HOTS had gliding. POF had mounts. What can EOD bring?

19 minutes ago, Dreamy Lu.3865 said:

I don't believe it's a realistic possibility, but well, if we start with dreams... A new profession, like for example the Cantha ritualist from GW1 or the assassin from GW1. Both professions had been added with Cantha back those times. The assassin was so great, with this concept of skills in chain that I have never seen anywhere since then.. And the ritualist with the ghosts... sigh... 😑

Sadly both have been integrated into classes, thief is pretty much assassin, and Revenants are ritualistish albeit fairly different but both called on the spirits from the mists to buff themselves and allies.

1 hour ago, Raffrey.5271 said:

Not from gw1 not exactly sure what a companion means, but I wish companion in gw2 would be a thing.

Like, aside from the normal "Commander" characters, expand our accounts with companion character slots. Allow us to create, train, and gear our companions. Even better if the companions are of the lesser races of Tyria, such as skritt, hylek, quaggan, etc.

Some bonus QoL stuff would be like your companion spontaneously harvest nodes within ~900 range in radius.

edit: you know, we create the companion, and they have their starter zones and story line that ultimately ends up meeting the commander oooooooo i'd LOVE IT!

edit 2: nah i know, not gonna happen

Yea, not gonna happen, but I still wholeheartedly love the idea.
Unlocking these companions or their introduction mission through mastery and letting them have those movement skills would be awesome! For example a skritt archeologist with a grappling hook (Yes, that obvious!) and once you've unlocked and trained him you, the commander, can use the grapplink hook too. I want it! 😫

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Malitias.8453 said:

Climbing, a grappling hook (swing like tarzan maybe?), shrinking to squeeze through hidden little holes and so on.

Those sound like masteries more than real features. The grappling hook is pretty much covered by the Maguma Mushrooms, too.

I don't actually know what I'd like them to add. I think another movement option seems unlikely, at least as one of the big selling points because I think they've got that pretty well covered. There are options they could add like a mount that can carry other players too, or maybe a 'tank' type mount - like a dolyak or something which is relatively slow but very durable. (Cantha had siege turtles, so maybe one of those...except they were huge.) But I can't see that being the thing they use to say "As well as the new map, story and elite specs End of Dragons has this!" as one of the selling points of the expansion.

I think some more non-combat activities might be nice. Apart from new crafting levels allowing us to make more variations on basically the same things we haven't really had much added that isn't combat related. It would be nice to have some 'down time' activities besides gathering materials and things like the HoT treasure maps and diving chests.

Fishing seems like the popular one there but I've never been a big fan of fishing in games. At best it's a tolerable mini game to do until I've got the rewards I want and then never again, at worst it's so boring I decide I'd rather not bother. Maybe if they could make it more like a mini game where you actually have to do something instead of just pushing a button to cast a line and then waiting to push it again to be told what you've caught, but also make it something you can do in almost any body of water instead of just in a designated fishing area that might be ok.

7 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

IMO, sadly this.  For me, housing will be when GW2 jumps the shark.

What's wrong with housing? It's not one I'm hoping for but I don't think there's anything wrong with it.

Although it's a pretty broad term with a lot of room for interpretation. 'Housing' in an MMO could mean anything from an interior space you get to decorate with purely cosmetic furnishings to building up your own mini town with NPCs, services etc. or actually constructing buildings out in the world (although I think that one is highly unlikely in GW2) or a combination of things.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Danikat.8537 said:

What's wrong with housing? It's not one I'm hoping for but I don't think there's anything wrong with it.

IMO, housing doesn't add anything to the game.  I prefer actual game-play content rather than house building.  If I wanted to build houses, then I would play a different game.

We have enough complaints about maps being dead.  If players flock to housing, maps will become even less populated.

Again, my opinion.  I would very much prefer that the developers spend their resources on actual game-play content.  To each their own.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

I hope housing is not the big thing if there will be any. It should be an upgrade to the current systems, enhancing of combat, proffesions and builds, pvp modes and maps, story, maps, instances... 

Not some additional sims mode that has nothing to do with the game. We already have personal instances and guild halls. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

33 minutes ago, Aodlop.1907 said:

Those sound like masteries more than real features. The grappling hook is pretty much covered by the Maguma Mushrooms, too.

True, they're very similar in function if it's like the zelda one.
Maybe more like the ninja rope in worms. If the hook just requires a ceiling to attach itself to, it's very different. And I love the ninja rope in worms.

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, Aodlop.1907 said:

HOTS had gliding. POF had mounts. What can EOD bring?

Let's hear your speculations. 

HoT introduced a lot more map-travel-skills than just gliding. The core idea was, that the HoT/PoF masteries give the players metroidvania skills that are needed to explore/travel in maps that are build for these skills..

Also the season 5 / Icebrood Saga followed this concept and gave some map travel skills (Raven locks/barriers/gates, Portable Waystation, etc.).

So, what fun skills remain for new and fun ways/skill for travel maps in maps that are designed to require these skills?

Maybe we see more and better use of vehicles (we have some basic motor bikes, tanks, boats, airships already in the game).

Maybe we see more and bettter underwater movement (we got the underwater swimspeed infusions and the underwater skimmer skill some time ago).

Maybe something else.

I am not sure what we will get but I am pretty sure the main skills in the EoD-masteries will be how we travel and move on EoD-maps.

Edited by Zok.4956

6 hours ago, Raffrey.5271 said:

Not from gw1 not exactly sure what a companion means, but I wish companion in gw2 would be a thing.

Like, aside from the normal "Commander" characters, expand our accounts with companion character slots. Allow us to create, train, and gear our companions. Even better if the companions are of the lesser races of Tyria, such as skritt, hylek, quaggan, etc.

Some bonus QoL stuff would be like your companion spontaneously harvest nodes within ~900 range in radius.

edit: you know, we create the companion, and they have their starter zones and story line that ultimately ends up meeting the commander oooooooo i'd LOVE IT!

edit 2: nah i know, not gonna happen

This is honestly the best suggestion for EoD that I've seen anywhere. I really hope we get something like this.

• Like 2

If we get housing in GW2 I'll take it, but I won't be disappointed if we never get it. I already get my housing fix from certain other games, and when I'm in a more adventurous mood I'll play GW2. The more fun the adventuring in GW2 can be, the better. So I'd like to see additions to that side of things, rather than have housing.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

IMO, housing doesn't add anything to the game.  I prefer actual game-play content rather than house building.  If I wanted to build houses, then I would play a different game.

We have enough complaints about maps being dead.  If players flock to housing, maps will become even less populated.

Again, my opinion.  I would very much prefer that the developers spend their resources on actual game-play content.  To each their own.

That's a fair point. Although there are ways to tie the two together. For example in Elder Scrolls Online a lot of the more interesting furnishings come from completing achievements and even the stuff which can be crafted requires collecting recipies which come from specific parts of the game, so it adds an incentive for some people to go back over content they may have already completed.

Whatever it is I agree they need to tie it into the wider game. One of the reasons I think gliding and mounts work so well is that it's something you can use while doing other things rather than a seperate stand-alone system you might use occasionally and then forget about at other times. (Compare those two with other new things HoT brought like the other masteries or adventures.)

1 hour ago, SweetPotato.7456 said:

Every maps ever release in the game can be a WvW map. 

I like the idea of more WvW maps but I don't think that would work well, a lot of them would be hugely unbalanced because the layout and terrain wasn't designed with WvW in mind. Even without gliding you'd be very likely to get problems like places where the elevation means it's possible to place a catapault inside one keep or tower and use it to attack another in complete safety, not to mention lots of areas which would either be far too open and impossible to defend or too narrow with only one approach that make them far too easy to hold forever.

The right housing system would transform the game, but Tyria's version would have to be unique.

I am hoping for a system that combines private housing with public zone improvements and public settlements. The public zone improvements and settlements would be upgraded similarly to community events. Voting on a selection of upgrades is also possible. Everything would be connected by NPCs.

• Like 2

The more gameplay changing thing we could get, that i can think of, would be Companions/Heroes, just like Mounts and Gliders they would change the way we play the entire game, not just the expansion, if they are available on old maps of course.

Housing and fishing is kinda cool yeah, but it's not that game changing, player housing is not going to change the way you do Octovine and stuff like that lol, but it would be cool, choosing in witch map you want your house to be, if it is available on all open world maps.

Buuuuut, not every expansion feature need to be "game changing" tbh.

Inb4 ESO players say we are copying them if we get Companions lel.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, hash.8462 said:

Yup, pouring acid rain on enemies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZbxbEnKwH0

What about mounted combat?

why the heck would I want clumsy movement during combat?

while gw2 mounts are animated better than some in other games their movement is still very clumsy. I think that question only considered the aesthetics and not the actual experience.

• Like 1