[PvP] Why does Maul hit like a wet noodle (no more reactions needed)

The V.8759

Maul, one if the hardest single hitting abilities we have, seems to have a really low damage profile in PvP (and also WvW, but it's easier to get more stats there to increase damage).

Even with berserker amulet, 25 stacks of might and maxing possible ferocity through traits, it hits 3,8K tops. 

I understand this can be increased with opening attack and such, but there's so many circumstances needed, that in the chaos of PvP, this is almost impossible to reliably achieve. 

Do you think Maul should be hitting a bit harder?

For comparison, Rapid Fire deals much more damage, can be cast from long range, is multihit (so a large chance that at least part of the attack hits) and doesn't even have a big tell. 

Already answered enough. Thanks

Edited by The V.8759
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

Maul does plenty of damage in pvp. Its not meant to be the single hardest hitting ability as it gives a damage buff to the next ability used after it. This is often combo'd with soul beast merge to get a big hit with Worldly Impact. 

Pretty common to see something like sic'em, (quickness of some sort,) rapid fire, weapon swap, maul, worldly impact.  Sometimes they throw a cc in there to set it up nicely. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, The V.8759 said:

Maul, one if the hardest single hitting abilities we have, seems to have a really low damage profile in PvP (and also WvW, but it's easier to get more stats there to increase damage).

Even with berserker amulet, 25 stacks of might and maxing possible ferocity through traits, it hits 3,8K tops. 

I understand this can be increased with opening attack and such, but there's so many circumstances needed, that in the chaos of PvP, this is almost impossible to reliably achieve. 

For comparison, Rapid Fire deals much more damage, can be cast from long range, is multihit (so a large chance that at least part of the attack hits) and doesn't even have a big tell. 

It used to do a lot more damage. In February 2020 they reduced the power coefficient from 1.76 to 1.5 in WvW and PvP. People still cried. So in March 2020 they reduced its power coefficient from 1.5 to 1.36.

You might want to take a the history of the skill at the bottom of the linked page. Yet another example of their "we cannot make our minds up what we want to do with skills" approach to balancing...... (not restricted to Ranger by the way).

Maul (ranger greatsword skill) - Guild Wars 2 Wiki (GW2W)

Edited by Andy.5981
  • Like 1

The art of complaining.

I think you play it with core or druid, plus you don't pile buffs; this is true the skill got nerfed a bit because of soulbeast and ability to stack Vicious, attack of opportunity, sic'em etc; still ...  3.8k ???? It's the damage on my third attack on auto-hit with Greatsword ...

Edited by Zhaid Zhem.6508

I can't speak for pvp, but I can regularly pull 10k mauls in wvw, and that's without any group buffs or huge might stacks... and it can be chained and hits several targets.

You wanna know what a nerfhammer looks like? Go check the sad history of the warrior's Hundred Blades (their "big damage" gs2 skill). At launch, it was basically an absurd meme, despite rooting you. Now you're better off just swinging the auto chain.

There are bigger fish to fry than Maul, even for the ranger.

maul by itself does hit like a wet noodle, its coof is really REALLY low, compared to other skills of its type.
How you make your maul hit hard? Buffs!
Moment of clarity, opening strike, sic em push the damage from 4k wet noodle closer to ~5,5k big bangs
As a ranger you need to line up your bonuses for high damage.

On 5/22/2021 at 9:09 AM, The V.8759 said:

Yes but people don't think they should need to dodgeroll when fighting a ranger so Anet reduced it to laughable damage because forum warriors cried when a slow, heavily telegraphed attack did big damage to them

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Substance E.4852 said:

Yes but people don't think they should need to dodgeroll when fighting a ranger so Anet reduced it to laughable damage because forum warriors cried when a slow, heavily telegraphed attack did big damage to them

You  are forgetting this skill used to be at 4 seconds CD with the trait. That is too spammy for such a hard hitting skill.

So anet nerfed the damage, but shortly after they nerfed the cd to 8s without undoing the nerf to damage. 

Maul is the  rangers never ending story of been overnerfed for what it seems multiple people with no internal communication between them. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

43 minutes ago, Pati.2438 said:

@Substance E.4852 nice warrior theory btw ... i main warrior since release xd only i cry about is that stupid 4 block of gs that is also a knockback with some damage. All other is just fine with rangers i gues ^^

Forum warriors isnt a reference to axctual warriors.. "Forum warriors" are a reference for people who sit on the forums arguing about things.

I see there's quite a few different reactions. Some saying about complaining. I'm not complaining, I was actually looking for constructive feedback. A few people suggested it's fine since it aso gives AoO. Which is a fair argument. Other's kind of agreed since it was both nerfed in CD and damage, which might have been a tad much. 

Anyway, I've come to understand the reasons and arguments behind the current state of Maul better, and that was all I'm looking for 🙂 Thanks for those contributing actual arguments

• The V.8759 changed the title to [PvP] Why does Maul hit like a wet noodle (no more reactions needed)