Skritt Hot & Cooler Than Cool Achievements

Zola.6197

I am having difficulty completing these achievements. I've probably played through Dragonstorm upwards of 20 times at this point, and it's hard to even get in position for the AoE circles -- let alone time the dodges.

Most of the time Braham is far away from the Apocalypse Rain AoEs (which I assume is when Primordus cronches on the boulders and the bits go flying in random directions), so I can't even get to the AoE in time to attempt a dodge. If I am able to get there, I have to angle my camera up to try to follow the projectile and try to dodge just before it hits. I always seem to get hit by the boulder even when it appears I shouldn't.

I've got 8/25 times completed for Skritt Hot and 3/25 for Cooler Than Cool. I genuinely think those have only happened as a fluke because every time I try to do it intentionally I can't seem to pull it off.

Maybe I'm just bad, but I am curious if anyone else is experiencing similar issues?

The window to dodge feels very very short to the point that it seems ridiculous. It might help if the AoEs had an expanding timer on them to denote more clearly when they are about to impact, similar to many of Braham or Ryland's AoEs... Also the way it is now, aiming to get these achievements encourages players to stay away from Braham and Ryland so they can get in these AoEs which feels a bit counterintuitive to the forward movement of the meta.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Zola.6197 said:

Most of the time Braham is far away from the Apocalypse Rain AoEs (which I assume is when Primordus cronches on the boulders and the bits go flying in random directions), so I can't even get to the AoE in time to attempt a dodge. If I am able to get there, I have to angle my camera up to try to follow the projectile and try to dodge just before it hits. I always seem to get hit by the boulder even when it appears I shouldn't.

There are orange circles on the ground to indicate where they will land. It’s fairly easy to anticipate where the circles will be and to get or them in time to dodge. 

For the attack at Ryland, it’s the wave or whatever that’s moving away from Jormag which you want to dodge. 

Cooler Than Cool Achievement - Use your Skimmer to run towards Jormag's attack while pressing (hold) Spacebar (Skimmer Hovers) and if you time it right, you'll get 5 dodges per attack. 

Skritt Hot - If you plan on doing this achievement, don't bother attacking Braham as you'll be in combat and unable to run to the AOE circles (slowed). Look for AoE's that throws bolder (they usually land on the same spot, just a little closer to each other every attack of Primo. Stand on the AoE as soon as it pops then count 3 secs, dodge. Hope this helps!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 6

I use Primordu's other attack to get skritt hot. The one when Primordus smashes a boulder into the ground. It sends out fissures through the entire half of the battlefield, However the fissures themselves do no damage, they create delayed aoe circles that you have to dodge through when the circle fills in.

• Like 1

For the Jormag one, when you see the AOE indicator, stand inside it and face the character toward the incoming attack. The moment your character takes the first hit (which indicates the attack), dodge roll. Your character will dodge along the path of the attack and you can easily get 2+ credits per dodge. Do another dodge immediately after, and you’ll likely have 5+ credits from a single breath attack. Daredevil has 3 dodges and may get even more, but I haven’t tried it.

For the Primordus one, use a ranged weapon and keep an eye on Prim at all times. Save speed boosts and movement skills and use them to get inside the damage circles.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, BlueJin.4127 said:

Do another dodge immediately after, and you’ll likely have 5+ credits from a single breath attack. Daredevil has 3 dodges and may get even more, but I haven’t tried it.

Daredevil can do it in two or three times using dagger tempest elite + the 3 dodges.

Edited by Ylthan.1693

Don't do it in the Public event.

Do it in the Story instance solo. Don't attack Braham or Ryland. The NPCS hit them and will over time wear them down so that you progress to the next phase, but their hits take time.

You can then take your time standing in the Dragon breath rectangle and dodge when the breath is just in front of you. With Primordus stand roughly in the centre of the valley and as soon as you see the small orange circles appear get onto one and dodge just as the lava rock lands on it.

If it gets to the stage where Aurene is about to drag everyone out of the fight, just F12 to character select and restart the Story part again.

You can also do the killing the leyline coalescences achievment this way since they constantly spawn and also get two hits on both dragons as well for that achievment (think it needs 30 in total)

Edited by Andy.5981
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 10

2 hours ago, Andy.5981 said:

Do it in the Story instance solo.

I echo this advice. The enemies hit a lot softer in the Story Instance, and without any other players around it won't be quite so laggy so it'll be easier to spot the AoE circles and dodge at the right time.

The only Dragonstorm achieves that can't be done in the Story Instance are the CC ones, since Braham and Ryland do not use their CC elite skills in Story. You can also do the Coalescences in Story, but they are scaled up for some odd reason so it may take you quite some time to kill them. I found it much easier to just pull them into the Siphons and let the zerg damage kill them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...

Question regarding the advice to do it in story mode: Can you do it in such a way that you just go in and get the achievement done and ignore everything else and then just leave and not bother finishing the story ("Thanks for the 'chieve, good luck all y'all!"), leaving the NPCs to fend for themselves until the holodeck vaporizes them all?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 months later...
On 6/13/2021 at 1:17 PM, notebene.3190 said:

Question regarding the advice to do it in story mode: Can you do it in such a way that you just go in and get the achievement done and ignore everything else and then just leave and not bother finishing the story ("Thanks for the 'chieve, good luck all y'all!"), leaving the NPCs to fend for themselves until the holodeck vaporizes them all?

So glad I found this thread- the story mode advice was so helpful. I went from only 2 dodge credits across like 6 public events to finishing this in one go with story mode. To answer the question on how to get to this story for achieves since it isn’t a purple star on the map like other story replays- you just need to talk to Brek in EOTN same as when you enter the public story. If you have the champions story episode on, he has the option to enter story mode for achievements. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

• 11 months later...
On 5/27/2021 at 9:24 PM, Andy.5981 said:

Do it in the Story instance solo. Don't attack Braham or Ryland. The NPCS hit them and will over time wear them down so that you progress to the next phase, but their hits take time.

You can then take your time standing in the Dragon breath rectangle and dodge when the breath is just in front of you. With Primordus stand roughly in the centre of the valley and as soon as you see the small orange circles appear get onto one and dodge just as the lava rock lands on it.

If it gets to the stage where Aurene is about to drag everyone out of the fight, just F12 to character select and restart the Story part again.

You can also do the killing the leyline coalescences achievment this way since they constantly spawn and also get two hits on both dragons as well for that achievment (think it needs 30 in total)

This is genius, thank you so much!

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...
On 6/16/2021 at 9:27 AM, SexyMofo.8923 said:

Dodge earlier than you think you need to. 

Very late to the party, but - I found that I could also often get credit by dodging into an attack. Quite useful when one of Primordius's circles spawned a little further away than I might have wishes. (And definitely keep dodging if you have the energy, because you'll often get multiple awards from the one attack.)

(Like others have said - definitely do this in a private instance. On my most recent account I cleared both achievements, start to finish, in the same single pass.)

Edited by Doghouse.1562
  • Thanks 1