If it's gotta be music based, I prefer Siren...

Iageri.8179

I love all the ideas floating around, but I personally am rooting for the name "Siren" 

A Greek mythological creature that would charm with it's singing.  I have seen posts of people asking for Siren months ago if not over a year back, I personally love the name.

"Bard" sounds too basic and more like a ranger spec..  and every other MMO has it. 

Also insert every Bard DnD meme here. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Iageri.8179 said:

if not over a year back

i mean holy butts i've been asking for main hand warhorn since i turned the game on back in beta testing and went underwater to see "Siren's Song" as trident's auto

but, i dunno, i'm not very hopeful for anything music related, tbh, the only thing i can remember off the top of my head being "Canthan" related are Kurzick Tree Singers, but even then that sounds like it'd go to Rangers, and they have druid already, soooo 

here's to wishful thinking to be pleasantly surprised, at the very least  

Edited by Alpha.1308
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 5/20/2021 at 10:42 PM, Alpha.1308 said:

i mean holy butts i've been asking for main hand warhorn since i turned the game on back in beta testing and went underwater to see "Siren's Song" as trident's auto

but, i dunno, i'm not very hopeful for anything music related, tbh, the only thing i can remember off the top of my head being "Canthan" related are Kurzick Tree Singers, but even then that sounds like it'd go to Rangers, and they have druid already, soooo 

here's to wishful thinking to be pleasantly surprised, at the very least  

Mainhand warhorn won't happen, if mesmer gets warhorn then it will be for the offhand.

And just because we have no song related professions known in the lore of Cantha doesn't mean they can't give us one flavoured for Cantha.

Look at the elite specs from PoF.

We didn't know about a warrior caste which is spreading the Elonan history before, still got firebrand.

Knew nothing about sand based illusionist from Elona either, but there is mirage.

Don't think there are any stories in the first game of rangers having a spiritual link to their pet, so they share the same body. But soulbeast is available.

They can easily just make up some order or caste of mesmers which were historically using music for their magic, then just flavour it to fit the Asian theme and release it. Not every elite spec needs to already be mentioned in the Canthan lore back then in GW1.

Edited by Kodama.6453

1 hour ago, Kodama.6453 said:

Mainhand warhorn won't happen

i didn't say it could, i said 10 years ago i was wished for it to relate to the OP

And just because we have no song related professions

wait..... wat?

first you say one thing won't happen.... but immediately follow it with this?

i don't understand, it's one or the other

either anything can happen, or nothing not immediately in the lore can happen

We didn't know about a warrior caste which is spreading the Elonan history before, still got firebrand.

i also am confused by this 

warrior caste?

like... caster? spellcaster? we got spellbreaker, firebrand is guardian, and both of those fit each of their themes fine, and those concepts where always in the lore, not directly, but it's comparing monk to guardian, so it still fits, so, i have no clue what you mean here

Knew nothing about sand based illusionist from Elona either, but there is mirage.

i mean that still, again, fits the theme

we were told, specifically, for End of Dragons, that we will get "canthan-related e-specs"

this was not an announcement at all for Path of Fire, and even if it was, it would still work, because... mirages... we're in the desert....

Don't think there are any stories in the first game of rangers having a spiritual link to their pet, so they share the same body. But soulbeast is available.

same as above?

we were never told it'd be specific to anything, and this still is lore friendly, just like a bard or anything else could still be lore-friendly to cantha, i just doubt it, i didn't say it couldn't happen, i just doubt it

Not every elite spec needs to already be mentioned in the Canthan lore back then in GW1.

i probably should have led with this and just ignored everything else

but, again

we were told, specifically by anet, that they would be canthan-related 

neither of the previous expansions e-specs were announced as such 

22 hours ago, Alpha.1308 said:

i didn't say it could, i said 10 years ago i was wished for it to relate to the OP

wait..... wat?

first you say one thing won't happen.... but immediately follow it with this?

i don't understand, it's one or the other

either anything can happen, or nothing not immediately in the lore can happen

i also am confused by this 

warrior caste?

like... caster? spellcaster? we got spellbreaker, firebrand is guardian, and both of those fit each of their themes fine, and those concepts where always in the lore, not directly, but it's comparing monk to guardian, so it still fits, so, i have no clue what you mean here

i mean that still, again, fits the theme

we were told, specifically, for End of Dragons, that we will get "canthan-related e-specs"

this was not an announcement at all for Path of Fire, and even if it was, it would still work, because... mirages... we're in the desert....

same as above?

we were never told it'd be specific to anything, and this still is lore friendly, just like a bard or anything else could still be lore-friendly to cantha, i just doubt it, i didn't say it couldn't happen, i just doubt it

i probably should have led with this and just ignored everything else

but, again

we were told, specifically by anet, that they would be canthan-related 

neither of the previous expansions e-specs were announced as such 

Seems we have a slight miscommunication here, I will try to clarify.

I was pointing out that mainhand warhorn won't happen, because of how the weapons are implemented. Warhorn is considered an offhand weapon and we have no reason to think this will change, since something like this didn't happen for the other elite specs so far.

But you said that you don't think we will get a music related elite spec for mesmer, since in the Canthan lore the only thing mentioned close to something like it would be the tree singers, which fit more for the ranger.

I disagreed with your conclusion that we won't get a music related elit spec because of this.

So no, I did not "first say it won't happen, then say it will". I was talking about 2 different points. The first point was that it is really unlikely to get a mainhand weapon, the second point was that it is still a very strong possibility in my eyes that mesmer gets a music related elite spec.

My point was that just because the elite specs are supposed to be connected in the lore to Cantha, they don't need to be already mentioned in the lore.

As I pointed out, firebrands were never mentioned in the lore before, but they are well implemented in the Elonan lore, with an npc who tells us everything about how firebrands emerged in Elona.

Same for soulbeast, holosmith, mirage, and other Elona related elite specs.

They can do the same here for a Canthan elite spec based on music. The tree singers are the only profession which comes to your mind for Cantha yet. But they can just invent some Canthan mages using music (sirens, bards, or however you will call them) and tie them into the lore with a new story, like an NPC telling us that sirens were Luxons who used music intertwined with magic to control sea creatures or such.

Can someone tell me where all the music themed eSpec ideas for Mesmer come from?  What started this trend?

While I am not opposed to bards, minstrel, siren or whatever name and theme one cares to imagine, why are other themes not explored as much as the music ones??

• Like 2

On 5/24/2021 at 11:43 PM, necromaniac.7629 said:

yeah siren was my idea from the beginning too, and if we somehow get it, then i'm going back to my female human mes lol 

Tbh it's possible

I'd say the only things going against it would be. 

People wanting gw1 style mesmer (this is a canthra expansion. It wouldn't surprise me if they did this) 

Mesmer not really needing another supportive role build. 

- we are the meta tanks

- we supply quickness. 

- we supply alacrity. 

- we did have a healing specc til it got nerfed. 

Everything added to mesmer so far has been in some shape of form a support/utility role. And although mirage wasn't. Pushing alacrity onto it kinda now did. And it's expected now it will be balanced as a alacrity build not a DPS one. 

I'd be surprised to see another supportive role. Considering how utility based the class is now comparitively. Weve over time lost alot of our damage builds etc etc to this stuff. And attempts of larger supportive roles with chrono got gutted. 

Imho I think we will see a no-clone elite specc. With Hex's

But it doesn't rule out bard styled. It is another concept highly requested so maybe Anet will just do it anyway. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Daddy.8125 said:

Tbh it's possible

I'd say the only things going against it would be. 

People wanting gw1 style mesmer (this is a canthra expansion. It wouldn't surprise me if they did this) 

Mesmer not really needing another supportive role build. 

- we are the meta tanks

- we supply quickness. 

- we supply alacrity. 

- we did have a healing specc til it got nerfed. 

Everything added to mesmer so far has been in some shape of form a support/utility role. And although mirage wasn't. Pushing alacrity onto it kinda now did. And it's expected now it will be balanced as a alacrity build not a DPS one. 

I'd be surprised to see another supportive role. Considering how utility based the class is now comparitively. Weve over time lost alot of our damage builds etc etc to this stuff. And attempts of larger supportive roles with chrono got gutted. 

Imho I think we will see a no-clone elite specc. With Hex's

But it doesn't rule out bard styled. It is another concept highly requested so maybe Anet will just do it anyway. 

I barely have any idea of what gw1 mes is like...i guess i need to look it up or something