I wish Anet deletes my account if I ever buy another black lion key

1 hour ago, Obtena.7952 said:

Nope, but I have yet to play a video game that doesn't have a random reward element to them, and that's the complaint of the person I quoted. 

What the... you haven't played many games obviously.
There's always the question of how much of the rewards are RNG based and if the majority of important items can be acquired with certainty. Games like Dark Souls, Sekiro, Outward(apart from the last DLC, screw that DLC) have close to no meaningful items or mechanics tied to RNG. The importance of the rewards that are tied to RNG is what can make it frustrating.
Random rewards also used to be the absolute exception in competitive genres like strategy and fighting games.
And I can't remember anything that involved RNG back when I played Donkey Kong and Super Mario on the SNES.
Adventure Games like Monkey Island have no RNG whatsoever.

Edited by Malitias.8453
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, Fuchslein.8639 said:

there was once a long discussion about this. The main viewpoints of people was that Anet must also somehow finance itself and that people have their own will and do not have to buy the things ^^'' because GW2 is still humane in terms of these things.

But I find it sad when you support something like that, just because it is the only gmabling mechanic in the game.
To the rest I would say nothing. People who think, just don't do it will never understand what is behind such gambling things and the people who fall for it. Unfortunately, empathy is not widespread on the Internet.

It is not the only gambling in game, ever heard of the 2 ecto gamblers?

How about the randomized mount contracts for examples?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Obtena.7952 said:

Nope, but I have yet to play a video game that doesn't have a random reward element to them, and that's the complaint of the person I quoted. 

Only its a different beast if they hook you for rl monies. All games have random loot true, but most of those games you are not buying chances to maybe win something with money. Its just random drops ingame from monsters. personally loot boxes are a dirty tactic, but I just dont buy them, feel sorry for those that do.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Malitias.8453 said:

No, they don't. They absolutely don't.

Well there are set loot tables but that dont mean that a particular loot will drop. I never played a game that didnt have some random rotating loot table. What game are you speaking of?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Malitias.8453 said:

See my post at the top of this page.

Thats fine not the type of games i play, but you missed the point i was making completely by focusing on whether loot is random or not. The whole point was if you read it lootboxes are scummy tactics and most games i have played you dont pay money for loot boxes, all loot drops ingame. Then again I dont normally play games that have those tactics /shrug

Just now, Zuldari.3940 said:

Thats fine not the type of games i play, but you missed the point i was making completely by focusing on whether loot is random or not. The whole point was if you read it lootboxes are scummy tactics and most games i have played you dont pay money for loot boxes, all loot drops ingame. Then again I dont normally play games that have those tactics /shrug

And my point, or the one I was trying to make, is that there are plenty of games that do just fine without even including RNG-based loot in the first place. It might be a stretch, but I have the suspicion that the trend of making most rewards, even the important ones, RNG-based kind of paved the way for the rise of those scummy tactics. Again, might be a stretch, but it seems plausible to me.

30 minutes ago, Obtena.7952 said:

You can assume that if you want. I won't. Frankly, I think it's absurd to complain about 'surprise mechanics' ... but not have a problem with them if you didn't drop coin on them. 

Ah you've edited your original comment (which was "No, I can read ... That's NOT what the person I quoted said") comment and gone with some kind of vague implication that they're being disingenuous or that I've misread their statement somehow? 

Wouldn't it have been more graceful to simply say "ah yes, I misread that"? 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Malitias.8453 said:

I don't know if ANet does this, but a friend of mine who is very susceptible to gambling and wasted too much money on PoEs mystery boxes, contacted the support to disable his accounts possibility of buying them and they did that.
It's worth giving that a try, I think.

Most Game companies have this type of option available for liability reasons, but never mention it. The above person is correct. Reach out to Anet CS to explore this option.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pifil.5193 said:

Ah you've edited your original comment (which was "No, I can read ... That's NOT what the person I quoted said") comment and gone with some kind of vague implication that they're being disingenuous or that I've misread their statement somehow? 

Wouldn't it have been more graceful to simply say "ah yes, I misread that"? 

I'm not into grace, I'm into being honest. It wasn't misread ... there was no indication SPECIFIC to lootboxes in the post I quoted. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Obtena.7952 said:

You can assume that if you want. I won't. Frankly, I think it's absurd to complain about 'surprise mechanics' ... but not have a problem with them if you didn't drop coin on them. 

The term "surprise mechanics" refers to when an EA executive used that term to describe loot boxes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Obtena.7952 said:

FYI

"Surprise mechanics" was a term coined by a representative of EA before a legislative committee in England which was investigating the existence and nature of loot boxes.  The point behind the EA rep's use of the term was to create the impression that loot boxes aren't gambling.

So, @Buzzbugs.1236 chose a term that has a specific meaning in the context of loot boxes.  That term refers to loot boxes.  So, it seems likely that he meant loot boxes, not the use of random number generators in games in general, which is what you seem to be taking the term to mean.

He(?) also used the term "exploit," which adds further credence to the likelihood that he's talking about the sale of chances to roll on a random number generator, not random number generators in toto.

You are of course, free to think what you like, but I suspect the truth is that it is not random number generation that is at issue, it is that random number generation is a tool used to trick people into spending more than they would if they knew what the price for a virtual gewgaw was going to end up being.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Zuldari.3940 said:

Well there are set loot tables but that dont mean that a particular loot will drop. I never played a game that didnt have some random rotating loot table. What game are you speaking of?

Every single important drop in Baldur's gate was predefined (obtained from a specific mob/chest). There were random mob encounters, and those did drop semi-random loot, but that applied only to minor stuff.

And it was pretty much common occurence in games at that time.

Edited by Astralporing.1957
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I will never complain about my lucky again. I play this game since the beta and never dropped anything good. Until last night. Finally I felt blessed by the six.

Why are you still talking about this? It wasn't serious. Let it go. I love GW2. Best game ever,

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, Carambola.1273 said:

I will never complain about my lucky again. I play this game since the beta and never dropped anything good. Until last night. Finally I felt blessed by the six.

Why are you still talking about this? It wasn't serious. Let it go. I love GW2. Best game ever,

"Why are you still talking about this?" ?

The last post in this thread was 2 weeks ago, you're the one that brings the thread up for no reason 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

You know, I changed my mind. Keep the 'confused face' emotes. In fact, give us a 'rude face' one too. Someone in this thread demands it.

Regardless, yes, I spent gems on keys this last patch too. I didn't get the wings I wanted, but I got the cloak instead. Good enough for me.

Edited by Ardenwolfe.8590
  • Sad 2

I occasionally buy keys in bulk, just because I like collecting dyes and the other bits like the Black Lion heads can be useful for buying supplies. Is it an efficient use of gems? Probably not. Then again, it's fun enough that an occasional purchase is no biggie. If that means I am one of the shmucks that is supporting everyone else, then so be it. I am having some fun and the company gets revenue to make more content for everyone.

On 6/6/2021 at 3:49 AM, Astralporing.1957 said:

Every single important drop in Baldur's gate was predefined (obtained from a specific mob/chest). There were random mob encounters, and those did drop semi-random loot, but that applied only to minor stuff.

And it was pretty much common occurence in games at that time.

Yes, a time when games were sold once and the experience was designed to be enjoyable/rewarding/fun instead of being designed to waste time until the next update to the cash shop. To be fair, not all games are like that, but "game as a service" games sure are.

• Like 1

On 6/6/2021 at 3:36 AM, ArchonWing.9480 said:

?? 

Every time a lion key drops, I don't even get excited anymore because it's almost all crap. To go out and actually buy it. Why? It does drop normally every now and then. You can also key farm.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me for the 1000th time....

I mean if you can't understand that, you would probably have wasted your money on something else stupid anyways. Why don't you just give it to us first?

I'm the opposite. I enjoy opening chests and generally I do okay with them. Of course, by okay I don't mean that I get the mount skin du jour or the rare contract.  My expectations are a lot more reasonable.

What I do get is wardrobe unlocks. I've spent a lot of time unlocking the cheapest more reasaonable skins, so I'm always happy to get wardrobe unlocks, armor unlocks, weapon unlocks because they fill in my inventory with stuff I might like to have but wouldn't necesessarily buy. Some of that stuff is cash shop stuff, or rare times, or expensive stuff to craft. 

I'd say 90% of the time I'm happy with what I get from black lion chests.  Of course, my expectations are quite low.

• Like 1