GW2 Isn't made for people that has a real life job.

1 hour ago, Mortifera.6138 said:

Everything since War Eternal has brought stupid grind to the game. This is not the Guild Wars 2 I fell in love with.

I feel like that's the result of trying to keep people busy until the expansion.

A lot of the Icebrood mastery abilities don't even, like, *do* anything.

(That said, I've honestly found it easier to complete the Icebrood chapter mastery achievements than the S4 ones.)

On 5/8/2021 at 5:03 PM, OlsenSan.2987 said:

Before I start I want to say that it is my opinion and I don't care if you don't agree with whatever I am saying and you don't have to read this either.

I've not been so active playing guild wars 2 for at least 3 years now.  The reason is I have a good Job and life to deal with. I have both expansions released so far and all LWS episodes unlocked. I always log in once in a while to not miss any new episode. But I can't or even feel like I can be back playing. The reasons are because the things I want to do take in the game so long, but so long, that I can't compromise myself and my time to do them anymore.

As an example. It has been over a year now that I've been trying to complete my Skyscale collection in order to get my mount and everytime I do some part of this collection I don't feel like doing it anymore. It will probably take another 2 years to complete.

2 days ago I logged into the game and tried to do "Saving skyscale collection" It had many subcollections to complete. Ice, Fire, Water, Courage, Fear and before I start this, I finished the other one about the eggs and had to wait 2 hours to start this one. This took me the whole day to finish Saving Skyscale. The amount of time I can't spend playing a game anymore. And the reason why I was never able to complete the eggs collection before is the same.

I am pretty sure there are a lot of people who enjoy this. And a MMORPG games should try to invest and keep players who would actually support the game not only with a few hours per day but also buying whatever there is for sale in the game store. But we can't if even to get a mount we have to spend days and days wasting our time into a ***** collection. Our time is valuable as too. 

I logged into the game today and checked what is the next part of collections I should get for my skyscale and I didn't feel like doing it today. So I wont be online untill the day I feel like doing it. The day I have plenty of time to spend in Guild Wars 2, that I have nothing better to do with my life. In 2 years I will finally be able to fly freely onto the skies of tyria. 

At some point, most of us grow up and realize that playing a video game isn’t a priority. So, what exactly is the point of this thread?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, crewthief.8649 said:

At some point, most of us grow up and realize that playing a video game isn’t a priority. So, what exactly is the point of this thread?

It's obviously a nerf the skyscale thread. We haven't had one for a while.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

1 minute ago, Dami.5046 said:

It's obviously a nerf the skyscale thread. We haven't had one for a while.

This person could have their job and still work on this thing over time. I have a hard time believing they’ve been working on it for over a year (job or not). 

At the end of the day, when you don’t have all day to sit around and play the game, you have to accept that there are things which you will not be able to access. How is the Skyscale collection different from legendary collections? Both are convenience items which are not required to play the game. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Mortifera.6138 said:

Everything since War Eternal has brought stupid grind to the game. This is not the Guild Wars 2 I fell in love with.

Now this I Can kind of agree with, but its mainly made to keep us playing until the expansion. They are trying to squeeze playtime out of us, regardless of how.

Before I start I want to say that it is my opinion and I don't care if you don't agree with whatever I am saying and you don't have to read this either.

I've not been so active playing guild wars 2 for at least 3 years now.  The reason is I have a good Job and life to deal with. I have both expansions released so far and all LWS episodes unlocked. I always log in once in a while to not miss any new episode. But I can't or even feel like I can be back playing. The reasons are because the things I want to do take in the game so long, but so long, that I can't compromise myself and my time to do them anymore.

As an example. It has been over a year now that I've been trying to complete my Skyscale collection in order to get my mount and everytime I do some part of this collection I don't feel like doing it anymore. It will probably take another 2 years to complete.

2 days ago I logged into the game and tried to do "Saving skyscale collection" It had many subcollections to complete. Ice, Fire, Water, Courage, Fear and before I start this, I finished the other one about the eggs and had to wait 2 hours to start this one. This took me the whole day to finish Saving Skyscale. The amount of time I can't spend playing a game anymore. And the reason why I was never able to complete the eggs collection before is the same.

I am pretty sure there are a lot of people who enjoy this. And a MMORPG games should try to invest and keep players who would actually support the game not only with a few hours per day but also buying whatever there is for sale in the game store. But we can't if even to get a mount we have to spend days and days wasting our time into a ***** collection. Our time is valuable as too. 

I logged into the game today and checked what is the next part of collections I should get for my skyscale and I didn't feel like doing it today. So I wont be online untill the day I feel like doing it. The day I have plenty of time to spend in Guild Wars 2, that I have nothing better to do with my life. In 2 years I will finally be able to fly freely onto the skies of tyria. 

you are wrong

To be fair, I think giving people a bunch of repetitive chorewheel stuff to do during the year that everyone was just sitting around at home desperately looking for a new hobby was actually a reasonable design decision for Icebrood Saga.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, crewthief.8649 said:

This person could have their job and still work on this thing over time. I have a hard time believing they’ve been working on it for over a year (job or not). 

At the end of the day, when you don’t have all day to sit around and play the game, you have to accept that there are things which you will not be able to access. How is the Skyscale collection different from legendary collections? Both are convenience items which are not required to play the game. 

More the case accept that you won't get things as fast as some and that in this game it doesn't matter. 

17 minutes ago, Thornwolf.9721 said:

Now this I Can kind of agree with, but its mainly made to keep us playing until the expansion. They are trying to squeeze playtime out of us, regardless of how.

Gw2 is as grindy as you make it. In fact if you think this game is grindy then you have been spoilt.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Dami.5046 said:

More the case accept that you won't get things as fast as some and that in this game it doesn't matter. 

Gw2 is as grindy as you make it. In fact if you think this game is grindy then you have been spoilt.

I think people confuse items they desire with items they actually need to play the game. In terms of grind, you can have everything you need, to do any endgame content in the game, within a very reasonable amount of time. If you however choose to work on luxury items (Skyscale, legendaries, etc.) then you can expect a grind, but that is 100% on you.

Edited by crewthief.8649
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, crewthief.8649 said:

I think people confuse items they desire versus items they actually need to play the game. In terms of grind, you can have everything you need to do any endgame content in the game within a very reasonable amount of time. If you however choose to work on luxury items (Skyscale, legendaries, etc.) then you can expect a grind, but that is 100% on you.

I totally agree. But on the other foot Anet shouldn't stop the 'grindy'  stuff for the people who want to do it. and like wise make sure people have the tools to play the game if time is an issue.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dami.5046 said:

I totally agree. But on the other foot Anet shouldn't stop the 'grindy'  stuff for the people who want to do it. and like wise make sure people have the tools to play the game if time is an issue.

Agreed. I personally feel that Anet does a pretty good balancing act with these things. Of course, there are certain grinds that I have not enjoyed or appreciated, but the grind itself was 100% down to my choice to partake in it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, crewthief.8649 said:

Agreed. I personally feel that Anet does a pretty good balancing act with these things. Of course, there are certain grinds that I have not enjoyed or appreciated, but the grind itself was 100% down to my choice to partake in it. 

I can respect that 'grind' means different things to different people.

I do not think of getting the Skyscale as a Grind, it is content with a great reward at the end.  It asks you to 'play the game' in different ways.  Each can be broken down into bite size chunks for 15-60 minute play sessions, or you can (time permitting) crush it all out in about 3 days.

I tend to think of grinding as doing something repetitive, like farming nodes or metas to collect mats and gold for other items.

As for the OP, it sounds a bit like the passion for the game has waned but the desire is strong for it to provide the same dopamine hit for playing it.  If you are logging out frustrated that the game isn't providing for you, that is okay,  When a game becomes work that you aren't engaged with, put it down and don't look back until the fire to play comes back greater than ever, if it does.  Sometimes that passion ends up somewhere else that makes you happy.

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, Mungo Zen.9364 said:

I can respect that 'grind' means different things to different people.

I do not think of getting the Skyscale as a Grind, it is content with a great reward at the end.  It asks you to 'play the game' in different ways.  Each can be broken down into bite size chunks for 15-60 minute play sessions, or you can (time permitting) crush it all out in about 3 days.

I tend to think of grinding as doing something repetitive, like farming nodes or metas to collect mats and gold for other items.

As for the OP, it sounds a bit like the passion for the game has waned but the desire is strong for it to provide the same dopamine hit for playing it.  If you are logging out frustrated that the game isn't providing for you, that is okay,  When a game becomes work that you aren't engaged with, put it down and don't look back until the fire to play comes back greater than ever, if it does.  Sometimes that passion ends up somewhere else that makes you happy.

I suppose I would class a grind as anything that I would not normally want to do and requires an investment of (significant) time. I think one’s definition is largely down to our individual circumstances.

Saying that, the grind in GW2 is largely voluntary. I recently finished Astralaria (which I absolutely love) and didn’t feel the “grind” was all that bad, however, I am aware that my feeling is/was proportional to how much I really wanted it (which was a lot).

20 hours ago, leila.7962 said:

I think that only PvP

PvP should only require time in approximately 15-20minute chunks unless you play at times when most people are asleep but that is pretty much unavoidable for PvP in any game(except but having a large global playerbase but that isn't something a dev can will into existence).

I've been so busy with work, moving, ect that I haven't played for around 4 years and didn't even log in to get the free living story chapters. I don't even have a roller beetle and just recently got my skimmer to drive underwater.

Do I win the "my time is most precious" award now?

That being said, I may not have all the bells and whistles or all the mounts and skins others have but that's okay lol. My enjoyment tends to come from just playing (although some stuff can get frustrating). 

• Like 3

Some steps, such as unlocking another of the five main collections requires waiting for 2 hours after the previous step. The total minimum time needed to unlock the mount is 3 days plus 8 hours.

That's from the wiki entry:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Skyscale

That link is not only a Wiki page but is a guide as well. I do not get what you are saying other than getting a strong 'give it to me now~~~~foot stomp'. Did you have the same problem with the Griffon? The Beatle? Legendaries?

The Skyscale collection is not that hard. I spent ten minutes a day on it because it was simple 'GO HERE, DO THIS'. I still got the mount finished within about two weeks. Hell. Most of that time was do Teq, do Skyscale, log off. Even now it's do Teq, do one DRM, log off. Overall, people saying they have no time, their time is precious, yet are willing to do a post about not having time? 🤔

Like, if the collection required you to do a raid, then I'd understand having had to put 4+ hours aside for raiding in WoW when I played that. I raided with people who had 50 hour work weeks, had kids to take care of and still put aside the time to raid (best kitten tank I ever played with) when it was scheduled. Of doing LFR and spending 4 hours in one raid wing because well it's LFR but the guild won't take you to the real raid until you were decked out in the LFR pieces. That there was a grind.

So maybe look at your time and section it out better? Like, I only work 20 hours a week but I have certain time blocks of 'this is done at this time' when I'm not working so that I can enjoy some time playing and still get adulting done as well.

Edited by miraude.2107
Some sentences didn't format right.

First off, Guild Wars 2 more so than other games on the market, rewards a player in such a way that when looking at the vast amounts of things to do in the game the rewards are seemingly minuscule but have much more value down the road... for example, at times it feels like T5 mats are "too common" and to some might feel like a crap reward. But when you factor in legendary crafting having a lot lying around saves you gold, you can also use them in the forge to make t6 mats. Most things in GW2 have a use and it just depends on whether or not it's a use for you or what you want out of the game. 

Onto your point about the time it takes to earn the Skyscale, it really takes no time at all. Even with just a couple hours a day you can earn quite a bit towards finishing the collection. It just seems to me like you want a bit more instant gratification, and while that's fine for some games, Guild Wars 2 doesn't offer a whole lot of it. Simply put, this may not be the game for you. It's not going to just change for your liking, though I do think there should be some give and take on that subject myself. For instance Gen1 leggos I feel should have a reduced cost associated to them. I think purely because there's going to be Gen 3 leggos soon, and most of Gen 2 (to me) look better than most of Gen 1 (yes even The Dreamer, it doesn't look at good its mostly about just annoying people with the NEIGH NEIGH NEIGH). I think it would also be a good hook for keeping newer players around. New players are good for the game in several ways. They add to the economy, they could potentially buy things from the Gem Store adding to ANET's potential for making more content a bit more steadily as well as just cannon fodder for open world content (i jest but you get the point).

All in all, the main point is you get out of this game what you put in. Focus on 1-2 things at a time and don't let the vast amount of collections and things to do in the game overwhelm you. There are plenty of text based and video based guides for new players out there, take them with a grain of salt and compare them and decide for yourself what works best for you.

• Like 1

i think it’s more a FOMO thing than anything else. i never felt the need to grind for gw2 and i have a family and full time job. i got my exotic gear.  i am playing pvp, wvw and finishing the live stories. but you decided to complete something much more time intense and then complain about it. let me tell you a secret, you do not need to grind for those things, you can enjoy the game in other ways. otherwise move to single player games. i hear that super mario is a good one

• Like 3

On 5/8/2021 at 11:03 PM, OlsenSan.2987 said:

Are you playing the game with friends at all? MMORPGs are about community - If you either

1. find people who enjoy the same game-modes as you or
  2. bring real friends into the game

it becomes more interesting!

Edited by Svarty.8019

On 5/9/2021 at 12:03 AM, OlsenSan.2987 said:

I play this game precisely because it enables me to lead a life outside of the game .

I don't know what your problem is, but apparently you are too old for computer games.

12 hours ago, ugrakarma.9416 said:

for skycale u really need scale down your goals, or will hurt yourself.

im kind of guy that sleep very few, so i can grind and "work", but even in that way i set a goal to make skycale in a month, not in a week, even worse, in a day.

That's a really good point.

When I got onto gathering the saddle materials for the skyscale I set myself a goal of 50 per day I was online. Not 50 of each material or per character, 50 total. Once I got to 50 I'd stop collecting that material for the day and do something else. I think that helped stop it from getting too boring or dominating my time in GW2.

I'd log in and start by just looking around the map for nodes, or doing hearts if there were ones I didn't mind, then I'd see what happened while I was doing that. Sometimes I exceeded my goal for the day because when I got to 50 I was in the middle of a meta event or I'd joined a bounty train and finishing it gave me more of the map currency, but that was ok because at that point I'd kind of forgotten about the collection and was just playing, so it was fun rather than feeling like a grind for materials.

(The one exception is the Kralkanite Ore from Istan, because I had some of that already and if you have the extractor thingy you can get quite a bit from each site, so I was able to get all I needed in about 2 hours one evening, although the fact that I kept going until I had it all is also why I decided to set a limit for the others.)

• Like 4