Is GW2 dead

I was worried about that because I'm a returning player after a 5 year break. But I've found a very active WvW (my primary focus), and open world PvE maps are still populated, always helpful people around. Got my griffon unlocked within about a couple weeks after coming back to the game. Haven't tried raids/fractals yet which I want to eventually get back into, but I know some guildies who play them still. Just join a guild, have fun.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Faline.8795 said:

mmo-population is about as useful as a Magic 8 Ball.  Their "methodology" is laughable.

I mean, they still think Wildstar has players!

"Active subs," no.  FF14 does not have 22 million people paying a sub.  Account, yes.  Not active.

Where did you get these numbers from?  Unless you're talking from peak times?

Wildstar numbers are a referendum to bring it back on which said number reflect that not sure why this is in there. But it true you can only see that as rough estimate because of this I also took google trends into it.

Yes I noticed this error too it more like 2 mio players not 22 mio which are the AC numbers.

I spoke about 2015 to now

As an old player who returned recently. Here is my experince. Game population is nothing stellar. But it gets the job done. However you will play alone most of the times and will only come across players at newer maps or at maps where  old metas are still popular. Out of that good luck seeing anyone else for hours during your gameplay. Its a lonely experince as a PVE player most of the time. GW2 can surely use more players. Hopefully Steam release will bring some new blood hopefully. Whenever that is.

• Thanks 1

On 5/5/2021 at 9:38 PM, SexyMofo.8923 said:

Yes.  There was a mass exodus from the last living story.

Source: 

While I agree that the gaming industry that flourishes from people being stuck at home is far better off, I do have to say that there are a variety of other things that puts even their employees under a lot of stress under these circumstances (family, kids not going to school, etc).

However, that's still no excuse for extremely bad writing (which the Champions chapter was) or for cutting a full-fledged story arc short. There must be reasons for that of which we are not aware (probably NCsoft pressing for an expansion ASAP?), so all we can judge as customers is the final product, namely the IBS, and that product smells of rotten fish now.

Edit: But no, the game is not dead (yet), and a lot of hope and expectations are on said upcoming expansion.

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 5/11/2021 at 6:05 PM, Beleron.9347 said:

Of course Guild Wars 2 is dead.

And MMOs are dead.

And Video Games are dead.

And the Entertainment Industry is dead.

And Capitalism is dead.

And America is dead.

And Western Civilization is dead.

And Planet Earth is dead.

And The Universe is dead or dying (though I have it on very good authority that there's a really cool little world somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse).

Nah there is good guys to its not as doo mas it may seem, but yes mmos are dead and the entertaniment indutry is going to be taken over by real people.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/14/2021 at 5:25 PM, Cameryn.5310 said:

I've been playing every day for about two weeks (after a break) and I can categorically say, NO.  The game is FAR from dead.  There are tons of people doing events and metas and bounty tags and hero point groups etc.

Each of the things you mentioned has nothing to offer veterans They are basically the events where you run with the worst build and spam 111111 .

I understand this game is for the casual gamer but in 2/3 months you will have all pink armor and then what? You'll still be running around in a group of 20-30 ppl spamming 1111?

I sincerely doubt because it's boring Just because we demand more doesn't mean we hate the game, it's quite the opposite

• Confused 1

• 3 months later...

^^Always the same question since 9 years 🙂

- some are bored/disapointed and say yes,

- some aren't and say no.

As long as this question is asked, the answer is no 😉 (only when there is no one left to ask the question, the answer would be yes)

Or as we say in German: "Totgesagte leben länger" (Deepl.com: "The dead live longer" sounds very fitting as well 😉 )

Edited by Dayra.7405

On 5/6/2021 at 7:17 AM, KryTiKaL.3125 said:

The game may not be dead, but ANet is going to have to really, and I mean really, do well with EoD if they don't want to lose a good chunk of its players when Sword of Legends, Elyon, New World and Lost Ark come out this year.

Personally I doubt that EoD will be much of anything, just more of the same from ANet. Likely just a repeat of what PoF was; added power creep, subpar story that ends far too soon, shallow content releases, etc.

The game has a pretty strong core crowd, many of whom aren't leaving, because...get this....we LIKE more of the same. More of the same is what we signed on for. I've played a lot of MMOs and many expansions are more of the same in most of them. More raids or dungeons if that's what you're into. More leveling zones if that's what you're into.

Guild Wars 2 has been unabashedly focused on open world content and meta events. Lost Ark and New World aren't going to pull a guy like me from this game, the other two I've never heard of.  People think what they like is what most people like, so they draw conclusions like this.

People said the same about Archeage, BDO, ESO, even Neverwinter.  This game is still here and still doing well.  And there's plenty of people still playing.

• Like 5

On 5/24/2021 at 3:11 AM, Sibila.5463 said:

Each of the things you mentioned has nothing to offer veterans They are basically the events where you run with the worst build and spam 111111 .

I understand this game is for the casual gamer but in 2/3 months you will have all pink armor and then what? You'll still be running around in a group of 20-30 ppl spamming 1111?

I sincerely doubt because it's boring Just because we demand more doesn't mean we hate the game, it's quite the opposite

I don't spam one at meta events, even if many people do. You're simply projecting your likes. If this game got 1000 new raids, it wouldn't be content for me.  But I'll play new meta events.

Edited by Vayne.8563
  • Like 1

A friend has been trying to persuade me (and all our other friends) to get New World but I don't think it's the right game for me. It reminds me of older MMOs from before GW1, back when I concluded I liked the idea in theory but MMOs weren't for me.

I don't think it's a bad game but it doesn't offer anything I want that GW2 doesn't have and does include a lot of stuff I'd rather not deal with, like open-world PvP. I know you can turn off PvP so you're not attacked, but it still affects the world around you. Most importantly it seems like you really need to be playing alongside other people on a regular basis to get anywhere and that just doesn't work with my erratic free time. I much prefer games like GW2 where I can play with other people if they're online but there's lots I can do solo or with strangers if my friends or guild mates aren't available.

I know I'm not the only one in that situation, I was there when my friend tried to persuade several other people and he got similar responses from many of them and I've not seen that much enthusiasm among GW2 players in other places. I don't know anything about the other games mentioned but that alone tells me I don't know anyone who is excited enough to mention them.

As I've said in other topics I think we're long past the days when MMO players were considered a tiny minority and all the games were competing to attract the same people. Partially that's due to increased awareness and accessibility (back when the first MMOs launched most people didn't have internet access and most of those who did had dial-up) but I think it's also because there's a much wider variety of MMOs available these days. That means they won't all appeal to the same people and don't need to directly compete for players, but for some reason this myth has persisted that each time a new game comes out it's going to draw significant numbers of people away from existing games and it's only a matter of time before one is successful enough that it draws in so many players that other MMOs can't survive.

As far as I know that has never actually happened. Even when World of Warcraft launched (and later when it became more popular) it didn't kill off older MMOs like Ultima Online or Runescape. If WoW can't do it I doubt anything else can, I think the industry just doesn't work like that.

If GW2 isn't the right MMO for you and something new which is coming out looks better that's great and I hope it's as good as you expect it to be. But it's important to remember that other people have different interests and priorities and aren't going to be as excited as you about the things you like.

• Like 3

On 5/24/2021 at 3:11 AM, Sibila.5463 said:

Veteran here. I don't remember electing you to speak for me. 

I think you'll find there are veterans who never touch raids, or high level fractals or dungeons, but are quite happy at meta events, and I'd wager many if not most don't just spam 1.  They want to get done with the event to get to the next thing they're doing as much as anyone. 

There are different demographics of veterans just like there are different demographics of new players. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yes, it's 100% dead. The GW2 servers are currently shutdown forever and we're all playing on a private server run by Colin Johanson.

We are only using this forum out of nostalgia and cuz the liscense hasn't expired yet.

On 5/5/2021 at 7:21 PM, Justine.6351 said:

Well let's just put it this way. Anet better pray another mmo doesn't come out with good combat and adequate pve/pvp. It's combat is its strong point so it would be wonderful if they stopped kittening on it.

[Insert Camelot Unchained Joke]

The chances of a good" MMORPG" releasing are basically 0%, especially when most are pumped out by Korea who haven't made a good game since they started developing them. There wont be any competition beyond FFXIV and ESO and they're both basically subscription games, so GW2 owns the F2P/B2P MMORPG market imo. WoW officially reached the end of it's life recently. Not much to the genre left.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Doggie.3184 said:

The chances of a good" MMORPG" releasing are basically 0%, especially when most are pumped out by Korea who haven't made a good game since they started developing them. 

I googled someone's previous list of upcoming MMOs that might be threats, and after seeing that almost all of them were Korean clones, couldn't see why anyone would think they were threats.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Vayne.8563 said:

Veteran here. I don't remember electing you to speak for me. 

I think you'll find there are veterans who never touch raids, or high level fractals or dungeons, but are quite happy at meta events, and I'd wager many if not most don't just spam 1.  They want to get done with the event to get to the next thing they're doing as much as anyone. 

There are different demographics of veterans just like there are different demographics of new players. 

::: Raises hand :::

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 5/5/2021 at 9:38 PM, SexyMofo.8923 said:

Yes.  There was a mass exodus from the last living story.

Source: 

When I am having fun I usually don't bother visiting the forum. When I am bored and want to complain, this is the place I come to. Polls here are mostly useless and represent only opinions of those that actually visit forums. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Doggie.3184 said:

Yes, it's 100% dead. The GW2 servers are currently shutdown forever and we're all playing on a private server run by Colin Johanson.

We are only using this forum out of nostalgia and cuz the liscense hasn't expired yet.

The chances of a good" MMORPG" releasing are basically 0%, especially when most are pumped out by Korea who haven't made a good game since they started developing them. There wont be any competition beyond FFXIV and ESO and they're both basically subscription games, so GW2 owns the F2P/B2P MMORPG market imo. WoW officially reached the end of it's life recently. Not much to the genre left.

The only other MMO i play right now, isnt even the same genre as this one, because no MMO in this Genre is the same as GW2, and none coming out look to be good enough to even come close to GW2 >.>

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Doggie.3184 said:

If the best thing you have to say about gw2 is that there is nothing else out there, I'm not sure that is a good sign and is exactly the point I made.

Gw2 is dead, to those guilds that just vaporized over the years. Now it caters to new players with balance patches where dodge isnt a necessary and by pumping out gemstore skins to keep the company afloat. You guys talk trash about Korean made games but you are maybe forgetting who has their thumb on anet.

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Justine.6351 said:

If the best thing you have to say about gw2 is that there is nothing else out there, I'm not sure that is a good sign and is exactly the point I made.

Gw2 is dead, to those guilds that just vaporized over the years. Now it caters to new players with balance patches where dodge isnt a necessary and by pumping out gemstore skins to keep the company afloat. You guys talk trash about Korean made games but you are maybe forgetting who has their thumb on anet.

It caters to folks who dont like standard mmos as it always did, it was always going to be a niche MMO. GW2 while owned by a Korean mother company, is nothing like the Korean mmos they are talking about.

Dead this game is not, not even close, not judging by how often and how easy it is to get multiple full maps. We dont have numbers on how many login, but if the game was dying, i doubt they would be doing an expansion.

Dodge isnt necessary? Since when?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1