Reaper needs a buff!

VeyWiil.2576

That's one hell of a first post.

But, well, personally, my stance is that reaper don't need a buff in PvE. It's just in the sweet spot now at 34k dps potential. Sure it isn't really sexy support wise but that's due to PvE design so unless ANet's devs tweek PvE design design nothing will change.

Edited by Dadnir.5038

People generally hate on reapers for the effectiveness in pvp, but the difficulty here would be buffing it to where its a class that is desirable in pve (not selfish dps like it is now) and not making it completely broken in pvp modes. I personally haven't had an issue playing reaper (or scourge) in fractals, cms, or raids but I don't pug. Many pugs in most games tend to be meta or get out.

Unfortunately its not meta in pve so you will run into those, don't take it personally other classes have gotten it as well depending on the current meta.

3 minutes ago, LuRkEr.9462 said:

and not making it completely broken in pvp modes.

I don't get how that's difficult to achieve.

"- X spell's damage buffed by 10% in PvE only"

There you go; now Reaper performs better in PvE and it wasn't made broken in PvP.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Aodlop.1907 said:

There you go; now Reaper performs better in PvE and it wasn't made broken in PvP.

More like X % multiplier in is increased by 5 10 % in pve only like the rest of the classes are, most of the multipliers in pvp are one half or one third the ones in pve anyway.

Alright I kind of feel this needs to be said at this point but the OP copy/pasted this from a satirical and sarcastic paragraph written in a discord that was deliberately memeing. 

Reaper *does* need a buff but not for these specific reasons provided here. 

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Aodlop.1907 said:

The DPS isn't the problem, a good reaper can do ok DPS. The issue is it brings nothing to the group like aegis, spirits, buffs, etc. People don't take reaper because of the DPS issue, they don't take reaper because the group gets more out of taking a different class.

• Like 3

The DPS isn't the problem, a good reaper can do ok DPS. The issue is it brings nothing to the group like aegis, spirits, buffs, etc. People don't take reaper because of the DPS issue, they don't take reaper because the group gets more out of taking a different class.

This guy/gal whatever gets it.

7 hours ago, VeyWiil.2576 said:

Reaper is 100% in need of a buff, I mean look at bannerslave I bet that does more! Reasons below:

-Reaper requires a very high iq to play. The ability to cancel your aftercast is a skill only possessed by less than .01% of the human population, maybe even less than .00%

Reading the 1st line of bullet points feels like it makes not much sense. A conclusion of requiring high IQ is based on a single fact of aftercast, without assessing its overall difficulty level in various situations, as compared to other classes?

The reasons of reaper's performance being unstable on certain bosses is mainly due to the life force loss, if one doesnt have enough knowledge of the fight and constantly eating dmg while in shroud. This issue is well reflected during a long fight when you are able to finish full rotation. However, this is all avoidable with the increasing knowledge of the fights. In fractals, reaper is considered as beginner-friendly dps class, especially for someone just entering T4s. It is relatively independed on boons from allies, able to pull a reasonably high number while still being able to tank the dmg with life force which can be recovered relatively fast anyway. Besides, you merely need to do short rotation in fractals due to short phase.

If you had bad experience of being k1cked while you were performing at the appropriate level, then better blame that commander. On the other hand, aside from your topic, some ppl in this class community keep doing something stupid to ruin its reputation. For example, I ran my alt with a pug yesterday on CM99 arkk, a scourge player thought it can skip the mechanics with barrier (because he does it in raids with a lot of success) but unfortunately it ended up bombing everyone out of the hell. Another example of my own experience of using pwr reaper in 42 farm where you can literally pull 15-20k cleave dps easily, without weapon swap, using a very simplfied rotation. However, a lot of reaper players are pulling under 10k and not being rude but I doubt if they are using white gears or playing without keyboard. These are just simple examples to show why some groups dislike necro (like there is occasionally fractal LFG that particularly mentions "no necro")...

The release of CM100 should help a bit due to scourge's good performance and its ez pz epi that can hard carry bad groups if needed.

1 hour ago, kenny.7236 said:

Can look at wells;

Maybe better or more potent debuffs to mobs.

Wells are core utilities, it doesn't affect reaper only.

You're not wrong in talking about debuff potency, however, the thing is that breakbar is the main thing that make debuffs "poor" in PvE. And ANet's devs are obviously unwilling to touch this poorly thought out mechanism.

That said, I pesonally think that the main issue of the reaper is that it was initially designed to be a slow and resilient movie monster with potential for tanking in PvE while players just wanted it to be a good DPS. Along the years ANet more or less tried to gave up on the slow and resilient design and brought it to be an "OKish" DPS because who would have thought that being resilient and have a bit of movement control wouldn't be enough to tank? Thus the main issue is that the original design is just covered with a big dps band aid fix leaving all the critical flaw that make it fail at doing it's original purpose still there biting down at the reaper anckle.

To "fix" the reaper you'd have to rework it from the ground which is equivalent to create a whole new e-spec. The fact that it's core design is potent enough in sPvP/WvW justify ANet's devs choice to just bring him to an "okish" level of dps in PvE without bothering in fixing the issues with it's original design (in truth, bringing it's dps to this level in PvE didn't go without issues as consequences in competitive modes).

14 minutes ago, Sleepwalker.1398 said:

What do you need banner on Reaper for?

You can easily make a perma quickness / perma 25 might spin to win Reaper easy.

Group utility clearly, people doesnt like necromancers because they dont bring anything to a group.  Of course the selfish generation of buffs would have to be nerfed.

Put vampiric/life steal core effect in wells; allies standing in wells steal life from foes (0.5 or 1sec).

So we could play DPS, with 3 wells (well of blood, suffering, darkness) to add ~200*3 per second, but it could also buff support scourge or whatever.

Or just buff AA on GS, Dagger ...

Otherwise guys, DPS isn't huge anymore. We could compete with others class before but not anymore. ( Unless in PUG because it's an easy class to handle. )

It was okai in fractals because of Soulcleave's summit or pack wolf thing, as we could have more hits per second than the DH with precast or soulbeast with the axe spin and barrage and so benefit a lot of the extra damages. Plus DPS vanish after burst, and we have to wait for the next wells+spin ...

It also suffers of "close to death" and gravedigger, so you see your DPS increasing at the end of the fight, but it's too late to catch up other's benchmark. Mathematically this trait is useless 55% of the fight.

Edited by Zhaid Zhem.6508
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Zhaid Zhem.6508 said:

It also suffers of "close to death", so you see your DPS increase at the end of the fight, but it's too late to catch up other's benchmark. Mathematically this trait is useless 55% of the fight.

The design of close to death is pretty standard... I mean 4 professions have the exact same trait with a different name (Necromancer's close to death, Elementalist's bolt to the heart, Revenant's swift extermination and Thief's executioner).

Edit: And 20% damage increase 45% of a fight, is still close to a 10% damage increase if you look at the fight as a whole (which is reasonnable for a trait).

Edited by Dadnir.5038

22 minutes ago, Dadnir.5038 said:

The design of close to death is pretty standard... I mean 4 professions have the exact same trait with a different name (Necromancer's close to death, Elementalist's bolt to the heart, Revenant's swift extermination and Thief's executioner).

They can also have other/better option.

Fresha air*, the battle scar thing ... Plus, because others suffer from the same penalty doesn't mean we should agree too.

Edited by Zhaid Zhem.6508

On 5/26/2021 at 10:00 PM, LuRkEr.9462 said:

Exactly this. What does reaper offer:

-A lot of cc (gated behind different weapons so it's not easyly accessible.

-provides itself with a good amount of might and quickness (absolutely not needed in raids, because you will have dedicated supports anyways)

before anet took away traited wells, taking blood magic was a minor DPS loss - which gave reaper a bit of support for it's subgroup.

since the trait is gone, bloodmagic is such a huge DPS loss, that it's basically unplayable.

11 hours ago, frareanselm.1925 said:

Reaper requires high IQ ?? the joke of the year.

High iq is required for weaver , but reaper is probably one of the easiest specs of this game!

More than you think.

Weaver needs just high muscle memory:

- Remembering your rotation.

Reaper needs more encounter knowledge:

- For example you should absolutely not swap to axe, then go shroud when the green at the valeguard encounter is about to explode.

You won't go downstate, but your DPS will suffer a lot, while ele might go downstate (no DPS at all) but that shouldn't happen with good supports.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Nimon.7840 said:

More than you think.

Weaver needs just high muscle memory:

- Remembering your rotation.

Most players don't realize that they can have good and reliable dps as elementalist with simple rotations. They are blindsided by the optimales rotations that are easy to fail. For example, you can just sit on lightning hammer on a glass build and you get reaper's dps without much effort (but that's an unthinkable thing for most elementalists). Obviously it's not great in competitive modes, but that's objectively not the point here.

And yes, if you think of your rotation as an elementalist/weaver in a fight, you can already pack your stuff and go home because you'll underperform. If you don't master the optimale rotations at a subconscious level, you'll just do a subpar performance that you'd have easily outperformed with an easier rotation.