Welcome to the new forum [MERGED]

I'm finding quotes quite difficult to handle. I forgot to add this one to my 'multiquote' list when posting and then couldn't find any way to get it into the previous post. Clicking edit and then the 'inset quote' box just gave me one box with an editable version of the post above and then below it a seperate reply box with this quote.

It wouldn't let me click and drag it into the first post, and trying to copy and paste only copied the text, not the quote box formatting. I'm on another forum which has a similar set-up (although I think it's different forum software) and there I have the option to switch to a basic editor which shows the [quote=username] code instead of the actual quote box so I can just copy and paste it, then switch back to see all the formatting in action. I think something similar would be useful here, if it's possible.

8 hours ago, Fire Attunement.9835 said:

There's still a lot of work going on behind the scenes, and I'm wrapping up for the night. But this reminded me that I'd meant to add that. You all should see it as an eye icon in the post editor now. 

Thanks, that's going to come in useful. 🙂

• Like 1

New Forum looks waaaay better and I think formatting and search options are hugely improved! I miss tho badges and signatures which evaporated.

@Fire Attunement.9835 Does 'default' reaction to post icons will be replaced? Current ones doesn't fit GW2 art style, so I've created quickly replacements here in topic below if it would be helpful ⤵️

I'd also like to say I really like the embedded Twitter addition as well.

I don't use Twitter personally nor do I want to.
In general I don't care for social media sites and what they've become these days and like many others I've been distancing myself from them for a good while now.

So being able to see the developers Tweets right here on their official forums without having to use a third party social media site that I want nothing to do with is a really great decision.
I've missed a lot of GW2 info over the years that gets shared on Twitter because I don't use the platform.
Now that I can see that stuff right here on the forums hopefully that won't happen anymore.

Edited by Teratus.2859

I have to say, OVERALL I do like the new clean look of the forums.  It feels better, fresher and more organized than it did before.  I also like the fact that it is more streamlined and less CHUNKY looking than before.  I don't like CHUNKY looking forums, but I do tolerate them.  The font could be a point or two bigger, but that doesn't necessarily make me not want to use the forums either.  

I have to say, because I am a Twitter user, I do kind of like the Twitter box at the top of the forum.  I'm also glad that it's stuck at the top and doesn't "Follow" you down the forum as you scroll (that would be annoying to me to have it constantly in my face as I'm using the forums).  But for those who DON'T Like it, there should be an option in their profile to turn it off.  I understand how some people feel about Twitter.

And there should also be more profile options for those of us who would like to share a little more about ourselves than just our usernames.  I'm sure we could make do with doing that in the signatures box, but as I don't like using signatures and prefer having an actual PROFILE for people to see, I think that would be nice.  I wouldn't say go full on FB or anything like that, but a few more profile options would be nice...even if it's just sharing what server we game on, what character we play most and maybe a hobby or two we do outside of the game???

As for the Dark/Light options, I'll wait and see how that turns out.  My eyes generally prefer a darker theme, makes everything easier to read, especially when things are smaller, but...like I said, we'll see.  

Otherwise, I have no MAJOR complaints.  Just a few tweaks to make things more enjoyable from my own point of view.  

• Like 1

Please get rid of that Twitter box.

Secondly increase the font size. It is significantly smaller. Whilst I agree I could use the controls to zoom in on my Internet Browser, I dont have to do this with any other webpage.

• Like 4

I'm surprised so many people liked the badges, I assumed hardly anyone cared about them because the only time I can remember them being talked about it was when a bunch of new ones appeared which didn't match because they were using the default icons.

15 minutes ago, Nightgunner.2896 said:

Happy to see that the forum migration went significantly less poorly than every time I've ever migrated a forum's software.

Every forum I've been a moderator or admin for hasn't even gotten as far as attempting it, we've wiped it and started over and tried to convince everyone a fresh start is for the best.

21 hours ago, Beleron.9347 said:

Why is it, I wonder, sitting in front of my modestly sized entry-level  monitor, largely unbothered by the large expanses of white in front of me, that I suddenly experience a certain feeling of Schadenfreude towards those hard-core gamers with their huge, expensive ultra-wides...

I'm on a laptop and there's too much white space. Nothing to do with hardcore gaming.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

I think the stars are gone, they were likely specific to Vanilla forums. But they were just a simplified post count, and now we have an actual post count, which pretty much serves the same function. (Personally I'd get rid of that too, but then I've had bad experiences with forums where posters and posts were judged entirely by each person's post count.)

To block someone you hover the mouse over their name or picture and there will be an option at the bottom of the little window which comes up to ignore them. Clicking that takes you to another menu where you can choose to hide their posts, messages (private messages I assume), mentions or signature, or any combination of those.

Ah, thank you so much! The block thing would come in handy since I got death threats in the german forums during the original true vanilla forums back then a few years ago and reporting people hasn't solved anything sadly so I don't need to be afraid to post there anymore thanks to the new function. 
Anyways what abour our previously earned achievements on the old forums which are now the second forums since the OG got archived years ago? I'd like to retain them again as it took me a lot of effort to have these even in the previous ones even though I play since 2012... 
Yet still the new layout confuses me a lot but I think I'll get used to it. Also happy we have a roleplay subforum (and a lot of other coll new stuff) now which was long overdue since ESO already got it. I hope the RP community will grow as much more in GW2 (although it's pretty strong but on tumblr only as far as I know) as it did in ESO. 

On 5/1/2021 at 2:38 PM, Ardenwolfe.8590 said:

On a side note, what happened to the previous forum awards?

Edit: I see multiple people asked this question.

I'm actually kind of glad they don't have those anymore.  Here is why.  I think those awards caused some people to play the forum for badges as if they were an in game achievement.    When the Vanilla version launched in 2017 with all those badges I noticed a significant increase with a few people posting in almost every thread.  Often they were saying the same thing others already said but in different words and I got the feeling they were just trying to farm likes and helpfuls.   For me it got kind of annoying seeing people I felt were trying to farm forum achievements and in my opinion their frequent posts often diluted the conversation more so than contributing to it.

But I also kind of understand it.   Whenever you offer some kind of status on a forum some people will want to be at the top just because.  Just like social media with their likes and hearts and stuff.  People want to feel validated.  Now that this forum has a block function I won't be upset if they bring forum awards back.  However, some of the people I suspect of farming forum achievements occasionally offer good posts I like to read.   So I'd rather not see positing here made in to a contest again. Just my opinion.

tl;dr  I feel people should participate in a discussion because they feel like they have something positive to contribute and that should be enough as opposed to wanting some sort of badge or ranking.

Edited by JustTrogdor.7892
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Jski.6180 said:

Please add in where you can see who reacted "some one" just dose not cut it. Could you also bring back at least the core classes icon for choose for your pic chose i miss core ele.

We had that (who reacted), for a few days, on the previous forums; it was removed due to popular demand.

I don't think it would be helpful. 

6 minutes ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

We had that (who reacted), for a few days, on the previous forums; it was removed due to popular demand.

I don't think it would be helpful. 

I can react and retract it over and over and you would have no ideal what going on. Its not good to have unknown who reactions.

Is it possible to add 'nested' quotes? When a post is quoting someone who was responding to a previous post I find it helpful to have the whole conversation there to refer back to without having to dig through a thread. Long quotes are already compacted so I don't think it would cause problems with huge quote boxes, but maybe it could be limited to 2-3 'layers' if that's the case?