Suggestion: Add a PvE Warclaw Mastery

1 hour ago, Hannelore.8153 said:

Warclaw (without a mastery line) would make a good rental mount for newbies and F2P players, something that's been suggested for a long time.

IMO, rental mounts would disincentivize players from purchasing the expansion to get the other mounts.  Not in Anet's best financial interest.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

IMO, rental mounts would disincentivize players from purchasing the expansion to get the other mounts.  Not in Anet's best financial interest.

Wrong. People are far more willing to give cash to a company or person they think has their best interests and fun at heart. This is why so many companies go out of their way to intigrate themselves with the Zeitgeist.

• Confused 2

4 hours ago, slave to the grind.5028 said:

Wrong. People are far more willing to give cash to a company or person they think has their best interests and fun at heart. This is why so many companies go out of their way to intigrate themselves with the Zeitgeist.

Wrong (or not, depends on the person), way too broad of a statement considering how different people are from each other.

Also people getting rentals won't necessarily see it as "company having their best interest and fun at heart", but just as an integral part of the game that "always was there anyways". Unless we add some sort of captcha at each rental npc that will require the player to type out "I understand that in the past this was not a feature of the game I'm currently playing, but Anet cared about me so much that they've decided to add rentals specifically for the betterment of my experience" -then sure, the player might be able to tell that anet "did it specifically for the sake of the player".

...but then again some will understand it's specifically for the reason you've mentioned above and so in the end it wasn't added "for the player", but "to convince the player to spend the money". Can't win. 😞

Edited by Sobx.1758
did specifically it -> did it specifically
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

On 5/15/2021 at 2:33 AM, Rasimir.6239 said:

You do realize that there are players out there who have no other mount than the warclaw, because they simply do not like to play PvE enough to gain another? Why would you punish them by removing their access to the only mount they have available in PvE?

You literally do the FIRST mission of POF... it takes a whole 5 minutes. It's actually HARDER (and takes longer!) to get the Warclaw mount than it is to get the Raptor. Try again with a better excuse.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, slave to the grind.5028 said:

If people are so willing to give cash to Anet, then they should simply purchase the expansions which would allow them access to all of the mounts.  Not sure what zeitgeist has to do with anything?

3 hours ago, Bristingr.5034 said:

You literally do the FIRST mission of POF... it takes a whole 5 minutes. It's actually HARDER (and takes longer!) to get the Warclaw mount than it is to get the Raptor. Try again with a better excuse.

The main problem with unlocking mounts has never been the difficulty. The far bigger issue is that you have to wait for it for a long time, or do the story out of order. That last one is actually of a huge importance to many players.

Warclaw is the only mount that can be obtained early without having to skip story steps. Too bad that it's a WvW mount, with no real place in PvE. There really should have been an introductory mount (with introductory core mastery) that would be available early without having to do story skips, and that would actually be meant for PvE, making it somewhat useful there. But that would require thinking about it early in the mount design process.

Edited by Astralporing.1957
  • Like 1

Not sure why it needs a PVE Mastery.

As I stated in another thread a while ago about this same topic, the only warclaw usage I can see happening in PVE is in Drizzlewood as a replacement for the ram. Firstly because the usage of supply to break a door is already existent in WVW so the mechanic can be copy-pasted and also because it fits thematically.

Also :

On 5/15/2021 at 10:58 AM, Brandon Uzumaki.1524 said:

Seeing as the WvW people reception for it wasn't, ahem, that good, they could just remove it from WvW and make it the Icebrood Saga mount, unique functionality would be the ability to mount while in combat (with a CD of course), since well, Warclaw, so it's a "combat mount" of sorts.

There, almost everyone is happy lel.

If you played before when it was launched and right after you would know why. There was no way to dismount people (so staring contests ensued in small-scale) and there were people running around with 25+ warclaws , not fighting normally and just jumping on an unmounted group to insta-down and finish them at the same time. That's not even including the movement speed which has been nerfed in enemy territory. It is still immune to CC.

Some highlights:
2019 : Warclaw "Superior Battle Maul" stomp was reduced from 10 targets to 3. Lance was added to dismount other mounted players. Can no longer cap anything while mounted.
2020: Warclaw stomp dropped to 1 target in 2020 and no longer finishes. Base endurance dropped (i.e. number of dodges). Warclaw's Blessing added so players without the mount can keep up in WVW (whether it affecting golems is an oversight nobody knows).

Edited by Infusion.7149
  • Like 1

Warclaw's abilities should remain in WvW.

Anet should just make Dolyaks as a Core mount. no special abilities and has the run function speed of the warclaw. It will give them something to have while at the same time incentivize the idea to collect the PoF mounts to get mounts that have actual function.

Have the dolyak vendor in LA to be purchasable for 5-10 gold or a small quest line to obtain in at around level 30.

13 hours ago, lokh.2695 said:

I'd rather have ANet spend resources on something else.

What resources are you even talking about? The ability literally already exists in WvW. Just make it apply to PvE too, with a Mastery or without. 

I dont get why people are so negative about adding things to help new players, they would literally rather remove things from the game(like above mentioned removing Warclaw completely from PvE) which achieves nothing. Nobody is forcing you to use a Warclaw or to even get one, just like nobody is asking you put up your mentor tag and forcing you to help new players. Not wanting to help people is one thing, voting against help towards newer players is another.

Perhaps you should go spend your "resources" on something else. 

• Thanks 1

On 5/15/2021 at 1:47 AM, Dawdler.8521 said:

Or by far the simpler and most logical option - remove the ability to use the warclaw in PvE.

Problem solved. It's a WvW mount for WvW that cannot be used in PvE just like PvE mounts are for PvE and cannot be used in WvW.

It's not rocket science.

This probably makes the most sense. Just hurts WvWers who bought the skins and want to use them outside WvW I guess XD.

It's in a weird spot for sure. The other option would be to enable its masteries earned in WvW in PVE. While few would actually do anything, it'd feel better than nothing (or there could be alternative effects in PVE after they're unlocked). And really I thought i was done with PoF masteries twice already. I don't want to have to go back and earn more XD.

Edited by Firebeard.1746

9 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

I disagree @Astralporing.1957 about introductory mounts mainly because the core maps do not require mounts to complete content.  Doing the story in order gains mounts at the appropriate story steps, when they are needed.

While they are not strictly needed, they make game a lot better. Especially HoT, where doing the maps with and without mounts is a completely diffeent experience.

Notice also, that even in PoF they are required only in the few places that were designed to act as barriers bypassable only with specific mount masteries. Apart from those barriers mounts aren;t required either.

As such, locking all of the mounts beyond story was not exactly an ideal decision.

12 minutes ago, Fat Disgrace.4275 said:

Typical greedy entitled pve person wants other game content in their own. Let's have way to obtain legendary armour reward track

Well, at least WvW did get the legendary armor available to all those playing that content. The "PvE" one is still locked in a niche content huge majority of PvE players will never play.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

While they are not strictly needed, they make game a lot better. Especially HoT, where doing the maps with and without mounts is a completely diffeent experience.

Notice also, that even in PoF they are required only in the few places that were designed to act as barriers bypassable only with specific mount masteries. Apart from those barriers mounts aren;t required either.

As such, locking all of the mounts beyond story was not exactly an ideal decision.

That's kinda my point.  In core maps, mounts are nothing more than a QoL thing.  Anet is forcing players to pay for expansions in order to get them.  I believe that Anet would make less money that way, especially if such rentals are obtained with gems due to the ease of gold -> gem conversion.  IMO it makes little to no financial sense for Anet to do this.

5 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

That's kinda my point.  In core maps, mounts are nothing more than a QoL thing.  Anet is forcing players to pay for expansions in order to get them.  I believe that Anet would make less money that way, especially if such rentals are obtained with gems due to the ease of gold -> gem conversion.  IMO it makes little to no financial sense for Anet to do this.

Mounts being available in core areas is not the same as mounts not being locked behind expacs. Remember, that, at least mount masteries would be, because the whole mastery system (even for core) is locked behind expansions.

I'd rather see them introduce additional WvW masteries to make it on par with Jackal/Raptor in PvE.

Idk, being a WvW player, i'd want to be able to use my mount with all the skins and and unlocked functionality in PvE too. Sort of like mistforged armor skins, legendary backpiece and a trinket. It's weird, people are against it 🤔

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kondor.2904 said:

I'd rather see them introduce additional WvW masteries to make it on par with Jackal/Raptor in PvE.

Idk, being a WvW player, i'd want to be able to use my mount with all the skins and and unlocked functionality in PvE too. Sort of like mistforged armor skins, legendary backpiece and a trinket. It's weird, people are against it 🤔

That makes no sense: WvW masteries in PvE.

I can only imagine the outrage by primarily PvE players.

If I'm being completely honest I could go either way on this. I play all game modes and I could see the arguments for either side. To me the warclaw in PvE has been nothing more than a novelty item that shows you dabbled in WvW.

In its current state the warclaw is pretty much nothing more than a moving chair outside of WvW. It would be nice if it had some purpose outside of WvW but it's not necessary. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Excursion.9752 said:

If I'm being completely honest I could go either way on this. I play all game modes and I could see the arguments for either side. To me the warclaw in PvE has been nothing more than a novelty item that shows you dabbled in WvW.

In its current state the warclaw is pretty much nothing more than a moving chair outside of WvW. It would be nice if it had some purpose outside of WvW but it's not necessary. 

This pretty much sums up my view as well.

In order for the warclaw to be a desirable mount in PvE its functionality would have to be greatly expanded to come even close to the usage of something like the raptor. I don't see ANet adding enough to the warclaw for it to be a desirable choice for enough players, over any of the other options in PvE, for a change to be worthwhile.

6 hours ago, Excursion.9752 said:

Exactly. I play all game modes too. My thought was that this ability to make allies around you move faster(which btw already exists in WvW) would be helpful when a veteran player brings one of their friends(new player) over to GW2. Making a Mastery for it or making it an inherent ability to the Warclaw does not matter much. This ability is technically of "no benefit" to the mount rider personally. 

Veteran players have gone to great lengths to help new players for a long time. There are even people who "suffered through Raids"(because they dont like Raids) for enough Magnetite Shards just to get the White Mantle Portal Device, so that they could use this item in HP Trains and JPs to help other/new players. Getting extra tools to help out new players should be a welcomed sight in the spirit of GW2 Community.

Instead, we have people here complaining out loud to completely remove the Warclaw from PvE...

• Like 2