I got painfully owned by a condi soulbeast :(

frareanselm.1925

I play the explosive holosmith build for wvw, I'm having a lot of fun and I think its good for roaming.

I usually feel that fights I'm into are balanced, but what has happened today humiliated me so much. I'm a experienced player , and never got so owned since deadeye sniper oneshot everybody before it got fixed.

I've encountered the same soulbeast 3 times and he anihilated me like if I was paper.

He was wearing the infamous overpowered Iboga of course, dagger and shortbow. in 3 seconds I was overwhelmed with so much conditions that i couldnt do anything about it, not even healing or cleansing.

How can I countepart this class? Is the SB so broken? Why anet dont fix it?

I wear maraudets with knight trinkets and dura runes. The build called explosive roamer from metabatel.

Edited by frareanselm.1925

Have you ever met someone you annihilated 3 times in a row, or at the very least beat without them having much of a chance? Since you think its good for roaming and is experienced, presumably you have. Otherwise it wouldnt be very good for roaming. How do you think they felt meeting you?

There is thousands of players in WvW. Someone will always be better than you. Someone will always bring a build they know better than you. That condi sb have probably gotten roflstomped by others.

Personally I have little issues countering most soulbeasts while on my core condi engineer, its the bunker druids that can be immortal slugfests.

Edited by Dawdler.8521
  • Like 1

I'm sorry for your experience. People should stop to cry and ask for nerfs, they should learn how to play their class. The Engineer is in a very good position in relation to many classes, including the Ranger. I won 90% of the rangers playing as an engineer. Please understand that there is an option to defeat every class with suitable build. You cannot play in one build and kill everyone and everything. Learn to create your own build for different cases.

I wish you good luck

Edited by Sea Wolf.7368
  • Haha 1

Getting Condi-bombed as an engi surely is a problem - even more so since resistance got nerfed.

If you have legy armor or can build a second set you might try out the following:

spec into "Inventions", if you didnt do that already: Overshield (1), Mecha Legs (3), Anticorosion Plating

equip a shield

take the med kit: key skills being: f1, 3 and 5 (to some degree)

Sigil of Cleansing in your weapon

Now you have a bunch of skills that remove (small amounts of) condis:

F1: 2x1 thru Cleansing Energy & Anticorrosion Plating + Reconstruction Enclosure (Inventions)

Med Kit 3: 5x1

Shield Skills: Overshield + Reconstruction Enclosure (Inventions)

Sup. Sigil of Cleansing: 3

Anything else that grants Protection

Prismatic Converter (Holo)

Holo Leap + Crystal Configuration: Zephyr (Holo, removes only movement imparing Condis)

Food: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Bowl_of_Spiced_Red_Lentil_Stew

And now for the best: Superior Rune of the Antitoxin

(1): +25 Condition Damage
(2): -5% Incoming Condition Duration
(3): +50 Condition Damage
(4): -10% Incoming Condition Duration
(5): +100 Condition Damage
(6): -10% Incoming Condition Duration. Incoming condition cleanses remove an additional condition.

This way all your small instances of single condi cleanses double up! Also, thx to mecha legs and the -25% Condi duration reduction, all instances of chill, immobilize (Entangle!) and cripple will be reduced by 58%. And even if these condis dont directly kill you, they will waste your cleanses ("cover condis") and if they're drastically shortened, your cleanses will hit the bleeds and confusions more often.
If you wanna pick ascended food you can also pick the one, which reduces condi duration by another 20% instead of the condi remove on dodge (Lentil Stew)

Of course you dont have to pick all of the above, but remember that certain traits and skillls only work when thy synergize or picked together

Edited by CHEVAL.5947
  • Like 3

Add more cleanse and vitality to your build, you are facing a tank build with a paper glass cannon. 

You would be overpowered no matter your enemy is as long as they go for condition. Condition sets are pretty broken when they not only gives high damage output but also armor and vitality so they are also a counter to power based builds. 

I would say this is not an issue of soulbeast but of the condition sets. And a long standing problem that is. 

18 hours ago, frareanselm.1925 said:

I play the explosive holosmith build for wvw, I'm having a lot of fun and I think its good for roaming.

I usually feel that fights I'm into are balanced, but what has happened today humiliated me so much. I'm a experienced player , and never got so owned since deadeye sniper oneshot everybody before it got fixed.

I've encountered the same soulbeast 3 times and he anihilated me like if I was paper.

He was wearing the infamous overpowered Iboga of course, dagger and shortbow. in 3 seconds I was overwhelmed with so much conditions that i couldnt do anything about it, not even healing or cleansing.

How can I countepart this class? Is the SB so broken? Why anet dont fix it?

I wear maraudets with knight trinkets and dura runes. The build called explosive roamer from metabatel.

We don't know if you're even using Healing turret to cleanse 2 condis every time but either way, you shouldn't really lose to a condi sb while using a holo, that soulbeast basically has nothing outside couple of evades and tankiness, he was playing with Iboga so really a gimmick build with little defenses. You should have abused the CC spam with shield while setting up grenade burst and more and all this while playing without suitable utilities to face condi builds.

Condi sb is one of the worst condi builds roaming build atm, I can't see you beating good condi herald, corrupt reapers, fire weaver/tempest, core necros or PU condi mirage if you lose to condi sb.

We don't know all the specifics now except your enemy playing shortbow/dagger condi sb with iboga so : no blocks, no leaps(dagger main hand or off hand?) , possibly he was playing with dolyak stance and lightning reflexes plus entangle so....it should be easy to CC especially is using engi shield with which, you're supposed to block the shortbow pewpew so...really can't see how that sb won without massively outplaying you, this is a clear L2P issue

You have access to 1200 range grenade barrage + chill+explosive entrance, barrier etc etc......sorry man you've got massively outplayed, you lost against an iboga sb shortbow while using one of the strongest roaming specs in WvW atm, a meta build

28 minutes ago, anduriell.6280 said:

Add more cleanse and vitality to your build, you are facing a tank build with a paper glass cannon. 

You would be overpowered no matter your enemy is as long as they go for condition. Condition sets are pretty broken when they not only gives high damage output but also armor and vitality so they are also a counter to power based builds. 

I would say this is not an issue of soulbeast but of the condition sets. And a long standing problem that is. 

Explosive entrance holo is anything but glass cannon xd, it has the dmg of a glass cannon but the sustain of a bruiser/tank xd and the OP playing with tanky stats on top 

Taking the inventions traitline (and the right traits) (instead of alchemy traitline) gives your build 5 condi cleanses  (3 of which instantly accessible while in holo form). 

- 2 cleanses on Elixir H (cd 25s)

- 1 cleans on Toss Elixir H (cd 25s)

- 1 cleans on Magnetic Shield (cd 20s)

- 1 cleans on Static Shield (cd 24s)

What I would try first:

Inventions (Over Shield, soothing detonation, Anticorrosion Plating) 

Rune: Superior rune of fireworks (lots of power, boon duration and +25% movement speed)

(or stick with your Superior runes of durability if it doesn't bother you not having +25% movement speed, the passive protection will cleans a condi)

And if that is not enough condi cleanses you can always use the Superior Rune of the Antitoxin.

But just as important is studying your enemies build if you want to improve your chances to win (know what to dodge, block, run from, .... , and know his weaknesses, maybe he doesn't have a stunbreak or low amount of condi cleanses , ... ).

ps: there exist more runes that cleans condies (on heal skill and on Elite skill): just go to the wiki and scroll down to runes.

tip: If you record your gameplay, you can always rewatch what exactly happened. ( I use the free open-source program OBS (open broadcaster software). With the right settings you can record 1hour with 1Gb storage. You can deleted all recordings when you are done.)

Edited by santenal.1054
  • Like 1

Sigil of Cleansing + Prismatic Converter does the job well enough to cleanse sigils. Holo Leap breaks immob and gets you out of that mess.

1 hour ago, Arheundel.6451 said:

You have access to 1200 range grenade barrage + chill+explosive entrance, barrier etc etc......sorry man you've got massively outplayed, you lost against an iboga sb shortbow while using one of the strongest roaming specs in WvW atm, a meta build

Grenades stopped being 1200 range since 2015.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MrForz.1953 said:

Grenades stopped being 1200 range since 2015.

This is basically the problem with ~ 2/3 of all Engineer related threads on the forums. Either outdated information or rushed through wiki-entries that lead to wild assumptions of how our class works, what we are capable of and what appears to be massively overpowered.

The phenomenon itself is funny, even entertaining for us. You can quickly spot if the poster can be taken seriously or not. The issue I have with those posts & threads comes from the developers of the balance team. They may take these wrong assumptions as rational reasons for future balance-patches.

So we have to be quick, spot those errors and correct them asap. Before someone starts to believe they are true :S.

Thanks for correcting it! 

16 minutes ago, HnRkLnXqZ.1870 said:

This is basically the problem with ~ 2/3 of all Engineer related threads on the forums. Either outdated information or rushed through wiki-entries that lead to wild assumptions of how our class works, what we are capable of and what appears to be massively overpowered.

The phenomenon itself is funny, even entertaining for us. You can quickly spot if the poster can be taken seriously or not. The issue I have with those posts & threads comes from the developers of the balance team. They may take these wrong assumptions as rational reasons for future balance-patches.

So we have to be quick, spot those errors and correct them asap. Before someone starts to believe they are true :S.

Thanks for correcting it! 

As a wiki editor I'm greatly offended by this. Many of us put in great efforts to keep it up to date (often pre-patch there's even a review of all the skills if there's a preview) and generally the API is also referenced for the damage, range, and other aspects of skills. In fact often times I see some editors more often on the wiki than ingame, so it's a time commitment they don't even need to provide.

Given that none of the key grenade kit damage skills were changed this past week on the wiki I'm not sure what is "corrected". If a tooltip or skill is buggy therefore being incorrect that's a different story.

edit: of course if you mean posters here not even trying a build (i.e. people that don't play engineer whatsoever and just complain about it) or having complete information, however then I would agree with you.

Edited by Infusion.7149

• 2 weeks later...

I think holosmith needs more stealth options. Sacrificing 2 buttons for 5s stealth is too much. Of course he gets owned by wvw soulbeast. My holo will die to any random players lol. More stealthy stealth pretty please? Even singular stealth would be fantastic. How about stealth plus Heat Coolant? I need my holo longer in forge mode to substain its high damage. Also having target breaks would be fantastic

Edited by medivh.4725