Transfer Crafting Profession to Another Character

A great QOL update to this game would be the ability to transfer crafting professions to different characters on your account.  For example, my main character that I have played for years now doesn't have the Scribe ability on it.  In order to scribe things, for example, I have to switch characters.  On the surface that's not a big deal since, yes I could switch back and forth... but that's the pain of it all.  Being my WvW main, in this case it would be much better for me to be able to pop into the hall and craft what I need and have it ON this character instead of switching around.    

The other benefit would be having 5 of my crafting professions all on ONE character instead of spread around.  😉

Ease and convenience is the key.  

If we could get such an update that would simply be awesome  🙂

EDIT:  --  I have actually upgraded my main just this morning to a level high enough to craft all the WvW items I want/need.  Some (including ANet I'm sure) would say, good job-working as designed.   But I still will continue to wish for the 'better' solution above 😄

Edited by Some Call Me Tim.2319
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I feel like this has been discussed frequently.  For me, I would also like to have a maxed profession unlocked account wide just for convenience sake.  Is it that bad to switch characters, no.  Would it be much nicer to just have it on all so it I want to craft some ascended food or a sword without changing, absolutely.  However, unlikely that it will be implemented, and most players don't seem to mind it or want the time spent by devs on it.  

Would I pay some gems to unlock the options, much like bag slots or bank space, yep...when it's on sale 😉

• Like 5

In the past, I would have said that Crafting is an individual "event." GW2 has blurred the lines between what was done individually and can be done by any account character. I can't come up with a good enough reason to say "Definitely Not."

Other than the sale of additional crafting licenses. And how would that affect the initial limit of 2 for new characters?

Would you have to pay to change crafting skills if you didn't have a free slot while changing characters and wanting to use that new skill?

14 minutes ago, Game of Bones.8975 said:

In the past, I would have said that Crafting is an individual "event." GW2 has blurred the lines between what was done individually and can be done by any account character. I can't come up with a good enough reason to say "Definitely Not."

Other than the sale of additional crafting licenses. And how would that affect the initial limit of 2 for new characters?

Would you have to pay to change crafting skills if you didn't have a free slot while changing characters and wanting to use that new skill?

You can actually have 5 per character now.  I would have no problem paying to transfer to my main character if they offered that.  

46 minutes ago, The Greyhawk.9107 said:

Can't say I see a good enough reason to use dev time and money on this.  Some conveniences just aren't worth it.

Yes they would rather work on something that gets them more money, I get that.  I’m fairly confident it wouldn’t be a big effort in programming though.  Not a show  stopper for me... just would be very nice to have. 🙂

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Some Call Me Tim.2319 said:

Yes they would rather work on something that gets them more money, I get that.  I’m fairly confident it wouldn’t be a big effort in programming though.  Not a show  stopper for me... just would be very nice to have. 🙂

Oh, I'm not talking about the dev's, they probably could monetize this by selling the transfers on the gem store, I'm talking strictly my own opinion on what I'd like to see worked on.

9 hours ago, Some Call Me Tim.2319 said:

On what do you base your "fairly confident" stance?

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Personally I would want this feature implemented because I want to delete a character I have one of my crafting professions on.

He's useless, I don't play him. He literally has no gear and no inventory bags because I gave them to my preferred character of the same profession of which I've already spent a total makeover kit on and so obviously I'd rather keep that one. I mean, I really don't need multiple rangers and I would much rather keep the one I like playing and have spent money on rather than the one I have the crafting profession on. If I could transfer it from him to my other ranger that would be amazing. Especially, since the profession is already up to 450 so it would be a complete waste to just level up the profession again on my preferred character.

Better still if I could buy an additional crafting license on my main and just transfer all the separated professions onto one character.

Actually, that then brings up another topic of this thread which is to have professions available across all characters. Especially the universal crafting professions that aren't gear specific like Chef and Jeweler. Which makes me think that perhaps gear specific ones could be spread across all characters that can use that gear. So all light armor professions could use tailoring, but not armorsmithing or leatherworking, and all characters could still use the universal ones.

I get why it's not implemented like this because it's an MMORPG and having this implemented would take away the RPG value but, from my experience, more people play the game just to play and enjoy the game than people play the game to actually have role-play sessions. And even then you could still look at is as your characters share knowledge of things they learn or any vast array of role-playing reasons that could explain this phenomenon which would be fairly unique per account holder. The example I gave as to what an excuse could be could also work for either why all characters crafting can still level the profession OR ALSO why only the initial profession learner could level it up.

Personally, I just really think that sharing and transferring should be implemented into the game, especially because I really want to delete this character and I highly doubt that I'm the only one who's played something for a bit only to decide they didn't like it as much as they though and wanted to start over.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1