What level does the game get challenging ?

I ve been leveling around with different classes for a while. Noticed that the game is way too easy. Creatures die too quickly, I dont even have to use most of my abilities / skills.... I like the overall graphics/story and all but the combat seems lacking depth and most of the content can easily be killed by just auto-attack (skill 1). There is no need to group or develop sophisticated strategies at all. 

So my question is this a game for babies or do i have to grind to very high levels to get the fun? Thanks if anyone directs me to any of the challenging content

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 3

If you want challenging, try World vs World (PvP) or Conquest (PvP). Raiding in PvE (endgame) is also a thing especially under challenge motes, but you'd need a static to do the challenge variants.

The game is generally easy, especially the story. Some achievements can be tricky to pull off though. Certain meta events require heavy coordination with players (looking at you, Serpent's Ire) and can't be done solo. If these terms seem unfamiliar, they should become easier to understand at level 80 (max) or when you've dived into the expansion maps.

Things are dying quickly in PvE because of powercreep. Unless you move off core tyria maps, most of the content there is designed mainly with story/leveling in mind and balanced around mismatched gear with poor or incomplete builds. Even if you go to Heart of Thorns maps they've been nerfed from their original iterations while classes were powercrept.

• Like 2

If you are playing in zones below your current level, things will be easier.  Try playing in zone above your level, or in L80 zones such as Dry Top, The Silverwastes, any expansion zone or Living World Season 3, 4 or 5 zones.

Welcome to Tyria, and good luck. 

Edited by Inculpatus cedo.9234
typo
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Turkblade.9461 said:

I ve been leveling around with different classes for a while. Noticed that the game is way too easy. Creatures die too quickly, I dont even have to use most of my abilities / skills.... I like the overall graphics/story and all but the combat seems lacking depth and most of the content can easily be killed by just auto-attack (skill 1). There is no need to group or develop sophisticated strategies at all. 

So my question is this a game for babies or do i have to grind to very high levels to get the fun? Thanks if anyone directs me to any of the challenging content

If you're on your own, plenty of the expansion areas can be challenging. Some meta events are challenging when you're doing them without a full zerg. Raids in this game are pretty challenging.

Have you gotten outside of the core game yet?

• Confused 2

Since nobody else bothered to answer the question, I will.

Level 80, when you finish the personal story parts (even Cursed Shore is easy) and finally move to living world/expansion content. Keep in mind that if you go to the expansions directly after you finish the core game, you will be hit by a giant difficulty wall, as the challenge ramps up very fast. So I advice trying zones like Dry Top, Silverwastes and Southsun Cove before going to expansion content.

Up to level 80 the game is really easy, but that's to be expected as the game is also aimed at people with minimal (or no) knowledge of gaming. The 1-80 part of the game does need to be shortened though, as it takes a significant amount of time to reach the better parts of the game.

Edit: the OP is clearly asking about LEVEL, so they are obviously not level 80 yet.

Edited by maddoctor.2738
  • Like 5
  • Confused 1

My advice to you if you're finding it too easy is to test yourself. Go to a zone 5, 6, 7 levels above you, pull more than one creature and have at it. It's much more fun when I do that. The combat system is awesome at end game.

• Like 1

Core Tyrian maps offer no challenge at all, except for the occasional champ.

HoT maps are a bit more challenging.

If you're looking for a proper challenge you need raids, or to look outside of PvE. Try WvW or PvP.

• Like 1

Subjective.

But if you are finding it too easy.

Go to level 80 areas when you're only level 20, or 30 and attack a mob using skill 1 only as you said.

Some good areas are The Silver Wastes, or Dry Top... Southsun Cove, or even other surrounding areas on core maps.

Try Silverwastes when all the Mordrem have come out to play.

A skillful player such as you should have no problem taking out the mordrem champions single handed.

... and if you still find it too easy, wait for the legendary to pop up.

Now it is a real piece of cake for you; and you even might get a pre cursor weapon from him.

Edited by SoulGuardian.6203

28 minutes ago, SoulGuardian.6203 said:

Subjective.

But if you are finding it too easy.

Go to level 80 areas when you're only level 20, or 30 and attack a mob using skill 1 only as you said.

Some good areas are The Silver Wastes, or Dry Top... Southsun Cove, or even other surrounding areas on core maps.

Try Silverwastes when all the Mordrem have come out to play.

A skillful player such as you should have no problem taking out the mordrem champions single handed.

... and if you still find it too easy, wait for the legendary to pop up.

Now it is a real piece of cake for you; and you even might get a pre cursor weapon from him.

Actually, there are two fun challenges you can try here.

A) Race to the ruined city of Arah from level 2 (as low as possible, you'll be level 8 by the end), no mounts allowed.

B) Maguuma map completion from level 2 (as low as possible, I think I got level 9 by the end of VB), no mounts or wvw hp tickets allowed.

This is fun challenge because of a curious mechanic that increases mob agro range if you're of a low level. As outlandish as this is to believe, I got my first precursor doing the maguuma challenge. Admittedly it was only the sprear, but if I omit that, it'd sound cool right?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I don't know what MMOs you've played before but GW2 isn't one of the ones where reaching the maximum level is a long-term goal and you'll have done most of the game before getting there. Level 80 is the maximum and you can get there relatively quickly if you want to, and that's the point where the game really opens up (I've heard some people call everything before then an extended tutorial).

The game intentionally starts off easy and gets harder as it goes along, with the hardest areas being not just for level 80 characters but things you're unlikely to just stumble into - World vs World, Player vs. Player matches, raids, strike missions and higher tier Fractals I think are the main ones, but even the open-world areas in the expansion maps are harder than the base game ones and especially the lower level ones.

If you're below level 80 and finding it too easy try playing in maps above your level. You can go into any of them at any point (it's even possible to enter raids on low level characters, although I don't recommend actually trying that), or try going to PvP or WvW, both of which will scale you up to level 80 (WvW uses your current equipment, PvP has a seperate system which you'll need to set up before going into matches).

Another option is to use the tomes of knowledge you've been getting from login rewards to level up more quickly (each tome gives you 1 level) so you can get to harder content sooner, or if you've got the expansions you'll have a level 80 boost which will instantly give you a max level character so you can try out the harder content right away. I don't normally recommend new players use it early on, but if you're finding everything else easy you might be ok.

• Like 3

GW2 is an easy access game. It doesnt copy other games and they want to be original and easy to get into. To do so, they overall dificulty level is low and also the game is easy to get into.

I also doubt that more difficult games would classify as true MMORPG's.  In a role playing game, the difficulty of fights should be relative low (compared to some other genre's)

5 hours ago, Pirogen.9561 said:

Go into HoT expansion zone like Verdant Brink.

Go get all Hero points solo.

Report.

P.S.:

Heck, no need to solo all HPs in HoT. Just survive for more then a minute.

Eveything in hot maps been nerfed so hard that they No hard anymore lol

• Haha 2
  • Confused 2

Base game is very easy and will not challenge you, until maybe Orr. Dungeons have a noticable difficulty spike and will challenge new players. HoT and PoF are harder, occasionally challenging and are much more interesting as a result. Anything can be rendered faceroll content by zergs/farms/groups. For instanced group content you can look to Fractals, Raids and some Strike Missions for challenging content.

7 hours ago, Turkblade.9461 said:

The game doesn’t get difficult as a group of players saw an end to that many years ago. Difficulty only exists for certain types of content in the game but that content is neglected by the developers as the primary focus is the gem store and face roll open world content (living world episodes and expansion). 

• Like 1

If you read your skills and have a basic understanding of build craft, it doesn't at any level per se.

While it does get better after core, which has just been completely obliterated as content/gameplay by powercreep and can genuinely be beaten by a Ranger pet, T4 Fractals/CM's, Raids and Plat+ sPvP and WvW are really the only places where the actual game mechanics really matter/were designed for though. 

Edited by Asum.4960

9 hours ago, Turkblade.9461 said:

Maybe you are still leveling in lower level areas, I understand you still get exp due to level scaling but if you want a challenge you should aim to level up on areas of your level range or slightly higher. At level 80 you will notice an increase in difficulty because normal monsters can 1 shot your full berserker character, like the snipers in HoT maps, champions hit even harder of course. Good luck

The game will be too easy until you get to ls2 maps, dry top and silverwaste. Then another difficulty spike for the heart of thorns maps. Ls3 maps are also a nice challenge. Unfortunately, for pof, ls4, anet started catering to the common denominator and the map got easy. IBS is back to starting zone difficulty, compare the son of sanvir in bjora with those in bitterfrost.

• Like 1

It starts getting hard at Lvl 2 and continues until you stop playing.

13 hours ago, Turkblade.9461 said:

You must be the "most awesomest" GW2 player in history. Having played the entire game front to back and never having to worry about death.  If there's ever a title "Survivor's Survivor," .... well, you get the picture.

Actually, that's kind of how I felt in GW1 when beginning to play my first Dervish; I was invincible, until I wasn't.

The beginning territories are to learn game mechanics and history of 'the world.'  They offer base mats for crafting and overall little real challenge if you pay attention.

The mid-levels are where you begin to mold your first character into what you want for the future. 

The Game truly Begins at Level 80. From there everything opens up. Ascended gear is an option to wear, Silverwastes, getting lost in HoT, burn your toes in the sands of PoF, and all the LW content in-between.

Welcome to GW2, our motto should be: "The Game is what You wake of It"

• Like 3
  • Confused 1