitten. Our most damaging weapon should be gs; Phantasmal Berserker is our best skill and deals 5k damage on 20s cooldown with berserker amulet (if all stars align; if RNG decides to place the phantasms in some funny ways you get some 3k; I repeat in case it's not clear, 20 SECONDS COOLDOWN ON BERSERKER AMULET WITH TRAIT FOR ONE EXPLOSIVE ENTRANCE WORTH OF DAMAGE).
So, to sum it up, I'm not allowed to deal power damage, condi damage was removed because no bleed from illusions and torment changed, all we have left is confusion and 2 stacks of burning on torch. In other words, I drop a thousand skills to inflict 10 stacks of confusion and 10 stacks of torment on you, and then all you have to do is just kittening ignore me and jog away while I scream helplessly behind you.

But now of course we get a new storm of crybabies on the forum because some PvE developer thought it was a good idea to buff staff autoattack -which was already problematic in the past and we want to make sure to alienate the whole playerbase, both mesmers and non-mesmer- and the only thing left is running full sustain with staff and hope enemy kills themselves with confusion while 3 clones autoattack all day long, on a node you can't cap anyway because you distort the whole time, as if it was fun for anyone being or meeting a scourge cosplay on mesmer.

So, tldr: I had enough of people bringing up streamers' opinion like it mattered. Nobody cares about their opinion and even if someone did, that's a wrong claim. Every class running 3 defensive traitlines would be tanky. Nerf chaos\inspiration until we go from almost no sustain to literally 0 sustain, sounds like a great idea; we're already squishy enough, but the one player who tries to take the smallest sliver of risk is going to be permafarmed by literally everyone else, solid reasoning. Which will in turn dig up even more crybabies on the forum because at this point you won't be able to tell the mesmer from the clones anymore, but who gives a kitten, right now I surely don't.

You took part of what I said and ignored the rest:  

"He calls for nerfs in the inspiration and chaos trait line (which he does not play) so that way other parts of Mesmer can be buffed without those two trait lines becoming too dominant. "

Mirage is very tough to balance which has been seen in the past, it is very easy for it to be overtuned. For example, if you give Mirage it's second dodge back and Inspiration has not been nerfed, then you end up with a pretty much unkillable build. You have insane defense with four distortions, technically five because your signet resets your f4, you have two mirage cloaks and now created a toxic build where you can be bailed out from your mistakes. The game needs less toxic builds, not more.

As a Mesmer main it is very frustrating going up against certain builds that seem loaded to the gills. But the proper solution isn't "Hey give me unfair stuff because they have unfair stuff". The proper solution is getting rid of the unfair stuff or minimizing it's impact on the game. Trust me, I ask myself all the time when playing Mesmer "why do they get to do so much?". 

I agree with Shorts philosophy when it comes to balance. Where skill should be the deciding factor in a fight and not what build you chose. Obviously you can't have perfect balance, but an exchange should be decided by who made the correct decisions and not because you have a passive that does much more than it should. The more toxic traits should be nerfed and made less viable in a PvP environment. You should be punished for mistakes you make, not be bailed out from your build. That is what builds a healthy competitive environment. 

Again he is not saying nerf Illusions and Chaos and call it a day. He is saying those should be nerfed so other areas of Mesmer can be buffed so it can do it's job better. 

I do believe Short's opinion on the state of balance is more viable than most people. He does have a better understanding of the game and how it works, especially when it comes to Mesmer. He seems more unbiased than most players as well because he is willing to call out the more toxic components of Mesmer so the state of the game as a whole can be balanced in a way that is a better experience for everyone.  

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Ronald McDonald.8165 said:

You took part of what I said and ignored the rest:  

"He calls for nerfs in the inspiration and chaos trait line (which he does not play) so that way other parts of Mesmer can be buffed without those two trait lines becoming too dominant. "

Mirage is very tough to balance which has been seen in the past, it is very easy for it to be overtuned. For example, if you give Mirage it's second dodge back and Inspiration has not been nerfed, then you end up with a pretty much unkillable build. You have insane defense with four distortions, technically five because your signet resets your f4, you have two mirage cloaks and now created a toxic build where you can be bailed out from your mistakes. The game needs less toxic builds, not more.

As a Mesmer main it is very frustrating going up against certain builds that seem loaded to the gills. But the proper solution isn't "Hey give me unfair stuff because they have unfair stuff". The proper solution is getting rid of the unfair stuff or minimizing it's impact on the game. Trust me, I ask myself all the time when playing Mesmer "why do they get to do so much?". 

I agree with Shorts philosophy when it comes to balance. Where skill should be the deciding factor in a fight and not what build you chose. Obviously you can't have perfect balance, but an exchange should be decided by who made the correct decisions and not because you have a passive that does much more than it should. The more toxic traits should be nerfed and made less viable in a PvP environment. You should be punished for mistakes you make, not be bailed out from your build. That is what builds a healthy competitive environment. 

Again he is not saying nerf Illusions and Chaos and call it a day. He is saying those should be nerfed so other areas of Mesmer can be buffed so it can do it's job better. 

I do believe Short's opinion on the state of balance is more viable than most people. He does have a better understanding of the game and how it works, especially when it comes to Mesmer. He seems more unbiased than most players as well because he is willing to call out the more toxic components of Mesmer so the state of the game as a whole can be balanced in a way that is a better experience for everyone.  

Distortion on signet is bs, but then again, as a chronomancer, I'm forced to ask if I'm even allowed to have anything at this point. As for everything else, I don't agree. Sorry, but no. Mesmer is rock bottom now; mirage\chaos\inspiration is a toxic combination and that much I'll give, but I had enough of having the whole mesmer class nerfed because they can't just rework condi mirage into something different. There are other things other than mirage, you know, the problem is mirage. Chrono with inspiration and chaos achieves nothing, same for core; even power mirage does nothing with inspiration and chaos. If mirage is a problem, hammer mirage. I paid for chrono and I paid for core too when the game wasn't f2p, it's not like they gave it for free, you know, I'd like to have just a tiny bit of the game I paid for.

Edited by Terrorhuz.4695

Distortion on signet is bs, but then again, as a chronomancer, I'm forced to ask if I'm even allowed to have anything at this point. As for everything else, I don't agree. Sorry, but no. Mesmer is rock bottom now; mirage\chaos\inspiration is a toxic combination and that much I'll give, but I had enough of having the whole mesmer class nerfed because they can't just rework condi mirage into something different. There are other things other than mirage, you know, the problem is mirage. Chrono with inspiration and chaos achieves nothing, same for core; even power mirage does nothing with inspiration and chaos. If mirage is a problem, hammer mirage. I paid for chrono and I paid for core too when the game wasn't f2p, it's not like they gave it for free, you know, I'd like to have just a tiny bit of the game I paid for.

You’re preaching to the choir bud. I’ve been playing condi Chrono and more recently power Chrono almost exclusively the past 8 months or so with only a little Mirage thrown in there. 

Edited by Ronald McDonald.8165