Best way to Karma farm?

There's a whole to-do around Wintersday involving using a number of buffs and completing certain activities each day which usually nets me somewhere around 5 million karma (wawee!) by the end of the festival. When that's not a thing, you can also purchase Karmic Retribution in Sandswept Isles and get up to 200 karma per kill; no idea if this is the most efficient method, but I do know the map's full of grouped up mobs and also quite pretty so you can enjoy your murdering spree with a nice island beach backdrop.

This wiki article has a section called 'Maximizing karma gain' which shows you a tidy list of things you can use together to maximize the karma you get from sources affected by said buffs, so that's always handy to be aware of no matter where you choose to farm.

Might be better ways, but these are my usual go-to methods.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, AgentMoore.9453 said:

There's a whole to-do around Wintersday involving using a number of buffs and completing certain activities each day which usually nets me somewhere around 5 million karma (wawee!) by the end of the festival. When that's not a thing, you can also purchase Karmic Retribution in Sandswept Isles and get up to 200 karma per kill; no idea if this is the most efficient method, but I do know the map's full of grouped up mobs and also quite pretty so you can enjoy your murdering spree with a nice island beach backdrop.

This wiki article has a section called 'Maximizing karma gain' which shows you a tidy list of things you can use together to maximize the karma you get from sources affected by said buffs, so that's always handy to be aware of no matter where you choose to farm.

Might be better ways, but these are my usual go-to methods.

Thank you so much! I really appreciate the thorough answer and links!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Hi!  You can find some answers using the forums search feature.  For example, here's a previous thread I found doing just that.  😉

Thank you, I just figured that things might have changed in 8 month! Apparently not so x3

Stuff that can be done when Wintersday is not going on:

LW 3 & LW4 Dailies

In terms of effort/result, they give the most. It is a daily rotation of one map per season. Each map has 3-4 daily tasks. Each task results in 3x chests. One of those chests contains 1x Sip of Liquid Karma worth 1,500 karma. So completing one daily task results in 4,500 karma. Completing all four of a single map results in 18,000 karma. Complete all four on both maps, you end up with 36,000 Karma. 

LW5/IBS Dailies

They also give Sips of Liquid Karma, but only one per completed task. On the other hand, they are active on all maps (Grothmar Valley, Bjora MarchesDrizzlewood Coast) every day, so you can get a total of 18,000 Karma from all those dailies. Compared to the LW3 & LW4 ones, it is a lot more work. 

Tequatl - 13,000 karma for completing the worldboss.

I have a very high demand of karma myself. When participating in any kinds of events, I always run with:

- an ascended amulet equipped with a Karmic Enrichment

Peppermint Omnomberry Bar

Peppermint Oil

If you run those and have a little karma-bonus from your account, you can get up to 1,000+ karma from completing hearts in LW/Expansion maps. Which is a nice bonus if you run those above mentioned dailies. Does not enhance consumeables, but all event/heart karma that is instantly granted.

Edited by HnRkLnXqZ.1870
Added IBS dailies
  • Like 5

Just curious: What do you need karma for, for crafting a legendary? Obsidian? I get mine from unbound magic instead, which I get via nodes and harvesting with unbound glyphs. Might want to look up what you need karma for and decide if that is the easiest way to get what you need.

8 minutes ago, DeanBB.4268 said:

Just curious: What do you need karma for, for crafting a legendary? Obsidian? I get mine from unbound magic instead, which I get via nodes and harvesting with unbound glyphs. Might want to look up what you need karma for and decide if that is the easiest way to get what you need.

Thank you for the tip! And yes I'll need it for obsidians.

Do you have the Ley-Energy Matter Converter?  I check that every single day and if the Medium or Large bag of obsidian is an option, I buy it (you need HoT currencies).  Thanks to that converter, I am drowning in obsidian, but I'm saving it up to see if the new expac will use it in a way that interests me.

• Like 3

If you need obsidian shards then the optimal way to farm berries on the Bitterfrost map and then convert them to unbound magic so that you can purchase the shards from the vendor. This is much quicker than farming the karma. You also used to lazily farm them by doing LS3 dailies but Anet killed that when they nerfed them.  

Edited by Ayrilana.1396
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Don't forget - if you don't mind the Silverwastes and RIBA, you can also get obsidian shards from the buried chests (the Dry Top chests also drop them).  If you are in a Guild with a POF guild hall the Ore nodes drop them as well. Not guaranteed but I have had good luck with it.

Personally, I run WvW when I am in need of Karma but also understand that's not a game mode everyone enjoys. 

Edited by Zushada.6108
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Kanimae.1735 said:

Hello! I am a returning player and have set my sights on crafting a legendary. As such I need lots of karma and am wondering what is currently the best way to farm it!

Thank you and have a wonderful day today!

The Karma is for Obsidian Shards correct? You can get a lot from RIBA in the Silverwastes via Lost Bandit Chest - Guild Wars 2 Wiki (GW2W)

• Like 1

From my experience...

Winterberries: Best way to target farm Obsidian Shards. Convert berries to UM then buy shards. If you have enough characters, you can easily get a stack of shards in a day. If you have the karma upgrades purchased for the map, you also get a ton of karma from enemies you kill along the way.

Silverwastes: Not as good as above if you want to target farm shards, but you also get a lot of other materials, too.

Converters (Ley Energy Matter Converter, Karmic Converter): Best way to passively get shards, as long as you have the currencies. Cheaper than other sources, but on a daily time gate.

Vendors (Straits of Devastation, HoT maps): Fast way to purchase shards, but more expensive than converters.

Edited by BlueJin.4127
  • Like 4

Max karmic retribution on Sandswept Isles and destroy krabs and moa's near Anniogel Encampment Waypoint (shoreline facing the other island were the robot is). 200 karma per kill-> 50.000 Karma in 30 min. You will never have to wait for wintersday ever again... and not worry about getting karma ever again lol.

Edited by Hemi.5267
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Zushada.6108 said:

Don't forget - if you don't mind the Silverwastes and RIBA, you can also get obsidian shards from the buried chests (the Dry Top chests also drop them).  If you are in a Guild with a POF guild hall the Ore nodes drop them as well. Not guaranteed but I have had good luck with it.

Personally, I run WvW when I am in need of Karma but also understand that's not a game mode everyone enjoys. 

I totally forgot to mention, you can buy a Karmic Enrichment from a Laurel vendor for 10 Laurels which you can place into an ascended amulet. This will give you a 15% boost in Karma gain. I use one and it does help. 

Edited by Zushada.6108
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Zushada.6108 said:

I totally forgot to mention, you can buy a Karmic Enrichment from a Laurel vendor for 10 Laurels which you can place into an ascended amulet. This will give you a 15% boost in Karma gain. I use one and it does help. 

Notice, though, that this Karmic Enrichment (item) and the Karmic Retribution mentioned earlier(map-specific effect) do not stack. The Karmic Enrichment, as well as all the buffs that offer +% to Karma only increase direct karma gains (mostly from events). They do not work on Karma you obtain from consumable items (like those you get for doing dailies, or those generated by map-specific Karmic Retribution buffs).

Edited by Astralporing.1957
  • Like 1

• 11 months later...
On 6/12/2021 at 7:39 AM, Hemi.5267 said:

Max karmic retribution on Sandswept Isles and destroy krabs and moa's near Anniogel Encampment Waypoint (shoreline facing the other island were the robot is). 200 karma per kill-> 50.000 Karma in 30 min. You will never have to wait for wintersday ever again... and not worry about getting karma ever again lol.

i think they nerfed karmic retribution, i found that spot as well, but after getting your first 250 about 20 mins worth they dont drop as often, to clarify, i have found every kill gives me one karmic retribution, after your first 250 it might be 1 every 2 kills, after another 50, 1 in 3 kills, after that its totally pointless..

not sure why no one else has mentioned this, but this is absolutely what happens to me why i try and farm up some karma

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, doc.9162 said:

not sure why no one else has mentioned this, but this is absolutely what happens to me why i try and farm up some karma

This is good to know, and I'll have to check it out next time I'm in Sandswept. When I go after karma there, I usually do a casual circuit around the entire map (doing events and grabbing resources on the way), so maybe what you're encountering is diminishing returns from farming the same area for too long? I'll report back with what I find out.

EDIT: Spent the past hour swimming up and down the central channel making the ocean extremely angry. No change at 250 kills, 1:1 kill-to-karma loot ratio. Slight dropoff at 280 kills (2:1) and finally a noticeable drop at 300 (3:1).

I typically don't stay past a single stack of karmic retribution which may explain why I haven't noticed this previously, but I don't recall it ever being in the patch notes so it's possible that it's always been like this and they're hoping you'll make this farm part of your daily routine and not your entire daily routine.

Edited by AgentMoore.9453
Science!
  • Like 1