PvP is the one true content that never gets old because every fight is unique. Focus development on PvP and the game will prosper. The combat in this game is absolutely brilliant.

miifi.2150

11 hours ago, miifi.2150 said:

PvP is the one true content that never gets old because every fight is unique.

That makes sense. In that case there is no reason to invest any further resources into that game-mode at all. Thank you very much!

Now that this is finally settled. The balance-team, now striped of 80 % of their work-load, should have enough time to look at the Engineer Turrets, which have never been reworked at all. I know none of you actively plays Engineer at all, but that is not a problem. About 1/5 of the Engineer Board contains ideas and suggestions regarding the turret-system. If you need further help, feel free to ask, we will gladly answer what ever question you have. We definitely need a rework of this skill-type, because your most recent patch has lead to a summon-to-destroy mentality. Ironically, that very patch was your idea of preventing the turrets for exactly that fate. Did not work out. We are stuck with this mess for 4 years now. It definitely needs a rework before EoD arrives. Once you are done with that, the Guardian mains have two very big problems:

1.) The sound of Scepter auto-attack drives them mad.

2.) Rename "Retreat"

Both problems have multiple threads on their board. Yeah, that is it. They have got no other problems than that. Does not sound like much to me either, but it is the class most players main at the moment - thanks to your wonderful balancing-work. 

-

Jokes aside, PvP is a little under-represented when it comes to content updates. When they get stuff it is mostly balancing or a new reward track, that prevents them from setting a foot into PvE.

They could use a few more maps, maybe with some unique mechanics. A small GvG option with group sizes up to 10-20 would be nice as well. Also a couple of more skins, preferably armor-sets that can be only obtained from that game-mode. That would re-populate the game-mode once in a while, at least temporary. In addition, the bot-issue should be addressed. And maybe the cheaters.

my view in it regardless of my preferred game type is even though most of the focus has been on the pve side of things over the years gw2 still suffers the same issue most other mmo's suffer from, mediocre pve experience. That said tw2 combat mechanics are amazing for pvp type play. So in my opinion gw2 can be 1 of 2 things. 1 a mediocre pve experience with wasted pvp potential or 2 a great pvp focused mmo that sets it apart from other mmos while continuing to provide mediocre pve. 

One seems better imo than the other.

15 hours ago, miifi.2150 said:

PvP is the one true content that never gets old because every fight is unique. Focus development on PvP and the game will prosper. The combat in this game is absolutely brilliant.

1v1 PvP is the most important, because at the end of the day every human has his own solo consciousness.

And whoever is against PvP is probably a casual player who barely plays the game. However casual players aren't the ones who keep the game alive and breathing; and you casual players who are against PvP should really think deeper if you truly love this game and wish long term health for it.

I truly hope ArenaNet really thinks this one through because the combat is absolutely brilliant in this game, and I'm personally done playing for now because there is no good PvP system.

Best of luck and may intelligence prevail.

Joined March 26th

Ah yes.... I remember when I was you once. young and hopeful for this game's pvp and the metas it creates through it's balance.

• Like 4

anet fail to see how pvp is the true content that can bring the most revenue without needing to soak fundings into new model and NPCs all the time.

i remeber there was a online FPS which was a PvE game and shifted to PvP focus because they realized PvP is easier and they dont need to keep making new monsters/map/lore and etc to make money.

1 hour ago, FrownyClown.8402 said:

Would you believe me if i said gw2 pvp was better in 2014? Adding dedicated support builds is what killed it. They should of made one profession better at giving certain boons than others and called that support. 

nop, 2013 had better pvp with support guard.

32 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

The 5x dagger/dagger ele compositions? Fun times, indeed.

Yeah cele ele was op and while I enjoyed that meta others didnt. The meta right before cele ele was the most fun for me. I think it was grenade engi and spirit ranger meta. 

On 5/10/2021 at 10:51 PM, Samnang.1879 said:

I played like 600+ games in one season. It gets boring. 

You cannot keep playing it forever like PvE content. 

PVE is pretty concrete when it is implemented. They fix the bugs, and problems, and then it is solidified into permanent content...rarely...rarely...if ever...changing.

You can practice it, and get better at it. You play it daily, and soon enough you can be considered a master.

There is a pinnacle of pve, and many players can reach it.

For pvp.....

you constantly have other humans, learning beings, working against you.

PVP is kittening superior based on this fact alone.

It is a great combat system but I think the biggest reasons for the lack of growth are:

1.) MMO's have always had this vertical power progression system and gear treadmill. A lot of players are conditioned to feel like they aren't getting any value for their time if they don't have a carrot on a stick to chase. I personally prefer Guild Wars 2 for this reason alone. I value my time, and I appreciate it when a game does too. The downside is that the rewards in Guild Wars 2 have just never been great, and their reward systems over the course of Icebrood have been some of the worst.

2.) The constant reinventing of the wheel and implementation of systems without ever really elaborating on them or improving them. Just using some aspect of them in a brand new feature and next thing you know, even as a veteran player, if you quit before Icebrood you now rarely have fractals, or raids, and have strike missions, visions of the past, drm's. Each with their own annoying reward system/currency.

That being said, reworking core traits, adding missing core elites, and reworking under-utilized utilities or underused weapons to give the profession a different playstyle or build opportunity is a great way to make the game "feel like new again" and can impact every aspect of the game. 

I'm not sure what metrics they use to gauge what skills players are using, but I hope they have some kind of analytics on it. So many utilities go unused in all game modes. Mirage Advance or the evade and summon a mirror skill for example. I've yet to really see anyone use either, and mirage advance having a cast time is just stupid when it behaves so similarly to shadowstep.

50 minutes ago, Crab Fear.1624 said:

PVE is pretty concrete when it is implemented. They fix the bugs, and problems, and then it is solidified into permanent content...rarely...rarely...if ever...changing.

You can practice it, and get better at it. You play it daily, and soon enough you can be considered a master.

There is a pinnacle of pve, and many players can reach it.

For pvp.....

you constantly have other humans, learning beings, working against you.

PVP is kittening superior based on this fact alone.

I agree as pvp is the only thing I wind up doing when there isn't new living story or expansion content to absorb.

The problem is that this wouldn't really lead to "growth" but satiate veterans. In its current state, in an unranked match, I can't count the number of times I've gone in just to relax as a veteran player not looking to climb in rank.. and been up against a premade of legendary/high plat players that just farm the likely new players on my team. I guess there isn't much that can be done for that, but I doubt it leaves a great impression on someone just starting out in the game. Especially when they're dealing with coordinated crowd control and getting nuked down without being able to press any buttons.

I do think we're long overdue for a new type of pvp game mode though. Something that doesn't necessarily involve holding a capture point or a battle royale skirmish. No suggestions here but perhaps something akin to WvW on a more rapid time scale with controlled stats that gives players a chance to pursue objectives or just run around and fight. 

When GW2 was on its Esports stride, people didn't watch the matches because the current balancing effort was rewarding builds that specced as bunker as possible and set up shop on the nodes. The viewership metrics from that are probably to this day being used to justify not focusing on working on PvP and its interactions. 

The combat system could carry this game much farther than it currently is. It beats out WoW, Blade and Soul and FF14 combat by miles, but theyre in a causality loop. They dont see people playing pvp, so they make poor, un-tested or uniformed changes either due to lack of time or some other source, and people respond by not playing pvp.

If there was some kind of way I could directly support a team of people working specifically on this game mode, I'd go for it.

Edited by Azure The Heartless.3261