HOTS had gliding. POF had mounts. What can EOD bring?

57 minutes ago, The Greyhawk.9107 said:

This is Not how to have a good faith discussion.

This person literally said that coming into a thread on a subject that you don't care about and arguing that it shouldn't happen because you don't care about it is trolling. What else is the takeaway there?

It's impossible to have a good faith discussion with someone who argues on the basis that something someone cares about isn't worthwhile because they don't care about the same thing. There's no way to have a respectful discussion when your entire stance is based on the dismissal of how others experience value. 

So yeah, the "housing isn't meaningful because you just sit around and look at furniture" is just as ludicrous as "raiding isn't meaningful because you just want to watch an hp bar go down" and "but it takes money" is an argument for Anet's accountants to have, not any of us who have exactly 0 numbers to discuss.  So all we're left with is our own personal subjective experiences with player expression mechanics. 

If you find value in housing, cool, post it.  If you don't, fine, post that, your personal experience. But let's not pretend that someone coming into a thread, incuriously stating that a subjective experience is bad and not worthwhile like it's objective fact, is really giving the discussion their empathetic all here.  If we want an actual good faith discussion, those who can't see the value in these systems could maybe ask those of us who do how we find them to be so worthwhile.  That way, you could at least understand our reasoning, and if you still disagree you could offer suggestions  of content already in the game that would satisfy those experiences we're requesting.  Instead of just going "upp, but you're not a large % of the playerbase, i've counted don't ask, so it's a bad idea that would definitely hurt the thing I like more."

I've seen this argument so so many times on so many different topics on so many different forums, and it always leads to a constructive conversation of a change or addition of a feature being spammed by low-effort posts of "lmao who cares"

In conclusion: Housing good.  Would buy a pretty sylvari house.  Would spend hundreds of hours meticulously placing everything.  Would probably wreck it with an absurd theme because I can't let go of a bit.  And apathy is like super boring.

Edited by Roda.7468
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Faline.8795 said:

Easy part first.  Yes to housing.  Long overdue, greatly needed.

Now, on to endgame, the bugagboo of Guild Wars 2.

I know some feel it is collecting different skins, and some high-end fractals.

But far too many people ask "What is the end game in Guild Wars 2?"

I've always struggled with that.

For me -- and this is just a personal opinion -- I'd like to see something to continually reach for.  Not ever-increasing gear since that is evil to people here.  But something to continue chasing.  Almost like skill points, but one that just keeps going.  But it can't make your character stronger.  Just something to brag about.

Maybe like Hero points, but you keep doing them, each time gets harder and harder.  "I have 500 Hero points".  "I have 600 Hero points".  Etc.

Something for the soloist to chase that doesn't have an end.

Don't mind people being negative about housing. This is same crowd which used to be against mounts back when players were asking for that feature.  Housing in every game is a very popular feature which brings in lot of money for companies. Just look at Elder Scrolls online for example.  

Edited by Mickey.4207
  • Like 9

Player housing (apart from what we already have) is pure ego-stroking, vanity and encourages hoarding. I can't imagine paying for a game where most of what i do ends-up in a crowded instance being of no actual use whatsoever. On the other hand, if i could dump stacks of elder wood/mithril etc into my home instance that would increase material storage space...

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

I've honestly never understood these requests for housing - ever. We already have a ton of personal instances that are never used. We have the home instance which for all intents and purposes IS housing. People only use that to mine nodes. We have Guild halls...which are used for? Er what? Assembling as a guild before doing 6 year old guild missions? We have other personal instances like the one in Jahai Bluffs, Sun's Refuge. How many more obselete instances would you like?

I mean yeah , lets kick raids, Fractals and all the other dead stuff even further into their graves for housing. Such a wise use of resources LOL

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Scoobaniec.9561 said:

Anyone against housing have never hear of Valheim.

Poe has some decent housing option too for a mmo and even sells custom special made maps.

People should play a dedicated housing game then, what you can do in the guild hall does not even come close to Valheim.

As I said earlier, the IBS suffered because of devs getting pulled to the next expack. Would you want the game to suffer even further because of something not relevant for as a main feature for the game?

No, housing should NEVER be a focus here, unlike mounts and gliding it does not offer player power.

Edited by LucianDK.8615
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, LucianDK.8615 said:

People should play a dedicated housing game then, what you can do in the guild hall does not even come close to Valheim.

As I said earlier, the IBS suffered because of devs getting pulled to the next expack. Would you want the game to suffer even further because of something not relevant for as a main feature for the game?

No, housing should NEVER be a focus here, unlike mounts and gliding it does not offer player power.

And popularity is nowhere close to Valheim either 😁

Its the same bs as it was with the mounts for years until they actually released it and now everyone be like "mount... good". Nobody said you cant attach some buffs to house instances either so theres your player power. At least very least housing should be done like in PoE.

They can even get money off it same way PoE does by selling special waypoint skins and map skins in the game. Endless possibilities.for them to make money off it.

Current "home instances" do not cut it. I cant choose where i want to place the stuff nor how environment look like or what npcs i got there. And for example charr instance looks like a utter joke for a home instance

• Like 3

Valheim's not an MMO, its a survival game.  The structures serve an actual purpose in keeping a player character alive and its quite different to design and build your own structure compared to just filling up a pre-built one with cash shop decorations.

I take umbrage with those of you that keep comparing those of us against or ambivalent (and yes, I am entirely ambivalent to the idea) to player housing as trolls or complainers that should be ignored. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Faline.8795 said:

For me -- and this is just a personal opinion -- I'd like to see something to continually reach for.  Not ever-increasing gear since that is evil to people here.  But something to continue chasing.  Almost like skill points, but one that just keeps going.  But it can't make your character stronger.  Just something to brag about.

Maybe like Hero points, but you keep doing them, each time gets harder and harder.  "I have 500 Hero points".  "I have 600 Hero points".  Etc.

We have that system, although it's called achievementpoints.

Personally I think there is already too much bragging going on. Everything and everyone sparkles and shines beyond recognition, tons of titles no one knows how they even got them, there is so much thrown at you that there isn't something reputative out there any more. Nowadays it's even more difficult NOT-to-shine since you cannot/can only partially equip your legendary accessoires and pretty much EVERYTHING turns into a flaming, sparkle, firework, flash disaster.

• Thanks 1

But far too many people ask "What is the end game in Guild Wars 2?"

I doubt this statement is true. Ther eis often confusion cause people tend to compare GW2 with other games. The word end game implies there is a difference between the content you can play when you start playing and when you progress to the end of the vertical progression.

In GW2 there is no vertical progression and there is no content out of reach when your reach a certain point.
This is confusing to people, but that doesn't mean that the wording you pick are not describing what you mean.

You are getting bored!
(I hope yo ucan agree with this statement).
There are three factors involved here.

The first is you. You are the one being bored. Often people play games to relax and get away from the daily life and struggles. You depend on it and you have a desire to be entertained.

The second factor is that GW2 is free to play., With the "other" games with vertical progression and ongoing entertainment. The company behind you want you to keep playing and want you to pay your monthly fee. GW2 has a different business model. It does not require you to play the game and they do not depend on keeping you entertained. This is not Hotel California. You can checkout any time and leave (and more important, you can come back)

The third factor is end of dragons. They are working on an expansion. Most resources go into that .This means there is not much refreshing content released right now..

My advice to you is to log out and look elsewhere for a while. maybe come back every day for the daily login rewards and keep in touch, but stop depending on this game to be entertained. When EoD releases there will be a ton of new things to do and experience and some time later, it is likely a new living world seasons starts, hopefully with more attention from Arenanet and more quality content.

• Like 2

I mean,

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Achievement

The vast majority of the player base will never get remotely close to completing even half the things there.

Many players you see doing endgame stuff aren't even close to 366/366 mastery points, either (though that's something you can "speedrun" by aggressively doing stuff off the achievement checklists).

The game has tons of optional endgame goals that take forever to fulfill (try maxing out all your various Fractal buffs, for example — it's a lot of work).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Scoobaniec.9561 said:

And popularity is nowhere close to Valheim either 😁

Nobody said you cant attach some buffs to house instances either so theres your player power. At least very least housing should be done like in PoE.

1. Valhiem peaked in late February/Early March and has already lost more than 80% of that audience. They've gone from peak concurrency just shy of a half million to less than 80k over the last 24 hours... on the weekend. Valheim is not doing very well at all.
Source: Steam Charts

2.Power provided by a player housing system would contain two versions: the little buffs you could gain via achievements and the serious OP buffs sold in the cash shop.

Source: Every other housing system in a non-subscription MMO ever.
This game already crosses the Pay to Win line with Player Housing features such as the Black Lion boards that, once purchased in the Gem Store, just mail you loot every day.

Positioning this type of nonsense as a win/benefit for the player in the long run isn't solid thinking.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, Roda.7468 said:

It's impossible to have a good faith discussion with someone who argues on the basis that something someone cares about isn't worthwhile because they don't care about the same thing.

10 hours ago, Roda.7468 said:

So yeah, the "housing isn't meaningful because you just sit around and look at furniture" is just as ludicrous

It really isn't.

Also not sure about the others, but my stance about this isn't that "we definitely can't/shouldn't/won't have it". It's rather the fact that people like OP or you(?) try to claim it's "long overdue" and "greatly needed". It's NEITHER of those things. It's a pretty limited vanity element of the game that's kind of partially fulfilled by the mix of home instance +guild hall. You are definitely free to claim you like/want it, but claims that IT'S SO NEEDED FOR TEH GAME! are just false. Far from needed. Far from meaningful.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 1
  • Confused 4

10 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

It really isn't.

Also not sure about the others, but my stance about this isn't that "we definitely can't/shouldn't/won't have it". It's rather the fact that people like OP or you(?) try to claim it's "long overdue" and "greatly needed". It's NEITHER of those things. It's a pretty limited vanity element of the game that's kind of partially fulfilled by the mix of home instance +guild hall. You are definitely free to claim you like/want it, but claims that IT'S SO NEEDED FOR TEH GAME! are just false. Far from needed. Far from meaningful.

Like raids apparently.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

Housing is a fine idea.  It might not be what a lot of players enjoy as it is not directly related to combat, but it is can be an extension of Fashion Wars.  I doubt I would actively engage with housing but, I may. 

My big concern would be if Housing felt 'required' in some capacity.  For example, I get some form of combat or utility boost for having my housing configured with specific items.  Forcing me to use housing for in game benefit takes away from the Fashion and makes housing a Utility.

The concept that Housing is a waste of Dev resources is nonsense.  It might look like a waste of time for players who do not care for the theoretical release of GW2 Housing, but it cannot be ignored that housing has been a player draw and revenue winner for many games.  Rather than looking at the failure of other games as to why GW2 shouldn't, perhaps consider what GW2 could do better than other games to make Housing the best it could be?

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, Nightcore.5621 said:

Bein in privat instance sittin on a chair or what ever u do.. Why not just play Sims i don't get it... 

How familiar are you with the Sims franchise? Sims 2 is too old to be run decently and everything that came after is not worth the money or time.

I'm fairly neutral towards housing in MMOs, depends on the implementation, I guess. 

As for increasing numbers, OP: Achievements, very much available since core and some people actually put some meaning to the numbers, so for some part of the community this works fine as a way to show off. 

I do hope for new masteries, though, specifically some that are meaningful, like with the last expacs. 

There already is tons of replayable content in the game - and even if you focus only on PvE (not doing PvW, WvW) ... there might be a ton of people that have not unlocked all the stuff unlockable by playing. (Legendaries take some time. And then some grindier/harder achievements.)

Of course more of the similar content - is nice. But I do not see how other suff should be "unending" compared to the stuff we have now? (Unless they really keep producing new content endlessly.

Housing seems not too interesting. Unless there is a lot of freedom to it. But other mini games would be more interesting. (Though there are "activities".) I would love to see some kind of trading card game ingame lol. (Which also cout get ported standalone to mobile.) With achievements for unique account bound cards.

Housing I guess ... I would not care that much. Since it would be instanced (no other way to implement it without taking up too many resources) - and I do not socialize that much ingame - asides from the occasional encounters with other players when doing open world content or some fractals.

On 5/2/2021 at 2:55 AM, Alin.2468 said:

Unending content: PvP. But real PvP, like new mechanics, new maps, GvG, battlegrounds, and so on. Sadly this game is not about PvP, instead is just a farming soloQ for bots as people voted in 2016.

If you want PvP play and FPS. PvP in a MMO is never a good idea.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1