Off-line

• ArenaNet Staff

I heard back from the editing team. 

Short version from them:

They did it as part of some editing clean-up (clean up? cleanup? I don't even know at this point) to make it grammatically correct. 

Long version from them:

GRAMMAR CONTROVERSY AT ARENANET

The editing team struggled mightily with the weighty decision to add a hyphen in the term "off-line." After a heated debate that included no small amount of name-calling, tears, and even a little bloodshed (from an accidental, self-inflicted paper cut), they came to the not-entirely-unanimous decision that matching the spelling prescribed by Merriam-Webster outweighed the aesthetics and character-limit savings of the nonhyphenated spelling. One valued member of the team is contemplating leaving their highly sought-after Assistant to the Junior Editor position over the entire affair. The harmony of the editing team has been forever upset, but it's a worthy sacrifice in the name of proper grammar.
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 14
  • Confused 8
  • Sad 15

1 hour ago, Fire Attunement.9835 said:

I heard back from the editing team. 

Short version from them:

They did it to make it grammatically correct.

It wasn't broken and shouldn't have been fixed. Offline is the current market and consumer-friendly term. Off-line is an obtuse and "technically" correct usage.

Like, I'm glad you leaned into the meeting room and asked them what was up (we like dev communication), but this is the last thing they should have been fiddling with. If the team was more concerned with optics than grammar, they'd have realized how it looks for devs to be squinting at something like this when the community has been told for the past year that all staff focus is on the upcoming expansion and therefore to expect thin effort on the rest of the game. If you're picking at trivial line items in the game that don't appear to improve anything for the players, you give the impression that all hands are not actually on deck.

At the end of the day, this particular matter is of very little concern - but the optics aren't.

Edited by AgentMoore.9453
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

You won't fix the audio bug that makes combat grunts and groans and various /emote sounds overpower actual in-instance dialogue (Because it's on the dialogue slider instead of the effects slider), or just annoying in overworld combat (Such as the obnoxiously loud grunts and groans during the Svanir shaman chief world boss) but this was of dire importance?

This is the equivalent of refusing to respond to someone's argument/question/general comment, and instead just replying:

*their

• Like 8