Account Blocked For Security "Reasons"

Wow... so i can possibly spend a lot of money and time in this game and eventually just get locked out with no reason OR ability to get your account back??? That sounds super legal under EU law....

Update I've lost count: 

Both of my accounts are, currently, active again but still unable to purchase anything from the gem store. My husbands account, Altair.2846, is now blocked without explanation. I suspect its because he too has used our debit cards to buy gems. 

To the previous posts regarding the legality of this, I am already speaking to counsel as I believe its discrimination and a violation of fair access practices. More to come. 

• ArenaNet Staff

Hello, I've been looking into this for you to see if I can figure out what's going on. Customer Support has let me know that you're all clear on our side, and we're working with Digital River to get you all sorted out. Thank you for reaching out to support for this, and we're sorry it's taking so long. 

• Thanks 2
1 minute ago, Fire Attunement.9835 said:

Hello, I've been looking into this for you to see if I can figure out what's going on. Customer Support has let me know that you're all clear on our side, and we're working with Digital River to get you all sorted out. Thank you for reaching out to support for this, and we're sorry it's taking so long. 

My husbands account, altair.2846 is still blocked. He has opened ticket 8147607 for this issue. 

• ArenaNet Staff
46 minutes ago, AlphaWolf.2709 said:

My husbands account, altair.2846 is still blocked. He has opened ticket 8147607 for this issue. 

Thanks for that note, I gave Customer Support a heads up to be sure they know that's related. 

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

Update: 

Its been basically an entire day that my husbands account has been blocked. No response on his ticket. I emailed on my ticket given the issues are likely related and was told more or less to bugger off and mind my own business. 

Edited by AlphaWolf.2709
Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, AlphaWolf.2709 said:

Update: 

Its been basically an entire day that my husbands account has been blocked. No response on his ticket. I emailed on my ticket given the issues are likely related and was told more or less to bugger off and mind my own business. 

That sucks. The excellent employees who participate in these forums aside, ANet isn't really known as having a corporate culture that cares about maintaining good relationships with its players, as some pretty remarkable press releases will indicate. My first ticket about progress-halting bugs and disconnects didn't even merit a response. I was sent a "Hey! How did our CS do?" questionnaire some days later, and had to respond with "What CS?"

On the other hand,  I've seen some really nasty things said about devs/Anet in this forum (not by you, but just in general) be met with a very measured and considerate response, so it could just be a case of both sides thinking the grass is always meaner on the other side of the fence.

I hope this situation gets resolved quickly. Apparently, it was CS that told you to post in the forums. Having this problem linger isn't a good look, and since this seems to happen somewhat regularly, it makes me extremely wary of spending any more money on GW2 when it could all be taken away for no apparent reason, then restored .... when?

Edited by Danger Ferret.6342

To be fair, the CS policy is not to discuss any account-holder's case with another person.  It is a security issue.  I'm sure none of us would want our issues discussed with another person who could just be saying they are related.  Or, even if they were actually related, the CS Team has no idea what kind of relationship exists between the two.  Could be a vengeful ex-wife/husband/partner or, well, anything. 

• Thanks 2
On 6/8/2021 at 6:55 PM, Fire Attunement.9835 said:

Unban me thanks!!

16 hours ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

To be fair, the CS policy is not to discuss any account-holder's case with another person.  It is a security issue.  I'm sure none of us would want our issues discussed with another person who could just be saying they are related.  Or, even if they were actually related, the CS Team has no idea what kind of relationship exists between the two.  Could be a vengeful ex-wife/husband/partner or, well, anything. 

That's a sensible policy. Pretty much a standard for any company not to discuss a customer's private business with that company with anyone other than that customer. It just seems strange they would direct people to the forums on billing issues, since other than saying, "That happened to me too," or "I've never had that problem," it's something none of us could fix.

3 hours ago, Danger Ferret.6342 said:

That's a sensible policy. Pretty much a standard for any company not to discuss a customer's private business with that company with anyone other than that customer. It just seems strange they would direct people to the forums on billing issues, since other than saying, "That happened to me too," or "I've never had that problem," it's something none of us could fix.

Pretty sure the CS Team does not direct players to post on the forums for Billing issues, nor has the OP stated they did. 

8 minutes ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Pretty sure the CS Team does not direct players to post on the forums for Billing issues, nor has the OP stated they did. 

Oops. You are correct on that second bit and I apologize. I must have conflated this issue with another. Sorry for muddying the waters.