Welcome to the new forum [MERGED]

4 hours ago, Metzie.3012 said:

Is it just me, or does someone also miss the "Save drafts" function? Is it still somewhere (and I don't see it)? I often interrupt writing comments or posts and continue them at a later time.

I miss both the save draft and the preview. The save draft was useful on long posts to save in case of accidental refresh and preview was useful for a last check for errors before posting. 

• Like 2

The body of the text on mobile relative to the other font and object sizes. I increased the font size to 150% so I could read it in my Safari browser, but now all the other fonts and objects (including this editor) are too big. Would be nice to increase the post body font size a few levels and keep everything else as is.

• Like 2

Well done on the forum's update, it definitely looks much better than before. My only concerns are the reactions available, I understand we are all getting used to social network these days, but I would have never allowed reactions such as laughing, sad to be used in forums where discussion is a key ingredient not to be laughed at.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Just a flesh wound.3589 said:

I miss both the save draft and the preview. The save draft was useful on long posts to save in case of accidental refresh and preview was useful for a last check for errors before posting. 

The preview still exists, see picture. I did not see it right away either.

spacer.png

Edited by Metzie.3012
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• ArenaNet Staff
8 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

• Spoiler tags: these are really useful for talking about new content without giving away the surprises for everyone.
  •  

There's still a lot of work going on behind the scenes, and I'm wrapping up for the night. But this reminded me that I'd meant to add that. You all should see it as an eye icon in the post editor now. 

• Like 2

Woah, still need to get used to it. 
Anyways, what happened to the stars that were usually displayed beside the name? 
EDIT: Anyone knows how the new "block" function works? It would be very helpful by now.

Edited by Cynder.2509
forgot to add something

14 hours ago, Fire Attunement.9835 said:

I am not promising anything because people who are not me have to do a lot of things to make that happen, but it was the first thing I requested. I do not have confirmation that it will happen or a timeline but I can tell you it's being looked into. 

the new forums are great! looking forward to the forum dark/night theme!

One thing: Yesterday I got a notification cause someone "reacted" to my post (gave "like" icon). Is it possible to disable this without disabling quote and @ mention notifies? Didn't see something about quotes in the notifications options but the "reactions" (which I guess only means those likes and other smileys) are together with the @ mention in the notification options.

I certainly do not want ot get a notification every time someone clicks on some like button .But I need to be informed about every quote and @mention - so I can react to it by answering if someone quoted or mentioned me.

3 hours ago, Cynder.2509 said:

Anyways, what happened to the stars that were usually displayed beside the name? 
EDIT: Anyone knows how the new "block" function works? It would be very helpful by now.

Yes you hover over my picture then tap the ignore user.

You get transported to another screen where my tag is in the top and right under there you got 4 tick boxes you need to click on.

Edited by Linken.6345

I had to come back to thank you for fixing the Dev Tracker with this new redesign of the forums. It had been such a huge gripe of mine to not be able to use the previous version of it and how it broke the functionality. I've been awaiting for this fix for a few years now. It even works on mobile! Great job.

I don't know if I'm feeling as positive about the alignation of the body. It feels odd to be off-center because of the embed twitter feed but I do think the idea to embed the twitter feed on the forums to be a good one. Maybe it just shouldn't be on every page and reserved for the main page of the forums instead.

+1 for dark mode please.

Edited by Kitta.3657
  • Like 2

Quoting multiple users at once is an absolute pain. If there's some way to write new replies in a separate window, please enable it.

Signatures limited to 3 links is arbitrary and counterproductive. In the previous version I had 12 links there, linking to all my major threads on the forum, so people could navigate across my content easily.

The top posters bar provides useless information, but if you want to keep it nonetheless, place it at either the top or the bottom, not right below the first post of the thread.

Also, still no option to delete your own threads/posts? 😞

14 hours ago, DeceiverX.8361 said:

My glorious upvote:post stat is gone QQ

I do kind of agree there's way too much neutral space between posts and definitely needs a night mode or background with more gray.  Seems to be an issue on ultrawide displays in particular because if I narrow the window to one third width or less where there's little to no padding and in the mobile orientation, it's dense and colorful enough where I have no issues.  Once I pop into full desktop mode, it feels like my eyes are bleeding, and actually hurts to use, though.  I can tell my hacking around the css this site is definitely primarily developed for mobile now.  Wider aspect ratios are handled imho pretty poorly.

I did a quick mod to the css in my browser to body{ background-color: #555;} and it feels MUCH better on the eyes.  Value #s up to 888 are also pretty good too.  I know it's not seamlessly integrated with the rest of the site's formatting (sidebar images are non-transparencies, header doesn't match, etc.), but it makes the site way more usable to be honest.

Also is there any way to remove the twitter feed?  I don't use Twitter, it doesn't follow the viewport, and it horizontally offsets all content on the side on wider aspect ratios as seen in the image, probably contributing to the eyesore/unoccupied white space.  To be honest, if I also wanted to view ANet's tweets I'd just... go to Twitter.  I don't get this feature.

spacer.png

Great change on the background thing, a quick solution if we aren't getting night mode.

13 hours ago, ewenness.6482 said:

Too much unused space. The amount of white is searing my retinas.

Having the twitter feed on the side is of little value to forum users and distorts each page.

100% agree, the forum is full of noise (buttons with submenus instead) too.

29 minutes ago, Kitta.3657 said:

I had to come back to thank you for fixing the Dev Tracker with this new redesign of the forums. It had been such a huge gripe of mine to not be able to use the previous version of it and how it broke the functionality. I've been awaiting for this fix for a few years now. It even works on mobile! Great job.

I don't know if I'm feeling as positive about the pagination. It feels odd to be off-center because of the embed twitter feed but I do think the idea to embed the twitter feed on the forums to be a good one. Maybe it just shouldn't be on every page and reserved for the main page of the forums instead.

+1 for dark mode please.

The twitter widget is horrible. It shouldn't be there on every thread, the previous version already had tons of wasted white space left and right, now it's even worse.

7 hours ago, Touchme.1097 said:

Well done on the forum's update, it definitely looks much better than before. My only concerns are the reactions available, I understand we are all getting used to social network these days, but I would have never allowed reactions such as laughing, sad to be used in forums where discussion is a key ingredient not to be laughed at.

I would remove reactions altogether, they're not a good idea, and we already saw them used in the previous version to cause harm. Remember when ArenaNet thought havinga "thumbs down" button was a good idea, but then had to remove it when it started being used against them?

Emotes provide nothing useful to the conversation.

11 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Is there an option to place the "edited xyz ago" notification next to the "posted xyz ago" on the bar above the post (apparently there is already one, but without a specified time) OR at the bottom of the bost below the signature line? So... anywhere else than the main body of the post? I think it looks a bit weird as it is right now.

⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️

Looks like a part of the post.

Great idea, it looks awful now, and the user name bar is empty anyway, would be a good way to make it useful.

Alternatively, post it in the lower bar, right of the quote option.

Edited by Lonami.2987
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Opened the forums from a different computer, on a browser without adblocker. My immediate thought was: the twitter bar needs to go. As soon as possible.

If it's really necessary to have it, it should be present on the main page only. There's no point for it to be present on every thread - people do not enter those threads to read twitter. They enter them to read/respond to the thread.

From first glance, I love it. 

Looks fresh, it's responsive and love the extra options.

Many times our texts miss emotion, so adding emoji is a nice touch.

Not too keen on the twitter feed, but it doesn't bother me either.

I too, would love to see a dark mode, specially for my phone, but I do understand that it takes resources.

Gonna play around and see what all the options are, but as I said, first impression is great. 

8 hours ago, Just a flesh wound.3589 said:

It looks like drafts are saved automatically. I haven't seen a notification about it and the button is gone, but I've left a topic and come back and what I was writing was still there.

7 hours ago, Cynder.2509 said:

I think the stars are gone, they were likely specific to Vanilla forums. But they were just a simplified post count, and now we have an actual post count, which pretty much serves the same function. (Personally I'd get rid of that too, but then I've had bad experiences with forums where posters and posts were judged entirely by each person's post count.)

To block someone you hover the mouse over their name or picture and there will be an option at the bottom of the little window which comes up to ignore them. Clicking that takes you to another menu where you can choose to hide their posts, messages (private messages I assume), mentions or signature, or any combination of those.

Then if you want to change the settings or unblock them you click on your name at the top of the forum and pick 'ignored users' from the list.

(As far as I can tell there's no way to know if someone has blocked you.)

4 hours ago, Luthan.5236 said:

One thing: Yesterday I got a notification cause someone "reacted" to my post (gave "like" icon). Is it possible to disable this without disabling quote and @ mention notifies? Didn't see something about quotes in the notifications options but the "reactions" (which I guess only means those likes and other smileys) are together with the @ mention in the notification options.

I certainly do not want ot get a notification every time someone clicks on some like button .But I need to be informed about every quote and @mention - so I can react to it by answering if someone quoted or mentioned me.

It doesn't look like it. I thought there would be seperate ones but it looks like mentions and reactions are grouped together, which is annoying because to me those are very different things.