Alacrity

Raffrey.5271

I don't understand...

The symbol of alacrity is a clock, it was meant to be a boon as a result of time manipulation. How can any class be better than a chronomancer, when it comes to time manipulation?

Some random idea:

-Orders From Above: split the 1.5s of alacrity into 0.75s of alacrity and quickness.

-Chaos Vortex: quickness instead of alacrity, or split into 1.5s of alacrity and quickness.

........or maybe change the symbol for alacrity? 🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, Game of Bones.8975 said:

Sometimes they don't chose words that easily describe the boon or condition. 

Sure, after using them a bit you get used to what they mean and how to use them. But you shouldn't have to look up in the dictionary how to play your character.

I mean... you have a point.. and one could argue that chronomancers should be the only one’s to manipulate time, just like warriors are the only ones with banners, rangers the only ones that can spawn spirits....but... it was never introduced as a class specific buff but rather a boon.

Im all for there being more class diversity in groups and multiple classes able to fill certain buff roles, but that would require Anet to focus on balance a bit more or at least have to add a bit more to some specs... something I don’t think will happen outside of new elite specs.

2 hours ago, Clex Mix.7624 said:

I mean... you have a point.. and one could argue that chronomancers should be the only one’s to manipulate time, just like warriors are the only ones with banners, rangers the only ones that can spawn spirits....but... it was never introduced as a class specific buff but rather a boon.

Actually, it originally was a class-specific buff. It was only changed into a boon after a while (and one of the reason it got changes was so it could benefit from boon duration increases, and so it could be corrupted).

• Like 3

If anything another class needs Alacrity. I don't know why they gave it to another Mesmer subclass, effectively continuing the monopoly Mesmer and Revenant have on it.

By comparison we now have three group Quickness classes, all of different weights. So Alacrity should be given to a Medium too.

Oh no, I just had a thought of how to make Thieves wanted in groups..

Edited by Hannelore.8153

Boons are not themed but how they are applied are themed. If it was base off the boon them self only fire magic would get might only earth magic would get protection water magic for reg etc.. there a lot of skill that do not fit the theme of the boons them self but that not important a boon is just a boon what is important is how these boons are applied for the class theme.

6 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Actually, it originally was a class-specific buff. It was only changed into a boon after a while (and one of the reason it got changes was so it could benefit from boon duration increases, and so it could be corrupted).

Holy monkeys I forgot that!

1 hour ago, Hannelore.8153 said:

If anything another class needs Alacrity. I don't know why they gave it to another Mesmer subclass, effectively continuing the monopoly Mesmer and Revenant have on it.

By comparison we now have three group Quickness classes, all of different weights. So Alacrity should be given to a Medium too.

Oh no, I just had a thought of how to make Thieves wanted in groups..

Well what else would revenants get besides playing condi? None of their power set ups are competitive dmg.

13 minutes ago, Clex Mix.7624 said:

Well what else would revenants get besides playing condi? None of their power set ups are competitive dmg.

Just FYI Power renegade is ~ 37K now in PVE. It's just that condi benchmarks are higher (41k or so). Even alacrity renegade is ~30K now.

see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXb8KGTYlSU

Edited by Infusion.7149

1 minute ago, Infusion.7149 said:

Just FYI Power renegade is ~ 37K now in PVE. It's just that condi benchmarks are higher (41k or so). Even alacrity renegade is ~30K now.

see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXb8KGTYlSU

That is where the game is going every class doing about the same dps and about the same "healing" support but there going to be a lack of boons so the classes who have the "best" boons are going to be the only things used. Alacrity and quinkness are going to be the game changers for raids spvp and wvw for support.

Alacrity needs to be on more classes ad well as quickness and the theme of how they are applied is way more important then what they do. You could make the argument alacrity is time or a type of stimulate to be able able to use things sooner or even a type of studly where your hero is better at using these skills sooner because they know the skills better.

Quickness could be time, lighting reflectese, or the ability to know short cuts in casting.

There a lot of point of views what these boons come from because in real life we can make things faster in many ways with out using the ability to warp time.

7 minutes ago, Jski.6180 said:

That is where the game is going every class doing about the same dps and about the same "healing" support but there going to be a lack of boons so the classes who have the "best" boons are going to be the only things used. Alacrity and quinkness are going to be the game changers for raids spvp and wvw for support.

But they're not doing "the same dmg", the 37k is just power renegade, not alacrity renegade.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

14 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

But they're not doing "the same dmg", the 37k is just power renegade, not alacrity renegade.

I mean in the way your doing enofe dmg for the benchmark a min more then max. If a mob has 100 hp and you do 51 your still going to 2 shot it so its pointless to do any thing more then 50 so you can work on other things. That how i see dmg in this game and how every class will do the "same dmg" in time "healing" is the same way.

Edited by Jski.6180

1 minute ago, Jski.6180 said:

I mean in the way your doing enofe dmg for the benchmark a min more then max.

tbh I don't understand what this sentence is supposed to mean?

1 minute ago, Jski.6180 said:

If a mob has 100 hp and you do 51 your still going to 2 shot it so its pointless to do any thing more then 50 so you can work on other things.

In this case we're not even talking about "dps", just burst or literal 1-2 shotting of mobs, so I fail to see the relevance of this example.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Hannelore.8153 said:

It's even weirder when you realize they gave alacrity to the Mesmer's dps espec while at the same time continuing to keep nerfing the espec that was designed to be a support spec.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

tbh I don't understand what this sentence is supposed to mean?

In this case we're not even talking about "dps", just burst or literal 1-2 shotting of mobs, so I fail to see the relevance of this example.

That ppl feel they need to do the max dps that they can as a class with out thinking about any thing else. Ppl love thoughs big numbers.

Its an very simple min example and this is getting widely off topic now.

Back on topic: Think of boons as just a game example of making a person do something better. You just ate you may feel better and more able to do something boons are an just a video game version of that and due to balancing and standardization each boon will do the same thing as the same boon regardless who or what applied it. So Alacrity its a general cdr boon. This works on skill spells and i think passive traits.

We saw this boon get added in on chron the support variant of mez so time was always attached to it this is why it looks like a clock. Over time it was added to other classes and put with boon conversion so it was made more into a gen. boon effect. The same thing has happen to all boons in this game and its for the best.

Alacrity is the general cdr boon where might in the general power boon and protection is the general counter power boon etc.. there are many ways to apply these boons that is not related to there old ideal of there theme BUT they still hold a theme of how they are applied.

The best suggestion for adding in class only boons is to add in passive effects from classes like soothing mist a healing that act like reg but its not a true boon its an class effect. I personally would like to see a classes effect that makes a boon stronger but that boon dose not need to be from that player so you dont have ppl blocking stronger version of the  boons with weaker ones.

10 hours ago, Jski.6180 said:

That ppl feel they need to do the max dps that they can as a class with out thinking about any thing else. Ppl love thoughs big numbers.

Its an very simple min example and this is getting widely off topic now.

Back on topic: Think of boons as just a game example of making a person do something better. You just ate you may feel better and more able to do something boons are an just a video game version of that and due to balancing and standardization each boon will do the same thing as the same boon regardless who or what applied it. So Alacrity its a general cdr boon. This works on skill spells and i think passive traits.

We saw this boon get added in on chron the support variant of mez so time was always attached to it this is why it looks like a clock. Over time it was added to other classes and put with boon conversion so it was made more into a gen. boon effect. The same thing has happen to all boons in this game and its for the best.

Alacrity is the general cdr boon where might in the general power boon and protection is the general counter power boon etc.. there are many ways to apply these boons that is not related to there old ideal of there theme BUT they still hold a theme of how they are applied.

The best suggestion for adding in class only boons is to add in passive effects from classes like soothing mist a healing that act like reg but its not a true boon its an class effect. I personally would like to see a classes effect that makes a boon stronger but that boon dose not need to be from that player so you dont have ppl blocking stronger version of the  boons with weaker ones.

Revenant is all about pulling from the mists. The substance that "binds the universe together, past, present, and future." It's what fractals are made out of, and explains their time loop properties.

I'm not against it being added to another profession. But you don't need to destroy the temporal theme to do it. Just do something vaguely reality bending themed.

edit: Also not everything is pve. Certain classes (Ele, and Engie looking at you) should never be able to gain perma alacrity on their own. They have way too many skills with cooldowns for that to ever be balanced without severely nerfing their core abilities.

It should go to a class like thief or necro that benefits from alacrity but also has a resource system like initiative/life force stopping it from getting too crazy.

Edited by Daniel Handler.4816

I don't mind the icon. 

Taking away alacrity from other sources and only leaving chrono as alac source would be a really bad idea.

It would make double Chrono mandatory for raids, which would delete comp diversity to a certain extent.

That said, I hope that more classes get access to group alac and quickness with EoD  elite specs

Edited by Nimon.7840

11 hours ago, Daniel Handler.4816 said:

Revenant is all about pulling from the mists. The substance that "binds the universe together, past, present, and future." It's what fractals are made out of, and explains their time loop properties.

I'm not against it being added to another profession. But you don't need to destroy the temporal theme to do it. Just do something vaguely reality bending themed.

edit: Also not everything is pve. Certain classes (Ele, and Engie looking at you) should never be able to gain perma alacrity on their own. They have way too many skills with cooldowns for that to ever be balanced without severely nerfing their core abilities.

It should go to a class like thief or necro that benefits from alacrity but also has a resource system like initiative/life force stopping it from getting too crazy.

In a way necro has some alacrity though condi conversion but ya more classes maybe all classes should have some alacrity.

3 hours ago, Jski.6180 said:

In a way necro has some alacrity though condi conversion but ya more classes maybe all classes should have some alacrity.

They could add alacrity to kinetic battery from the tools trait line, would be a good thematical fit in my opinion.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Jski.6180 said:

No, all classes should not have some alacrity. There is no way to balance it for professions that have minimal resource mechanics and a huge number of skills.

Chronomancer's alacrity is gated by illusions, or standing still for several seconds. Mirage's/Revenant's is tied to endurance/energy. So either the enemy can stop you from benefiting or you run out of resources faster.  In contrast, Engineers/Scrappers/Elementalists have no resource mechanics. And while Holosmith has heat, there is no way to stop someone from gaining heat.  

Elementalists/Engineers also have double the number of skills (even more if you count out of combat build/equipment swapping) as Revenants/Mesmers. And alacrity reduces the trade-offs of their elite specializations. Just no.

If it is going to be given to a third spec it should be thief. They have the lowest number of skills. And while alacrity can boost their initiative generation somewhat, there is a much harder limit on how many skills they can use.

Edited by Daniel Handler.4816

6 hours ago, Infusion.7149 said:

Your bias is showing.

----

People need to stop suggesting even more powercreep.

I was actually just kidding, because the one suggesting that every class should get alacrity was complaining for days that scrapper got quickness, so I thought let's mess with him some more by suggesting that engineer also gets alacrity.

Not every class needs to have everything.

Having potent boons like quickness and alacrity just distributed between a group of chosen classes is fine.

Edited by Kodama.6453
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, Daniel Handler.4816 said:

No, all classes should not have some alacrity. There is no way to balance it for professions that have minimal resource mechanics and a huge number of skills.

Chronomancer's alacrity is gated by illusions, or standing still for several seconds. Mirage's/Revenant's is tied to endurance/energy. So either the enemy can stop you from benefiting or you run out of resources faster.  In contrast, Engineers/Scrappers/Elementalists have no resource mechanics. And while Holosmith has heat, there is no way to stop someone from gaining heat.  

Elementalists/Engineers also have double the number of skills (even more if you count out of combat build/equipment swapping) as Revenants/Mesmers. And alacrity reduces the trade-offs of their elite specializations. Just no.

If it is going to be given to a third spec it should be thief. They have the lowest number of skills. And while alacrity can boost their initiative generation somewhat, there is a much harder limit on how many skills they can use.

What about giving it to elite spec vs other elite spec?  It would let all classes get all boons with out having all classes having the same boons.

• Confused 2