Help with gear stats for solo PVE builds

Hi all,

With the return of living world seasons, I'm playing my alts to catch-up the story and get all the achievements I can. The problem is, except my main (guardian firebrand with berserker stats), I didn't take time to gear my alts correctly, and that's why I am here.

I mostly do solo PVE content. I use my main to make fractals or other "advanced" stuff, but the majority of time I'm around the world doing metas, achievements, etc. That's why I'm mainly looking for "solo" builds (but if this build is also strong for other content, perfect).

My big problem is... gear stats. For me it was already difficult to make a complete set of ascended gear for my main. So I want to decide what stats I'm going to run in my alts, and not have to change them mid run because it's difficult to manage for me. If the stat type I choose can let me do other type of content just changing build but not stats, that would be awesome (for example, if a necromancer with viperine stats can have a good build for solo content and another good build for raids, just changing traits and habilities, it's what I want).

I know there is a lot of builds and guides, but what I want is your opinion, plus with the recent changes I don't know if builds are up to date. So, the alts I want to gear that way are:

-Necromancer: I'm running a mainly scourge condi build. I read that it's the best option for solo play, but I don't know if it's better to take "Viperine" or "Trailblazer" stats.

-Ranger: my last leveled main so not really sure on what to get. I think Soulbeast is the best option, but absolutely don't know what stats to take.

(-Engineer: I also have this alt, but I don't know if I want to focus on a solo build (as ranger and necro are very strong). Probably make something like my main, give him equipment to make other type of content)

I don't know if this post is better here or in the profession section of the forum, but maybe you can help me 🙂

Thanks in advance

What is "the best" is going to depend largely on your individual skill level,play style  and ability with the class.

While a full damage set like Viper's(-ine) might be preferred overall for a condi build, if your skill level with the class/build is such that you find yourself struggling to stay alive, then Trailblazer's would be preferred. You don't do damage while you are running around, resetting and re-sustaining.

It comes down to the basic question "am I running around trying to stay alive?". or "is this stupidly easy and I wish I was doing more damage?".

No one can answer that for you.

You might have read that a Condi Scourge is "the best" necro option for solo play, but it is a slightly higher APM playstyle than Power Reaper, which is just a simple bruiser. Some players thrive under a high APM scenario, others simply don't. Some players prefer ranged and some prefer melee. This would again be a deciding factor.

My advice is:Exotic Gear is cheap and easy to get so experiment. You have multiple gear loadouts and Build loadouts you can swap whenever you like out of combat. Make a little gold, invest in some personal science and find out what works for you personally. Hit up Youtube, go look at some build guides and find what suits you personally rather than taking someone's personal opinion as meta.

Once you have decided what works for you, look at moving into Ascended armour. Exotics are absolutely fine for just about everything but Fractals above t1.

• Like 1

On 6/1/2021 at 10:35 AM, Rakotia.5812 said:

-Necromancer: I'm running a mainly scourge condi build. I read that it's the best option for solo play, but I don't know if it's better to take "Viperine" or "Trailblazer" stats.

I ran Viper armor and Trailblazer trinkets until I got comfortable with Scourge, and then switched to all Vipers.  So, don't feel like you need to commit all one way or the other. 

• Like 1

On 6/1/2021 at 7:35 AM, Rakotia.5812 said:

-Ranger: my last leveled main so not really sure on what to get. I think Soulbeast is the best option, but absolutely don't know what stats to take.

Personally, I really enjoy Marauder stats for my Soulbeast. Like you, I mostly do Open World stuff: metas, world bosses, map events. But occasionally do fractals or other things.

Marauder is slightly less dps than assassin or berserker, but offers more stability.  I fill up my armor with Runes of the Scholar, then infusion slots with Mighty infusions (available from the laurels vendor) until I can replace them with Might infusions you get from fractal merchants.

All based on a build I found on Metabattle that I've had to tweak remarkably little to suit my style of play. I replaced "Sic 'em!" when it was nerfed with the Dolyak Stance to keep me on my feet when combating foes with good cc, and tinkered with my weapons a bit.

Not sure this will be the solution for you, but you might give it a try.

• Haha 1