Skyscale worth it?

On 5/7/2021 at 2:47 PM, Paleglider.2407 said:

If you have already completed the collection. I would like to know your experience on the collection and how you like the mount.

The mount is cool and IMO worth the time but be warned Lws4 is some of the worst MMO content in existence. Its hours of "Oh this door is locked, have to take the long way around" and "heres another 50 phase boss that nobody asked for that you can waste an hour on". If you're not interested in that spend a weekend getting the Griffon and forget about the skyscale. 

Worth it?  Yes.  After I acquisition, it's become my most-used mount, probably 90% of the time.  But I found the process maddening (did it when it first came out), to the point that when I was done I had to take a looooong break from the game; I was that frustrated.  I found the Griffon acquisition to be much more fun but I almost never touch my Griffon now.

Ever since I got my skyscale mount, I stopped using my griffin.  I never mastered the griffin to its full potential.  I don't like flying mounts that are really just gliders.  I know griffin masters can soar and gain altitude and fly with great skill and speed, but I'm not that skilled.  I prefer a flying mount that actually flies, not one you have to dive bomb to the ground just to soar up again.  That looks like a lot of fun, but you have to master its full potential.  I have no use for such maneuvers as I like to get from point A to point B without a lot of fuss.

But, that's just me.  Master a griffin mount and it's by far a better flying mount that a skyscale.  A Skyscale is a good mount to have if you want to afk in a mount for whatever reason, you can hover in the air and not be attacked on the ground.  Watch out of range mobs though, but it's safe to afk atop a skyscale for a brief time.

• Like 1

On 5/7/2021 at 2:47 PM, Paleglider.2407 said:

Hello Commanders,

I just returned to the game and see people with the Skyscale.

And I have 2 questions of my observation 

Are they a need to have mount?

I never had issues in the " old"  maps with my current mounts. But for the maps they seem to be required you can get them for free (Dragonfall). And even there the events go fast there is too me not really additional value. Just need to get out off combat timely and I can keep up with my current mounts and game mechanics.

As for aquiring them. I looked at the different steps for the collection.

And seems bigger than any legendary I have gotten via collection and also just time gated. There is no fun aspect as other collections example Chuka and Champawat.

If you have already completed the collection. I would like to know your experience on the collection and how you like the mount.

Pale,

As for objectively finding the value of the mount it comes down to what you feel is quality of life in your play experience. Personally I find myself using Skyscale and Jackal mounts far more than others (excluding underwater because there's only 1). The skyscale itself I find to be highly useful for shortcutting Jumping Puzzles, getting to higher places that would take longer on a springer, using to go AFK hovering at max height, more controlled "falling" than gliding or griffon, to general movement... there's a lot of uses for the skyscale that other mounts can't do... but each mount is situational which I love about the mount system as a whole. I've played WoW since a bit after it's launch and while I do miss some of the freedom in WoW's flying mounts most of the time just porting to a waypoint in Guild Wars 2 then using a mount to finish getting to where I need to go from there already cuts the time it would take on WoW significantly.

As for acquiring a Skyscale it might seem daunting at first glance, but when actually going through with the time it takes to obtain the mount it's not that bad. Depending on how you want to go about acquiring the materials for the collection it can be rather simple and quick or take 2-4 weeks to finish. If you have multiple level 80 characters I would suggest buying the Season 4 Tome and scrolls to port each of your characters to the season 4 zones, unless you've already played through the story on each. You can use tools available to finish each collection/purely just farm the material nodes to get 250 of each, as well as doing the meta events on each map. Now, if you have the Karma to burn on it, doing all the aforementioned options as well as doing all the Renown Hearts in each zone on each of your characters and purchasing the 5 materials from each heart cuts your time down significantly as well. Other than the Karma cost associated with each, there's really no other cost that goes along with getting the Saddle pieces that are as extreme as crafting a legendary weapon or armor piece. 

I had 11 max levels to farm the mats with and each zone only took me a few hours (including doing events and metas when available in my playtime because I just can't ignore them) to complete. The item collection parts weren't hard to do and there are plenty of guides both text and video to help you blow through those. As for the time gating between certain steps it's only 2 hours and it allows you to go and do your other dailies between the collection steps. And there's not that many to make the time frame take longer than a couple of days. Note: if you plan on using your own mats for the item that requires charged crystals that's the longest time-gated part. The treats themselves are NOT required for the collection and are rather used to shortcut when trying to find your skyscale (typically at the end of a jumping puzzle).

40 minutes ago, Electra.7530 said:

Ever since I got my skyscale mount, I stopped using my griffin.  I never mastered the griffin to its full potential.  I don't like flying mounts that are really just gliders.  I know griffin masters can soar and gain altitude and fly with great skill and speed, but I'm not that skilled.  I prefer a flying mount that actually flies, not one you have to dive bomb to the ground just to soar up again.  That looks like a lot of fun, but you have to master its full potential.  I have no use for such maneuvers as I like to get from point A to point B without a lot of fuss.

But, that's just me.  Master a griffin mount and it's by far a better flying mount that a skyscale.  A Skyscale is a good mount to have if you want to afk in a mount for whatever reason, you can hover in the air and not be attacked on the ground.  Watch out of range mobs though, but it's safe to afk atop a skyscale for a brief time.

So griffon requires height and distance to fully unlock its "true" potential. You will find which maps make better use of the griffon than other maps. It's by far the fastest mount. As for the "dive bomb to soar up again" part, yes you have to dive downwards to gain the speed/momentum, but when you climb back up you don't have to go to the max climb height, it allows you to continue with the speed while heading to a point on the map. Typically Core Tyria zones are harder to take full advantage of the griffon and I've found that Heart of Maguuma and the Desert are far better suited for the Griffon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Clex Mix.7624 said:

So griffon requires height and distance to fully unlock its "true" potential. You will find which maps make better use of the griffon than other maps. It's by far the fastest mount. As for the "dive bomb to soar up again" part, yes you have to dive downwards to gain the speed/momentum, but when you climb back up you don't have to go to the max climb height, it allows you to continue with the speed while heading to a point on the map. Typically Core Tyria zones are harder to take full advantage of the griffon and I've found that Heart of Maguuma and the Desert are far better suited for the Griffon.

Sometimes the guild halls are great places to practice with the griffin.  And I have tried and practiced and am embarrassed at how clumsy I am.  Practice makes perfect ... mostly.

1 minute ago, Electra.7530 said:

Sometimes the guild halls are great places to practice with the griffin.  And I have tried and practiced and am embarrassed at how clumsy I am.  Practice makes perfect ... mostly.

Try the Griffon Adventure in Domain of Kourna, it has a bit more room and with the checkpoints kind of forces you to use the dive/climb in a way that in my experience makes you better at it. And it's fun to do.