Account Blocked For Security "Reasons"

I am posting here as a effort of last resort. I am a veteran player since launch. This evening with no explanation my account was blocked for security reasons. I've put in a ticket (8133575) and have received no response from customer service hours later. The only comment I've received from support is on a ticket from my alt account (8133457) instructing me to keep conversation regarding my main account to the ticket I opened for it. I am hoping the visibility will help get this issue resolved as there are absolutely no grounds for my account to be blocked or banned. 

• Sad 1

Here is one that never seems to be resolved, and the user appears to have never received an explanation.

Or he/she failed to update the tread with the outcome.

I hope these get resolved quickly. Because what value does security have when you cannot make use of the product?

Edited by TheQuickFox.3826

So some background. This issue started when I attempted to purchase the expansions on my alt account, dropkick.7451. I used my husbands debit card as mine is currently being replaced. We have used each others debit cards before with no issue whatsoever. When I attempted to purchase the expansions, I was blocked. I opened a ticket with CS and immediately things began to spiral out of control. Before I knew it, my main account, alphawolf.2709, was blocked with no explanation. After literally hours of back and forth with GM Skaarf, we got my main account unblocked and I was told all was well on both accounts. Wrong. I tried to purchase the expansions on my alt. Block. Tried to purchase gems on my main. Blocked. Queue GM ScarletSnow. I was anticipating with a new GM involved, things would get fixed quickly. Instead, I'm met with the same copy/pasta response I received when I FIRST put in my ticket YESTERDAY. I've since now asked for a Lead GM or Supervisor. This is disheartening. I've played this game for almost 10 years of my life and I've invested thousands of hours and dollars into it. The fact that its now in question and could be taken from me is causing me immense anxiety. Hence I didn't sleep last night and instead stayed up all night trying to fix it. Anet please fix this. I am a loyal customer and have been for a very long time. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

38 minutes ago, AlphaWolf.2709 said:

So some background. This issue started when I attempted to purchase the expansions on my alt account, dropkick.7451.

[snip]

Hence I didn't sleep last night and instead stayed up all night trying to fix it. Anet please fix this. I am a loyal customer and have been for a very long time. 

That sounds like a total nightmare. Sorry you're having to go through it. Just idle speculation on my part, but I wonder if part of this is a result of the recent duping scandal and a heightened sense of security on Anet's part as a result. At any rate, hope it's fixed soon. The anxiety would get to me too. 😟

1 hour ago, AlphaWolf.2709 said:

So some background. This issue started when I attempted to purchase the expansions on my alt account, dropkick.7451. I used my husbands debit card as mine is currently being replaced. We have used each others debit cards before with no issue whatsoever. When I attempted to purchase the expansions, I was blocked. I opened a ticket with CS and immediately things began to spiral out of control. Before I knew it, my main account, alphawolf.2709, was blocked with no explanation. After literally hours of back and forth with GM Skaarf, we got my main account unblocked and I was told all was well on both accounts. Wrong. I tried to purchase the expansions on my alt. Block. Tried to purchase gems on my main. Blocked. Queue GM ScarletSnow. I was anticipating with a new GM involved, things would get fixed quickly. Instead, I'm met with the same copy/pasta response I received when I FIRST put in my ticket YESTERDAY. I've since now asked for a Lead GM or Supervisor. This is disheartening. I've played this game for almost 10 years of my life and I've invested thousands of hours and dollars into it. The fact that its now in question and could be taken from me is causing me immense anxiety. Hence I didn't sleep last night and instead stayed up all night trying to fix it. Anet please fix this. I am a loyal customer and have been for a very long time. 

My issue (the one linked above) still isn't fixed, my account is still perma banned with no explanation and they stopped responded to my emails.

I've also played since 2012, and maybe ill try again with support when EoD comes out, but for now I've given up.

Edited by Quadox.7834

1 hour ago, Quadox.7834 said:

My issue (the one linked above) still isn't fixed, my account is still perma banned with no explanation and they stopped responded to my emails.

I've also played since 2012, and maybe ill try again with support when EoD comes out, but for now I've given up.

That's just bad, and sad. You deserve an explanation at least. Even if the ban is 100% deserved. (Which I ofc. do not know if it is)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AlphaWolf.2709 said:

Sounds a bit like this disaster:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrFivzflBoo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKT8BrvNdkg

BDO Support

Edited by TheQuickFox.3826

Update 2: 

Both accounts have been banned, unbanned, banned again, and unbanned again. Keep being told its ok to purchase gems and the expansions then the process starts over again. GM tells me to purchase, it doesn't go through, I'm banned, have to plead with Anet to unban me, GM says its fixed and to try again, start all over. I've now went through 3 GMS, GM Skaarf, GM ScarletWinter, and GM Oreo Flurry. This is insanity. I'm prepared to give up and just not give Anet any more of my money.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

32 minutes ago, AlphaWolf.2709 said:

Update 3:

Tried on both accounts to use a debit card that is in my name. Result? Blocked. Again. 

This feels like discrimination. 

Your card might be flaged by digital river so you probabely need a new card or paypal maybe?

• Like 2

16 hours ago, AlphaWolf.2709 said:

Update 2: 

Both accounts have been banned, unbanned, banned again, and unbanned again. Keep being told its ok to purchase gems and the expansions then the process starts over again. GM tells me to purchase, it doesn't go through, I'm banned, have to plead with Anet to unban me, GM says its fixed and to try again, start all over. I've now went through 3 GMS, GM Skaarf, GM ScarletWinter, and GM Oreo Flurry. This is insanity. I'm prepared to give up and just not give Anet any more of my money.

Try to buy gems / expansions via a retailer instead, as it may be safer in your situation:

These retailers may have stock if you're in Europe. For other regions there were other retailers.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/get-20-off-guild-wars-2-gem-cards-in-europe/

Please note that the 20% off promotion is over.

• Confused 1

On 6/6/2021 at 12:00 AM, AlphaWolf.2709 said:

Update 2: 

Make a paypal account and put that card on it and use that, doing the same thing and expecting different results is the exact definition of insanity.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shieldbash.5304 said:

Make a paypal account and put that card on it and use that, doing the same thing and expecting different results is the exact definition of insanity.

Not sure what part of they continue to tell me to "retry" you're not understanding, but I follow instructions given to me by the people who own the product. Your comment here was completely unhelpful and honestly I could have went without it. kthxbai.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, AlphaWolf.2709 said:

Not sure what part of they continue to tell me to "retry" you're not understanding, but I follow instructions given to me by the people who own the product. Your comment here was completely unhelpful and honestly I could have went without it. kthxbai.

My comment is a work around, instead of doing the same thing over and over and coming to the forums, why not try another solution that seems to work for many people.

Rude, K thanks pound sand!

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

8 hours ago, AlphaWolf.2709 said:

So you spoken to digitalriver that may have flaged you card for fraudilent purchases and are now telling anet to block your account?

Well should be fine then.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Joote.4081 said:

This is very worrying  When you have put countless hours and hundreds if not thousands of pounds/dollars into a game that they can block your account without a care, warning or explanation.  It's virtually a criminal act..

You might want to read those terms of service now which you obviously skipped the first time around.

@topic creator (AlphaWolf.2709)

As indirectly mentioned by Linken.6345. The payment provider for Guild Wars 2 is Digital River. If they flag your purchases for what ever reason all the developer/studio sees on their end is the denial of payment. Any advice the CS staff give you is obviously based on your payments going through.

Edited by Cyninja.2954
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Cyninja.2954 said:

You might want to read those terms of service now which you obviously skipped the first time around.

I definitely appreciate your point here, but TOSes aren't the end all and be all of dispute resolution. Just because a company reserves the right to terminate service without notice or reason doesn't mean a paying customer has zero options but to accept it and move on.

For example, Washington State's Office of the Attorney General has an entire consumer affairs department that operates based on one line in the Revised Code of Washington, which reads: "Unfair methods of competition and unfair or deceptive acts or practices in the conduct of any trade or commerce are hereby declared unlawful."

If a user as a customer feels they are being treated unfairly, or being deceived, they can lodge a complaint with the AG's office even if that company reserves all rights. Just because something is written in a contract to which multiple parties agree doesn't necessarily mean those terms are legal. 

Just to be clear, I'm not a lawyer, and I'm certainly not trying to imply that ArenaNet OR the OP has done anything that merits any sort of dispute resolution outside of the ANet/user agreement. I'm just saying that a company doesn't have the legal right to treat its customers however it wants just because it claims it does in the TOS.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Danger Ferret.6342 said:

I definitely appreciate your point here, but TOSes aren't the end all and be all of dispute resolution. Just because a company reserves the right to terminate service without notice or reason doesn't mean a paying customer has zero options but to accept it and move on.

For example, Washington State's Office of the Attorney General has an entire consumer affairs department that operates based on one line in the Revised Code of Washington, which reads: "Unfair methods of competition and unfair or deceptive acts or practices in the conduct of any trade or commerce are hereby declared unlawful."

If a user as a customer feels they are being treated unfairly, or being deceived, they can lodge a complaint with the AG's office even if that company reserves all rights. Just because something is written in a contract to which multiple parties agree doesn't necessarily mean those terms are legal. 

Just to be clear, I'm not a lawyer, and I'm certainly not trying to imply that ArenaNet OR the OP has done anything that merits any sort of dispute resolution outside of the ANet/user agreement. I'm just saying that a company doesn't have the legal right to treat its customers however it wants just because it claims it does in the TOS.

Oh absolutely, but if you actually delved a bit deeper you would soon realize that to actually prove "unfair methods of competition, etc." is not a simply "I said so thus it must true" affair. Especially against a company which interacts with millions of customers successfully (and you have to realize that you might not be privy to information they have as to why you were banned which could be later used against you which was not disclosed as to protect other customers and the company).

Terms of service have been disputed in the past, and most importantly depending on where in the world you live, the ToS and EULA are not allowed to actually circumvent your law given consumer rights (at least that's how it is in the EU). Now you can take your chances in challenging these terms, which were likely written, updated and managed by actual legal experts, and in some cases this was successful. Or you can accept that fact that this immediate forum warrior approach to "oh this must be illegal" (or the just as often statement:"I'll sue!") is bogus and often unreasonable.

That's without getting into the dozens of "innocent" players who just by accident had software running which they were not allowed to on the one hand, as well as developer mistakes on the other hand (both cases have happened in this game in the past).

Edited by Cyninja.2954
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, Cyninja.2954 said:

Oh absolutely, but if you actually delved a bit deeper you would soon realize that to actually prove "unfair methods of competition, etc." is not a simply "I said so thus it must true" affair. Especially against a company which interacts with millions of customers successfully (and you have to realize that you might not be privy to information they have as to why you were banned which could be later used against you which was not disclosed as to protect other customers and the company).

Terms of service have been disputed in the past, and most importantly depending on where in the world you live, the ToS and EULA are not allowed to actually circumvent your law given consumer rights (at least that's how it is in the EU). Now you can take your chances in challenging these terms, which were likely written, updated and managed by actual legal experts, and in some cases this was successful. Or you can accept that fact that this immediate forum warrior approach to "oh this must be illegal" (or the just as often statement:"I'll sue!") is bogus and often unreasonable.

That's without getting into the dozens of "innocent" players who just by accident had software running which they were not allowed to on the one hand, as well as developer mistakes on the other hand (both cases have happened in this game in the past).

I never indicated an "I said so thus it must be true" affair was taking place, and it seems obvious that not all complaints have merit, which is a main reason why contract law is such a lucrative business. Sure, a company could have "the goods" on me, but it's hard for me to imagine a situation where they would know something about my behavior I don't, so I should already know what they could produce in discovery that might embarrass me or weaken my position.

US law is similar to EU law in this respect. Any contract or clause of a contract that demands a signatory sign away their rights isn't legally binding, which is why contracts ask signatories to waive rights instead. But if they amount to the same thing then I believe the law treats the clause as also non-binding, though I can't swear to it.

Surely, legal experts know more about the law than non-experts. One reason why I said "I'm not a lawyer" in my initial response. But I've disputed against attorneys on matters of contract law before and won, so being a legal expert doesn't make one's position necessarily right either. I'm sure you're aware some legal experts use the law to gain an advantage over others, rather than to apply the it fairly.

In the US at least, lodging a complaint with the AGs office isn't instigating a lawsuit. It's simply stating: this happened to me, here is the evidence of it, and my position is that this was unlawful in some way. There is no backlash against the filer of the complaint, and in many cases, any backlash as the result of the complaint could itself be illegal if traceable. Everyone has the right to dispute resolution under the law; parties offended by complaints don't have the right to revenge. So really, filing a complaint isn't taking any sort of a chance at all, other than having the AG's office say, "You don't have a case." The only way anything would come out in court as the result of filing a complaint would be if the AG's office (in this particular hypothetical) were to find the complaint had enough merit that a suit was brought. And in THAT case, it's the state suing the offending business; not the individual.

One thing I will add: it's unclear to me whether a customer of ANet can contact Digital River directly regarding their payments being blocked, since Anet's customer isn't a direct customer of Digital River as far as I know, but they might be able to. I've just never had a billing problem that made anything like that necessary. But hypothetically, deviating from what a company's customer service department advises a consumer to do to resolve the situation could result in a situation where - should dispute resolution ever be necessary - the company could just say, "Well, we tried to help the consumer, but they didn't follow our recommendations, so we were unable to resolve the issue."

What seems to have sparked this conversation was the OP taking umbrage at being charged with acting insanely for doing what CS is asking them to do. BTW, "doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results" isn't the definition of insanity as another poster claimed; it's merely Einstein's definition and clever. The actual definition is: a state of mind which prevents normal perception, behavior, or social interaction; seriously mentally ill. Which is what I fear we'll do to the OP if we continue to drift off-topic (which is mostly my fault... so apologies).

Again, just to be clear, not implying anything about ArenaNet or the OP in terms of guilt or innocence.

Edited by Danger Ferret.6342

2 minutes ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

They sort of are a direct customer of Digital River...at least when purchasing through ArenaNet. 

Digital River, Inc. is the authorized reseller and merchant of the products and services offered within this store.

And, yes, players have contacted Digital River regarding payment issues.

Cool. It's good to know players can contact them directly about payment issues. Hopefully, between ANet and DR, the situation gets resolved soonest.