[Suggestions]QoL (Quality of Life) Ideas [Merged]

ginryu.3026

5 minutes ago, Andifulated.3482 said:

I understand perfectly fine.  It's the same tired argument about potential abuse that's blown way out of proportion whenever something could potentially be used to exclude someone else from a group or content.

Again, this isn't a debate about who is got the best arguments. It's about understanding the game. You claim to understand it ... well, from what I can see, you only understand the part you want to talk about (because the part you want to exclude IS relevant to the discussion here).

The reason gearcheck doesn't exist has nothing to do with some forum warriors' tired arguments about abuse. It's about how the game is intended to work and the market it appeals to . 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

1 minute ago, Andifulated.3482 said:

Many, many players don't even know about gear.  There are countless posts both on Reddit and here about how difficult this game is and, time and time again it's either someone utilizing a raid build in solo play or, more commonly, someone using gear t hey got from level-up rewards that don't have synergy with their build at all and are severely under their character level.  Have you tried using a level 1 white rarity weapon against a level 80 mob as a level 80?  You barely do any damage.  Someone showing up with the right build and gear set up means that the chance of them knowing how to play is a lot better.

Or, it means that they got the right drops, and used them?  No knowledge required, other than "this is better than what I was using".

• Confused 2

4 minutes ago, Andifulated.3482 said:

Many, many players don't even know about gear.  There are countless posts both on Reddit and here about how difficult this game is and, time and time again it's either someone utilizing a raid build in solo play or, more commonly, someone using gear t hey got from level-up rewards that don't have synergy with their build at all and are severely under their character level.  Have you tried using a level 1 white rarity weapon against a level 80 mob as a level 80?  You barely do any damage.  Someone showing up with the right build and gear set up means that the chance of them knowing how to play is a lot better.

Except in the vast majority of content, even instance team content ... the right build and gear setup is a WIDE VARIETY of gear and traits. This argument that people need 'the right stuff' is not acknowledging that in GW2, the content is designed to allow this wide variety of gear/traits to be successful. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

2 minutes ago, Obtena.7952 said:

Again, this isn't a debate about who is got the best arguments. It's about understanding the game. You claim to understand it ... well, from what I can see, you only understand the part you want to talk about.

The reason gearcheck doesn't exist has nothing to do with some forum warriors' tired arguments about abuse. 

Well your argumentation has come down to "It's just how the game works" and "potential for abuse is too high." which one is vague and the other is just fear tactics and not really holding any logic.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

1 minute ago, Obtena.7952 said:

Except in the vast majority of content, even instance team content ... the right build and gear setup is a WIDE VARIETY of gear and traits. 

Viable != Optimal and some players want to play with people who've built around optimal play.

There's a difference between getting your first full clear vs getting your subsequent clears to be faster and more efficient.

• Like 2

Just now, Andifulated.3482 said:

Well your argumentation has come down to "It's just how the game works" and "potential for abuse is too high." which one is vague and the other is just fear tactics and not really holding any logic.

Obviously, that argument is good enough because ... it's true. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

1 minute ago, Andifulated.3482 said:

Viable != Optimal and some players want to play with people who've built around optimal play.

Sure, and they can already do that by making their teams in the appropriate way. Most people that want to play optimally have been doing so for years. Gearcheck feature isn't needed to do that. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3

5 minutes ago, robertthebard.8150 said:

Or, it means that they got the right drops, and used them?  No knowledge required, other than "this is better than what I was using".

Personally, I've never gotten anything as a drop that I'd use after I understood how gear worked.  All of my gear is crafted and bought.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Obviously, that argument is good enough because ... it's true. 

Prove it's true without anecdote.

Sure, and they can ... if they make their teams appropriately. Gearcheck feature isn't needed to do that. 

Until they have to go outside of their trusted friend and guild groups and make a public listing to fill which opens them up to a lot of potential bad actors who will try to get a free ride and waste their time doing so.

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Andifulated.3482 said:

Until they have to go outside of their trusted friend and guild groups and make a public listing to fill which opens them up to a lot of potential bad actors who will try to get a free ride and waste their time doing so.

Then they shouldn't play that way if they are so rigid with their team requirements. I have yet to see a reason why people with these heavy requirements should be placated with all of these team building tools so they can make perfect teams in any situation they want.  Just because we don't want to offend them with non-optimal playing people? You need to do better than that. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, Obtena.7952 said:

Then they shouldn't play that way if they are so rigid with their team requirements. 

So, players aiming for efficiency and such should just stop when posting on the LFG instead of having the tools available to them to make sure the person that joined their group is up to the task at the very least with their gear?

• Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, Andifulated.3482 said:

Prove it's true without anecdote.

Again, if they're that concerned about only teaming with players that have all the right stuff, why are they pugging?  Surely they have statics that they can organize, right?  If not, what good is a gear check going to do them, if they don't get players with the right skills?

5 minutes ago, Aeis.8519 said:

Personally, I've never gotten anything as a drop that I'd use after I understood how gear worked.  All of my gear is crafted and bought.

I've purchased mine too.  Ironically, for what I do, I don't need all the right stuff, but I have full exotics with ascended accessories, just because I could.  It's more than good enough for OW content.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Andifulated.3482 said:

So, players aiming for efficiency and such should just stop when posting on the LFG instead of having the tools available to them to make sure the person that joined their group is up to the task at the very least with their gear?

Emphatically YES ... because it's pretty absurd to think placating these high requirements players so they don't have to 'suffer' teaming average joes when they use LFG is actually a problem the game needs to solve with a gear check. Those high requirements players just aren't exceptional. They can form teams just like anyone else that has special requirements ... WITHOUT an ingame tool to police players to do it (which they have done for the last 10 years as well). 

I mean, why is THIS particular group of players so exceptional that they should have a gearcheck tool to accommodate their way of playing the game? Just because they THINK they are exceptional doesn't mean they should get the exceptional tools they need to play that way. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Confused 2

2 minutes ago, Andifulated.3482 said:

Yes?  My multi-game raiding guild had static groups, we'd fill in a couple of DPS if we absolutely had to, but other than that, we never even looked at the LFG tools.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

1 minute ago, robertthebard.8150 said:

I've purchased mine too.  Ironically, for what I do, I don't need all the right stuff, but I have full exotics with ascended accessories, just because I could.  It's more than good enough for OW content.

It's less about the rarity and more about having a cohesive set.  If I'm running my power build I don't slot all my viper's gear, for instance.

• Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, robertthebard.8150 said:

More like "very knowledgeable about how people act when they have a means of control over others".  Then there's your closing line:  "we don't have a gear treadmill over here".  We don't.  What we do have is a skill-based game that players that may or may not know anything about game mechanics want to use to control who's in their groups.  So, how will "all the right stuff" guarantee that a player gets out of AoEs?  That they use the right skills when they need to?  How do we know that they weren't carried to the gear that they can be carried to, or to the KPs?  We don't.  But, we do have a few people that are insisting that all that's required for membership is having all the right stuff.

If this is a major concern for you, why don't you have static groups for instanced content?  You clearly have all the right gear, so surely any static you'd want to join should love to have you, right?  Is there something we don't know?  Is there some reason you have to PuG for all your groups, and are thus concerned about other player's gear/builds?

Sigh...I do play with statics but I sure would like to dive in and help random groups but how do I know the people on the random groups are prepared properly? Should I waste my time? 

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 3

1 minute ago, Einsof.1457 said:

Sigh...I do play with statics but I sure would like to dive in and help random groups but how do I know the people on the random groups are prepared properly? Should I waste my time? 

Maybe go in expecting that you're going to have to be helping those random groups, instead of complaining about helping those random groups?  In DDO, I could run with the elite players, if I chose to.  Instead, I chose to mostly run just with my guild, because even if we were wiping in stuff we should have been able to complete, it was fun, and, frankly, sometimes it was hilarious.  My guild leader loved to zerg quests, but frankly, he sucked at it.

I was running an EE quest with a couple of guildmates one day, and was complaining about people that just zerg all the quests, and complain about other players.  My guildmates were laughing, and I was like "What???", and one of them pointed out that I was zerging the hell out of that quest, while complaining about other players...  I had become what I hated most...  🤣

• Confused 3

2 hours ago, Einsof.1457 said:

If you are being honest about helping, then YES you should waste your time doing it because anyone who is honest about helping people understands there is going to be a wide variety of players they are going to encounter while doing so and in the end, the benefit to you in helping these people is that it expands the pool of players you can enjoy the game with. 

The other option ... keep pointing the finger at everyone else to meet your expectations for gameplay, continue excluding people from your optimal teams and watch the decline of instanced team content while blaming the game for not giving you tools to segregate yourself further. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 2
  • Confused 5

25 minutes ago, Andifulated.3482 said:

Gearcheck is innately toxic, rife with abuse, and isn't necessary, don't you know. Can't have people knowing what they're playing with before they pull the boss, now can we?

Trolling people and wasting their time is toxic. The only people that have issues with gear check in an instanced PvE setting are those who are looking for a carry. That's toxic. 

• Thanks 5
  • Confused 3

8 minutes ago, Obtena.7952 said:

If you are being honest about helping, then YES you should waste your time doing it because anyone who is honest about helping people understands there is going to be a wide variety of players they are likely going to encounter while doing so and in the end, helping these people expands the pool of players you can enjoy the game with. 

The other option ... keep pointing the finger at everyone else to meet your expectations for gameplay, continue excluding people from your optimal teams and watch the decline of instanced team content decline while blaming the game for not giving you tools to segregate yourself further. 

People who lie don't want help. We're trying to isolate the trolls and liars. That's the point of gear check.

• Thanks 5
  • Confused 3