Rytlock Isn't As Good Of A Character As You Think He Is [Spoilers Galore]

Rytlock is arguably Guild Wars 2’s most popular character. He’s in all their merchandising, advertisements and so on. He’s a fan favorite among the community and has recently become a focus point in the story. With that said, I want to point our attention to two other members of Destiny’s Edge, Eir and Caithe. 

Eir and Caithe are two characters I see hated on the most.

Eir for abandoning Braham and never going to visit him. Instead staying in Holebreak and fighting dragon spawn.

Caithe for killing Wynne instead of Faolain which could have stopped the Nightmare Court from getting so strong. And for stealing Glint's egg and putting it and the team in danger by running off alone.

Yet, Rytlock has done similar, and in some cases worse things than this. Now I will say I find it a bit irritating that people chastise Eir for not visiting Braham more often but then don't do the same for Rytlock. But given the ‘Charr culture’ that's seen as normal, and we do get to read in his requiem that he did go and see him every once in a while. Still, he doesn't get as much flak for it as Eir. 

Secondly, Rytlock also put the team in danger. Firstly, Rytlock is smart we know he is, yet for some reason he doesn’t find it important to tell the team that in order to get out of the Mists he had to release a man in chains...He just, didn't stop to think “Hey maybe there’s a reason this dude's locked up, maybe he poses a kind of threat seeing as he was able to fix my sword, that was once held by Balthazar.” Speaking of which are you telling me that Rytlock has NEVER seen a statue of Balthazar in his life? I’m not saying that was a kitten move on Rytlock's part to not think that MAYBE the powerful old man that fixed his sword was Balthazar but, that was a BIG kitten move on Rytlock's part. Now yes, even if Rytlock had seen that it was Balthazar, told everyone it was Balthazar, I still believe the commander would have died. But don't you think, with the info of “Ya we might have to fight Balthazar” the team might have been a bit more prepared.

If you like Rytlock, that's fine, I’m not here to tell you that you’re a bad person for liking Rytlock. What I AM here to do is to bring attention to those who like Rytlock, but complain/hate on Eir and Caithe for things that can easily be applied to Rytlock, and that maybe just maybe you have a bit of a double standard going on. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
1 hour ago, BeansWithBones.4598 said:

Yet, Rytlock has done similar, and in some cases worse things than this. Now I will say I find it a bit irritating that people chastise Eir for not visiting Braham more often but then don't do the same for Rytlock. But given the ‘Charr culture’ that's seen as normal, and we do get to read in his requiem that he did go and see him every once in a while. Still, he doesn't get as much flak for it as Eir.

This is actually one of the reasons I've felt his character has gone down hill in the past year-or-so. It really bothers me that Rytlock cares about this son that he never knew, was separated from, and is encouraged by everyone in his society to not care about. He's a Blood legion Charr for God's sake. This is what they do! No, his and Crecia's opinions should have been swapped, but at least one of them got to actually feel like a Charr.

1 hour ago, BeansWithBones.4598 said:

Secondly, Rytlock also put the team in danger. Firstly, Rytlock is smart we know he is, yet for some reason he doesn’t find it important to tell the team that in order to get out of the Mists he had to release a man in chains...He just, didn't stop to think “Hey maybe there’s a reason this dude's locked up, maybe he poses a kind of threat seeing as he was able to fix my sword, that was once held by Balthazar.” Speaking of which are you telling me that Rytlock has NEVER seen a statue of Balthazar in his life? I’m not saying that was a kitten move on Rytlock's part to not think that MAYBE the powerful old man that fixed his sword was Balthazar but, that was a BIG kitten move on Rytlock's part. Now yes, even if Rytlock had seen that it was Balthazar, told everyone it was Balthazar, I still believe the commander would have died. But don't you think, with the info of “Ya we might have to fight Balthazar” the team might have been a bit more prepared.

I can see this being a point people will disagree upon, but I can completely suspend my disbelief for this plot point. Even with with the knowledge that Rytlock knows more about the human gods then the average Charr it's not hard to believe for me that he simply didn't know or was too frazzled by the encounter to think of the possibility.

1.Rytlock has little information on the human gods, his personal research only went so far.

2.Balthazar looked significantly different then how he is traditionally depicted.

3.He had been in the mists for probably months and was desperate to get out. He had to learn a a completely new type of magic afterall.

No, the problems with Rytlock's characters are in the way he's been written recently. There are two main problems that I have with him, he is currently undergoing significant character development, but no one is calling it out. And he is marked as a crucial character to the story but not given good screen time. (Then again no one has been given good screen time.)
Because of this the new direction for his character feels slightly jarring to me, and there isn't any glue to hold it together.  Regardless I still think he's the best secondary cast member we have alongside Canach. He's helped us so much over the years and the only member of our crew that fells like a bro.

• Like 3
57 minutes ago, White Kitsunee.4620 said:

This is actually one of the reasons I've felt his character has gone down hill in the past year-or-so. It really bothers me that Rytlock cares about this son that he never knew, was separated from, and is encouraged by everyone in his society to not care about. He's a Blood legion Charr for God's sake. This is what they do! No, his and Crecia's opinions should have been swapped, but at least one of them got to actually feel like a Charr.

I would argue that Rytlock is the one Charr who should be acting this way because hes the one who has spent the most time outside of the echo chamber that is Charr society. And is the one who has thus seen all the problems of Charr society in a way most Charr never will.

• Like 2

Rytlock is the best character, is the GW2 face.

but is overused, this guy is around since... Hot? then LS3 1º episode(he get arrested), hes back ate POF, LS4, IBS... is time to put him to sleep or "arrested" again, or "marry" with Crecia help her with legions matters.

To new player non-charr experience is even more weirder, this guy appear as "important person" on zhaitan finale, and the in LS2,  like a grouch that jumps on the Mists. he's kinda obscessed with ride ascalon of the ghosts. Suddenly hes come back in HoT, and everything is important to him.

Game history being broken and dispersed on LS1 and dungeons, both dead content, hurts game lore very much.

Also the obscession with hybrids, wow nice a heavy-warrior with some magic(revenant is born), a new Gw2 hybrid, tell me something new.

Freeing a dude who was literally locked up in the mists without even asking why he is locked up seems like the mother of all stupid decisions to begin with. And for what? To keep using a stolen sword that should rightfully belong to the humans.

Aside from my obvious dislike towards charr and Rytlock, Rytlock is way overused. I was honestly disappointed when he didnt die after I saw Rylands charge towards Crecia coming from miles away. Crecia is a much better character anyway, but I'd just like to see Rytlock swapped out already.

My fanboyism demands Zojja or Logan back.

• Like 4

Meh, this is all subjective.  I like Rytlock well enough, though I'll agree with White Kitsunee in that the writers, if they can rightfully be called that, have sort of done him dirty for a while, though I also think there's some truth to what Sajuuk Khar said as well.  I'm inclined to think that the Legion and Warband way of life isn't as "natural" to the Charr as they like to think, and by spending time outside of it Rytlock is at least subconsciously realizing that.  Charr have been shown to be more like the other races in that they have traditional families when they live outside the High Legions structure, like the Olmakhan and some Lion's Arch Charr. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Imba.9451 said:

Freeing a dude who was literally locked up in the mists without even asking why he is locked up seems like the mother of all stupid decisions to begin with.

We've already done that in the cliffside fractal lol.

1 hour ago, The Greyhawk.9107 said:

Meh, this is all subjective.  I like Rytlock well enough, though I'll agree with White Kitsunee in that the writers, if they can rightfully be called that, have sort of done him dirty for a while, though I also think there's some truth to what Sajuuk Khar said as well.  I'm inclined to think that the Legion and Warband way of life isn't as "natural" to the Charr as they like to think, and by spending time outside of it Rytlock is at least subconsciously realizing that.  Charr have been shown to be more like the other races in that they have traditional families when they live outside the High Legions structure, like the Olmakhan and some Lion's Arch Charr. 

All they need to do to make to make it okay is formally acknowledged it and discuss it. That's it. There should have been a scene back in grothmar where Bangar gets mad at him for becoming too "human like" or something. Or maybe Crecia could have done that somewhere else. Even if i disagree with the direction they are taking the character in I think the main problem is that they just aren't giving their characters screen time, or even a chance to breath and talk about something that's not directly plot related when they do get screen time.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, White Kitsunee.4620 said:

We've already done that in the cliffside fractal lol.

All they need to do to make to make it okay is formally acknowledged it and discuss it. That's it. There should have been a scene back in grothmar where Bangar gets mad at him for becoming too "human like" or something. Or maybe Crecia could have done that somewhere else. Even if i disagree with the direction they are taking the character in I think the main problem is that they just aren't giving their characters screen time, or even a chance to breath and talk about something that's not directly plot related when they do get screen time.

Agreed on all counts.

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, White Kitsunee.4620 said:

They did do this

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Bangar_Ruinbringer

Rytlock Brimstone: Hey, Commander. I've got some things I need to say to the prisoner. You might as well stick around to hear them.

{Rytlock Blames Bangar for Ryland]
Rytlock Brimstone: How could you let this happen?
Bangar Ruinbringer: Be more specific.
Rytlock Brimstone: You know what I mean! How could you let Ryland do this?
Bangar Ruinbringer: "Let Ryland"—? You were there; you heard it all. This was not the plan.
Rytlock Brimstone: "The plan" so brilliant, you never even noticed my son was plotting against you?
Bangar Ruinbringer: Got me there. I don't have an answer. Maybe I'm losing a step. Maybe I was too focused on creating a future for the charr.
Rytlock Brimstone: You mean a future for yourself!
Bangar Ruinbringer: Or maybe I was so busy seeing the Stoneglow in him...I forgot about the Brimstone.
Rytlock Brimstone: The hell is that sup—
Bangar Ruinbringer: I mean, you've clearly forgotten yourself. Charr don't have "sons," Rytlock. Crecia knows that. Everyone knows that.
Bangar Ruinbringer: Everyone but you.

Bangar Ruinbringer: You should have stayed gone.

{Rytlock regrets staying away from the Homelands for so long.]
Rytlock Brimstone: I shouldn't have stayed gone. I should've come back. A long time ago.
Bangar Ruinbringer: You think that would've changed anything.
Rytlock Brimstone: Couldn'ta hurt.
Bangar Ruinbringer: You've been fraternizing with other races too long, Brimstone. We're charr. We don't do regret.
Bangar Ruinbringer: We make choices, and we own them. Good or bad. We win, we take the glory; we lose, we take the shame.
Bangar Ruinbringer: What we don't do is sit around agonizing for years about it. You've forgotten what it means to be charr.

Rytlock Brimstone: Maybe you're right...

It was even part of a lengthy achievement between episode 4 and Champions. Bagnar straight up calls him out on it.

Edited by Sajuuk Khar.1509
  • Like 2
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, SexyMofo.8923 said:

He’s not gw’s most popular character.  So all your analysis is invalid. 

Or if nothing else, the starting point of "Rytlock in as good of a character as you think" is completely subjective and more than a little arrogant.  I will decide if I think a character is good or not, not someone else.

Edited by The Greyhawk.9107
  • Like 1

To be honest with you I like Rytlock, Eir and Caithe becouse of that. They have their flaws and they are not perfect, and in opposite to Braham, a-net got us a good explanation why they acted like they did. Caithe was in love with Faolain and this love clouded her judgement, Eir left Braham out of feeling of duty to end the dragons that were threating the norn, Rytlock was shown at the beginning like a true blood legion soldier a true "Drill Sergeant" and later as we get to know him he's not a simple stereothypical charr, he cares about his son, he felt shame about all Balthazar buisness and was afrait to tell anyone. It was his mistake but if there were no mistakes made then there wouldn't be any story.

• Thanks 1
9 hours ago, Sajuuk Khar.1509 said:

They did do this

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Bangar_Ruinbringer

It was even part of a lengthy achievement between episode 4 and Champions. Bagnar straight up calls him out on it.

Huh. Well rip me. The one time I stop playing updates this happens.

Why is that significantly better written then most of the main story? It's insane how different it is when the devs get to write something not 100% plot focused and can actually devolope characters. I wonder why they don't play to their strengths. Same thing happened in forged steel, all of a sudden character writting quality went up 10 fold, then went right back down as soon as we were on the main story again. It's sad really.

Well I guess that does what I asked but I'll say reading on a forum and not hearing it in game makes this kinda dissatisfying.

11 hours ago, SexyMofo.8923 said:

He’s not gw’s most popular character.  So all your analysis is invalid. 

This post isn't soully based on Rytlock being the most popular character in the game. This post is based on my my frustration of the double standers I see when people hate on Eir and Caithe, but then excuse or don't acknowledge that Rytlock has done similar things. Writing off everything I've pointed out here, all because you think he's not the most popular character is a weak argument.

4 hours ago, White Kitsunee.4620 said:

Huh. Well rip me. The one time I stop playing updates this happens.

Why is that significantly better written then most of the main story? It's insane how different it is when the devs get to write something not 100% plot focused and can actually devolope characters. I wonder why they don't play to their strengths. Same thing happened in forged steel, all of a sudden character writting quality went up 10 fold, then went right back down as soon as we were on the main story again. It's sad really.

Well I guess that does what I asked but I'll say reading on a forum and not hearing it in game makes this kinda dissatisfying.

Icebrood saga event promised more deep history, in fact, i consider bjora marches and episodes in there a masterpiece, also a bit on drizzlewood too.

the problem is when anet push "rush mode" button.

Characters do difficult to explain things all of the time just to propel the plot, welcome to Tyria. I think we see Rytlock so often because gruff characters are easier for a team to write filler dialog for that an audience will accept. I didn't like or dislike Rytlock until the writers gave him the line about hurrying after his son because he was tired of losing things. The experience of losing his sword changed Rytlock. How could anyone go through losing a sword and be ok with losing their son?!?! 

9 hours ago, Psientist.6437 said:

Characters do difficult to explain things all of the time just to propel the plot, welcome to Tyria. I think we see Rytlock so often because gruff characters are easier for a team to write filler dialog for that an audience will accept. I didn't like or dislike Rytlock until the writers gave him the line about hurrying after his son because he was tired of losing things. The experience of losing his sword changed Rytlock. How could anyone go through losing a sword and be ok with losing their son?!?! 

To be fair, Rytlock has lost more than just his sword.  For example he lost two of his closest friends when Snaff and the Eir died.  He lost his chance to end the threat of Kralk when DE first faced the dragon.  And that's just what I remember atm.

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
On 5/3/2021 at 7:46 PM, BeansWithBones.4598 said:

Eir for abandoning Braham and never going to visit him. Instead staying in Holebreak and fighting dragon spawn.

After having endure braham for almost 8 years, i don't see why eir is blamed for this.

It's the best choice of her life 🤣 

She should have thrown him off a cliff when he was born 😅

Edited by radda.8920
  • Haha 1