Welcome to the new forum [MERGED]

• ArenaNet Staff
1 minute ago, Donari.5237 said:

It'll take some getting used to and some learning curve, for sure, but my first impression is "this is neat."

On your to-do list I suggest re-stickying some threads such as Gemstore Requests if that's not already in the works.  Otherwise people are going to just load up the Gemstore News thread with requests because they won't see the dedicated thread for it.  (One sticky should probably be a basic guide to the new forum features).

It's in the works. They all un-stickied themselves and just 😱, so I'm getting them back.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fire Attunement.9835 said:

I do not have confirmation that it will happen or a timeline but I can tell you it's being looked into. 

Heard the same thing from Gaile about 3 years ago, nothing was done and this was the perfect opportunity to make it happen, but alas we are still stuck with being blinded.

• Thanks 1

New forum looks okay (still hoping for a nightmode).

The new features accounts can use to track posts / threads are great.

The function that saves comments when closing the thread / reloading the site is great, no more losing comments by mistake!

You can also now directly give a reason for an edit!

I've also noticed the new moderation rules don't state anything about posting d-ata-mined information. Is that an oversight, or intentional, as it used to give a warning?

("d + a" is censored for some reason)

Edited by Raknar.4735
New edit function! Gave my mistaken statement a strikethrough font.

It's okay.  Seems like a little too much neutral space.  The ignore feature is nice.  I was using custom filters in uBlock for that on the old forum.  Speaking of filters though, now I have to figure out a way to make new custom filters for the, in my opinion, excessive amounts of sticky threads.  I had the ones I didn't care about hidden with filters in uBlock also.  It would be nice if there was a feature where users could hide the ones they have read somehow.  I often view on my laptop and having so many sticky threads takes up a lot of the screen.   Sure it isn't a huge issue to scroll past them but it I was happy to have solved that on the old forum.  If anyone knows a custom filter for uBlock origin to do this on the new forum I'd appreciate a message with instructions.  Thanks.  🙂

6 minutes ago, Raknar.4735 said:

New forum looks okay (still hoping for a nightmode).

The new features accounts can use to track posts / threads are great.

The function that saves comments when closing the thread / reloading the site is great, no more losing comments by mistake!

I've also noticed the new moderation rules don't state anything about posting kittentamined information. Is that an oversight, or intentional, as it used to give a warning?

It's listed in the official 'Forums Code of Conduct', which the post you quoted refers to. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

It's listed in the official 'Forums Code of Conduct', which the post you quoted refers to. 

Oh, yeah. I'm dumb. Didn't see it, looked for "kittentamine" with ctrl+f, but didn't find it for some odd reason. On closer inspection i've found it at the top!

2 minutes ago, Witch of Doom.5739 said:

Where is the Ignore feature?  I look forward to ignoring several posters who have to post on Every.  Single.  Thread.  Thank you.

Hover your mouse over their name in a post and a window will pop up with and option to ignore the person.

Edited by JustTrogdor.7892
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, JustTrogdor.7892 said:

Hover your mouse over their name in a post and a window will pop up with and option to ignore the person.

Thank you!

Now on another note for the forums... oh boy, my eyes are still adjusting.

The quoted replies can get overwhelming and basically turn a conversation into a giant confusing wall of text where names don't line up to their quotes and breaking from the quote box area. Maybe this is just a problem from older posts with a lot of quotes in them? I don't know.

For example this thread in the wvw forums.

It's going to take some getting used to, but I'm glad we've not lost all the topics this time and I'm finding the new options interesting. Mostly I'm just happy we're back, I've missed chatting about GW2 over the last week!

I'm also amused to find my username is censored, especially because it changes to 'kittennikat'. 😸

Also, very, very low priority of course but is there any chance we could get some GW2 specific emoji? Like Aurene, Joko, skritt, profession images, maybe the different races?

Edited by Danikat.8537

Here's a couple more requests for new features, if possible:

• Spoiler tags: these are really useful for talking about new content without giving away the surprises for everyone.
  • A way to diable the Twitter advert which appears at the top of each page and pushes all the actual forum content to one side.

(Also when you use bullet point there's no way to see if they're actually in or not without previewing the post, which is moderately annoying.)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fire Attunement.9835 said:

Hello everyone, and welcome to the new official GW2 forums! We are still doing cleanup and organizing from the migration from the old forums, but we did not want to make you wait any longer. You'll probably see weird formatting and broken links here and there, new posts with general information, and missing posts (like the newest game upkittente notes). We're working hard on those things in the background, I promise!

Thanks for your hard work on this. I know from experience that there's a mkittenive list of little chores in front of you, so I hope you know your time on this is appreciated. I really like some of the functionality of the new software and it was well worth the time you are putting into it.

Edited by mindcircus.1506

23 minutes ago, kittennikat.8537 said:

Here's a couple more requests for new features, if possible:

• Spoiler tags: these are really useful for talking about new content without giving away the surprises for everyone.
  • A way to diable the Twitter advert which appears at the top of each page and pushes all the actual forum content to one side.

(Also when you use bullet point there's no way to see if they're actually in or not without previewing the post, which is moderately annoying.)

My ad blocker prevents the twitter box from displaying. 

Is there a way to disable the Twitter widget?

It's taking away precious space that could be used to make posts wider and easier to read.

I'm not a fan of the newspaper colukitten style it causes, to put it very mildly.

And I have no interest in that anti-social media anyway.

Also, will there be an option to completely disable the profanity filter?

What about the option to block other forum users?

Will there be a way to return to the previous, in my opinion vastly superior forum visual?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Fueki.4753 said:

It's taking away precious space that could be used to make posts wider and easier to read.

I'm not a fan of the newspaper colukitten style it causes, to put it very mildly.

Will there be a way to return to the previous, in my opinion vastly superior forum visual?

You can hover your cursor over a poster's avatar image, and find options (such as block). 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fueki.4753 said:

As stated a few posts up, hover your mouse over the persons name and you can get the option to ignore.

Had to use my ad blocker to block the twitter widget.

Doubt they would allow disabling the profanity filter in the public space, but they know the filter is over working itself right now.

3 hours ago, Fire Attunement.9835 said:

Our new forum software has a lot of new features that we haven't had access to before, so we're also planning to add several of them as time goes on. The goal is to continually improve this platform for you.

I am all for improvements great job on the upgrades to the forums!  However there is something i have to call out right away. As someone who has spent years in the graphic design field of work. 

The space reserved for twitter on the right side of the page which force shifts the main content of the page to the left and possibly shrinks it a bit is rather annoying. It makes reading post a bit of an eye sore with all the extra white space on the right and the text being considerably smaller than it was on the previous setup by default is also bothering. (had to zoom in a bit just to make it easier on the eyes)

I did a quick look but didn't see any options to hide the the twitter feed or expand the main content of the page which would be nice. The main content of the page not being centered on the page is a problematic design flaw in my opinion. Giving an option to view twitter news is nice but it shouldn't be force shifting the main content of the page. Most people dont come here for twitter news, its a nice to have but likely should not be a forced part of the page.

I like most of the other changes I've noticed so far but please give us an option to hide the twitter feed or expand the main content of the page if possible. 

Edited by ZDragon.3046
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

You can hover your cursor over a poster's avatar image, and find options (such as block). 

9 minutes ago, XenesisII.1540 said:

As stated a few posts up, hover your mouse over the persons name and you can get the option to ignore.

Had to use my ad blocker to block the twitter widget.

Doubt they would allow disabling the profanity filter in the public space, but they know the filter is over working itself right now.

Thanks for that.

I'd never have found that ignore function by myself, except maybe by accident.

I've have blocked it with my ad blocker now, too. There should be an official forum option though.