Laurels???

On 6/10/2021 at 7:55 AM, Joote.4081 said:

Every one I've spoke with tells me their log-on bag of laurels number between 10 and 15.  Every bag I've received amounts to one. Yes, one kitten laurel.

Come on dev's.  One needs laurels to progress and it's not as if they can be exploited.  The lowest drop should be at the very, very least five.

You really need to stop starving your player base of items they need to go forward and enjoy the game.  It's not like it's money out of your own pocket.

So there's 6 total laurel bags from logins:

One the second day of the week, the number of laurels corresponds to the week of the login rewards you're doing: 1,2,3,4, so over the month, you gain 10 from those 4 bags alone.

Now the other 2 are the day 7 rewards on weeks 1 and 2 with 10 and 15 laurels respectively. This means you should be getting 35 per month. Now I don't know if you only have HoT or the core game if they change your login rewards. I have PoF, but I get 35/month regardless. I believe the monthly chest is another 10-20 if you decide you want those instead of legendary materials.

• Like 1

On 6/10/2021 at 10:07 PM, Joote.4081 said:

I have 2 at the moment.  I was waiting for laurels to buy a recipe (needed 5) So was happy when the a got laurels for logging in, then sad when I found it only contained only one.  One laurel as a log in reward is a bit of a joke don't you think?

Which recipe did you need and what is it for? There may be alternatives to be able to craft the ascended item.

On 6/11/2021 at 7:28 AM, Konrad Curze.5130 said:

yeah no, that hasnt happened. stop lying

Yeah that's right.  I'm lying my head off.  So I may as well up my lie by telling you the last 3 bags of laurels I have received all. contained 1 laurel.

Repairing and clearing my GW2 cache now that I am aware that this is not normal.

4 hours ago, Joote.4081 said:

the last 3 bags of laurels I have received all. contained 1 laurel.

No, you didn't. And repairing/clearing cache has nothing to do with it, but inb4 "woah, it totally fixed it!".

Press H, go to the "achievements" tab (then leave it on top category: "Summary"), take a screenshot and post it here.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

I know you've said you aren't interested in doing any type of farm or work for your ascended accessories, but for what it's worth I think your Laurels could be better spent elsewhere. I only casually play the game from time to time and I have 3 full sets of ascended accessories/rings/neck/back etc pieces from just doing the LW zone farms and it really doesn't take that long to get. 

• Like 2

On 6/12/2021 at 9:49 AM, Joote.4081 said:

Yeah that's right.  I'm lying my head off.  So I may as well up my lie by telling you the last 3 bags of laurels I have received all. contained 1 laurel.

Repairing and clearing my GW2 cache now that I am aware that this is not normal.

gets told to stop lying

lies even harder

oh GW2 community, never change

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

It's easy to save up enough Yannys for anything, just from logging in regularly. Don't rush, there isn't anything essential sold for Yannys, so just let them accumulate, and set other goals in the meantime. Come back every now and then and enjoy your new purchase. 

On 6/11/2021 at 1:38 PM, LuRkEr.9462 said:

If you want to get an ascended trinket then how is it going out of your way to get them with living world materials? You are doing something to meet a goal, that doesn't fall into the category of out of the way. 

You would get the trinket much faster using living world materials, else you could choose the slow route from daily login rewards but then you have to accept the fact that it will be slow.

Compared to logging in an clicking one button it is going out of the way.

• Like 3

This thread got me curious, so I had a look. Today is day 7 in the 28-day login cycle  for me so I expected a 10-laurel chest, which I got.

Just to make sure I checked my laurels before opening the chest and after. My laurel count went up by 10. So this seems to work as advertised.

If the OP finds this not to be the case I suggest they put in a ticket to support for assistance 🙂

Edited by Zohane.7208
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, LuRkEr.9462 said:

One could argue that waiting months for your ascended trinkets is going out of the way also.

To clarify: it was me who mentioned using laurels for ascended trinkets, not the OP.

And yes if you didn't already have the laurels and had to wait for months to save up enough for a set of trinkets that would be impractical. But I've been playing since before laurels were introduced so I got all the one-off things like minis, skins, recipes etc. years ago and now they just build up unless I use them for crafting materials or something.

Also I don't like farming and have limited time to play each day so I don't have any type of farming routine I do every day (or even every week), otherwise I'd have even less time for the stuff I want to do. I gather materials either when I know I need them for something or when I happen to be in that map and passing the nodes.

As a result when a new character gets to level 80 or changes their build and needs new trinkets I've typically got hundreds of laurels in my wallet and very little (maybe 20-30 at most) of each map currency. If I want to use a 3-stat combination which is available with laurels that's effectively free and I can buy them immediately, compared to having to commit time to farming the materials to get them from season 3/4 vendors.

There are also still people who don't have access to season 3 or 4 maps and would be faced with months of farming gold and/or saving up real money to buy them before they can even start farming the materials themselves. Especially since I don't think it's possible to get a full set of trinkets from 1 map, so you'd need to buy at least 2 I think.

Even so I brought it up only as an example of a possible use for laurels when we were discussing whether or not they're useless. I didn't expect it to become such a big talking point.

• Like 2

In general, as far as obtaining ascended gear is concerned, laurels were from the very beginning considered to be a fallback mechanism. Originally you were supposed to obtain rings from fractals, and trinkets from guild missions. Laurels offered a secondary possibility, but, from the beginning, they were supposed to be an inferior, backup option.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

In general, as far as obtaining ascended gear is concerned, laurels were from the very beginning considered to be a fallback mechanism. Originally you were supposed to obtain rings from fractals, and trinkets from guild missions. Laurels offered a secondary possibility, but, from the beginning, they were supposed to be an inferior, backup option.

Hence why they never cared to add the new stat combos to the laurel vendors? We were all supposed to earn selectable stat ones from fractals?

5 minutes ago, Firebeard.1746 said:

Hence why they never cared to add the new stat combos to the laurel vendors? We were all supposed to earn selectable stat ones from fractals?

Well, by the time stat-selectables became available (which was in ls3), laurel option was so much behind it was probably simply forgotten. As many of their other ideas that were introduced once byt never improved upon later.

But yes, the reason why new stat combos weren't added to laurel vendor is almost certainly because that vendor was never meant to be a primary source for ascended accesories.

Edited by Astralporing.1957
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Well, by the time stat-selectables became available (which was in ls3), laurel option was so much behind it was probably simply forgotten. As many of their other ideas that were introduced once byt never improved upon later.

But yes, the reason why new stat combos weren't added to laurel vendor is almost certainly because that vendor was never meant to be a primary source for ascended accesories.

IIRC it was meant to be the primary source for amulets since there was no other source.

For rings there was fractal and for accessories there was guild missions.

Back was also fractal but the stats available was very limited.

3 hours ago, Khisanth.2948 said:

IIRC it was meant to be the primary source for amulets since there was no other source.

For rings there was fractal and for accessories there was guild missions.

Back was also fractal but the stats available was very limited.

You're right, forgot about amulets.  Backpacks originally having very limited stat availability was just a result of backpack options in general being very limited at this point (in many ways, fractal backpacks offered even more stat options than other, sub-ascended level 80 choices available then)