This has got to be the most underrated MMO ever...why?

1 hour ago, Sylvyn.4750 said:

One thing that keeps GW2 back is that the very thing it was built around and sets it apart from many other MMOs, WvW/guild wars/realm-vs-realm, is one of the least supported game modes at this point.  Now they focus on PvE content that all other MMOs already have in spades, so they are trying harder to assimilate rather than stand out.

WvW is as empty as it can be, while people enjoy PvE in several aspects.

Why the hell would they focus on WvW just to stand out?

By that logic, Airlines would offer bus rides instead of flies because that would make them stand out in the airliner crowd.

The passengers prefer flying because it's the most comfortable and fastest way. But hey let's stand out

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Kurrilino.2706 said:

By that logic, Airlines would offer bus rides instead of flies because that would make them stand out in the airliner crowd.

The passengers prefer flying because it's the most comfortable and fastest way. But hey let's stand out

By that logic, why call it "Guild Wars"?  That's like a bus line calling themselves "Greyhound Air".  They chose to be a bus but tout themselves as providing air service...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Sylvyn.4750 said:

By that logic, why call it "Guild Wars"?  That's like a bus line calling themselves "Greyhound Air".  They chose to be a bus but tout themselves as providing air service...

This is a question, you have to ask A-Net.

You are not the first one btw. Lot's of people ask where the Guild War is in Guild Wars.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Danger Ferret.6342 said:

As a PvE player uninterested in WvW I stay clear of it. But it sucks that it isn't getting good support as a game mode from the people who prefer it. You'd think that more supported game modes would mean more diverse experiences from which potential players could choose, but I suspect another poster has it right when they suggest this is a profit driven decision based on a cost benefit analysis.

As an aside, one of my pet peeves with the game is that in order to complete legendary weapons, I apparently *must* do a WvW rewards track to obtain the Gift of Battle, which doesn't appear to be something I can purchase ingame, nor can I otherwise purchase a gift that already has Battle as a component of it. Are PvE players invading WvW maps to complete a single reward track having any effect? On one hand, I can see how having a whole bunch of people only set on one goal then leaving being disruptive. On the other, are people stopping by for the achievement and staying for the gameplay?

From what I've seen it's a bit of both. Some people will go into WvW strictly to complete the reward track (or for other specific rewards) and then never touch it again (or at least not until next time they want something from it), others will avoid doing even that much by using alternative methods to complete the reward track (mainly doing non-combat dailies). Some will go in intending to do just the one thing and end up staying because they enjoy it.

I was part of that last group. For me it was the mini dolyak which was originally a reward from a WvW special event. I collect mini pets so I really wanted to get it, so I had to play WvW. At first I had no idea what I was doing, but I figured some stuff out and learned to follow groups, then I'd ask them for more info and learned how it works and came to enjoy it. I'm still primarily a PvE player but I'll go through phases where I play a lot of WvW, or go between the two.

2 hours ago, Kurrilino.2706 said:

Every time i think that i have heard and seen everything someone comes up with another gem.

So people, who perceive the game as bad are wrong because you say so.

Problem with that is, that people decide to not play GW2 because they feel it's bad.

Whatever you have to say to judge them, is not of their concern.

I explained what I meant by this immediately below, in the section you cut off when quoting me.

I was not judging them or saying they're wrong. I was simply acknowledging that sometimes people choose poor wording when expressing their personal preferences.

• Thanks 1

On 6/2/2021 at 4:30 PM, Ayrilana.1396 said:

I’ve played ESO and FF14. GW2 isn’t that great compared to them. There are many elements about them which has helped those games flourish which GW2 lacks. 

I honestly don’t believe that there would be a GW3. I feel that this next expansion will determine the fate of the game/series. If they were to do a GW3, they’re better off doing something like GW1. They can’t handle doing something on the scale of an MMO. 

I have played ESO and FFXIV and both lacks in endgame content, FFXIV has not so great combat, ESO though has great combat. GW2 wins over both those games.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

When I had come back to see if it Gw2 was worth getting back into, I took things slow then realized there wasn't anything to keep me interested. When I'd ask if Gw2 was worth getting back into- Every answer was 'No' for various reasons which I summed up to "slow content." Which is why I left in the 1st place.

On top of that, None of my friends hadn't logged in for months or longer & the few guilds I hopped around in all had cliques & shunned anyone else.

The community is so-so.

The RP community is harassed, ignored & practically non existent due to trolls.

There is no personal, customizable housing- just an instance based on your race which from what I remember, many players disliked.

The story wasn't any good. Everything except PvE/ casual content was ignored for years.

That's likely why it's "#8" on ranking, it's fine where it belongs.

Personally, I've gotten more enjoyment out of ESO & FFXIV. There is different Endgame content for Each MMO & it falls down to what you consider endgame. Some find achievement/ trophy hunting endgame, Deep dungeons, hard raid content, getting BiS gear, glamour collecting & so on.

The combat & graphics in GW2 are very nice.

I don't think there will be a GW3. If there was a GW3, hopefully the team is more organized & comes out with steady, impactful content early on. In the beginning of Gw2, there was a long time with no content- almost 2 years & the team kept going back on the promises they made & many of the playerbase felt ignored & went on to better things. 

3 hours ago, Zoid.2568 said:

I have played ESO and FFXIV and both lacks in endgame content, FFXIV has not so great combat, ESO though has great combat. GW2 wins over both those games.

No they don’t lol. They have a ton more endgame content than GW2 and the endgame content in those games is actually actively developed. GW2 has relatively so very little endgame content. 

Edited by Ayrilana.1396
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Kurrilino.2706 said:

The PVE in this game is not as fun as those other games. I can't quite put my finger on it, but over time, PVE in this game has lost its luster with me. I still poke at it, but I'm actually having more fun in WvW because of the people I play with there. The PVE experiences with other players can feel very transactional outside of open world: you're a cog in a machine, if you don't do your part or you don't fit a meta, you're garbage (and you can feel like garbage too). And in alot of the more rewarding systems, people want to see KP, which is not friendly. There are certainly commanders in WvW that can make WvW just as hellish, but in my server, it feels like most of the time, players treat each other like assets.

In WvW, my guild picked me up after I followed them around for a bit and they're awesome people.

Also as a general comment on PVE in this game, challenging encounters can feel like mechanics soup, like they're not coherently designed with a strategy in mind from the devs and so the players just focus on damage to end the hellish encounter sooner. An easy example of this is perhaps the fractal instability that increases outgoing resistance duration, but does some sort of condi damage IIRC. resistance doesn't do kitten to condis anymore but they left it alone in the rebalance XD. The best way to end that pain is to kill stuff so fast you don't take the damage. This strategy applies to many encounters and is why Druid and HB will continue to be top healers: Druid gives massive damage increases via class buffs (not boons) while HB can mitigate so many mechanics, damage dealers can do full DPS effectively ignoring a lot of them. If the devs happen to read this, I also want to dispel the 10x damage myth: the DPS difference between an unskilled and skilled player is not 10x. It's more like 2.5x. I know this because auto-attacking on my power chrono on a golem with the same buffs as an SnowCrows monkey hits about 40% of their DPS. There are probably a few builds that don't use autos so heavily for DPS where this isn't true, but this massive DPS difference normally has nothing to do with skill and everything to do with composition (and perhaps skill level of players providing boons, depending on boon source.).

I disagree with the quoted poster on a minor technicality though. The most rewarding part of GW2 is actually its permanent gear progress. Thats' something no other MMO has and keeps players sauntering back every now and then, sometimes staying like I did. But it also creates headaches in PVE design, because the devs have to satisfy a range of skill levels with the same content and there really hasn't been good systems for that. fractals are sort of close, but it still feels like it's go T4 or go home in terms of rewards.

Also I'm feeling salty about Warrior/Rev/Guardian. They just feel like the best profs for every game mode. There's very few situations in the various game modes you don't want them around, in addition to them being really strong Open world classes.

Edited by Firebeard.1746
  • Like 2

Hmm, I guess I am just not seeing any of these negative things that several of you have been upset about. Admittedly I haven't explored all aspects of the game yet, but what I have explored (my storylines and Open World), has been a real treat for me. I love the quality of the graphics, the immensity of the world that is to be explored, and the people that I have met. Everyone that I have interacted with has been kind and helpful. I feel happier playing this game than I did during my last few years of playing WoW. I look at a lot of the newer games on the horizon (like New World) and I get dismayed at how awful their graphics and game function appears to be in the teaser videos. I think I will prefer to stick with GW2.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

There is a lot of confirmation bias in many of the replies in this thread.  Some games aren't meant for some people and not all games are meant for all people.  I tried FFXIV and WoW and neither of them appealed to me whereas GW2 found it's niche in my gaming choices.  /shrug   Are there elements that are done far better in other MMOs than in GW2?  Certainly, however for me I found that GW2 did a lot of things right that other games just didn't.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Ayrilana.1396 said:

No they don’t lol. They have a ton more endgame content than GW2 and the endgame content in those games is actually actively developed. GW2 has relatively so very little endgame content. 

What exactly is your definition of "endgame content", and why does it make a game inherently superior if it offers exactly that kind of content?

I can easily understand that the content provided by ESO and FFXIV appeals to a lot of players, including you, but it's personal preference. I on the other hand have played ESO since beta, and still play it regularly, but GW2 is easily is my favorite and #1 MMO to this day, despite the disaster that is the cutting of half of the IBS. It offers the kind of content I enjoy, and stays clear of the kind of content I not enjoy, including the "endgame" instanced content grind that keeps putting me off ESO again and again.

ESO is a good game, I thoroughly enjoy a lot of it (story, open world maps), but it just can't keep up with GW2 when it comes to providing content and entertainment that I personally enjoy. I'm sure there's plenty of people who prefer one or the other, but that doesn't make one game objectively better or worse than the other, just better or worse at appealing to different people.

On 6/1/2021 at 11:14 AM, Rukasu.3097 said:

Monkey tier marketing

100% lol.

On 6/1/2021 at 7:44 AM, CokerOne.6179 said:

I played this this briefly when it launched and decided to try it again a couple weeks ago.

I can't believe how good this game really is now that I have given it an honest try and it's left me really surprised.

I heard on a video I was watching that it's number 8 of most played MMOs right now.  That seems crazy to me.

So what is it that keeps this game so low on the list?  That is if it really is #8....

Also is there confirmation on a guild wars 3 in development?

GW2 didn't launch with any end game even by GW1 standards, a forced-esports single pvp mode and zerg battles in WvW with some severely limited builds in all modes. It wasn't nearly as good of a game as it is now. If GW2 launched today it would have destroyed the competition, but they chose to focus on stupid crap and slowly develop into a complete MMO over 8-9 years later. I suspect the game will only get better over time, unlike WoW which gets worse over time and more people branch out. This is the first time where multiple top-tier MMOs are consecutively popular and well designed and people actually have options. I've tried them all but always gravitate back towards GW2 because broadly its just better in most aspects except story. Expansions help get new blood but marketing is completely awful from this company and refuse to hire a cinematics department.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/2/2021 at 12:13 PM, Thornwolf.9721 said:

Well for one their advertising has always been horrid, when the woke police were here drama was seemingly every other month and we were featured in entertainment weekly a ton over it. So between the fact the game had a terrible rep from launch when so many mmo-players came and said "ThErE Is nO EnD GaMe! REEEEE"

Expansions don't hold the power to change perception when compared to a launch, the game suffers from horrid mismanagement and a terrible reputation that over time has never been addressed or shown to have changed or be willing to change. Plus the core, HoT, PoF and now EoD will always likely feel as if they are COMPLETELY different games which while good in some respects is a nightmare for a new player. 

And with the doom-saying it doesn't help, the community turns on itself and cannibalizes anyone who dares to ask for anything more. You want a specific fantasy niche filled in a class? "Go Play WoW" is what you're given or "Id rather the resources be put into fishing!" Paired with things being account bound, many players hating crafting and the fact that the game is dated in some areas of gameplay it just makes it hard for new players to stick with it in mass. 

But it really, really, really comes down to their marketing for the game which has and always seemingly will be horrendously bad. Don't make me go look up the launch trailer for this game.... It was.... sooooooo bad.

To be honest mate... I think you have a point. I was part of the "ThErE Is nO EnD GaMe! REEEEE" and left the game after like 2 month after release. Competition was HOT in those days in the MMO space and anet was not amazing at communicating what the game was meant to be and what the purpose of endgame was. For years I told my friends to try it and I would come back... but they would not because other than "it has a cool fighting system and looks amazing" it was hard to make a pitch.

Then... I returned a month ago to give it an honest try and can't stop hating myself for all the stuff I missed. I think GW2 is a great game. But so many people get b*tthurt if you even suggest that it could use a bit more direction for endgame, better marketing and perhaps a consolidation of some systems. That said, again - great game IF you manage to get past the learning curve.

Also, something that gets ignored is that I think it makes for a great second squeeze MMO. I don't see myself ever truly leaving FF14 (or the occasional 3 month sub of WoW to catch up/bad habits), but the horizontal progression I used to absolutely hate actually gives me reason to come to the game in and out with little friction.

On 6/7/2021 at 8:27 PM, Sylvyn.4750 said:

Nothing to do with a war bettwen player made guilds mate.

here is a link you can read up on why gw1 and gw2 are named as they are.

https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/The_Guild_Wars

• Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

On 6/7/2021 at 8:27 PM, Sylvyn.4750 said:

That's like you complaining about a plane because you didn't bother reading up what airBUS actually is.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 6/1/2021 at 3:44 PM, CokerOne.6179 said:

I played this this briefly when it launched and decided to try it again a couple weeks ago.

I can't believe how good this game really is now that I have given it an honest try and it's left me really surprised.

I heard on a video I was watching that it's number 8 of most played MMOs right now.  That seems crazy to me.

So what is it that keeps this game so low on the list?  That is if it really is #8....

Also is there confirmation on a guild wars 3 in development?

It's a thing.  I was in the exact same boat as you when I re-joined the game after several years. I thought how can GW2 not be in the number one spot?  Now this is the thing, as you spend more and more times on the game it's faults and shortcoming become apparent, and your praise will slowly drift into the regions of frustration.  Frustration is heavily woven into the game. 

It's not high in the ratings because it has to many underlying faults that the dev's refuse to address.  It's free so your not losing anything by giving it a go.  Just be carful you don't invest to much into it before your sure you want to.

Edited by Follyfoot.2803

Well, here is some info for everyone.

GW2 idea pop-out by GW1 community push. In short, Anet just wanted to have an easier system than GW1 to add cosmetics into the game. 

Everyone is telling "no PR" for GW2 by Anet. Or at least not enough/limited. Lets say GW2 is #10th game instead of #8 or whatever. Is it not prove itself with this, a game in top 10 without any PR?

On 6/1/2021 at 5:38 PM, Dawdler.8521 said:

Being number 8 on most played MMOs is considered low? 

Yes - especially since basically anything beyond top 2-3 spots is extremely subjective. There's a massive gap between few titles on the top and the rest of the pack, but not that much difference between many games in the "second tier". As such, being number 8 is not really different than being number 20 (and vice versa).

I mean, depending on who is doing the list (and how), you can get some really small/niche games in there - and sometimes even private servers of other known games.

Edit: oh, it's a "most played MMO" list... in that case it's even more unreliable, because most MMORPGs don't release their numbers at all.

Edited by Astralporing.1957

I started to play about year ago. All this time I was questioning myself how is that I havent started to play earlier when this game is so nice compared to some other MMOs.

After learning about game and after watching some videos that sometimes mentioned history of GW2 I think that if I started earlier like in 2013 that I would not like this game so much. I really think that HoT, PoF and LS4 saved the game.  This game have the best mounts that I ever saw in MMORPG, I having so much fun with it.  Also I really enjoy in gliding. 

Could be also that people from WoW, LOTRO and similar transfer to FFXIV more (when they search for new game) because of familiar mechanics. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Psycoprophet.8107 said:

I disagree that it's underrated, it's usually in the top ten and sometimes in the 4th-5th spot, exactly where it should be. It's a great mmo, but not the best so...

When I returned to the game recently I thought it to be the best mmo.  Alas after a few weeks or months you start to run into the stuff that is screwed up, busted and bent.  Then you realise why it's not so popular as you first thought it should be.

Opening impressions are fantastic.  Later reviewal, pretty lame. It's there though, so close to being the top.  Some really bad design decisions along with the reluctance to clean up their game holds it back.

15 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

Nothing to do with a war bettwen player made guilds mate.

here is a link you can read up on why gw1 and gw2 are named as they are.

https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/The_Guild_Wars

I didn't play GW1, but unless that picked up at the tail end of the Guild Wars, then is the title of the game merely a reflection of a historical event rather than current events?

14 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

That's like you complaining about a plane because you didn't bother reading up what airBUS actually is.

That term is a company name more commonly seen/used in Europe, not in North America, and was established in 1970.  The word airplane has existed since the late 19th century.  I think I have time on my side here...:)