PSA: Forum Private Message limit

Apparently there is now a limit on how many private messages can be in your inbox, and all the ones from the previous forum have carried over. I just found out I was using 158% of my limit and had to delete a bunch, then tried to send a message to someone else and found out they're over the limit too.

Both actual messages from other players and messages from forum moderators count towards the limit so even if you don't use PMs much you might be affected (I think about half of mine were about posts that were removed for one reason or another, but I was plesantly surprised to see how many real messages were there as well). Also I'm not sure on this one but I think chains of messages count the same as individual ones, so if there's anyone you PM regularly it might be best to keep them all in 1 thread.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 7

7 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

Apparently there is now a limit on how many private messages can be in your inbox

Appreciate the heads up. I don't use PMs enough to notice things like this, and probably wouldn't have until two years in!

49 minutes ago, notebene.3190 said:

Mine doesn’t seem to let me add anything else. Guess I haven’t earned that yet. Thanks.

You're not alone; this feature is nowhere in my settings, and attempting to click 'edit profile' gives the message 'There are no profile customizations available right now.' Had full stars on the old forum, so it doesn't feel like a rank/experience thing. I'll check back if I learn more.

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, AgentMoore.9453 said:

Appreciate the heads up. I don't use PMs enough to notice things like this, and probably wouldn't have until two years in!

You're not alone; this feature is nowhere in my settings, and attempting to click 'edit profile' gives the message 'There are no profile customizations available right now.' Had full stars on the old forum, so it doesn't feel like a rank/experience thing. I'll check back if I learn more.

I don't use PMs much either, I don't think I'd even looked at the inbox until I tried to send one. But apparently over 3 years of never deleting them they build up. (Especially all the "your post was removed because it quoted a removed post" and "your post has been moved/merged into..." ones. Or maybe it's just me who gets a lot of those.)

As for the title under the screen name I think it's something which was enabled by default when the forum first came online and then disabled by the admins. Literally the first thing I did when I noticed the new forums were up was check out the profile options (I was hoping for custom avatars but no luck) and I found it then and set one, but since then I haven't been able to change it again so I think it was disabled.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Ha!  I'm like 500% over the limit.  Not going to bother deleting posts; anyone I want to message is already there. 

Works just fine. 

It does mean anyone else wanting to send you a message has to make sure they've saved one from or to you, and then has to find it in their list and reply to it, which limits new PMs to people who have had previous conversations with you and saved at least one. But if you've managed to end up 500% over the new limit maybe you'd consider that a good thing. 😄

I'm not sure how it works with warnings and other messages from moderators, especially the ones which look like they're automatically generated like when a topic is moved. Maybe they can overrule the limit, or maybe it will just never show up. I absolutely do not advocate anyone who is over the limit deliberately breaking the rules to find out if the warning arrives, so I think we'll just have to wait and see if it happens naturally and the person thinks to report back. (Or maybe one of the moderators can clarify?)