Cyryllic ingame?

Im russian-speaking user, im playing GW2, im in 2 clans - russian and ukraininan, i need to use engllish keyboard layout to chat wiuth mny clanmates.

All we know, that you'll not add russian localization to the game, but can you make life of russian players easier - by adding ability to write cyryllic symbols to the chat?

Edited by CyberMan.5609
mystapes
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Been discussed, not going to happen. Search. From Anet staff (even though she has moved on)

"...However, we do not have plans to localize for other languages. By the same token, we cannot accept and implement community-translated text, because verifying and implementing the input would be very time consuming and costly. (Consider that inputting text involves things beyond words -- it also can involve videos, animation, and more.)

We have received offers to do community translation for Russian, Hungarian, Czech, and several other languages. We regret that we are not able to offer Guild Wars 2 in every language, but doing so simply would not be feasible, even with the kind offers of the community..."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Blude.6812 said:

Been discussed, not going to happen. Search. From Anet staff (even though she has moved on)

"...However, we do not have plans to localize for other languages. By the same token, we cannot accept and implement community-translated text, because verifying and implementing the input would be very time consuming and costly. (Consider that inputting text involves things beyond words -- it also can involve videos, animation, and more.)

We have received offers to do community translation for Russian, Hungarian, Czech, and several other languages. We regret that we are not able to offer Guild Wars 2 in every language, but doing so simply would not be feasible, even with the kind offers of the community..."

well, TRANSLATION is NOT ACCEPTIONG CYRYYLLIC SYMBOLS IN CHAT. Final Fantasy 14 HAS supporty of cyryllic, GW2 is only in shop.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blude.6812 said:

except they ask for characters support of others alphabet, since you can't put in the chat things like japenese characters or like the OP say cyryllic characters, they don't ask for translation.

Edited by WindBlade.8749
  • Thanks 5

Also to give a dev point of view (i'm a dev (not a gw2 one)) characters can be interpreted with different manners, mainly Characters Table, ascii is one of the most well know, but it's only support about 255 characters.

UTF-8 is also a really popular one, it's support close to every important alphabets + a bunch of usless symbols.

But it's come at a cost, stocking or sending UTF-8 characters take way more memory/disk space/internet/bandwise.
So it's not impossible the chat don't use a Characters Table that support theses characters.

So changing it a new one will ask more work than just swithing in on and off depending of the codebase.

Edited by WindBlade.8749
  • Thanks 2

59 minutes ago, Ayrilana.1396 said:

One potential issue is that players could hide potentially offensive chat behind languages not supported by the Anet team.

if people don't understand it what the point ? also in this game we see people getting killed in cinematic and in the main cast, if some sland words are not ok but murder are ok it's will be strange.

Edited by WindBlade.8749
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

12 minutes ago, WindBlade.8749 said:

if people don't understand it what the point ? also in this game we see people getting killed in cinematic and in the main cast, if some sland words are not ok but murder are ok it's will be strange.

So if someone wanted to threaten or be racist in chat then it’s acceptable so long as people don’t understand it?  What about those that do understand it and report it?  You’re then requiring Anet to have someone monitor chat for that language. 

Edited by Ayrilana.1396
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

6 minutes ago, Ayrilana.1396 said:

So if someone wanted to threaten or be racist in chat then it’s acceptable so long as people don’t understand it?  What about those that do understand it and report it?  You’re then requiring Anet to have someone monitor chat for that language. 

well i don't even think gw2 have monitor for the already supported language, neither ffxiv when they support theses characters

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Ayrilana.1396 said:

But people are already doing that in Latin alphabet. I have reported quite a few character's, guild's, pet's names which in Russian language very offensive and inappropriate, often just swearing words.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, WIR BRAUCHEN ONE EIGHTY.42 said:

But people are already doing that in Latin alphabet. I have reported quite a few character's, guild's, pet's names which in Russian language very offensive and inappropriate, often just swearing words.

And it'll get worse if it opens up to include other languages.

20 minutes ago, WindBlade.8749 said:

well i don't even think gw2 have monitor for the already supported language, neither ffxiv when they support theses characters

They do for the languages which they officially support.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, Fueki.4753 said:

If they were to add another language/alphabet, they would need support staff for it.

I don't think Arenanet has any support staff for Cyrillic or enough resources to hire some.

At the moment people can speak on cyrillic or some other languages by using the latin symbols. Yet, anet, don't have staff to support that. For example, in Bulgarian I can say "mnogo hubavo" which means "много хубаво" which translates "very nice" or "very beautiful". See, people can still use their language to type something in latin and you won't understand it and anet won't have support for it, thus this is not a valid reason.

People are asking for cyrillic support in the chat so they can properly communicate with their guild mates or ingame friends (from the same nationality). Believe it or not, not everyone speaks English and not everyone is willing or can learn it, but they love to stick around with their friends online and they would like to communicate with them.

And with your logic, we should not (and we dont have atm) have voice chat ingame because people can speak freely on different languages. This is absurd.

Edited by Evil.1580
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Evil.1580 said:

At the moment people can speak on cyrillic or some other languages by using the latin symbols. Yet, anet, don't have staff to support that. For example, in Bulgarian I can say "mnogo hubavo" which means "много хубаво" which translates "very nice" or "very beautiful". See, people can still use their language to type something in latin and you won't understand it and anet won't have support for it, thus this is not a valid reason.

People are asking for cyrillic support in the chat so they can properly communicate with their guild mates or ingame friends (from the same nationality). Believe it or not, not everyone speaks English and not everyone is willing or can learn it, but they love to stick around with their friends online and they would like to communicate with them.

And with your logic, we should not (and we dont have atm) have voice chat ingame because people can speak freely on different languages. This is absurd.

If you can already do it why do you need the cyrilic support seems pointless.

Edit

And we dont have voice chat in game so that point is moot.

Edited by Linken.6345
  • Like 3

These languages just happen to be writeable, because one language using the same alphabet is supported.

So, why should a company introduce an alphabet when none of the languages using it are supported?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Fueki.4753 said:

These languages just happen to be writeable, because one language using the same alphabet is supported.

So, why should a company introduce an alphabet when none of the languages using it are supported?

To be honest I am not fully understanding you. Do you mean none of the languages that the game is translated to are using the cyrillic ?

Because if that is the case, we don't want translation in cyrillic but just the option to type in cyrillic in the game chat, like I am able to do so in the forums (my upper comment example).

Edited by Evil.1580

To be honest I am not fully understanding you. Do you mean none of the languages that the game is translated to are using the cyrillic ?

Because if that is the case, we don't want translation in cyrillic but just the option to type in cyrillic in the game chat, like I am able to do so in the forums (my upper comment example).

Yes but since none of the languages we have now use cyrillic why should it be added there is no reason to do so.

• Like 2

On 5/23/2021 at 6:06 PM, Ayrilana.1396 said:

One potential issue is that players could hide potentially offensive chat behind languages not supported by the Anet team.

I seriously doubt that the potential someone could "hide" offensive chat by using a different alphabet outweighs the accessibility you gain by adding/allowing a different alphabet to be used.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

14 minutes ago, Malitias.8453 said:

I seriously doubt that the potential someone could "hide" offensive chat by using a different alphabet outweighs the accessibility you gain by adding/allowing a different alphabet to be used.

There are costs associated with allowing a different alphabet to be used. 

On 5/23/2021 at 9:06 AM, Ayrilana.1396 said:

That can be done already in unsupported languages using the character sets supported by the game.  The post is about character set support, not language support.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

You're not responding to the argument I made, so I assume you agree with the point I made about the accessibility outweighing the potential of using the alphabet in a bad way.

19 minutes ago, Ayrilana.1396 said:

There are costs associated with allowing a different alphabet to be used. 

Anything you do to improve a product has a cost. What's your point?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

22 minutes ago, Ayrilana.1396 said:

I wasn’t referring to language support. 

Are you saying your words "languages not supported" is not about language support?  It seems you are confused about the difference between language support and character set support.  Hopefully my example below will illustrate why.

This forum utilizes UTF-8 encoding.  You are reading it from a browser that most likely uses a font that supports a huge variety of character sets.  ᛊᛟ ᛁ ᚲᚨᚾ ᚹᚱᛁᛏᛖ ᛖᚾᚷᛚᛁᛊᚺ ᚢᛊᛁᚾ ᚱᚢᚾᛖᛊ (So I can write English using runes.  At least on my browser I see it displayed in runes.)  This is no different from someone using latin characters to write potentially offensive chat in a language not supported.  The character set doesn't obstruct offensive chat nor "make it worse".  It's not a "potential issue".

Besides, if you don't understand the unsupported language, how exactly are you affected by offensive chat when you can't even understand what was said?

Edited by Chaba.5410
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1