Is GW2 dead

6 hours ago, Otherload.8014 said:

I'm playing on riverside and there are more then enough people to play with at any time of the day. So i call bs on this one.

That's because of how you define dead.

Imagine a tree in winter where all its leaves have fallen and there is no sight of spring coming. You can call it alive but I wouldn't go starting a syrup business without some sign that spring will ever return. We've been in winter a long time in wvw. Many people just stopped investing into it seriously anymore. Without the confidence of the community the mode will erode more and more.

Gw2 is not dead. People meme it's dead as people outside GW2 hear nothing of gw2 I feel it's alot down to the absence of anets marketing the game not being the most stream friendly. 

It's on a low currently due to the fact we have finished all content in PoF and now awaiting for the expansion. 

Which is pretty normal for any mmorpg. Now if your asking are we as big as WoW most definitely not. However id argue due to how this game works it "feels" more alive then world of Warcraft. 

GW2 so far I've super enjoyed I'm fairly new to the game. And the game does a terrible job of telling you what to do, it's definitely no where near as on the rails as games such as WoW and FFXIV. 

We are heading towards a expansion so it's likely the best time to get involved. As you will have plenty of time to experience the game and explore everything then be ready for the new expansion drop. 

Game has its pros and cons like all mmorpgs it has its good and bad decisions and always to some extent scuffed. 

I would say defiantly give it a go, with its more relaxed attitude towards verticle progression and it's lots of horizontal progression ontop of meta events word events, decent raids and lots of group content. I think the game does a amazing job at respecting your time

On 5/5/2021 at 9:32 PM, EQtheGOD.1504 said:

What do you think? Is GW2 dead? Thinking abouty seriously playing it in 2021.

Funny thing I wanted to ask the same but with all the changes in mind.

Practical speaking it looks like this:

- >PvE Raids(10 men content) are still played but with an always degreasing number because Areana.NET stopped permanently to make more content for it.

->sPvP They killed it for me and more then half of the player based which played it in compare to the start of 2020. Main problem was the killed the whole meta and nulled the access to boons which made the game enjoyable .. means stabi ,protection, resistance without it you can't hard push any more and you getting pushed kicked around like a ball  or get chilled which further degrees dmg and cause a horrifying  game experience

-> WvW(mass PvP) This was once a siege mode yes at the beginning people were too much on the defending side and hide behind their tower but with the change to the point system this became different and we had a lot of open mass PvP. The problem is at some point they over done it by nerfing siege weapons , banners and so on also the point system was never balanced. The problem is mass pvp is a the beginning enjoyable but just this alone is in the long run too monotone. because of this the game mode is losing players constantly because there are other MMO who done it kinda better.

->PvE Fractals (5 men PvE content) There are many view points to this:

1. The last few t4 fractals starts to need support before twilight you could run everything without it even when it was kinda slow also they became too long they became full dungeons. This pushed players out of it

2. We have challenge modes for the last 3 fractals atm the problem is the meta is more strict there Arena.NET doesn't do a good job in balance this and alienate the players on more then one occasion.

Somehow this rant about WoW I found online a couple a days ago sounds very similar to what is going on in Gw 2.

really I could just switch out WoW to GW2 every time he speaks

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

On 5/5/2021 at 9:32 PM, EQtheGOD.1504 said:

From my experience GW2 is not dead, it's very alive, even at night time with squads of 50+ players doing world Meta events and not having a subscriprion and not being affected by power creep means there are always active players with no long periods of server desertification. The story and content are progressing towards a new expansion and I predict the community is going to grow in the next couple of years.

• Like 1

Well, Guild wars 2 is certainly not dead.

Because the game is like a ship. That ship is loaded with treasure, but there's a hole in the ship and Arenanet is spending every penny it has to get everyone to row in the same direction

Edited by Vilin.8056

10 hours ago, Lord of the Fire.6870 said:

Somehow this rant about WoW I found online a couple a days ago sounds very similar to what is going on in Gw 2.

really I could just switch out WoW to GW2 every time he speaks

Saw the video a few days ago and I was thinking that currently GW2 is way better experience for players, specially newer ones; tons of quality of life details which enhances the time in the game, better mounts, more ways to get goals (exp, gold, whatever...) and better end game (crafting legendaries which last forever > crafting legendaries which become obsolete with each new expansion).

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Azure The Heartless.3261 said:

The game is not dead unless you want to frequently do content that demands high to mastery levels of skill and coordination. 

Raids and SPvP in particular have a small player pool, but if you run around in open world there's no shortage of people doing most of that content. 

Who cares about the open world in MMO everything is based on interaction with other players and the open world is running after the commander without using more than two brain cells.

It is no wonder that the number of active users jumps up and down so much since arena net does content for 2 hours . 

I really like this game and have recommended it to a few people over the last few years but nobody stays for more than two months just because of missing gameplay after finishing the story.

We have some interesting concepts (raids, dungeons, strikes, fractals) each abandoned so people play and go instead of systematically developing these modes and keeping the population.

16 hours ago, Buran.3796 said:

Saw the video a few days ago and I was thinking that currently GW2 is way better experience for players, specially newer ones; tons of quality of life details which enhances the time in the game, better mounts, more ways to get goals (exp, gold, whatever...) and better end game (crafting legendaries which last forever > crafting legendaries which become obsolete with each new expansion).

Well yes WoW is much worse then GW2 in this but we have also stuff which goes obsolete.

Here it is more content types and viabilities of builds  e.g Dungeons , Strike Mission , DRMs and on the Builds side they want to be better which each new add-on which cause massive imbalance but also they do it in-between like now with the Patch at the 11th.

The difference between Gw 2 and WoW you can also see in numbers WoW lost 6 out of 7 players , Gw 2 lost half of it .

Blizzard layed 800 employs down, Arena.NET 200 (Okay if Arena.NET would lay 800 down there is no Arena.NET any more xD)

The point is others went in the same time up like Final Fantasy XIV  or Runescape so they must done something right. Even ESO and Black Dessert Online made a comeback.(which I question)

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

According to public opinion, GW2 was already dead when I joined back in 2013. Truly amazing survivability for being dead 8 years already.

I would say, do not listen to people who want to ruin your experience. Give it a shot, and if you like it, welcome 🙂

Edited by TwinFrozr.6214
  • Thanks 1

On 5/5/2021 at 4:00 PM, Kaltyn of Torbins Deep.294 said:

I came across a youtuber that was just checking out the game two or three weeks ago.  She seems to be completely taken by the game.  While I will not deny that Ice Brood Saga has...left much to be desired in several aspects, I don't think you can call it dead.  Especially not when you see new people come into the game and get completely blown away like that YouTuber I mentioned. 

For those that are curious, I was referring to "XanBlast Productions" on YT. 

she looks to enjoy it although i think she mostly did it because she wanted more viewers than ff14 offered her

On 5/5/2021 at 2:32 PM, EQtheGOD.1504 said:

Gw2 dead? Hell no! This game is like New York, it never sleeps. It's totally unlike when I played FF XIV, where by late evening (US Central, FWIW) it's already starting to die down, and by early morning it's dead as a doornail. Same with WoW. Here, stuff's going on at all hours. It's one of the reasons why this game is my favorite MMO right now. 😄

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Joe Schmoe.6981 said:

Gw2 dead? Hell no! This game is like New York, it never sleeps. It's totally unlike when I played FF XIV, where by late evening (US Central, FWIW) it's already starting to die down, and by early morning it's dead as a doornail. Same with WoW. Here, stuff's going on at all hours. It's one of the reasons why this game is my favorite MMO right now. 😄

Can you explain this in more details ? I mean FF XIV at least from external sources it seems to be played much more https://mmo-population.com/activity . You can also look here https://trends.google.de/trends/explore?q=%2Fm%2F02q25c_,%2Fm%2F064ln09,%2Fg%2F11fpghcxdw

With WoW I can explain this myself this game as way too many maps which dilute the playerbase on each map considerable.(Note classic wow and wow together are still the biggest but only together).

About GW 2 in Lions Arch you will always found someone the problem is to find someone for specific content in this is Gw2 like the rest . With this I mean sPvP and fractal cms which prime time is roughly from 4-8 p.m in EU , WvW 6-10 p.m outside those times it can be difficult to find anyone and in sPvP you get really random groups outside those times.

Edited by Lord of the Fire.6870

18 minutes ago, Lord of the Fire.6870 said:

Can you explain this in more details ? I mean FF XIV at least from external sources it seems to be played much more https://mmo-population.com/activity .

On one side, FF XIV has population that is significantly bigger than GW2 ever had (they've announced recently that they've just passed 22 millions of active subs, and the population still seems growing).

On the other hand, FF XIV population is heavily fragmented into data servers (8 at the moment :3 in JPN, 3 in NA, 2 in EU) and those are in turn split into worlds (32 in JPN, 24 in NA and 12 in EU). Think of it like GW2 before introduction of multiserver, but with 8 zones, not 2. It is that fragmentation that can result in GW2 seeming more populated at times.

Edited by Astralporing.1957
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

On one side, FF XIV has population that is significantly bigger than GW2 ever had (they've announced recently that they've just passed 22 millions of active subs, and the population still seems growing).

On the other hand, FF XIV population is heavily fragmented into data servers (8 at the moment :3 in JPN, 3 in NA, 2 in EU) and those are in turn split into worlds (32 in JPN, 24 in NA and 12 in EU). Think of it like GW2 before introduction of multiserver, but with 8 zones, not 2. It is that fragmentation that can result in GW2 seeming more populated at times.

The fascinating thing is the they were for nearly 2 years smaller then Gw2 only apparently Gw 2 screw up with the HoT release they went past gw2 at least this is what the data says.

1 hour ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

It took them some time to recover after the failure that FF XIV 1.0 was. While the 2.0 reboot (A Realm Reborn) was good enough to keep the game afloat, it really started gaining popularity only after the Heavensward expansion (which released in June 2015).

Well yeah they done it right while Gw2 didn't .Like I said a few comments back others just done it better.

To HoT I can only say my guild lead and the consule which I know also in real life were basically deeply disappointed. HoT was aimed at the top 5% of the player base with raids and  super hard open world content which you can't solo.

Raids weren't in general the problem the problems was enrage timers and such stuff basically the raids should have more difficult level back then . The general problem from Gw 2 is they don't revisit the stuff they screw and even when it takes often them years to do so.

-> The problem with this new players will see this stuff anyway such you force them through it.

Edited by Lord of the Fire.6870
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Lord of the Fire.6870 said:

Can you explain this in more details ? I mean FF XIV at least from external sources it seems to be played much more https://mmo-population.com/activity .

mmo-population is about as useful as a Magic 8 Ball.  Their "methodology" is laughable.

I mean, they still think Wildstar has players!

5 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

"Active subs," no.  FF14 does not have 22 million people paying a sub.  Account, yes.  Not active.

On 5/8/2021 at 2:34 AM, Lord of the Fire.6870 said:

The difference between Gw 2 and WoW you can also see in numbers WoW lost 6 out of 7 players , Gw 2 lost half of it .

Where did you get these numbers from?  Unless you're talking from peak times?

• Like 1

Of course Guild Wars 2 is dead.

And MMOs are dead.

And Video Games are dead.

And the Entertainment Industry is dead.

And Capitalism is dead.

And America is dead.

And Western Civilization is dead.

And Planet Earth is dead.

And The Universe is dead or dying (though I have it on very good authority that there's a really cool little world somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse).