Not in love with the new boon "Resolution"

HotDelirium.7984

This is less a criticism of its effects (which its full effect on the game are pending per next update) and more on a lexicology level. 

As we know Retaliation will be replaced with Resolution which now prevents 33% of Condition damage...

...and so I fail to understand how the word Resolution is....resolving(?) damage from condi DOTs. How/what are we resolving with?

With retaliation I came to understand we were reflecting it back in some capacity (with barbed armor, reflecting shields, sharp thorns, spiritual retribution, etc)

I would have probably changed out Resolution with Resistance (since we are resisting damage) and maybe change Resolution to another word such as Resolve/Composure/Steadfast or which ever word appeals to you that negates anti-movement conditions. 

Do I need to be looking at this in another way? Thoughts?

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, ASP.8093 said:

"Resolution" meaning resolve, determination, fortitude, willpower, that kind of thing.

I like those words as well ( esp Fortitude) and I figure they picked Resolution because Resolve is already in the game (Virtue of Resolve) but I think in that case Resolute would be a better fit but then again does having resolve translate into resisting damage? I know its just a game but I don't fully see the logic there.

Edited by HotDelirium.7984
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, HotDelirium.7984 said:

I like those words as well ( esp Fortitude) and I figure they picked Resolution because Resolve is already in the game (Virtue of Resolve) but I think in that case Resolute would be a better fit but then again does having resolve translate into resisting damage? I know its just a game but I don't fully see the logic there.

I'm actually in the same boat on this.
Fortitude was the first word I thought of as well that might have been a better fit than Resolution.

Protection for physical damage.
Fortitude for condition damage.

Maybe I been playing too much Pillars of Eternity lately or something but I just like the idea of Fortitude being associated with resisting things like poison and disease.. it just fits.

Resolution doesn't quite feel the same, to me that word feels more like solving a problem.. and solving the problem of conditions is something I would attribute more to Cleansing them or the original function of Resistance since that too is "solving" the problem of conditions by negating their effect temporarily.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, Teratus.2859 said:

I'm actually in the same boat on this.
Fortitude was the first word I thought of as well that might have been a better fit than Resolution.

Protection for physical damage.
Fortitude for condition damage.

Maybe I been playing too much Pillars of Eternity lately or something but I just like the idea of Fortitude being associated with resisting things like poison and disease.. it just fits.

Resolution doesn't quite feel the same, to me that word feels more like solving a problem.. and solving the problem of conditions is something I would attribute more to Cleansing them or the original function of Resistance since that too is "solving" the problem of conditions by negating their effect temporarily.

I concur Resolution sounds like more of a trait line than a boon. In my mind I guess I will just see it as Resolve and just move on with my day lol

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Randulf.7614 said:

I’ve obv missed something. Retaliation is being removed? Why?

Underwhelming I think, borderline useless in PvE except on enemies in which it can rip you apart in seconds lol

Being replaced with Resolution which is essentially protection for damaging conditions 33% damage reduction. 
Add to that resistance won't make you immune to damaging conditions anymore either, only non damaging conditions.

Can see more about upcoming changes here.
https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/game-update-notes-may-11-2021/

• Like 1

I think it's too early for us to judge the usefulness of the new resolution boon, we'll see how good it will be on the 11th of May.

in my opinion the tankier the better so I welcome the new change especially now that PvP modes are overwhelmed with condi builds and considering the availability of condi cleanse

Right now retaliation doesn't reduce any damage at all, it simply retaliates direct damage based on the amount of power the caster has.

Edited by Touchme.1097

10 minutes ago, Touchme.1097 said:

I think it's too early for us to judge the usefulness of the new resolution boon, we'll see how good it will be on the 11th of May.

in my opinion the tankier the better so I welcome the new change especially now that PvP modes are overwhelmed with condi builds and considering the availability of condi cleanse

Right now retaliation doesn't reduce any damage at all, it simply retaliates direct damage based on the amount of power the caster has.

I agree, personally I like the idea of a 33% DR from conditions boon but until the patch comes in I can't really know for sure how useful that will be overall.

How much access I'll get to that on each class is a big factor in how useful it will be to me and how much I can rely on allies to supply it if the class i'm playing atm has little to no access to it.

Part of me does wonder why they didn't just add this benefit to protection though for simplicity sake.. balance probably I guess.

3 hours ago, Teratus.2859 said:

Underwhelming I think, borderline useless in PvE except on enemies in which it can rip you apart in seconds lol

Being replaced with Resolution which is essentially protection for damaging conditions 33% damage reduction. 
Add to that resistance won't make you immune to damaging conditions anymore either, only non damaging conditions.

Can see more about upcoming changes here.
https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/game-update-notes-may-11-2021/

Thank you

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Altion.9576 said:

You have the "RESOLUTION" to partially ignore the pain of the condis.

The same logic can be applied to anything really. Resolution to partially ignore the pain of an axe hits you in the face, resolution to stand your ground when a gigantic rock rolls over you, etc.
The word is just not specific.

• Like 1

On 5/5/2021 at 8:13 AM, Altion.9576 said:

You have the "RESOLUTION" to partially ignore the pain of the condis.

I have never in my life said I have "resolution" when going through hardship or illness lol - fortitude, endurance, resolve on the other hand, yes.

Edited by HotDelirium.7984
  • Like 4

On 5/5/2021 at 7:23 AM, Randulf.7614 said:

basically useless in pve as most are slow big one hits

and pvp, it's ....bad...i can kill myself faster then i kill enemy with warrior axe 5 just because enemy has retaliation...

it just favors skills with less hits...but then you have mesmer who have multi hit skills but from clones..it's very inconsistent..

On 5/5/2021 at 7:23 AM, Randulf.7614 said:

So, in PvE, nobody really builds for it. There are builds that *use* Retaliation to charge up some traits (like Radiance), but the damage of Retaliation itself is kinda forgettable — most NPCs have big slow attacks and you usually avoid a lot of them.

In PvP/WvW, it shows up a lot as an incidental boon spat out by supportive builds (especially Guardians). Since you're fighting players, they'll have fast/repeating attacks, multi-target attacks, pulsing ground-targeted AOEs, &c. Some of these trigger *a lot* of Retaliation, especially if you hit multiple people grouped together who all got the buff from a single support character. The classic example is an Elementalist casting Meteor on a big group of enemy players and then getting killed by just retal ticks alone — and that's not, like, reactive, it's just the standard support builds groups bring to make sure everyone has vital buffs like Stability (e.g. "Stand Your Ground!") also end up giving out a fair bit of Retaliation.

So the usual argument is that it's not very fun to get deleted by players who aren't even really paying that much attention to you, by a boon that's *usually* low-impact and has less counterplay than big-deal defenses like Stability and Aegis (which can be stripped even without access to boon rips).

• Like 1

On 5/5/2021 at 9:24 AM, HotDelirium.7984 said:

As we know Retaliation will be replaced with Resolution which now prevents 33% of Condition damage...

...and so I fail to understand how the word Resolution is....resolving(?) damage from condi DOTs. How/what are we resolving with?

The word "Resolve" rhymes and shares many letters with the word "Dissolve", which is what you will be doing when you can't Resist all of those DoTs.