Reason to quit this game - griefing [MERGED]

Maybe it's me, but i'm starting to not have any fun playing this game with the griefing that has picked up in the last year.  Consistent day in and day out portal griefing at Drakkar (portals killing ppl all the time) made me quit the drakkar meta for several months.  Then, it's creeped into portal bombing meta chests/loot (TD, skritt queen, etc.).  some of the griefing is not new, just more variety now. Not to mention the personal merchant griefing on chests/loot.  Anet should have made the personal stuff no else can use in such a way that no one else can even interact with it. It's gotten to the point you wait 10-15 sec by default for the portal stuff to stop even if they isn\t any cause you don't know in the meta crowd.

I see portal bombing almost on a daily basis, and i don't want to have to start changing times to do events to satisfy someone else's troll fun.  I know the devs lock/remove posts about griefing/trolling, but to some point i'm not caring anymore, that's how much it's getting to me and my thought of quitting.    

Portals (imo) should be removed from the game or limited to people in squad/party to use (preserves use in wvw/pvp and help at jps, where they have some use).  (If limited to squad/party, just don't join them in open world pve to avoid trolling.)

Update:  Yes, i could have added more to post about trying to click on chest/node/whatever, and yes i can 'sometimes' hear the portal sound, other times its mixed in with other sounds of the game too, and that leads to the waiting until the portal sound/interact going away, or trying to find the chest among the crowd of people there or just again wait until everyone is gone.  So, i have to wait to not get griefed is the best solution overall, ugh.

Edited by Kilroy was Here.9418
update
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6
  • Confused 2

I don't know that it's worth quitting the game over, but I agree that it has picked up noticeably. In terms of solutions, letting us enable/disable portals, novelties, and interactables of other players might be a tidy way of resolving most of the issue without burdening the devs with reports, but it's anyone's guess whether ArenaNet's interested in rehauling any of that at this time.

In the meantime, manually target chests, be leery of portals, and let the zerg run a few steps ahead so that most interferences wear off/become more visible by the time you approach your loot. It's annoying to have to do things like that, but that's just the reality of how things are at the moment.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Veprovina.4876 said:

That's what you get by giving everyone portals Anet!

Mesmers (with a few exceptions) at least used ours constructively.

At the very least, there were less portals capable people per meta for this to be a problem.

Portals for Mesmers only!

Mesmers have been misusing their portals for as long as they have had them too. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Kilroy was Here.9418 said:

Maybe it's me, but i'm starting to not have any fun playing this game with the griefing that has picked up in the last year.  Consistent day in and day out portal griefing at Drakkar (portals killing ppl all the time) made me quit the drakkar meta for several months.  Then, it's creeped into portal bombing meta chests/loot (TD, skritt queen, etc.).  some of the griefing is not new, just more variety now. Not to mention the personal merchant griefing on chests/loot.  Anet should have made the personal stuff no else can use in such a way that no one else can even interact with it. It's gotten to the point you wait 10-15 sec by default for the portal stuff to stop even if they isn\t any cause you don't know in the meta crowd.

I see portal bombing almost on a daily basis, and i don't want to have to start changing times to do events to satisfy someone else's troll fun.  I know the devs lock/remove posts about griefing/trolling, but to some point i'm not caring anymore, that's how much it's getting to me and my thought of quitting.    

Portals (imo) should be removed from the game or limited to people in squad/party to use (preserves use in wvw/pvp and help at jps, where they have some use).  (If limited to squad/party, just don't join them in open world pve to avoid trolling.)

Left click on the chest you want to loot before pressing f and portals stop being an issue. (and you don't need to constantly do that, because you can see/hear the portals when they're up...)

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

29 minutes ago, Ashen.2907 said:

1 hour ago, Veprovina.4876 said:

At the very least, there were less portals capable people per meta for this to be a problem.

Yeah, but the volume was lower.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ashen.2907 said:

Yes, but in the past i have only run into troll portals only a few times per year, but in the last year starting with Drakkar meta, it seems like its everyday.  I don't want to name names, but there appears to be a dedicated group of griefers that has been a lot of places in the past year (Drakkar, Teq, Dry Top, TD, etc.).

• Like 4

It isn't hard to avoid the trolling but it's still annoying as kitten, and not everyone is paying attention all the time or is even aware, hence the trolls find reason to keep grieving. Personally I wouldn't allow portals for JPs either but I get it, some people just can't do them for many reasons and it's nice to have a profession skill that helps others - so I was wondering if devs could implement a range restriction for portals which would forbid them to be placed on chests or even adjacent to them.

I agree about the NPCs we can't interact with as well but that is just bad, lazy design, kinda like the Champions MPs that are marked on Core maps while not really being there but in instanced versions of slices of those maps... bad design - at the very least the tooltip would inform the player that is part of specific content (which is also DLC) and so on... but that's going off-topic.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I haven't really noticed an increase in this issue. It feels about as frequent as it always has. I never suffer from this issue because keeping an eye out for portals has just become second nature to me. I only use portals from people I game with or in specific situations like hero point trains. You don't have to use them just because they're there and I have no problem avoiding them despite running the game on it's lowest settings.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, Kilroy was Here.9418 said:

So basically you think they should be removed from the game for misuse but allowances should be made to cheat you through a JP.

10/10 Forum Logic

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

K BYE!

If you are leaving anyways, then what you think should happen isn't really that relevant to begin with. It's a weird complaint ... it's not like portals are permanent. If you see it there, just wait. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Confused 4

6 hours ago, Perisemiotics.4579 said:

It isn't hard to avoid the trolling but it's still annoying as kitten, and not everyone is paying attention all the time or is even aware, hence the trolls find reason to keep grieving. Personally I wouldn't allow portals for JPs either but I get it, some people just can't do them for many reasons and it's nice to have a profession skill that helps others - so I was wondering if devs could implement a range restriction for portals which would forbid them to be placed on chests or even adjacent to them.

Introducing a range restriction would severely affect the usefulness of portals for other aspects of the game. Limiting my comment now to the mesmer profession, mesmers - particularly chronos - have been nerfed so often that this would remove yet another useful utility of the mesmer.

At this point I'm waiting for Anet to just remove mesmers from the game.

• Sad 1

I recall they made a change early in the game (I don't recall if it were during the betas or shortly after release) where they made portals interactable objects because mesmers were portaling afk players (it used to be when the exit was put down, you teleported automatically). I have seen people dropping merchants or boxes o'fun on top of chests and whatnot, but the chest is usually selectable with a mouse click, negating the griefing attempt.

• Like 3

On 5/19/2021 at 5:30 PM, Hesione.9412 said:

Introducing a range restriction would severely affect the usefulness of portals for other aspects of the game. Limiting my comment now to the mesmer profession, mesmers - particularly chronos - have been nerfed so often that this would remove yet another useful utility of the mesmer.

At this point I'm waiting for Anet to just remove mesmers from the game.

I think you misunderstood what I said - a range restriction for portals being placed in relation to a chest, say, no portals would be placed within 400 range of the chest.

• Like 4

I had someone drop a portal on the chests after Chak Gherent one time that led to somewhere under the map. I wanted to be mad but the waypoint was right there and I was honestly just impressed that they went through the effort to break out of the map, swim all the way under that area, and patiently wait for the wall to open.

That's dedication to your craft. 

I wouldn't be too bent out about it. It's annoying, sure, but you get used to figuring out ways around it if you need to open a chest. Just don't rush and open it. 

• Haha 1

On 5/19/2021 at 3:39 PM, Obtena.7952 said:

K BYE!

If you are leaving anyways, then what you think should happen isn't really that relevant to begin with. It's a weird complaint ... it's not like portals are permanent. If you see it there, just wait. 

some1 complain: Oh look pothole on road.

Obtena : Just drive around it, Its not problem.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1