Having awful taste in fashion should be a bannable offense.

2 hours ago, Aodlop.1907 said:

I'd argue the world would probably be a better place of philosophical debates weren't expected to be contained in dedicated environments, but instead could happen anywhere, at any time. There's never a bad time to work on your critical thinking skills.

Declaring oneself correct on all counts because a dead German guy wrote something once isn't exercising critical thinking; it's just claiming a well-known underpinning for your own convictions.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Aodlop.1907 said:

Taste might be subjective, but beauty isn't.

At first you were just kidding ... now I see the serious side of the thread and you are wrong. Not because your appeal to 'beauty can be objectively measured' might be right philosophically ....

.... but because people aren't required to be 'beautiful' to whatever this standard is in their choices to play the game. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Aodlop.1907 said:

So much customization in this game. And what do players come up with?

Permafrost & Abyssal dyes + awful glowy infusions + legendary weapon and backpack that don't match with anything. 

I should be able to report people with awful taste.

Can you please share your character designs?

I mean, how else are all these unfashionable crétin going to know what's fashionable in a game? 🙂

• Like 3

5 hours ago, lokh.2695 said:

"How dare you like what I don't like!!!!!" - the Thread.

Also, the "I am so much better and smarter than everyone else" thread.  See also mention of Kant, etc.

ETA:  My bald Asura Engineer dressed as a dapper Victorian gentleman, not beautiful???  LIES!!!

Edited by Witch of Doom.5739
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, Witch of Doom.5739 said:

Also, the "I am so much better and smarter than everyone else" thread.  See also mention of Kant, etc.

No kidding. The OP is trying to act like he's all high-brow about this. 

I can't help but roll my eyes. Like bruh, you're a a video game forum trying to talk about what kind of pixels your character shows. It really isn't that deep.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Witch of Doom.5739 said:

My bald Asura Engineer dressed as a dapper Victorian gentleman, not beautiful???  LIES!!!

It can look good, as long as you didn't just slap your most expensive dyes on it at random, and picked matching weapons and back pieces.

42 minutes ago, xoxin.8326 said:

Like bruh, you're a a video game forum trying to talk about what kind of pixels your character shows. It really isn't that deep.  

That's subjective.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

24 minutes ago, Aodlop.1907 said:

It can look good, as long as you didn't just slap your most expensive dyes on it at random, and picked matching weapons and back pieces.

Oh, thank you SO MUCH for that validation!  I'm SO GLAD that you, as a representative of The Fashion Police, have given me and others PERMISSION of what we can and can't do in the game.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, Aodlop.1907 said:

Yes. I suggest you read Kant, on beauty and intersubjectivity. It's a pretty interesting read, and I'm sure it will make you reevaluate and question some deeply rooted convictions of yours. 

Also a racist, with European bias, so while his philosophy may be of interest and influence, not necessarily the most objective on beauty.  Also forums aren't really the place for it.

And yes, tests have been done with babies to see what faces they find interesting, often it's symmetrical ones.  Does this mean that babies think those are the most beautiful?  Hardly.  They like their parents too, even if they look like under the bridge trolls.  They eat off the floor.  Perhaps not the best gauge of human beauty.  

Meanwhile, back in Tyria...some of you out there definitely have some eyesores, to many people, but to each their own.  I don't expect you to adore my aesthetics either *shrug*

• Like 7
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, Aodlop.1907 said:

So much customization in this game. And what do players come up with?

Permafrost & Abyssal dyes + awful glowy infusions + legendary weapon and backpack that don't match with anything. 

I should be able to report people with awful taste.

You said a few things after this leaning on Kant as your pillar, and I applaud you for having done the reading and applied the logic to this situation.  However, I don't believe that Kant is a strong argument in this conversation.

5 hours ago, Aodlop.1907 said:

Yes. I suggest you read Kant, on beauty and intersubjectivity. It's a pretty interesting read, and I'm sure it will make you reevaluate and question some deeply rooted convictions of yours. 

So, I am going to suggest you google and read "The Vinegar Tasters".  This story depicted in painting pits Confucianism, Buddhism and Taoist philosophy head to head in how each views the natural order of the world.  This can be applied to this topic of beauty and taste and perhaps it will offer you another way to consider your Kant leanings and this topic.

TL;DR

The vinegar is only sour or bitter if you choose to experience it that way through comparisons or resentment. The vinegar is simply what it is, and when you accept and appreciate that, the negative becomes sweet.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

That's subjective, too. 

Whether it's subjective or not is entirely subjective.

25 minutes ago, Witch of Doom.5739 said:

Oh, thank you SO MUCH for that validation!  I'm SO GLAD that you, as a representative of The Fashion Police, have given me and others PERMISSION of what we can and can't do in the game.

You're welcome.

1 minute ago, Farohna.6247 said:

Also a racist

Like nearly all intellectuals at the time you mean? If a racist starts saying that the Earth is round, will you become a flat-earther as a consequence?

Silly remark. If you want to question an argument, you do so by dissecting that argument and explaining why it's logically flawed, you don't casually dismiss it by pointing out something that's completely unrelated and doesn't impact the relevance to the argument in the slightest. 

2 minutes ago, Farohna.6247 said:

with European bias

Which is entirely justified. Europe strikes the best balance between technological and artistical progresss, human rights and healthy living conditions. Countries like Japan surpass us here and there, but at the cost of the health and mental well-being of its citizens, to the point where they even have a word for dying due to overwork ("Karoshi", has its own English wikipedia page). 

Having an "European biais" is common sense since, at the end of day, living conditions in other continents simply do not match ours. You don't want to live in China or India, nor in any African or Middle-Eastern country, especially if you're on the LGBT spectrum. As for the US, well, hope you didn't like healthcare that much anyway ; besides, for being the "melting pot" of the world, it sure has a lot of race relation issues.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Mungo Zen.9364 said:

The vinegar is only sour or bitter if you choose to experience it that way through comparisons or resentment.

No, vinegar isn't "subjectively" sour as a result of our comparison, it's objectively sour because it's composed of organic acids, mainly acetic acid. Those acid aren't going to disappear just because we lock an individual in a room, force him to eat only vinegar and nothing else to the point where they have 0 comparison. They're an objective property of the object. 

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Aodlop.1907 said:

No, vinegar isn't "subjectively" sour as a result of our comparison, it's objectively sour because it's composed of organic acids, mainly acetic acid. Those acid aren't going to disappear just because we lock an individual in a room, force him to eat only vinegar and nothing else to the point where they have 0 comparison. They're an objective property of the object. 

You didn't look it up to read the full version eh.  That is okay, when you are ready it will be waiting for you.  

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Fuchslein.8639 said:

Isn't it funny how he ignores all the comments asking for pictures of his chars?

Those are the best, telling others they are ugly but not having a profile picture themselves :).

That's because it's entirely pointless. Resentment will be n°1 factor in deciding whether my characters look good or not.

I'm not concerned with your opinion. I've risen to the top of the GW2 Dye job subreddit multiple times, and I therefore already have all the validation I can possibly need.

Now, I suggest you conduct an experiment. Go ahead and criticize anything: a dish, a song, a book - and then share your own taste with the angry mob you just provoked. It doesn't matter what you like, you can be sure people WILL criticize it, because all they care about is getting back at you. 

When criticizing other people's taste, never share your own. Defending them will be pointless: people don't care about being right, they just want you to be wrong - at any cost. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Hello :)

Just wanna share my opinion about OP Thread : 

I agree with him on the fact that is way to much glowy thing to my own taste.

That said, unlike ESO where we had to see them anyway we go in a populated town, here we've an option to make all player with basic tenue which help to avoid this.

So, I don't mind. People are free to look how they love.

I myself made char with particular look that I find cool but I'm sur many people won't like it because of different taste, not a big deal ^^

(also want to see OP char :p)

That said, do we have a "char showroom on this forum ? It's always fun to see idea from everyone ^^

• Like 1