How Do I Complete The Replay of "Caithe's Reconnaissance"?

So I completed the instance, the chopper arrived and I ended back at Camp Resolve and read the letter from Marjory.

Now what?

According to the Wiki you're supposed to talk to Tactician Envoltt to complete the mission .. where is he?  He's supposed to be in Resolve but there's no usual green 'star' marking him and I've run round for the last 10 mins and failed to find him.

The step is still showing as not done in the Silverwastes 1 achievement.

Another re-play bug (like the Llamas) or am I missing something?

[edit]

So I found him, but he's nothing to say, he's not completing the mission.

Edited by Kraggy.4169
  • Like 1

Thanks, that was the page I was looking at to find him .. I didn't notice how large an area the orange circle covered and eventually I went over to where he is.

As I just updated my OP, I found him but he isn't completing the mission. 😞

[edit]

NVM, I just saw a 3+ page thread in Bugs about this problem.

Edited by Kraggy.4169
  • Like 1

Did you just replay the instance or did you follow the storyline to complete it? It didn't work for me the first time I played the instance but when I played through the episode naturally up to the instance it worked. I'm not really sure why this specific achievement is weird, playing the instance and skipping through the story has worked for all of the other ones 😞

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Kraggy.4169 said:

I found him but he isn't completing the mission. 😞

Well, Asura are also world-class jerks.

I did a bit of sniffing around on the net, and according to Reddit, he'll refuse to talk to you or complete the mission unless your active story step is Caithe's Reconnaissance Squad - essentially, if you switch to any other part of the story, it won't complete and you'll have to do it all again to get back to that point. Or so say the people of Reddit. This tracks, because I'd also been hearing you couldn't just skip to instances to complete this week's activities.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ornitha.5862 said:

Did you just replay the instance or did you follow the storyline to complete it? It didn't work for me the first time I played the instance but when I played through the episode naturally up to the instance it worked. I'm not really sure why this specific achievement is weird, playing the instance and skipping through the story has worked for all of the other ones 😞

Seems to me it's another bug likely caused by a developer implementing the replay using the purple marker mechanism without actually understanding how the original mission scripts worked .. in this case the mission doesn't end when you're forcibly removed from the instance and my guess is that the script that's supposed to trigger the final NPC isn't being played with this replay event.

Edited by Kraggy.4169
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Kraggy.4169 said:

Seems to me it's another bug likely caused by a developer implementing the replay using the purple marker mechanism without actually understanding how the original mission scripts worked .. in this case the mission doesn't end when you're forcibly removed from the instance and my guess is that the script that's supposed to trigger the final NPC isn't being played with this replay event.

That is correct. It has worked like that for over 6 years.

This "Bug" is happening when people try to skip the story and just play the required missions thru the purple stars. The thing is that those are for completing the instanced achievements and not for progressing the story. The story is not finished until you leave the instance and talk to the asura. But you can't speak to the asura in open world because you have not done the open world part of the story up to that point.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/topic/96659-game-update-notes-june-8-2021/?do=findComment&comment=1383207

Bug Fixes: Fixed an issue that prevented certain bright-colored dyes from applying correctly on the Royal Anubis Jackal Skin. Fixed an issue that prevented the Return to Caithe's Reconnaissance Squad achievement from completing when players replayed the Caithe's Reconnaissance Squad story instance.

• Thanks 1