Remember when no one wanted mounts?

Not that these systems would be bad in EoD, but I feel like they wouldn't be nearly as impactful as mounts were. I saw some pretty good suggestions on the thread asking what the masteries should be. I'm not talking about player housing or companion systems either. I think they should parse through that thread. the systems you suggest be welcome on my end for sure, but I probably would not engage them.

Edited by Firebeard.1746

To be honest, I think the developers have done an amazing job of integrating mounts into the game. Every type of mount has a function in the game that can not be replaced by any other mount (except maybe the skyscale replacing the bunny). Most zones outside of Tyria provide some interesting challenges for mounts in certain places as well. Since I came back to this game a few months ago, I've managed to acquire a raptor, a bunny, a skimmer, a jackal, a skyscale and just recently a griffon. I have had fun with all of them and on some days, I log in just to play with them a bit and see what kind of interesting places I can get into. It has been a lot of fun and hopefully, when the new expansion rolls in, there will be more fun to be had, exploring all sorts of silly places.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Arnox.5128 said:

While I will agree that there were a lot of people at the time who did want mounts, there were also a lot of people at the time who didn't. OP isn't necessarily lying. I distinctly remember the 15-page long threads about them. Popular arguments against them included cluttering the city areas and waypoints making them entirely redundant.

I’ll take your word for it. 😊

Edited by Ardenwolfe.8590

5 hours ago, Donari.5237 said:

I am with you on that -- but.  BUT.  Not only must there be auto-decline, there must also be a way to render duelists and their effects invisible to non-duelists who don't wish to see them.  Because in every game I've played with open world dueling, the duelists have descended on crafting stations, npc quest turn in locations, banks, anywhere people like to hang out not fighting stuff, in order to spam their duel pixel explosions all over the place.  And if, say, rp'ers head off to a quiet area in an open map somewhere, griefers will come fight duels on top of the rp.  Not speculation, long experience.

*turns to the OP* So if you want to be able to duel, and ANet does find a way to make it fun and technically viable with their engine, then please accept that your duel and your requests to duel should be utterly invisible to non-participants. ... hmm ... maybe they could implement some sort of phase shift where you and your opponent just fall into an instance for the duration of the duel and anyone wanting to observe can interact with the little mote left behind to join.  Though of course then you'd lose your place on the map you had been in, if it's full of people waiting for a big event.  And there'd be a pile of annoying motes.  ... needs more thought.

Anet have already solved most of those problems by permitting duelling only in appropriate arenas (in guild halls, and various PvP and WvW maps) where it's not in the way of other activities.

My best guess is people who continue to ask Anet to add something which already exists aren't aware of the arenas and need help finding them. Maybe they could design a system where when you're in a party/squad you get an 'invite to duel' button and when you push it you can choose from the available arenas and be taken there (probably best to exclude the Armistice Bastion since it costs gems to access) and then the rest of your party will receive a prompt to join you (just like going into dungeons and other instances).

If anyone wants to watch the duel they can simply join the party (or squad) and then pick the appropriate spectator option when they get there.

It's almost like Anet was rewarded for adding mounts to the game. They didn't have to make them good either, yet they made them unique and fun to use. Anet should listen to the players more so everyone has fun.

I wanted mounts after doing map completion the first time. PoF made GW2 a perfect game. That is until the skin release. However, people are putting down cash for them and that helps the game. I won't get any skins beyond one per mount, because of the mounting glitch. That's the way it is.

2 hours ago, aspirine.6852 said:

I would not mind having no mounts in EOD. Mounts trivialise a lot of things in this game. 

I'm not sure that I can agree with your statement.  Nothing requires you from using mounts in any current areas with the exception of PoF.

• Like 1

GW2 at Launch I remember everyone wanting mounts, including myself, but I remember it always being laughed at cause my main is Char, so it'd be a big cat riding a bigger animal xD 

Yet, not only did we eventually get mounts, its the best mounts that are in any game on the market. The design is SO good. I constantly use every different mount for different things. But also, so many use the default skins... 

This post just seems like a post to yell, "give us dueling" That'd be like them giving us an inspect option 

• Like 3

There already exists a game mode for dueling.  Seems that is not so popular as open world PvE.  Maybe there aren't as many GW2 players who want to duel which is why the population in PvP struggles?  Maybe Anet realizes this and caters to the group that brings them the most financial return?  Why, then, incorporate yet another dueling mode when it would appear that a sizeable portion of the player base prefers not to duel?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

There already exists a game mode for dueling.  Seems that is not so popular as open world PvE.  Maybe there aren't as many GW2 players who want to duel which is why the population in PvP struggles?  Maybe Anet realizes this and caters to the group that brings them the most financial return?  Why, then, incorporate yet another dueling mode when it would appear that a sizeable portion of the player base prefers not to duel?

Doesn't help that both the PvP and WvW communities constantly complain about being on "Sinking Ships" and "Garbage Gamemodes", with an obligatory "Thanks ANET" thrown in every match/hour. All of which ends up deterring new player participation. Can't count the amount of times I've read something along the lines of "****ing Warclaw/Legendary farmers gtfo and make room for someone who actually knows how to play" in the WvW chat, regardless of whether or not they are there for that purpose.

Not saying Anet couldn't do a better job maintaining these gamemodes, but I am saying the community sure as hell aren't helping retaining their numbers.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Those of us who play PvE and never come to the Heart of the Mists to visit you, those of us who rather pay 2-3 gold per sPvP potion than participating in a single "blue wins, meet at blue, swap teams after"-game, would definitely not jump into duels. So who do you want to lure into sPvP with this? The Achievers would do the same as they did with the Warclaw, collect and leave the instant they are done.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

22 hours ago, Ardenwolfe.8590 said:

"Remember when no one wanted mounts?"

Not really.

The anti-mounters were pretty vocal, something something GW2 is not WoW blah blah then they put a spin on it made them even better than in other MMOs now all you hear is crickets from the nay-sayers. Because if it has been in another MMO and it sucked, then it must suck if its implemented into GW2. I see the same people against fishing and things like that. I know their logic so I know they were against mounts too xD

• Confused 2

18 hours ago, Mil.3562 said:

So troll ganking and spawn camp ganking in WvW is not enough? Even with four large maps there? Now you want ganking in PvE too? No.

Is "duel" in the room with you right now? Breath deeply, it will be fine.

On 6/7/2021 at 10:38 AM, Razor.6392 said:

BRING DUELING AND GUILD WARS ALREADY ANET, IT'S BEEN TOO kitten LONG

We already have that... it's called PvP and EOTM Arena. You must have missed the update.

That said, I still don't care about the mounts. It took me ages just to get Skyscale because I just didn't see the need for it. Do I use it? Sure, but only because I'm lazy. If mounts were to disappear tomorrow, it wouldn't affect me at all.

I refuse to ever get a Mount Skin. Any I might have gotten were free from an unlock or such.

Edited by Bristingr.5034
  • Thanks 1