A bit pissed at Devs

9 minutes ago, Buzzbugs.1236 said:

It's the same thing. If I've payed for a service, then it's mine for the time I've paid for. It's no different than when you rent a movie or pay your rent. If I pay a subscription then the product is mine so long as my contract isn't broken. Etc..

Well, when you rent a house/movie/car, you don't own it... so you have no rights to modify them without the owner's permission.

Same for GW2, we pay to play the game (unless free account), we are not buying any parts of ANet. ANet is GW2's owner. The game is ANet's, not ours.

Actually, only the access to the game is ours : we are free to play it whenever we like, and to stop playing it whenever we like. GW2 would be (partly) ours if we had invested into some ANet shares in stock market.

Now the OP's problem is that he doesn't like the balance patch. As a customer, he can show his disappointment by not buying gems anymore, or not playing GW2 anymore, or making bad reviews on social medias. The same way he would stop renting a car from a specific company and write a bad google review if he was not satisfied by their service.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Buzzbugs.1236 said:

Well, if all of what you are saying is true then I must say, that really devalues the product in my eyes. Why even keep playing this game for 8 years now? The only reason I still play because the time I've invested. But if this is just a cheap "service game" then honestly that's pretty depressing. How can I keep playing a game, knowing that they could take it away from all of us at any time and we lost everything we paid for and spent time on.

Well ... it's been this way for almost every MMO I've played as far back as I can remember. This isn't a thing that's unique to GW2. 

I mean ... I don't see how this affects anyone's decision to play a game or not but you be you I guess. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 6

Just now, Buzzbugs.1236 said:

When you buy a product, it's yours. I paid for GW2, and more than once. I consider GW2 "Mine". But it is all of ours, collectively.

I'm sorry that you're looking at the world through the pink glasses. Faster you understand that real world and rainbow valleys with white unicorns we want to see around are two completely opposite things, the easier your life will be.

No, the product is not yours even if you paid for that. As well as Windows  OS. As well as many subscriptions and accounts you have access to. Read the license agreements at least once to understand that your statements are not true. Your account can be terminated any time with no reason - that's a part of license agreement too (and pretty common I'd say, not only in GW2).

Did I mention before that human society is still immature? Life is not TikTok memes, wake up. Even GW2 teach you to "Act with wisdom, but act" instead of talking on forums and thinking you can really change something by doing that. I'm sure there are ANet employees who really love this universe and want to make it better. But you should think in a larger scale. No one owes you anything: if you're weak - you'll be eaten and consumed. If you are strong and smart, you will be able to outplay others.

I know my post is a little bit out of topic, so I'd recommend to stop discussing license details here. If @Buzzbugs.1236 wants to clarify license and ownership details, I think it's a really good idea to open another thread specifically for this question. It's a good thing because others would understand how it works.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Buzzbugs.1236 said:

Well, if all of what you are saying is true then I must say, that really devalues the product in my eyes. Why even keep playing this game for 8 years now? The only reason I still play because the time I've invested. But if this is just a cheap "service game" then honestly that's pretty depressing. How can I keep playing a game, knowing that they could take it away from all of us at any time and we lost everything we paid for and spent time on.

If it makes you feel any better, practically all MMO's operate this way. And honestly, Anet has some of the fairest Terms of Service out there. The only way I can see your account service getting revoked is if you're doing something illegal (gold selling, botting, hacking, etc).

Other than that, most people are usually fine.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wuffy.9732 said:

hehe, imagine how the people who still play Guild Wars 1 players must feel.

Don't mistake me, i played GW2 since 2013, i mainly played elem and mesmer (RIP both), stopped for some years, came back with a new account this year. I did put lots of hours into the game, and I still do enjoy it, even after some big nerfs.

But I just consider it as a hobby, I am not deeply emotion-involved into the game. That's why I put the minimum of money into it, so that I have no bittersalty taste in my mouth when something doesn't fit me.

I try to apply that to everything about the game. When I go fract T4/CMs/WvW, I don't expect anything from PUGs, so I am rarely disappointed.

52 minutes ago, Buzzbugs.1236 said:

It's the same thing. If I've payed for a service, then it's mine for the time I've paid for.

You're so wrong in this thread that it's not even funny. Throwing out any other arguments you're not willing to accept anyways, the mere fact that you can be permanently banned literally any time (and it's perfectly legal to do) proves your ideas of "this is our game", "I can do what I want because I paid for it" and "it's mine for the time I've paid for" [also includes subscription based games -SHOCKER, I know] to be ultimately wrong. The only thing you've paid for is access IF you behave like the actual owners of the game want you to behave. Not even the client itself, because you can download it for free, lmao.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Rasimir.6239 said:

Are they standing in the same spot? Same traits? Same consumables? Same buffs and debuffs? Do you have a screenshot of whatever difference you think you saw?

This.

Did one have a Revenant walk by at the moment "H" was pressed?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Buzzbugs.1236 said:

You really should read the User Agreement so that you can better articulate your point.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Buzzbugs.1236 said:

Following this logic you'll have to terminate any accounts you have elsewhere (social networks, game services and so on) and, surprise-surprise, even stop using Windows OS. Welcome to the real world, please follow me.

Edited by Rihar.3465
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Rihar.3465 said:

Following this logic you'll have to terminate any accounts you have elsewhere (social networks, game services and so on) and, surprise-surprise, even stop using Windows OS. Welcome to the real world, please follow me.

You are so intelligent!

Edited by Buzzbugs.1236
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

Well i think the old way which was new at the time of going subless could come to an end. Guild wars franchise might revert to a sub or "plus" program if they want to move forward in the future and scrap gw2 and make gw3. Sort of like what ESO is doing though i h8 the inventory wars of that game, but it's one way to get more cash flow if anet needs that.

Also the fact that we can grind gold ingame to buy gems is great! but if anet has money concerns another option to add to gw2 would be to make a new currency only purchasable with real life money and stick the rare purdy shinies behind that. Then having a sub might give a certain amount of free "new currency" a month to spend on things however you like.

making a mandatory sub though you're going to wipe away a large percentage of your casual player base.

Edited by Kelly.7019

8 hours ago, Buzzbugs.1236 said:

Erm. No. We are the customers, it's "Our" game. If they produce a game that we don't want, guess who doesn't get paid?

You purchased a licence as a way to enjoy the developer's game (same as with literally any video game, physical or otherwise).

Same with any other software, really. You are paying to enjoy the developer's vision of X (in this case, an MMO). With photoshop, you are purchasing a licence to use the developer's vision of photo editing software. With Windows, you are purchasing a licence to use the developer's vision of an OS.

No, it isn't the player's game. It isn't the user's software. It is very much the developer's.

Would you purchase a piece of art then go and whine to the artist that the colour aren't to your liking? Would you purchase chicken noodles from a restaurant then whine that you don't like chicken? Would you write to Activision and complain that Call of Duty isn't a story-based RPG?

(on second thought, don't answer that. You wrote this statement down - so you very well be the type to do that)

My rule of thumb for ownership is the following: If I had the means and knowledge, could I legally make any extensive changes to this? If no, I do not own it. If yes, I do own it.

Another rule of thumb is: Can I legally sell this? If no, I do not own it. If yes, I do own it.

GW2 happens to allow neither.

Edited by Aplethoraof.2643
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

GOOD GRIEF Charlie Brown !!!!!!!!

The point of my original post was so entirely missed !!

Every balance patch change in the history of the game is primarily because a certain group of players whined loud enough & often enough. At first Anet just screwed up royal cuz everything was a GAME WIDE nerf ===> Now, at least it's a per game mode change.

Here's what "THEY" fail to understand ..... most melee skill times are roughly half that of a caster, but when you add in a players ping in my case best I can ever hope for is 750ms + cast time.. Players are USUALLY intelligent enough to figure what works for them based on environmental variables they deal with on a daily basis. When they find something that works they tend to stay with it.

On no less 4 different occasions I managed to figure our a ranged caster build that would viably work for me in PVE and very occasionally in WvW. considering my environmental factors. Now ... I barley manage to survive in PVE and don't even talk about WvW. I'm usually dead before I get my 2nd skill to activate. My point was STOP changing the game based on whiners or DEV's personal play style.

Yes .... I bought the game
Yes ..... I realize games add new content
Yes.....I have proof of different races /same profession /same armor/same trinkets /same build / same consumables = ending up with entirely different numbers... and no I'm not going to GIVE ANET a reason to take action against my account for proving my point with pictures. That's for you yourself to check out it's easy enough to do with cheap exotic gear.

Just stop screwing with the game basics to force a play style that suits the DEV's & the PvP whiners.

Just my 2 cents

• Confused 3

6 minutes ago, MSJ.8760 said:

Yes.....I have proof of different races /same profession /same armor/same trinkets /same build / same consumables = ending up with entirely different numbers... and no I'm not going to GIVE ANET a reason to take action against my account for proving my point with pictures.

Since such a thing is going to be a bug, and not intentional, you can safely post your pictures. Unless you don't have such pictures.

That's for you yourself to check out it's easy enough to do with cheap exotic gear.

I have many characters of different races, using the same berserker or viper gear. There is no difference in stats, so try again.

• Like 5

50 minutes ago, MSJ.8760 said:

Yes.....I have proof of different races /same profession /same armor/same trinkets /same build / same consumables = ending up with entirely different numbers... and no I'm not going to GIVE ANET a reason to take action against my account for proving my point with pictures. That's for you yourself to check out it's easy enough to do with cheap exotic gear.

If it's true, it's unintended bug which should be fixed as soon as possible. In GW2 race is a purely cosmetic things and does not affect any stats. I support others and would like ask you to provide proofs, because currently is quite a serious statement without any proofs.

• Like 2