Feedback on mounts, level design and the way story progresses

On 6/9/2021 at 9:54 AM, Joote.4081 said:

There is a lot of good in GW2 but the bad is really bad.  Bosses for instance, boss fight in GW2 have to be the worst of any MMO ever created..  90% of boss fights you are flying through the air, flat on your back, or stunned.  Only if the stars are aligned right are you allowed to get a shot in. 

It sounds like you have issues handling boss mechanics if you find yourself unable to get a shot in.

• Like 2

On 6/9/2021 at 10:42 PM, bettadenu.5483 said:

I'm super glad someone understands why I made this post.

I'm somewhat taken by surprise and at the same time i'm not with the amount of people disagreeing with me. Dry Top is a perfect example. It's verticality, in my opinion, makes it frustrating to play. Having a flying mount is a massive game changer

I can understand why you made the post and still disagree with it.  The fact is some people hate the verticality but I don't believe they're in any way a majority.  Most of the people I know like or even love the verticality. It sets this game apart from everyone else.  Surely you must be aware of the popularity of games like Tomb Raider.  Platforming games are mainstream, not some small niche. 

You may  not like it and some others might not, but I wouldn't say this is a universal problem. The idea of HoT wasn't to use mounts anyway. It was to use the mastery system as a form of progression. Without gliding there are places you can't go, but it doesn't take very long to train gliding at all.  But then there are places you can't go without bouncing mushrooms or updraft use.  Neither of those take long to train either.  It was meant to be a progression system to replace leveling up and some of us prefer that.

The same thing with mounts. You get your basic raptor but until you get long jump, you simply can't go certain places. Until you get a bunny or a skimmer you can't go other places.   

You may not like the way the game is laid out and that's fair enough but clearly plenty of people do. I seriously doubt that more people are turned off by the verticality than people who find it fascinating. And I've met people who over time have gotten better at jumping and figuring out stuff, who started off down on the system and now like it.   And for those who really hate it, you can always make friends with a helpful mesmer. It is, after all, an MMO. You don't have to do everything solo.

• Like 2

HoT is much easier with mounts (especially the springer - I have yet to get the flying mounts), but way more fun without mounts the first time.  It involves spacial problem solving and exploration in a way that other MMOs do not.

Mounts and masteries also provide progression between "the numbers on my pants go up; yay."

• Like 2

I know everyone has a different preference, but I agree with the OP.  When returning to the game, and starting the HoT maps, it was very challenging for me, at times I almost gave up. Eventually I got used to it, but the difficulty jump in navigation, from the base game, was quite apparent. 

• Confused 1

HoT only became fun for me once I was able to get my mounts. The reason why it was not fun: The maps, both mini and main, were absolutely useless as they were an atrocious 2D attempt to describe a 3D environment. I think I might have enjoyed the maps better if the main map had actually been an isomorphic projection that could have described the actual 3D environment a bit better. Tangled Depths was the absolute worst for me and it was an incredibly confusing place.