Suggestions to bring Dungeons back

Today I did some dungeons with friends, one of then need it to farm monk runes so we did it by Dungeons frequenter then I though: dmm dungeon are fun! why people don't play it so much?

so here I made a list of suggestion to bring dungeons back for people like me that enjoy it

add ascended gear: I'm pretty sure one of the reason why people don't play dungeons is that you can't get ascended gear, even just recipe will bring more people to the dungeons

A Lobby for dungeons: there are many lobbies in the game like pvp , fractals or raids, a lobby for dungeon will make dungeon more popular and more easy to get specially with the wp contested making  impossible to get inside the dungeons

Dailies:  I know dungeon have dailies you get 80 tokens the first time you do a path or story every day, but make more visual no many people know about it 

Cinematic: Watching cinematic on dungeon can be complicated, and more often than not you have to skip to no make the other people wait, this is minor but a npc that you can watch the cinematic later would be nice to have

More dungeons: the amount of dungeon are quite limited maybe adding some more would be nice

• Like 9

Agree, dungeons are lots of fun, I want them coming back.

Going fractals doesn't have the same dungeon delving vibe.
Also I would say change them so that there is a story and a delving mode.
Story mode is when you want to enjoy the cuscenes and the dialogues, delving(or something with a better name) is when you want to run it without interruptions.
I think that some changes would make it really neat

• Like 1

Just stopping by to agree.

ArenaNet seems to like reinventing the wheel so to speak, but it doesn't always pan out in their favor. Dungeons are dated content, but I believe they're still quite entertaining and that any concerns about 'touching old code' could be circumvented by simply adding new rewards/NPCs/achievements using the same old currencies and with the addition of a dungeon hub such as you describe to bring like-minded players together. Dungeon backpacks, titles, minis, guild missions, variant weapon sets, armors, and other shinies would breathe life back into content that's already in the game (and you might be able to extend the life of that by requiring that currently-available rewards be collected before new ones become available).

They seem to understand the value of going back to freshen things up on occasion (spotlighting older living story chapters, adding new achievements for old content, world boss rushes, putting out new fractals, etc.), and while their most recent examples of doing so are probably to pad time between now and the expansion, it seems like a no-brainer to improve on what's already here instead of continuously throwing ideas at the wall that don't stick. I genuinely hope they do it and we eventually see some polish on dungeons (and other instanced content) in a meaningful way.

• Like 7

First we had dungeons. Then Fractals. Then strikes. Then DRM's.

I honestly have no hope for arenanet actually turning around towards old content, given that they permanently seem in the rush to create the next big thing that totally isn't like anything we have seen yet except it kinda is.

At least they haven't abandoned fractals. So thats something.

• Like 1

Honestly, all Anet need to do to bring dungeons back is to bring explorable liquid gold reward back to 1g per path. Lots of people still played dungeons before that change.

But, let's not forget, Anet nerfed dungeon rewards specifically to stop people playing them. They were plenty popular, perhaps moreso than fractals, since they were seen as more casual/noob friendly.

Edited by Westenev.5289
  • Like 2

I'd also like to see dungeons/dungeon rewards improved, but the absolute last thing I want is some sort of dungeon lobby. I hate hub-based MMOs, and the fact that fractals imitate those is a big part of why I also hate fractals. It's a bit inconvenient, sure, but I prefer having dungeons rooted very clearly in some spot in the game world, and needing to travel to the vicinity is part of that for me.

14 hours ago, mindcircus.1506 said:

Fractals are a superior experience in every way.

Change my mind.

well yes, ofc, it's like saying a content created in 2018 is better than the one created in 2011, in most of cases it's.

Fractals are basicly dungeon (classic one not gw2 one) with boss and puzzles.
Dungeons are basicly dungeons but in a form of meta event like in the open worlds.

• Confused 1

Never gonna happen.

I mean they got rid of the dungeon team like 8 years ago. Even when dungeons were profitable, the content was already abandoned with no new content and no new reward, except for that one update some time ago when they added the possibility to earn an ascended trinket out of it.

Fractals is the superior content in every way just for the fact it provides difficulty scaling. If you are looking  for that very easy dungeon experience, fractal tier 1 is here for you. Other than nothing is stopping people from to just play with some friends without needing to use the lfg. You get your group, do the 8 easiest paths of all the dungeons and you will still get some gold out of it.

• Like 1

I found out many years ago it is forbidden to say anything positive or want anything to change in dungeons. Unless you like people storming the castle with fire and pitchforks. Its always greeted with the same responses.  Its built with archaic code. Team was fired. Fractals is better. Use LFG.

For me since you need tokens for gen 1 legendary items they should make it content that people want to play and update it to new standards. Its like me saying don't update fractals because of raids. The two have nothing to do with each other. Every game mode deserves the same attention as the next. If they don't want to support it then they should stop building new content.

Letting Anet disregard previous content has set a horrible precedent that has allowed them to not fix things that are broken. We have allowed an environment where it is okay to set it and forget it. So for me If it needs to be reworked in new code so be it, get it done. Having the community give anet a free pass needs to stop.

Edited by Excursion.9752
  • Like 5

one way I can think of increasing ppl on dungeon runs... Include a dungeon run in dailies everyday and not just once a week....

another way is to include more dungeoun skins(weapons and armor)....  a lit bit grindy like how the drms were... and ppl would swarm around... atleast until they get those skins.... but that might include lot of work on dev's end

another way is to include infusion drops in dungeon... like how auric and td meta has.. but the drop rate should be really really low.. so atleast the dungeon farmers keep the dungeons busy

• Like 1

On 5/5/2021 at 6:48 AM, Westenev.5289 said:

Honestly, all Anet need to do to bring dungeons back is to bring explorable liquid gold reward back to 1g per path. Lots of people still played dungeons before that change.

But, let's not forget, Anet nerfed dungeon rewards specifically to stop people playing them. They were plenty popular, perhaps moreso than fractals, since they were seen as more casual/noob friendly.

They nerfed the per path reward and added the repeatable Dungeon Frequenter achievement because while people were doing dungeons before it was only the fastest paths that were getting done. For the other paths it wasn't any better than right now.

On 5/5/2021 at 7:32 AM, voltaicbore.8012 said:

I'd also like to see dungeons/dungeon rewards improved, but the absolute last thing I want is some sort of dungeon lobby. I hate hub-based MMOs, and the fact that fractals imitate those is a big part of why I also hate fractals. It's a bit inconvenient, sure, but I prefer having dungeons rooted very clearly in some spot in the game world, and needing to travel to the vicinity is part of that for me.

Getting to the dungeons is trivial but what is a massive chore are the door events for CoF and CoE ...

Doing it once a day might be okay but even waaaaaaaay back in the days when the main gold farm in game was CoF p1 you would end up with situations where you have to redo the event to open the door after just doing 1 path.

24 minutes ago, Khisanth.2948 said:

They nerfed the per path reward and added the repeatable Dungeon Frequenter achievement because while people were doing dungeons before it was only the fastest paths that were getting done. For the other paths it wasn't any better than right now.

That's the thing I hate about the current state of instanced content. What was wrong with fast dungeons and fractals? Why can't I focus on short and sweet encounters without shooting myself in the foot, or choose what encounters I find most appealing?

You also forget that Dungeon Frequenter was a band aid patch done 6-12 months after Anet initiated a heavyhanded 66% liquid gold reduction in the name of kicking players out of dungeons and into fractals. The LFG was pretty useless back then, worse than now even.

I don't want Arenanet to touch the existing dungeons, chances are too high they might break something and make them literally unplayable, as the current developers simply aren't familiar with the code.

I'd like them to create new dungeons though.

They don't even need multiple paths like the original ones.

One path was always good enough for other games, so it'd be sufficient for GW2, too.

Edited by Fueki.4753

First to all thank everybody for you input 

to clarify I'm relative new to the game in comparation to other player that have been here for way longer than me, I didn't know Anet fired the people responsible for the dungeon that been said 

the topic is about making more popular dungeon and the list are just suggestion from a perspective of a new player, maybe because of that I'm more positive about it

there are many way to improve the popularity of the dungeon without touching the code, for example my first suggestion of making possible to get ascended gear o recipe from dungeons only required making a npc that sell it  and you need to buy it with tokens ,that change can be made without any complications or touching any exiting dungeons codes

Edited by Jerasa.9086
spelling, I'm not a native English speaker

5 hours ago, Westenev.5289 said:

That's the thing I hate about the current state of instanced content. What was wrong with fast dungeons and fractals? Why can't I focus on short and sweet encounters without shooting myself in the foot, or choose what encounters I find most appealing?

You also forget that Dungeon Frequenter was a band aid patch done 6-12 months after Anet initiated a heavyhanded 66% liquid gold reduction in the name of kicking players out of dungeons and into fractals. The LFG was pretty useless back then, worse than now even.

Nothing wrong with fast but the point is that "good old days" wasn't all that great unless you were unless interested in maybe 3 of the dungeon paths.

37 minutes ago, Khisanth.2948 said:

Nothing wrong with fast but the point is that "good old days" wasn't all that great unless you were unless interested in maybe 3 of the dungeon paths.

This has nothing to do with "good old days" - Anet set out to trash dungeons and the people who enjoyed them, and they succeeded. If you need proof, just look at the cluttered empty LFG over the past 6 years. The gold nerf and subsequent achievement was a mistake, and a slap in the face for anyone who took the gw2 motto "play your way" seriously.

I remember how hard it used to be to find a team for Arah, Citadel of Flame P3, Sorrows Embrace p2 or Aetherpath - each long and "difficult" dungeons at the time. That being said, I'm unaware of any other dungeons that weren't run even during off-peak hours. Even Caudicus Manor had players dedicated to thieving their way throughout the dungeon.

11 hours ago, Khisanth.2948 said:

As compared to nowadays, when you are kittened regardless of what path or dungeon you want to run?

And it was way more than 3 paths - every dungeon (with the possible exception of CM) had at least one path that was popular (with some having two, and sometimes all 3). And even CM that had no such "easy" path was being run on everyday basis. How was that not way better than what we have now?

And the reward nerf was not due to people running only some paths over others. It was specifically intended to make people stop doing dungeons. They even flat out confirmed that on the forums. They just wanted people to move out of dungeons to Raids and Fractals.

Edited by Astralporing.1957
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

As compared to nowadays, when you are kittened regardless of what path or dungeon you want to run?

And it was way more than 3 paths - every dungeon (with the possible exception of CM) had at least one path that was popular (with some having two, and sometimes all 3). And even CM that had no such "easy" path was being run on everyday basis. How was that not way better than what we have now?

And the reward nerf was not due to people running only some paths over others. It was specifically intended to make people stop doing dungeons. They even flat out confirmed that on the forums. They just wanted people to move out of dungeons to Raids and Fractals.

Was no raids back then only newly created fractals.

I enjoy dungeons. I wouldn't be opposed to them adding some. I doubt we'd get the fully voice-acted ones from previously but I like the overall feel of most. The puzzle parts not so much. I think DRMs were an experiment on a new dungeon system. I really want them to merge the different systems into larger systems that work together, I just feel like it'd expand the breadth of the game, especially if they used dailies to cover the all the content, basically funneling you into a variety of things instead of just new stuff.

Edited by Firebeard.1746

7 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Really? This is depressing. Of all of those pieces of content Dungeons are probably my favorite. Why couldn't they just accept what the community wanted and give them more?

1 hour ago, Firebeard.1746 said:

Really? This is depressing. Of all of those pieces of content Dungeons are probably my favorite. Why couldn't they just accept what the community wanted and give them more?

Because the team that made the dungeons dident work or the company anymore.

And the code was so convilouted it was easier to start over then to try to untangle that mess.

Hence we got fractals instead.

• Thanks 1