Jump to content
  • Sign Up

Recommended Posts

Members can still not post images in the new forum format for example from imgur images like the old forum.  So that's a nope for me because sometimes it helps to be able to post images .  This new forum seems like a down grade from the 2017 Vanilla version.   The old Vanilla also had video embedding.   The current forum is clunky and not as good as the previous IMO. 

Edited by JustTrogdor.7892
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JustTrogdor.7892 said:

Members can still not post images in the new forum format for example from imgur images like the old forum.  So that's a nope for me because sometimes it helps to be able to post images .  This new forum seems like a down grade from the 2017 Vanilla version.   The old Vanilla also had video embedding.   The current forum is clunky and not as good as the previous IMO. 

It's also a copy of warframe forums.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JustTrogdor.7892 said:

Members can still not post images in the new forum format for example from imgur images like the old forum.  So that's a nope for me because sometimes it helps to be able to post images .  This new forum seems like a down grade from the 2017 Vanilla version.   The old Vanilla also had video embedding.   The current forum is clunky and not as good as the previous IMO. 

I see. Didnt know any of that

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Also, quoting posts is a bit of a joke...no nesting.

I wish we could see which posts have Dev posts in them; and/or a quick way to find said Dev post. 

I miss the Carousel.

 

On the other hand, we (so far) don't get the weekly Vanilla bugs. 

The "dev tracker" section doesnt catalog all dev posts?

Edited by Eddbopkins.2630
Corrected spelling
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Eddbopkins.2630 said:

Its probably been said befor, but The more i use this forum the more im impressed with it. From video embedding, to notifications all the way to following other users posts. Freaken amazing for real.

I like how responsive these forums are compared to the ones we use to have.  They're way more efficient to me.

Edited by reapex.8546
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

In my experience creating your own forum software is likely to be a waste of time. At best you spend a lot of time (and if it's a company doing it money) to end up with something virtually identical to what someone else has already created and then have to keep putting in more time and money to maintain and update it. At worst you put in a comparable amount of time and money to end up with something worse than you could have gotten 'out of the box'.

 

There's several options available to buy or use under various licences and at least some of them allow admins to create and install custom plugins if they want features which aren't available by default (several years ago I was on a forum with a lot of RPG features built in, you'd earn currencies for different types of post, could use them to buy materials and craft items from them to use in other posts).

 

It also has the possible advantage for users that they might recognise the forum software from somewhere else and therefore know how a lot of things work instead of having to figure it all out again.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Unpopular opinion, but I find the forum terrible. It seems so cluttered with all the "top posters", "heaps of emoy-reaction" and I had to turn off so many notifications when I noticed the forum was changed ~~.

I click on the plus near the "quote" so often. Why would I want to just save a quote? What is the point behind this button?

 

And in the beginning I was so confused because posts were displayed that I couldn't see when I wasn't logged in because they are displayed delayed.

 

Oh and the Twitter-inbed is so annoying when you're on the tablet. Is there a way to turn that off?

Edited by Fuchslein.8639
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fuchslein.8639 said:

 

I click on the plus near the "quote" so often. Why would I want to just save a quote? What is the point behind this button?

 

 

That button enables you to select multiple posts to quote in your response.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Fuchslein.8639 said:

 

Oh~ i see. 

I still do not see the sense behind it, but well ... to each his own.

It makes it easier to reply to more than one person in a single post rather than having to do multiple posts with 1 quote in each. Either because there's been a lot of activity since last time you were in the topic and there's multiple things you want to reply to, or if you want to reply to someone who quoted another person and both are important for context. (That last one could be fixed with nested quotes, but for some reason the forum doesn't do that.)

 

It also enables you to quote a post in a different topic, which might be important sometimes. For example if there's a problem with the game and lots of people start topics about it and a dev responds to one of them other posters can easily quote that reply in other threads so everyone knows what's been said.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, HappyHubris.1096 said:

This forum software is better than every other forum that I have used - it's light years ahead of my other communities.

If we could embed pictures in posts and get rid of the pointless Twitter window I'd agree.

 

The twitter window is a minor annoyance, it's pointless and means everything further down the page is shifted over to one side so I'd like to get rid of it but it's not preventing me using the forum. But not being able to embed pictures in posts makes a lot of discussions more hassle than they need to be. Not just talking about fashion and character customisation, but also things like helping someone figure out what's going wrong with their game, it's much easier with screenshots but having to use links to open them in separate windows is annoying, especially on a phone.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

It makes it easier to reply to more than one person in a single post rather than having to do multiple posts with 1 quote in each. Either because there's been a lot of activity since last time you were in the topic and there's multiple things you want to reply to, or if you want to reply to someone who quoted another person and both are important for context. (That last one could be fixed with nested quotes, but for some reason the forum doesn't do that.)

 

It also enables you to quote a post in a different topic, which might be important sometimes. For example if there's a problem with the game and lots of people start topics about it and a dev responds to one of them other posters can easily quote that reply in other threads so everyone knows what's been said.

I was aware of that.
It was more about how many people use it.
However, I am also no longer so active to see how muchpeople here are arguing. I know some are very passionate about it.

I was just wondering why things like easy picture insertion are not present, but something like this has found its way here. Since I do not understand the thinking behind this

But I don't understand a lot of the things that anet does so, well..

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Fuchslein.8639 said:

I was just wondering why things like easy picture insertion are not present, but something like this has found its way here.

 

 

The multi quote function was probably baked into the forum software so not something they added.   The ability to post images was also available when Anet introduced this version of the forum.  But they seem to have disabled it a few days later for some reason even though the feature was available in all previous versions.  We don't know why as Anet has not made a statement on it.  Anet took some feedback on the new forum and addressed a few early concerns and then vanished from the thread. 

Edited by JustTrogdor.7892
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Eddbopkins.2630 said:

Its probably been said befor, but The more i use this forum the more im impressed with it. From video embedding, to notifications all the way to following other users posts. Freaken amazing for real.

Well, instead of "Freaken amazing" I'd rather settle for "finally we have a forum that's up to early 2000's industry standards". But the fact that I can block people and don't have to read what certain users are writing is certainly a plus.

Edited by lokh.2695
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

If we could...get rid of the pointless Twitter window....

 

Another thread talked about using an ad-blocker to hide it. If you use one, just look for the "en-forum.guildwars2.com###ipsLayout_sidebar" element (maybe "...sidebarright" as well) and block that/them. It worked great for me and gives me almost the full width of the screen for the actual threads.

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Yggranya.5201 said:

 

Warframe forums is like, what, at least 8 years old? I guess you could say that "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" but i'm not impressed.

It's just IP.Board, which has been around forever.  One might say Warframe copied it from other Invision forums if you're going to go that route.

Edited by Chaba.5410
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...