Please take your time on EoD expansion

On 5/28/2021 at 3:13 PM, Fueki.4753 said:

I certainly hope they'll take their time until next year.

There's still the living World catch up before it releases.

And then there also are Shadow of the Mad King and Wintersday before January that could interfere with the EoD launch,

if Arenanet releases the expansion close to them.

Also, FF14's Endwalker expansion releases around the end of Novembre.

Arenanet is better off not releasing EoD close to that.

Imo they will take their time and we won't see eod this yr, I mean iirc the new espec testing was slated for July, 1 month away and we haven't even seen any showcases 9f the new especs to build hype for when the testing starts. I'm guessing eod will release in 1st quarter if 2022.

On 5/31/2021 at 2:48 AM, Arnox.5128 said:

PvP didn't take off in GW2 because they completely half-assed it most of the time and everyone just got tired and left. I've talked to many PvPers in GW2 and for all the complaints they have, the core combat was never the issue. In fact, many people say it's incredibly enjoyable, if rather punishing. So, the foundation is solid, but the execution is lacking in many areas.

Well their first major E-sports event after HoT was full of both teams, basically having the same classes/builds which isn't very engaging. Plus the power creep was wild~ 

They gave up rather than going "Hey, wait a minute. Lets make it so all the classes are attractive in this mode, and there is no bunker meta." Rather they just allowed what happened to happen.  Had they given PvP and WvW the love they need and deserve, then Im sure they'd be far more popular than they are now.

On 6/1/2021 at 2:26 AM, The Greyhawk.9107 said:

I personally consider EoD to be Anet's last chance, and I know I'm not alone in that.  So as impatient as I am to return to Cantha, I actually don't want to see this Expansion released this year.  EoD cannot be half-assed, it must be a slam-dunk, so Arenanet has to put in the time and effort to do that.

Also, lmfao at the people that still think GW1 was named after the lore-event guild wars and not the other way around.

Much the same, fitting cantha might be the end of my time here as it was my beginning. I honestly believe that this is it; If this expansion is a bust... well... even if the game lives on many jaded vets and long time players might vacate the game. Time will tell... Im skeptically optimistic as Im hoping the last two years has given them a kick in the kitten. But I wont let it go beyond that.

Edited by Thornwolf.9721
  • Like 2

I'd be a lot more content to wait for EoD if IBS wasn't the thing that it is. They should still take their time and ensure that EoD is good, but man is it uninspiring after what just happened.

It was a mistake to cut LWS5 off at the knees to start on EoD at the expense of the rest of the game. Having EoD on the horizon, even a distant horizon, would be so much more bearable if the content we got prior to it actually lived up to all the grandiose promises and theater-renting fanfare that preceded it. If they're going to make such a big deal out of a living world season and then cut more than half of it in favor of the next big thing, all I can do is wonder how much of EoD will be cut in favor of getting a head start on LWS6, GW3, or whatever it is that comes after.

So sure, take your time, but also don't limit that kind of dedication to expansions.

Edited by AgentMoore.9453
Typos. Now all of the forum knows my shame.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The way I see it the best time to release is when the competition has released months prior. By then you have people that have already cleared most or all of the content, so new game expansion is enticing. So with FF and wow releases I would wait 3 or 4 months after. Or do it months before they release, but I wouldnt release at the same time.

• Like 2

On 5/29/2021 at 11:01 AM, Vayne.8563 said:

I don't see the competition.  I really don't. I don't think that people willing to pay $15 a month won't spend money on another expansion for a game without a monthly fee, particularly if it comes out 3 weeks earlier.

The competition here is New World.. if the xpac comes a long time after its release, GW2 will lose a big chunk of its player base and the xpac will arrive too late to reverse that effect of players investing in a new MMORPG. 

Anet can't afford to delay EoD to some nebulous "In 2022, honest" time frame after cutting of IBS at the knees to work on EoD, an expansion they announced over a year ago at this point.

Normal players are going to see that and go "Oh, kitten, this isn't good" and a lot won't stick around to play reskinned "World boss rush" events and the same old holiday grind farms

Many will come back when the pack does finally drop but the % goes down the further away they push it

It's not even a matter of "oh they won't go to the other MMO's because I think they suck as a GW2 player"

People will just go do something else with their time in general, especially now that Covid's effectively done with and people are itching to make up for lost time

GW2's greatest strength and weakness is that it doesn't force you to turn it into a lifestyle

That means it has unparalleled "pick up and play" potential but also doesn't compel you to stick around between content drops the way other MMO's do

You can put down the game for 6 months, come back, and not miss out on a thing aside from maybe a BLC chest rotation, gem store skins, or some wacky TP fluctuations

In terms of playable content, it will be like you never left

Edited by Substance E.4852

1 hour ago, Dondarrion.2748 said:

The competition here is New World.. if the xpac comes a long time after its release, GW2 will lose a big chunk of its player base and the xpac will arrive too late to reverse that effect of players investing in a new MMORPG. 

I expect New World to be less well received at first than some people expect.  If you recall the Bless situation, the US launch of Bless actually earned us people. It brought more people to MMOs and when they were disappointed, they ended up looking for another MMO. 

So many new games are so hyped for so long, that when they finally come out, they don't live up to expectations and other games benefit. I mean Anthem and Cyperpunk are non-MMO examples and Archeage and Bless are MMO examples. It's easy to say people will leave this game for that game, but I'm not sure that's going to be the case.

• Like 1

I don't understand why people are insisting that Guild Wars 2 releases would have any consideration for the releases of other games. They've never really seemed like the type that made decisions based on other game releases.

That being said, as far as the elite spec beta announced in July, I suspect it to go live fairly soon after its announced. If I remember correctly we had a similar event before Path of Fire launched, which was what.. a month or two after its announcement at the end of One Path Ends?

I don't think testing for the elite specs is going to be anything more than observing bugs and figuring out number crunching as the last time they did it I think it was just a weekend event? That was also to let people test mounts out a bit and explore some of Crystal Oasis. 

I really don't see this release being pushed back to next year, even first quarter. They were pretty confident about announcing it coming this year and I don't think they would announce a delay during the reveal in July. I CAN see it coming out in November/December but given that the new living world events are permanent there's nothing to say they can't release the expansion alongside these events.

One thing to note is that the legendary precursor is only for completing seasons 2 and 3, which means 4 and IBS aren't required for anything but the amulet. This COULD mean that we could be looking at End of Dragons release this fall around the anniversary leaving people the opportunity to go back to do Season 4 and IBS for the amulet during the downtime after the expansion is released before/if they start a new living season. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Bast.7253 said:

I don't understand why people are insisting that Guild Wars 2 releases would have any consideration for the releases of other games. They've never really seemed like the type that made decisions based on other game releases.

That being said, as far as the elite spec beta announced in July, I suspect it to go live fairly soon after its announced. If I remember correctly we had a similar event before Path of Fire launched, which was what.. a month or two after its announcement at the end of One Path Ends?

I don't think testing for the elite specs is going to be anything more than observing bugs and figuring out number crunching as the last time they did it I think it was just a weekend event? That was also to let people test mounts out a bit and explore some of Crystal Oasis. 

I really don't see this release being pushed back to next year, even first quarter. They were pretty confident about announcing it coming this year and I don't think they would announce a delay during the reveal in July. I CAN see it coming out in November/December but given that the new living world events are permanent there's nothing to say they can't release the expansion alongside these events.

One thing to note is that the legendary precursor is only for completing seasons 2 and 3, which means 4 and IBS aren't required for anything but the amulet. This COULD mean that we could be looking at End of Dragons release this fall around the anniversary leaving people the opportunity to go back to do Season 4 and IBS for the amulet during the downtime after the expansion is released before/if they start a new living season. 

I'm not sure how you would know what their consideration was or wasn't unless you work at Anet. I'm relatively sure they time their releases to be advantageous, because that's what companies do.  There's no way they would release an expansion at the same time as WoW for example because it would cost them sales.  The game itself and both expansions were launched in times when fewer games were coming out.  Why wouldn't they?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Zuldari.3940 said:

The way I see it the best time to release is when the competition has released months prior. By then you have people that have already cleared most or all of the content, so new game expansion is enticing. So with FF and wow releases I would wait 3 or 4 months after. Or do it months before they release, but I wouldnt release at the same time.

Releasing at the same time new world intends to would be suicide; A new game ALWAYS beats out an expansion when it comes to fan fare.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Bast.7253 said:

The reason we are insisting is because it can't beat out new games; A TON of us will likely be playing something new and if they release alongside it we might not pick it up or new customers might not. Releasing it around TWW3 and New world is suicided, new world is direct competition while for me Warhammer will take my attention; I already don't intend to buy it immediately and wait to see what the reception of it is because I hated their last expansion and the Icebrood saga dampened any faith I had in the expansion being good.

New games > Expansions, its always been this way. The one exception I've ever seen was when warhammer online launched alongside Wrath of the lich king, but thats because WoW has a zealous fanbase who are like sycophant's for that game and nothing will ever pull them from it until blizzard ruins their game (To them) in some way. Guild wars 2 just doesn't have the star power right now, the faith, to goodwill or even the interest as an entire new title does. Do I think new world will be good? No. I think it will suck. I've played the beta's and its going through the same thing guild wars went through, it was built for PvP then abandoned PvP for the PvE peeps who will spend more money on microtransactions. The difference is guild wars 2 has better gameplay, combat and isn't ugly as sin. New world Is. I just believe a ton of people will check that out before even considering an expansion, but this also comes down to marketing. Guild wars 2 needs trailers that are wide-spread enough to grab attention, they need to market this expansion and hype it up. 

For example we should ALREADY have been shown the E-specs in trailers as those could be showcased on other maps, hiding cantha but hyping the community up for the new toys for their class. The big, big, big news could be saved for the announcement (Maps, WvW, PvP, Any new big additions) But The E-specs should of been shown to keep people engaged and showcase what exactly they can expect. (We all know E-specs are the only redeeming quality of an expansion anyway.)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Vayne.8563 said:

I'm not sure how you would know what their consideration was or wasn't unless you work at Anet. I'm relatively sure they time their releases to be advantageous, because that's what companies do.  There's no way they would release an expansion at the same time as WoW for example because it would cost them sales.  The game itself and both expansions were launched in times when fewer games were coming out.  Why wouldn't they?

I mean, Guild Wars 2 doesn't even have marketing and the only players it pulls in for expansions generally are veterans. It's also not a subscription so people can purchase the expansion and play it simultaneously or park it while they play something else.

I'm just going based off of past releases. I've never gotten the impression that they INTENTIONALLY held back on a release because they were afraid of it competing with some other game or expansion pack or patch of a game. 

3 hours ago, Bast.7253 said:

I mean, Guild Wars 2 doesn't even have marketing and the only players it pulls in for expansions generally are veterans. It's also not a subscription so people can purchase the expansion and play it simultaneously or park it while they play something else.

I'm just going based off of past releases. I've never gotten the impression that they INTENTIONALLY held back on a release because they were afraid of it competing with some other game or expansion pack or patch of a game. 

I'm going off past releases too and I'm not sure what you mean by Guild Wars 2 doesn't have marketing. It absolutely has marketing.  For one thing I get Guild Wars 2 adds on Facebook and MMORPG.com. A few years back their were big billboards in some of the major cities. There have been cross promo things over the years (most unsuccessful) which isn't to say they have no marketing. There's no only a marketing department, but there's a strategy.  And yes it does depend on a lot of word of mouth but that's true of most 9 year old MMOs.  Not all, and not the biggest ones, but most.

On 5/29/2021 at 10:01 AM, Vayne.8563 said:

I don't see the competition.  I really don't. I don't think that people willing to pay $15 a month won't spend money on another expansion for a game without a monthly fee, particularly if it comes out 3 weeks earlier.

It's not that they aren't willing to spend money but if they are playing the new FF expansion when EoD comes, they will likely not want to switch away from FF until they exhausted the gist of the launch content. However, if they miss out on EoD's launch by a lot (lets say by over two months) they might not bother buying and playing the expansion at all because the hype is gone and the initial zerg have moved on and spread out across other content.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

I have to agree, otherwise they would not have cut the IBS short in such a horrible way.

Sounds like you're being sarcastic here, but sometimes you have to cut something to make something else and it's not your choice. I went through this for years in middle management of a company.

The brass makes decisions, and the devs get caught in the middle. There were many management decisions I disagree with over the years that the suits made that I had to implement. Which didn't mean I didn't care about the business. It wasn't a business I owned and so the decisions made were not my own. Sometimes there was no good decision and I was left having to choose between the better of two bad options.

There were all sorts of rumblings about this game being in maintainence mode, all over reddit and even here and you know that's not good for the game either. No expansion was planned at all. It was all going to be IBS and you know, I personally liked the Icebrood Saga.

My suspicion is that the bad publicity of people saying the game was in maintainence mode forced NcSoft to step in and tell Anet, who they own, that they had to work on an expansion and announce it. Which meant that people had to be pulled off IBS and they had to do the best they could with the resources allowed them. And they tried.

But working with short resources to a deadline means you have to do the best you can with what you have to work with. Has nothing at all to do with whether or not you care about the game.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 5/28/2021 at 11:57 AM, TheBravery.9615 said:

Rather have a refined and finished product than a rushed and messy product. Delay it if you need to.

This especially goes to you, systems team.

also roll back the 02/25/2020 'competitive update' and bring back fall damage traits already.

https://i.imgur.com/DBG6Y62.png

there's the thing:  its going to be delayed. by a lot. we know this because of how awful the end of IBS was , and now they are giving away old seasons because they need to keep us entertained for a long time, but dont even have the resources for something as bad as IBS, all they can do is adding a handful of achievements to old content

thats just how enormously, utterly desperate Anet is.

so yeah, it'll be delayed but not to refine and finish it, no, but because they arent anywhere close to being on schedule with it, and they dont even know what to do in the meantime 

Edited by Konrad Curze.5130

On 5/28/2021 at 7:43 AM, Fleabite.7528 said:

Plenty of time and plenty of resource appears to have been devoted, therefore, to meeting the stated launch goal. So please do stick to the plan Anet, and don't delay. 

This might normally be true, but there may have been contributing factors limiting Anet's ability to produce in the past, say ... 15 months or so.