This has got to be the most underrated MMO ever...why?

14 hours ago, Bloodangel.4938 said:

Do you wanna know why? Because the game keeps the players up until the very best part and then makes them quit.
It's so easy and cheap to get exotics, ascended gear offers such low upgrade to your character that you should not even bother.
It's been tested all over YT, now legendaries? ALL this effort to get them to have stats as ascended... but with better look? PUKE

Personally me and my friends ( we are 7 people ) all quitted for the same reason after a big discussion for the future and the time we must invest for gain only looks. There is no reason to spend all this time of your life to get such little upgrade. Imagine going 80 with exotics and be comparable in dps with a full legendary. Now compare this slight difference with the time both players invested. PUKE
ArenaNet will never get it TIME = REWARD
Took them so many years to listen to community about mounts and so many issues that have been in this forum for ages.

If they decide to scale gear and time invested/reward scenario, yes this will be hands down the best game I've ever played
( played all the MMORPGs up to endgame)

If only they would do ascended gear more attractive so you WANT and NEED to invest time and legendaries with increased stats, no one would stop playing. If you could somehow made a poll from all players who quit until now, my opinion will be the top % wise. I've been coming and leaving to this game since its launch, been in discord servers from guilds and have discussed a lot. This point above was the most mentioned and personally the one that made us quit for good

I don't see what is so rewarding about arbitrary time-gating.  Fighting a boss at ilvl 100 is no different than fighting the same boss at ilvl 500.  Why do I need new gear just to play through the same content?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aeolus.3615 said:

the people i know IRL quited cause pve was stupidly easy, and pvp was to much gimmick burst  and spikes  they all got bored easilly.

they tried Livin story together efrom the start... mobs died with 1 or 2 hits so most ended whacking air and pixels, i stoped playing with them as well cause felt i was a bot there taking part of the fun out .. or what was left of it....

they did dungeons until they learned its useless content

they did some raids until they notice was just for some useless rewards

they told me theres no point of playing a useless rewards game speciall a game where players are super carried with damage output.

So the content that is challenging enough your friends didn't want to bother with but the game is stupidly easy because they ran single player content in groups. Nice...

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, AliamRationem.5172 said:

So the content that is challenging enough your friends didn't want to bother with but the game is stupidly easy because they ran single player content in groups. Nice...

they did some raids as well but for what they told me there was no point of doing them since  rewards had no sense of progression nor had anything special besides useless toon embezzlements.

Well  i cant say they arent wrong ;\ Raids are useless for me as well, i rather be in WvW than being a useless raid player for a useless reward 😄, dungeons at least at the begning provided stuff players want to use for the build.

They liked fraactals but playing the game just for it would be lackluster.

Altough the embezzlements stacking can hide toon animation xD if the enemy has everything maxed and will be harder to notice skill animations hahahaha.

Edited by Aeolus.3615
  • Confused 1

My list of reasons:

• This game is designed from its core for casual gamers.
  • It doesnt have any feel of character progression beyond legendary items.
  • Any cool or nice skin is a Visa Skin (get ready your credit card).
  • Once people reach lvl 80, its hard to figure what the heck you should to do.
  • You can´t play the build you want, they force you to use a few "optimal" builds per class.
  • Most of the end game content it's in the gem store.
Edited by XBlackCrow.6427
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, XBlackCrow.6427 said:
  • You can´t play the build you want, they force you to use a few "optimal" builds per class.
  •  

This really depends on the content and the people with whom you choose to play.  I've been playing 7+ years on builds that I like to play and don't really care about "optimal". 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, AliamRationem.5172 said:

I don't see what is so rewarding about arbitrary time-gating.  Fighting a boss at ilvl 100 is no different than fighting the same boss at ilvl 500.  Why do I need new gear just to play through the same content?

So you get even more new and improved gear that you can show off in capital cities to all the casual plebs, its a feedback loop and is the reason why mmo's are so addictive. 

Edited by Seirus.8934

• 2 months later...

GW2 is not underrated...  It's actually overrated.

The game has more cons than pros and doesn't come together very well when you look at a lot of things.  Now I know the fan boys and girls are going to go bananas reading this, but just stay calm...I'm not saying don't play GW2 or tell a friend about it, I'm just stating the developers dropped the ball on a lot of things.

- Armor types really mean nothing.  It doesn't matter if you're wearing light, medium or heavy, you won't get any greater of a defense against physical attacks and that makes no sense.  Heavy armor should add more physical defense than medium and light.  You got to keep in mind, physical damage is different from elemental damage so you wouldn’t absorb any magical damage from armor, you would need resistance to an element for that.  That’s what bugs me with Elementalists...  You can attune to fire, use it to deal damage...practically become fire...but you have no resistance from fire when getting hit by it.  That’s just bad imagination or lack of creativity.

- The ultimate stat is power (precision and ferocity).  There's so many different stat-lines one can craft their gear with but in reality, it's all just a waste.  Power is the most valuable of them all.  If you want to deal damage, you stack power, precision and ferocity...period!  Because of this, there’s only two things you can ultimately be...  A damage dealer or a supporter but here’s the problem...  You can easily be a damage dealer by stacking the big three stats but what can you stack to be...lets say...a good healer?  Nothing!!  You can never stack enough healing, concentration or expertise to jack up your ability as a supporter like someone can who wants to deal damage.  The “Devs” wanted to go in a different direction than Tank, Healer and DPS but the direction they went in is no-mans-land.

- Boons are meaningless.  This is fact because 1 to 3 seconds of might isn’t going to help you much in anyway.  The same can be said for a life leech of 200 health per leech.  Really...boons, HOTs (heal over time) and DOTs (damage over time) are so poorly implemented, you’re better off just doing what most players do and that’s “zerk” out so they can survive and actually contribute big for a group.  As a support Necro, what’s the point in me casting a 2.5K shield when the enemy is hitting like 10k a pop...then the weak ability has to go on a cool-down and during that time, you’re being slaughtered up.  I know a group as a whole is supposed to all help out on support but really...”zerks” can do it alone because their own healing abilities are enough to carry the group so where does that leave a total support player?  .......  Huge ball drop.

- Unnecessary wasted time.  Lets be honest...  Getting anything done in a mmorpg takes a long time.  That’s nothing new, been like that in mmorpgs before GW2 because no company/developing team thinks to make the game move along faster for players who actually have a life outside the game.  Little things could really help out on the time consumption like getting rid of the cool-downs associated with crafting.  Really...it makes no sense waiting ten days to craft ten items you can actually craft like, right now.  That’s just a blatant waste of a gamers time and I know it’s all about gold sinking you but adds zero polish to a mmo that already has room for a ton polishing.  If you look for them, you find a lot of things that just waste too much extra time.

- In game rewards for level 80s is just bad.  I know everything in the game kind of points back to gold but come on...  Is it really going to kill the game to give one gold per chest in Drizzlewood final events?  Is the thought of letting an ascension piece gear drop at the rate of one drop out of every 30 Drizzlewood final events (north and south)?  Why are level 80 players getting so much meaningless garbage in their bags?  I remember getting something completely odd once in Drizzlewood...can’t remember what it was but I was like, “are you kidding me?!  This garbage shouldn’t even be dropping on this map!”  Seriously “Devs”....just give players some raw gold from chests and that alone will make a lot of players happy with the loop system.  Your gold sinks are going to get it back anyway, right?

- Inconsistencies throughout the game.  When you have auto loot enabled, you expect to never have to manually loot another chest or anything again but sadly the ability doesn’t stick throughout the game.  It’s the same thing with “teleporters” on maps.  One map has too many teleporters and another map might have one or two.  Fans make up excuses by saying, “well, we have mounts now” but sorry, that’s just an excuse for poor polish and inconsistency.

- Too many scripted knocked downs in combat (now) and “small fry” enemies are becoming world bosses.  Seriously...if you go to Drizzlewood as a support player who does not stack power, precision and ferocity...go toe to toe with a single “small fry”, you’ll find yourself on the ground reaching up as a “small fry” enemy sends you to your maker.  This is absolutely unacceptable for a player who’s level 80 and wearing all ascension gear!  Even as a “zerk” in Drizzlewood, you better kill fast but that won’t help you much if you end up in the middle of a swarm of “small fry.”  I find myself on the ground from random knockdowns in combat like 90 percent of the fight time and this is practically on every map because that “knockdown” thing has been programmed everywhere.  That’s like the worst thing I’ve ever seen in any mmorpg.  It’s one thing to make “small fry” enemies like bosses but to gave you no chance at staying alive because you’re always on the ground...sometimes for 10 seconds a knockdown...  Utter disgrace.

Calm down folks, “geesh!”  GW2 is a playable mmorpg even with all the short comings.  It’s just far from being the greatest mmorpg ever made, but doable.  Are there better mmos out there?  Definitely one...22 million players and counting but I’m not naming it here.

I just wish the “Devs” would clean a lot of things up so the game can be what I know it can be.  Really, after putting so much money in this game, I wouldn’t want to just give up on it anytime soon.  It really is up to the “Devs” as far as what happens with this mmo title in the future and rather or not players continue with it or part ways.  There is nothing anyone can say that will cause someone to stop playing a game.  Only the game itself can do that.

Forgive my “typos” if any...  My eyes move too fast at times...  Like a baby Yoda.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

I'll never understand it myself. This game has always had so much potential to be higher up the tier list of best MMOs. It's my top played MMO, so I'm biased, but after playing the New World beta (which seems to have a large potential player base) I realized that GW2 already does everything that game is trying to do so much better. It just needs some attention paid to WvW and sPVP, and some marketing. If it ever does go to Steam, that would be the time to launch major updates to those game modes.

• Like 1

On 7/13/2021 at 4:32 AM, XBlackCrow.6427 said:

My list of reasons:

• This game is designed from its core for casual gamers.
  • It doesnt have any feel of character progression beyond legendary items.
  • Any cool or nice skin is a Visa Skin (get ready your credit card).
  • Once people reach lvl 80, its hard to figure what the heck you should to do.
  • Most of the end game content it's in the gem store.

You must be playing a different game from me. I have great looking characters most of whom don't use gem store skins. And there is progression in this game it's called skill progression. Players from other games need higher stats to make them feel better about themselves. It's nothing more than being a coatrack for greatness. You're not great, your gear is great.

Here, doing a lot more damage, or getting a lot better at something is something you can note.  Good players do 500% more damage than average players.  Bosses I couldn't kill a year ago I can solo now.  Bosses I could kill before in 3 minutes, I can kill in 1 minute now.

There's only progression for people who care about personal skill rather than just gear upgrades. That would be someone like me.

• Like 2

Anyone I talk to has no idea what guild wars 2 is.

Why is there a sequel? Was the first any good?

What kind of game is it? A pvp game of guilds?

Sometimes they play the first game and love it and then find out that gw2 is absolutely nothing like the first game and are even more confused. Nothing about this game is really working in it's favour, from it's name to it's lack of consistency across the franchise.

I'm shocked it has survived this long, but it has extremely devoted fans like The Secret World has and that game is surprisingly still kicking.

• Like 1

IMO the main reasons:

* GW2 is kinda grindy. is salvaging 10000 things per day fun? is having to empty your full bags 100x per day fun?
* it's tedious and too much pay-to-win, nearly everything worth having requires gems, the game is SUPER TEDIOUS to play without spending gems
* it's quite an anti-social game, with many barrier that make it hard for you to play with your friends, the levelling up experience is really horrible.
* PVP game mode is really unappealling
* a lot of people hate downed state

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

5 hours ago, Horace.3184 said:

GW2 is not underrated...  It's actually overrated.

The game has more cons than pros and doesn't come together very well when you look at a lot of things.  Now I know the fan boys and girls are going to go bananas reading this, but just stay calm...I'm not saying don't play GW2 or tell a friend about it, I'm just stating the developers dropped the ball on a lot of things.

- Armor types really mean nothing.  It doesn't matter if you're wearing light, medium or heavy, you won't get any greater of a defense against physical attacks and that makes no sense.  Heavy armor should add more physical defense than medium and light.  You got to keep in mind, physical damage is different from elemental damage so you wouldn’t absorb any magical damage from armor, you would need resistance to an element for that.  That’s what bugs me with Elementalists...  You can attune to fire, use it to deal damage...practically become fire...but you have no resistance from fire when getting hit by it.  That’s just bad imagination or lack of creativity.

Heavy armor does grant more defense.

I agree that it would be cooler if damagetypes mattered more, but that would sort of go against the spirit of the game and would make inventory management worse.

- The ultimate stat is power (precision and ferocity).  There's so many different stat-lines one can craft their gear with but in reality, it's all just a waste.  Power is the most valuable of them all.  If you want to deal damage, you stack power, precision and ferocity...period!  Because of this, there’s only two things you can ultimately be...  A damage dealer or a supporter but here’s the problem...  You can easily be a damage dealer by stacking the big three stats but what can you stack to be...lets say...a good healer?  Nothing!!  You can never stack enough healing, concentration or expertise to jack up your ability as a supporter like someone can who wants to deal damage.  The “Devs” wanted to go in a different direction than Tank, Healer and DPS but the direction they went in is no-mans-land.

You've only played pve right, and not even all of  it. Because this is just straight false.

- Boons are meaningless.  This is fact because 1 to 3 seconds of might isn’t going to help you much in anyway.  The same can be said for a life leech of 200 health per leech.  Really...boons, HOTs (heal over time) and DOTs (damage over time) are so poorly implemented, you’re better off just doing what most players do and that’s “zerk” out so they can survive and actually contribute big for a group.  As a support Necro, what’s the point in me casting a 2.5K shield when the enemy is hitting like 10k a pop...then the weak ability has to go on a cool-down and during that time, you’re being slaughtered up.  I know a group as a whole is supposed to all help out on support but really...”zerks” can do it alone because their own healing abilities are enough to carry the group so where does that leave a total support player?  .......  Huge ball drop.

So you dont understand the game, thats good to know atleast.

If anything boons are to strong atm. Groups get  warped about the need for boons, and fb is so strong because of the boons it probides.

- Unnecessary wasted time.  Lets be honest...  Getting anything done in a mmorpg takes a long time.  That’s nothing new, been like that in mmorpgs before GW2 because no company/developing team thinks to make the game move along faster for players who actually have a life outside the game.  Little things could really help out on the time consumption like getting rid of the cool-downs associated with crafting.  Really...it makes no sense waiting ten days to craft ten items you can actually craft like, right now.  That’s just a blatant waste of a gamers time and I know it’s all about gold sinking you but adds zero polish to a mmo that already has room for a ton polishing.  If you look for them, you find a lot of things that just waste too much extra time.

The whole point of these is keep the value of the ascended materials.

- In game rewards for level 80s is just bad.  I know everything in the game kind of points back to gold but come on...  Is it really going to kill the game to give one gold per chest in Drizzlewood final events?  Is the thought of letting an ascension piece gear drop at the rate of one drop out of every 30 Drizzlewood final events (north and south)?  Why are level 80 players getting so much meaningless garbage in their bags?  I remember getting something completely odd once in Drizzlewood...can’t remember what it was but I was like, “are you kidding me?!  This garbage shouldn’t even be dropping on this map!”  Seriously “Devs”....just give players some raw gold from chests and that alone will make a lot of players happy with the loop system.  Your gold sinks are going to get it back anyway, right?

Please add inflation in the game, great well thought out suggestion

- Inconsistencies throughout the game.  When you have auto loot enabled, you expect to never have to manually loot another chest or anything again but sadly the ability doesn’t stick throughout the game.

First point you are actually correct one.

It’s the same thing with “teleporters” on maps.  One map has too many teleporters and another map might have one or two.  Fans make up excuses by saying, “well, we have mounts now” but sorry, that’s just an excuse for poor polish and inconsistency.

No, that is the reason. They made the pof maps have less teleports specificly to make them feel bigger with mounts. 

- Too many scripted knocked downs in combat (now) and “small fry” enemies are becoming world bosses.  Seriously...if you go to Drizzlewood as a support player who does not stack power, precision and ferocity...go toe to toe with a single “small fry”, you’ll find yourself on the ground reaching up as a “small fry” enemy sends you to your maker.  This is absolutely unacceptable for a player who’s level 80 and wearing all ascension gear!  Even as a “zerk” in Drizzlewood, you better kill fast but that won’t help you much if you end up in the middle of a swarm of “small fry.”  I find myself on the ground from random knockdowns in combat like 90 percent of the fight time and this is practically on every map because that “knockdown” thing has been programmed everywhere.  That’s like the worst thing I’ve ever seen in any mmorpg.  It’s one thing to make “small fry” enemies like bosses but to gave you no chance at staying alive because you’re always on the ground...sometimes for 10 seconds a knockdown...  Utter disgrace.

Ive never experienced this, not that im saying it does not happen. i just have never experienced it.

Calm down folks, “geesh!”  GW2 is a playable mmorpg even with all the short comings.  It’s just far from being the greatest mmorpg ever made, but doable.  Are there better mmos out there?  Definitely one...22 million players and counting but I’m not naming it here.

To me your post just reads that this is not a style of mmo for you. comparing it to ff is a fallacy at best as they are incomparables as games. (i would say the same thing if someone said gw2 is better then ff btw.)

I just wish the “Devs” would clean a lot of things up so the game can be what I know it can be.  Really, after putting so much money in this game, I wouldn’t want to just give up on it anytime soon.  It really is up to the “Devs” as far as what happens with this mmo title in the future and rather or not players continue with it or part ways.  There is nothing anyone can say that will cause someone to stop playing a game.  Only the game itself can do that.

Forgive my “typos” if any...  My eyes move too fast at times...  Like a baby Yoda.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Most people play MMOs only for vertical progression. Gotta show those flashy armors to other players and look down on them, right? For the next 3 months I mean, when your gear won't be the newest and you have to farm for it again in order to show everyone that you're still the best.

Don't believe me? Just look at what most people that hate the game say, it's mostly related to horizontal progression and having "nothing to do after level 80" because if you can't farm overpowered gear in raids, for them an MMO isn't an MMO.

People don't know how to appreciate games that don't make you overpowered with level 200 and gear that makes them a lot better than other players.

On 9/22/2021 at 10:51 AM, scerevisiae.1972 said:

* it's tedious and too much pay-to-win, nearly everything worth having requires gems, the game is SUPER TEDIOUS to play without spending gems

Really? Pay to win? Please show me the section of the gem store that lets you buy all the armors in the game and will make you overpowered and be able to solo everything.

Funny that I've been playing this game for 8 years and I've never seen that pay to win and I also never bought gems because I could buy all the gems I needed with gold. Also skins and convenience items can't be called pay to win. In other MMOs (not the popular ones though) you can buy stats buffs and even gear in the in-game store, but not here. So I don't know what you're talking about.

Edited by Crono.4197
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, yann.1946 said:

To me your post just reads that this is not a style of mmo for you. comparing it to ff is a fallacy at best as they are incomparables as games. (i would say the same thing if someone said gw2 is better then ff btw.)

Unfortunatelly most people these days feel so entitled that if a game doesn't fit them they think that game is bad because they are the masters of the universe and have the supreme opinion.

Comparing Guild Wars 2 to WoW or FF14 is like comparing apples to oranges. Different audiences, it's a matter of what you want from an MMO.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Horace.3184 said:

Better is subjective.  I don't play that unnamed MMO because I don't like the type of game that it is; however, GW2 fits my preferred play-style a lot more.  I'm certain that there are many other players who might agree.

• Like 5

Because there is no sense of progression.  It feels like Planetside 2, but even that gives you a more rewarding feeling of progression while playing it.

I bought the game for a friend as a gift, but we both moved to TESO.  I bought him that and the expansions because I just didn't see anything for us to do in GW2.  There is just no sense of progression, whatsoever, and the group content just isn't there [enough].  It does not feel like an MMO, to us, so we stopped and started playing something that does...

Edited by Tren.5120

On 9/22/2021 at 6:09 AM, Crono.4197 said:

Don't believe me? Just look at what most people that hate the game say, it's mostly related to horizontal progression and having "nothing to do after level 80" because if you can't farm overpowered gear in raids, for them an MMO isn't an MMO.

TL;DR:  The game feels too disposable, which means that people feel like it disposes of their time for not enough return in investment.  It starts off nice, but you eventually hit a wall where it becomes more chore than entertainment, because you aren't really able to progress further without "redoing" what you've already done on a new character.  The game doesn't offer enough avenues of progression.  It plays more like an ARPG than an MMORPG.  It gets very monotonous, except if you're into story content and play only when they launch Living World Episodes.

Long Version:

It isn't about farming overpowered gear in raids.

It's about feeling like, after 500 hours of playing an MMORPG, you feel like you have progressed your character - and don't feel the need to roll numerous alts to work around the lack of that.

Even if you play something like FFXIV or WoW, you can never raid but you will still progress your character's gear, Talents, etc. just from running dungeons.

GW2 has a hard progression wall that you hit, and after that the only way to get any more of it is to create a new character and start over.

In games like EQ, you could play the same character for 20 years, and this never happened - ever.  Even if you have never stepped foot in a raid zone.  They added things like the Alternate Advancement System, etc. into there that facilitated this.  Other games have far better crafting systems, etc. as well.  In GW2, you have... cosmetics?

This is not about people wanting OP gear off raid bosses - which sounds no-sensical, since content can simply be tuned to normalize the gear anyway, and anyone who raids the zone has access to it ... it's not that special, and it exists [largely] to facilitate content progression - as usually happens in Expansion/DLC zones in other MMORPGs.  It's about them wanting to play an RPG game where they feel like their character progresses and doesn't stagnate after 6 months of farming for the next decade.

Get off of that high horse, guy.

If you're an ultra-casual, then of course this will all appeal to you because it's nice not "falling behind" those people who have more time to play a game.  But for people who have more time to play a game, this feels more like Diablo III than something like EQ[2], WoW, FFXIV, TESO or other MMORPGs that actually deliver an MMORPG experience.

It's basically an open world Action RPG without the loot component.

I know it's cool to call any open world social game an MMORPG, these days.  But what many people expect out of them is different than what GW2 delivers, which is more similar to current multi-player Action RPG Games - except it lacks a carrot.

So, the only reason to play it is if you either:

1.  Are an ultra casual who can't really devote the time to progress a character in another game (which requires more playtime to do so and actually keep up with the general playerbase).

2.  Just love the lore and/or story - but one can always just play the way they play Path of Exile.  Get it when it launches, play through it and go away until the next season starts.

Edited by Tren.5120
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3

On 9/22/2021 at 12:37 AM, Redfeather.6401 said:

I'm shocked it has survived this long, but it has extremely devoted fans like The Secret World has and that game is surprisingly still kicking.

F2P makes any game survive forever.  As long as the Market and Expansion Sales are enough to keep the servers online and pay the developers, what reason is there to shut it down.  Look at games like EQ, EQ2, etc.  The player bases are a shadow of what they were at those games' peak, but the F2P Cash Shop model infuses viability where there would otherwise be none.

Only the best games can even hope to ask for a subscription, these days, and there's a reason why every studio is shying away from developing MMORPG games.

EDIT:  By God, this forum is horrible with formatting (Extra Lines, etc.).

Edited by Tren.5120
  • Confused 1

I bought the game back in 2013, and played it off and on (off mostly) for a few years. It wasn't until they added the action cam mode that I really got into the game. Until that happened, it really did seem like a weird WoW clone to me. With everything they've added to the game, it feels so much more like it's own thing now.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HotDelirium.7984 said:

Say the reason is upper management without saying it's upper management.

Screw that, I'll always blame NCSoft for doing absolutely nothing to actually make their games stand out and just being a terrible publishing company overall. ANet as an individual game development studio have managed to stand the test of time under NCSoft's wing and I'm genuinely impressed by how long they managed to do it. The fact that GW1 is still running and populated is a testament to ANet's work, NCSoft just leeches the skritt out of them as we can see with how the layoffs occurred under the direction of NCSoft. Seriously, this is a pattern with this company; dev teams manage to get their game to stand out and even feel overrated at times, then NCSoft manages to kill them off or bury them to obscurity.

Blade & Soul used to be hype, now it's nowhere to be seen despite the UE4 update and the new Dual Blade class. No one's even spoken about Aion these days, despite having recent releases 2/3 years prior. Lineage series is in development limbo with Project TL. City of Heroes? Died under NCSoft and revived with more players enjoying it under different circumstances. Tabula Rasa was dead on arrival and got NCSoft sued. And let's not forget the absolute trainwreck that was WildStar. 

Until ANet acknowledges how little their parent company actually cares for them, this game is gonna continue to be under the radar. Even with End of Dragons, the game as is right now barely manages to make headline news in the MMO sphere because NCSoft, even to this day, still does absolutely nothing to actually get people to acknowledge the existence of GW2. 

• Like 2

On 9/22/2021 at 12:09 PM, Crono.4197 said:

Most people play MMOs only for horizontal progression. Gotta show those flashy armors to other players and look down on them, right? For the next 3 months I mean, when your gear won't be the newest and you have to farm for it again in order to show everyone that you're still the best.

Isnt that vertical progression though?

1 hour ago, ChronoPinoyX.7923 said:

Screw that, I'll always blame NCSoft for doing absolutely nothing to actually make their games stand out and just being a terrible publishing company overall. ANet as an individual game development studio have managed to stand the test of time under NCSoft's wing and I'm genuinely impressed by how long they managed to do it. The fact that GW1 is still running and populated is a testament to ANet's work, NCSoft just leeches the skritt out of them as we can see with how the layoffs occurred under the direction of NCSoft. Seriously, this is a pattern with this company; dev teams manage to get their game to stand out and even feel overrated at times, then NCSoft manages to kill them off or bury them to obscurity.

Blade & Soul used to be hype, now it's nowhere to be seen despite the UE4 update and the new Dual Blade class. No one's even spoken about Aion these days, despite having recent releases 2/3 years prior. Lineage series is in development limbo with Project TL. City of Heroes? Died under NCSoft and revived with more players enjoying it under different circumstances. Tabula Rasa was dead on arrival and got NCSoft sued. And let's not forget the absolute trainwreck that was WildStar. 

Until ANet acknowledges how little their parent company actually cares for them, this game is gonna continue to be under the radar. Even with End of Dragons, the game as is right now barely manages to make headline news in the MMO sphere because NCSoft, even to this day, still does absolutely nothing to actually get people to acknowledge the existence of GW2. 

I validate that fully. Everytime I talk about Guild Wars 2 on the internet people are either like...

1) Whats that? There was a Guild wars 1?!

2)tHaTs StIL aLivE?!

3)because its f2p after the initial purchase they think its crap.

4) they think its a mobile niche game.

• Like 2